How are the Swans doing 2020

Hi mates

Ā 

I may be a little late (or maybe just in time?), the season might have started already, but with all the bad stuff going on with coronavirus, let's talk some footballĀ šŸ˜€

Ā 

I heard that the Swans already lost 2 pre-season games, Buddy's out hurt, and heĀ and his wife have a new baby (awwwww). What is happening with the rest of the teams? Who is favored to win it all? Also heardĀ that games will be played with no spectators (thanks LeighĀ šŸ˜‰)

Ā 

I predict that, after a slow start, the Swans will rise again, make the playoffs and finish in the top 4.

Ā 

Go Swans!

• Like 1

Richmond (Tigers) played Carlton (Blues) last night at an empty MCG. Very odd atmosphere! Richmond won by 24 points after looking like they were going to win by a lot more than that in the first half but Carlton came back strongly in the 2nd half.Ā 
Ā 

Leigh

5 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Hi Leigh. I can't imagine what it is like in a stadium, with a real game being played and no fans. I wonder if the players like it better?

Ā 

Maybe Carlton will do better this year?

It would be very odd I think ML. I certainly hope Carlton donā€™t do better this season. šŸ˜€ It will be a very strange season and could be suspended at anytime if a player tests positive andĀ I would think that is quite a possibility.

Ā 

Leigh

10 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Hi Leigh. I can't imagine what it is like in a stadium, with a real game being played and no fans. I wonder if the players like it better?

Ā 

Maybe Carlton will do better this year?

Doubt the players prefer playing in an empty stadium.

Ā 

As a long (suffering ) Carlton Blues supporter I'm looking forward to improvement but the season is unlikely to get far before one player in the comp gets infected which will bring the season to a halt.

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

It would be very odd I think ML. I certainly hope Carlton donā€™t do better this season. šŸ˜€ It will be a very strange season and could be suspended at anytime if a player tests positive andĀ I would think that is quite a possibility.

Ā 

Leigh

Ā 

3 hours ago, bazshirl2 said:

Ā 

As a long (suffering ) Carlton Blues supporter I'm looking forward to improvement but the season is unlikely to get far before one player in the comp gets infected which will bring the season to a halt.

Ā 

Has the league said this? I wouldn't be surprised. In fact, I'm a bit surprised they are proceeding with the games but I suppose if no players are showing symptoms or test positive, why not.

Ā 

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

Ā 

Leigh

Ā 

3 hours ago, bazshirl2 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Has the league said this? I wouldn't be surprised. In fact, I'm a bit surprised they are proceeding with the games but I suppose if no players are showing symptoms or test positive, why not.

Ā 

Effectively, yes. All players in that team would then have to self isolate so the AFL would then have to suspend if not cancel.

They have reduced the playing time and the season but I suspect are deferring the inevitable.

However, given the passion of supporters and the need to bring some good news, believe it is worth a try even short term.

Ā 

• Like 2

They have shortened the season due to COVID-19 but started on time and will go until Xmas if need to complete the games. Personally, I think that is just stupid. Start the season when fans can attend (2 months late or whatever) and then play the games twice a week if needed to finish the season.

I would love to be in the room when they make these decisions, it sometimes seems inconsistent. The US has canceled all sporting events, even without fans, so you guys are in better shape than us.

Ā 

Could the players do 2 games a week--that seems like too short a time to recover, maybe more injuries?

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

They have shortened the season due to COVID-19 but started on time and will go until Xmas if need to complete the games. Personally, I think that is just stupid. Start the season when fans can attend (2 months late or whatever) and then play the games twice a week if needed to finish the season.

If they wait until the fans can attend, then they'll be waiting until 2021.Ā  Fans will not see a single live game this year.

3 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The league has said that they will stop for a minimum of 30 days if/when the first player tests positive.Ā  They will then rinse & repeat until they finish the season, or Christmas, whichever comes first.

Ā 

Never underestimate the stupidity and greed of AFL footballers, and greed of the game's administrators.

2 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

I would love to be in the room when they make these decisions, it sometimes seems inconsistent. The US has canceled all sporting events, even without fans, so you guys are in better shape than us.

Ā 

Could the players do 2 games a week--that seems like too short a time to recover, maybe more injuries?

The plan is supposedly to play with 5-day turnarounds between games.Ā  This is pretty much the minimum players need to recover from what is a very physical game.Ā  They want to get as many games in as possible before the inevitable shutdown comes.

9 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

The plan is supposedly to play with 5-day turnarounds between games.Ā  This is pretty much the minimum players need to recover from what is a very physical game.Ā  They want to get as many games in as possible before the inevitable shutdown comes.

If they are worried about physical fatigue perhaps play 10 min quarters instead.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

They've cut them down from 20 + time on, to 16 + time on.

Cut them again, however, other professional sports can manage to play 2 full games a week for 41 weeks in a row (Soccer in Europe) so don't know why Aussie athletes cannot.

11 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

They've cut them down from 20 + time on, to 16 + time on.

I donā€™tĀ understand why if trying to shorten the quarters there is still time on called.Ā 
Ā 

Leigh