White House Announcement

sanmarcosman

13 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I haven’t seen any parties. New Orleans is dead. Bourbon street was shut down on Sunday. All bars in the state are closed. Restaurants are only open for delivery and carryout. Radio station people are broadcasting from their homes.
ahttps://www.earthcam.com/usa/louisiana/neworleans/bourbonstreet/?cam=bourbonstreet

Just about the same here in Texas. All over the state. I still go out to forage for. essentials. Here in Arlington, I can see a slow...very slow returning to sanity. Store shelves are being restocked. Still lot's of empty shelves. But not  as empty as last week. It will take weeks,, if not months to return to normalcy. That's to be expected.  Bars are all closed. Restaurants are all closed, except for order on line for delivery and carry out. Our governor just declared today that people can order mixed drinks for delivery. Wow. What a concept.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Just about the same here in Texas. All over the state. I still go out to forage for. essentials. Here in Arlington, I can see a slow...very slow returning to sanity. Store shelves are being restocked. Still lot's of empty shelves. But not  as empty as last week. It will take weeks,, if not months to return to normalcy. That's to be expected.  Bars are all closed. Restaurants are all closed, except for order on line for delivery and carry out. Our governor just declared today that people can order mixed drinks for delivery. Wow. What a concept.

I have only been in a store once since the madness started. Just went in the dollar general to pickup some coffee. The lady in front of me had cases of water stacked over her head. The guy behind me had a 64 pack of toilet paper under each arm. I just had a 12 oz bag of coffee. I looked around and thought...should I be buying more stuff? Nah.

I just go to work and come home. The outdoor shopping mall by my work is dead. All of the stores are closed. Movie theater even pulled the posters out of the cases. They have hand sanitizer dispensers on every corner.

I have been picking up food to take home this week. I feel bad for the restaurant owners. 

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

They do own an Italian cruise line. Probably every captain they have is from Italy. Italy is in bad shape right now. I could see it there.

True! I was referring to Carnival the brand, not the corp....If all the Costa ships want to return to help the Italian people ...I say All the best,but Carnival needs to stay to help out in North America (US and Canada)

I am not sure the offer was for CCL ships only, in fact the wording implies they are not. I have no idea how feasible they could be assisting.  After Katrina when Micky offered up assistance the first time, it was workers, this would be substantially more complex. Listening to the mayor in Gotham earlier, they needed every ship in every fleet.  We are in strange times....

56 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

They do own an Italian cruise line. Probably every captain they have is from Italy. Italy is in bad shape right now. I could see it there.

Beyond horrible conditions. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

******  We will now resume out regular programming, i.e. the offer to use Carnival ships as temporary hospitals ******

Thank you.

But here's a question I have not seen asked about this. Where will the crews of these ships go? Obviously a ship converted to a hospital will need medical personnel instead of the normal crew. Other than those who prepare the food, who would be needed?

I wonder if they are going to use tablecloths or continue the cutbacks?

On a more serious note, I wonder how many more people this scares away from cruising because of fears from the ships being previously used to house "sick people"

I had mentioned the idea of using cruise ships as hospital ships to my dh a week or 2 ago as they were sitting idle.  I think I remember cruise ships being used during an Olympics to house athletes.  So glad CCL is stepping up.  

I wonder if they are going to use tablecloths or continue the cutbacks?

On a more serious note, I wonder how many more people this scares away from cruising because of fears from the ships being previously used to house "sick people"
I think they will cut back on a lot of things after this crisis because of the huge losses

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Thank you.

But here's a question I have not seen asked about this. Where will the crews of these ships go? Obviously a ship converted to a hospital will need medical personnel instead of the normal crew. Other than those who prepare the food, who would be needed?

I would guess some of the ships employees may be able to remain employed and working on the ship. They will still need housekeeping help. I assume food will be provided onboard. So they'll need cooks and servers (maybe only delivering to cabins). ship medical staff may be asked to assist. In my opinion, any jobs that can be saved during this time is a great thing! 

I've also heard that Carnival made this offer only asking that they be reimbursed for their costs during the time period this is enacted which I assume would include any salaries for personnel who remain on the ship to assist. Just speculation but it makes sense. 

19 hours ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

Well, the good news is the newer testing kits and procedures get results MUCH faster, so they should (hopefully) only allow people on the ship who have a negative test result. 

What, the offer is to house sick people on the ship if hospitals become overwhelmed. 

On 3/19/2020 at 9:24 AM, sanmarcosman said:

Mickey Arison has agreed to assign Carnival ships as facilities to house people during the current crisis if needed. 

Darn, I'm going to buy a few shares of CCL and remember this next time I noodle RCCL or Disney versus one of the CCL lines, beyond Kudos, what a great thing for the company..

The only ?   why did Diamond really have so much x-transmission needs to be mitigated before they use the ships

It's a very nice gesture by Carnival, but if they weren't currently shut down and were operating as usual, how generous would they have been? Let's not forget that, if the government takes them up on their offer, Carnival will be generously compensated. Government contracts, which is essentially what it would amount to, are almost always quite lucrative.

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Like 1