Refund or FCC

KennyFla

What is the likelihood of Mediterranean cruises going ahead?  I noticed on MSC USA, if I cancel now I will only FCC valid until end of 2021,  however if they cancel, currently for cruises up to April 30th only,   MSC will offer 125% FCC or full refund.   Our cruise is on the Grandiosa 2nd May from Marseille, I think very unlikely it will go ahead with the current situation, should we wait for cancellation to occur?   I rather have a full refund than trying to plan ahead.

• Like 1

Almost the same boat as you Antiq....literally! 8th out of Barcelona, looking less likely daily, Spain lockdown may be extended to April 15th.........refund preferred so leaving it in MSCs hands.Although if they try this " refunds paid in 2021" nonsense i will be very displeased.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seanocelt said:

Although if they try this " refunds paid in 2021" nonsense i will be very displeased.

Refunds will be given AFTER dec 31th 2021 so not before January 2022 and maybe later.....   not an acceptable option for me

And the 125% is not on the full amount. When you pay for a cruise, the total amount is one part for the cruise and one for taxes. The 125% will be ONLY the cruise portion which in my case almost 50/50

Edited by Casanova02
  • Like 2

We took full refund because we dont know when we will be able to cruise again or if we chose MSC when we book again. Depends on offers, personally I want to try an Oasis-ship, but not at all cost.   In Norway we wil get full refund when sail date is passed aswell, nothing stated about having to wait until 2022, that wont be legal accouring to consumer laws either. 

• Like 1

We turned down the generous FCC fr the following reasons....

1st because we are old and who knows how long this situation will last.

It is my understanding that FCC cannot be used for a down payment which means more cash laid out.

Some cruiselines currently require the whole amount used at once. Who knows what the  rules will be when we rebook. We stand to lose $ if that is so because we might be a cheaper cruise.

There is the remote possibility that the cruiselines might have to declare bankruptcy and reorganize before starting up again.

If that happens, all debts and FCC will no longer be honored.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 3:55 AM, mmt44 said:

Will the portion of the 125% FCC that is not used in the new booking be refunded or cruise credit?

As per MSC, difference issued as FCC, not a refund. Now the question is, expiration date of “new” FCC. Original date or date new cruise is booked?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking the cash refund. The 125% is not that big of a deal for me, especially with it just being my wife and I and already booked in YC. That and if this year is wiped out for the cruise industry, there are going to be a few cruise lines that don't come out of this, or perhaps a few may restructure with a bankruptcy. I know that's negative, but it is a huge possibility. I'll take my refund and book another cruise when all this is over when I can see how the cards will fall. 

• Like 1

ok I'd like some help clarifying a couple of things since this is all new.

Our May 2nd cruise was cancelled and I'm thinking of taking the 125% FCC but have a couple of questions.

1. I understand that when we take the FCC that we will be refunded Taxes/Fees and get FCC for 125% of booking price. Correct?

2. When I rebook a new cruise, can the FCC be applied toward those taxes/fees for the new cruise?

3. If my new booking is less than the FCC can I use the remaining credit for payment of onboard extras? Tips, Drink Plan, etc.?

Thanks in advance. Jason

9 hours ago, jmoak said:

ok I'd like some help clarifying a couple of things since this is all new.

Our May 2nd cruise was cancelled and I'm thinking of taking the 125% FCC but have a couple of questions.

1. I understand that when we take the FCC that we will be refunded Taxes/Fees and get FCC for 125% of booking price. Correct?

2. When I rebook a new cruise, can the FCC be applied toward those taxes/fees for the new cruise?

3. If my new booking is less than the FCC can I use the remaining credit for payment of onboard extras? Tips, Drink Plan, etc.?

Thanks in advance. Jason

Not sure of any of your answers and the rules seem to be changing all the time now.

I am especially interested in peoples opinions on your 3rd question because...

it is my understanding that that the FCC must be used ALL AT ONCE AND CANNOT BE APPLIED FOR THE DOWN PAYMENT.

In other words, unless you pay in full at time of booking, you would have to pay cash for the down payment and then the FCC for the rest. I have also heard that would be the end of your FCC. You cannot carry over any balance for anything else like OBC or another cruise.

I have a cruise in June that I know will be cancelled.  We are now leaning on just getting the cash back because I think there are going to be to many complications with the FCC.

I'm sure each country is different, but in the US if your FCC is more than your new cruise cost you will get a new FCC with the remaining amount

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/COVID-Cruise-Cancellation-FAQ.aspx

• Like 1