Celebrity is celebrating Apex arrival

verizon

On 3/19/2020 at 7:43 PM, drakes2 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Just cancelled our May 30th on Apex out of Rome. I'm so sad was really looking forward to my first Mediterranean cruise and put in so much time researching countries and may not happen again.

RCCL, Carnival, and NCL reworked their financing. They have enough Money in the bank to carry them thru the rest of this year. without sailing one ship.

• Like 2

3/26/2020

seatrade-cruise.com
  •  

Celebrity Apex crew test positive

Seven crew members aboard Celebrity Apex at Chantiers de l'Atlantique have tested positive for COVID-19, according to the regional health agency. The ship has been at the yard, ready for hand-over, with some 1,400 crew who've had to remain on board due to French regulations. 

Though it's understood no Chantiers employees or subcontractors had been on board for a week, two people on the ship reportedly had tested positive and were isolated on board. Even so, a large crew party was held March 21.

The photo posted by the OP was on March 19 so prior to the large crew party on March 21. In either case within a 14 day incubation period.  So it likely was around on March 19-21.  So I wonder when the 2 crew members got tested?  That is such unfortunate news for these poor crew members and the rest of the APEX crew.  Yes I know some will rightly say "I Told You So" about the photo and social distancing.  But I hope the virus can be kept in check on the ship now.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

But I hope the virus can be kept in check on the ship now.

Agreed.
This is heartbreaking. We have crew member friends who are on board. ❤️

We are keeping all of the crew in our thoughts and prayers and hope that will see them again in October.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

According to local French news the hand over scheduled for March 20th had been postponed. On Sunday 22nd the ship yard decided to close down everything starting Monday 23rd and nobody was allowed to leave the ship anymore. On Tuesday 24th some crew members showed symptoms and were tested on Wednesday. Yesterday, Thursday 26th, 7 tests came back positive.

Here´s the latest article of today. This article does not speak of 14 cases but still of 7. These persons had 78 contacts. A medical team is onboard testing the subcontractors (which are on board!!) first. RCCL is flying in tests from the US so all crew can be tested.

steamboats

30 minutes ago, steamboats said:

According to local French news the hand over scheduled for March 20th had been postponed. On Sunday 22nd the ship yard decided to close down everything starting Monday 23rd and nobody was allowed to leave the ship anymore. On Tuesday 24th some crew members showed symptoms and were tested on Wednesday. Yesterday, Thursday 26th, 7 tests came back positive.

Here´s the latest article of today. This article does not speak of 14 cases but still of 7. These persons had 78 contacts. A medical team is onboard testing the subcontractors (which are on board!!) first. RCCL is flying in tests from the US so all crew can be tested.

steamboats

The same article appears to have been updated to 7 again, glad I took a screenshot of it saying 14 earlier.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/march-26-updates-celebrity-apex-crew-test-positive-sick-costa-crew-evacuated-vasco-da-gama

21 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Apex was formally handed over to Celebrity today apparently.

I’m doubting we will see it debut in Southampton though.

Of course not as all cruises from Southampton have been canceled already.

1 hour ago, dandee2 said:

Neither is the crew.  No shore leave for this group.  

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/celebrity-takes-virtual-delivery-apex-signals-first-sailing-may-20

1)  Same site from before also states 29 infected, matching the other source

2)  Only those who showed symptoms have been tested, the entire crew will eventually be tested (expect many more infections)

3)  X formally announced today that the Apex's debut would be May 20 out of Barcelona (no possible way)

4)  If you're looking for a 125% FCC, it's a fairly safe bet you'll get it if you book the May 20th cruise

5)  This is quiet now, this "ironic" story is about to virus (pardon my terrible pun)

Whoever was responsible for that gathering for the picture should receive a reprimand at a minimum.   This whole matter should not be treated as a joke.  Where is common sense here?  

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 8:03 PM, Saab4444 said:

Of course not as all cruises from Southampton have been canceled already.

I have read that Apex will sail out of Barcelona on May 20th, so therefore not home porting in Southampton.

I have just had a facetime call from one of the staff on Apex.
they are all together since February - basically under quarantene.
Even the local workers must stay on the ship, so there should be no issue with infection that requires social distancing.

so, there you go!

Well so much for no issue with infection. That was totally wrong.

Whoever is responsible for the photo and crew party should suffer consequences. They totally ignored what was happening in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums