Use your government check for stock purchase.

cementhands

If I want to give money away it will be to local workers in my neighborhood who need assistance, not to a foreign company who flies under foreign flags. If they go under that's their issue to deal with just like so many other companies that have gone under before.

• Like 14

Buying stock does not keep a company afloat.   NCL gets none of the money.    Buy stock if you think it is a good buy right now.  That is fine, but buying or not buying stock will not help the industry.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

When you purchase a stock, none of it goes to the company.  Stock is traded between investors after its IPO.  Now, NCL execs own a majority of the stock so you would be helping them get some of their wealth back(on paper at least).  

• Like 1

They said the checks will be 1200 per person, 2400 per couple (filing jointly) and 500 per child.  No one earning over 99,000 will get anything.  This just doesn't seem like the time to invest in the cruise business.  I thought about buying some more while it is this low, but I will just stick with the 100 shares I own.

4 hours ago, cementhands said:

Those who could afford to, what about buying NCL stock at its all time low with the government issues checks. Stock could go back up in time. This would help NCL stay afloat. Might make you money.

I thought about this also. I was thinking it would be a chance to get the stock holder on board credit that I have heard mentioned on this forum, but I really don't know how much you get, or how many cruises I would need to take to make it worth it. After that, I would hope the price went up and then I could sell it.

In these trying times, I'm sure people who get the checks have more important things to use it for like food, mortgage, bills, etc. instead of wasting it purchasing stock.  OP, if you have the money to waste right now, you go right ahead and purchase stock.

• Like 3

Buying stock will not have an immediate effect on NCL's bottom line.  On the other hand, giving me your government check would have a direct effect on NCL's bottom line. I promise to take your money and book cruises which will immediately infuse cash into the company. 😀  Win, win.

22 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Lynne, if you want to find out about the stockholder OBC go to NCL.com.  Scroll all the way down and click the link "for investors".  There is a FAQ section that will answer and questions your may have.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Looks like a lot of good information. 

I guess this is also a good time for everyone to read up on all the fine print available on the NCL website. I was very disappointed that my cruise to the ABC islands that was scheduled for 9 days from now was cancelled. I am looking forward to trying again whenever the shutdown is over. Cruise was originally ABC islands plus GSC, but Bonaire was dropped and replaced with Nassau.

17 minutes ago, mianmike said:

Buying stock will not have an immediate effect on NCL's bottom line.  On the other hand, giving me your government check would have a direct effect on NCL's bottom line. I promise to take your money and book cruises which will immediately infuse cash into the company. 😀  Win, win.

The pure human sacrifice has brought me to tears...🤑

5 hours ago, cementhands said:

Those who could afford to, what about buying NCL stock at its all time low with the government issues checks. Stock could go back up in time. This would help NCL stay afloat. Might make you money.

Yeah literally the exact same strategy that put NCL in this low cash situation spend all your rainy day money on stock buy backs.   I hope someone from the federal government becomes aware of what some citizens are thinking they might do with any money given.  Money needs to go to those that need it not for a disposable income stock purchase!

Edited by Newleno

4 hours ago, MarkMark said:

Seriously - let's not give unsolicited and uneducated investment advice on a forum where people can't even figure out if they need their passport to travel.  SMH

I'm sure that reading and understanding a prospectus is easier than reading and understanding NCL's promo terms & conditions. :classic_biggrin:

4 hours ago, robsmom said:

Buying stock does not keep a company afloat.   NCL gets none of the money.    Buy stock if you think it is a good buy right now.  That is fine, but buying or not buying stock will not help the industry.  

Absolutely correct.  The only time buying a stock is helping the company, it's when buying an IPO (initial public offering).  All the other transactions are between other investors.

59 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

In these trying times, I'm sure people who get the checks have more important things to use it for like food, mortgage, bills, etc. instead of wasting it purchasing stock.  OP, if you have the money to waste right now, you go right ahead and purchase stock.

hear hear...

If the checks appear and if I get one the money will be spent on things to try and help businesses in my town survive.  I would like local businesses in my town to return when this is done.  To me a much higher priority than a cruise line.

• Like 5

The cruising industry will bounce back.  For heaven sakes, the ships were sailing full right up to the shutdown.  Many/most cruisers were not afraid and the ships would have kept on sailing as crazy as that sounds.  People thought I was crazy going on my cruise which ended March 1.  Maybe I was crazy but I am thankful I went and would not change a thing.  Just remember the huge profits NCL was making before this shutdown.  There may be a humble year or two but all of them will bounce back.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roger001 said:

An unpleasant look at the issue.

https://news.yahoo.com/let-cruise-lines-sink-103035401.html

I'm not so sure that even if the cruise lines did fail, that they really would fail (i.e. disappear).  "Fail" likely means they are unable to service their debt.  I suspect the last thing those debt holders want is to end up owning some cruise ships.  So, what is most likely to happen is they can't meet their debt payments, they file for Chapter 11 to protect them from their creditors,  and the banks get to renegotiate the debt.   

FWIW, I agree with the article.  The US government had better not bail out the cruise lines.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I'm not so sure that even if the cruise lines did fail, that they really would fail (i.e. disappear).  "Fail" likely means they are unable to service their debt.  I suspect the last thing those debt holders want is to end up owning some cruise ships.  So, what is most likely to happen is they can't meet their debt payments, they file for Chapter 11 to protect them from their creditors,  and the banks get to renegotiate the debt.   

FWIW, I agree with the article.  The US government had better not bail out the cruise lines.

I concur 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, robsmom said:

I'm not an expert but buying stocks may help the company, I think.

If the value of the company goes up, as it will if lots of people wants to buy stocks, it may be easier for them to get more loans if they need and probably also other kinds of investments they may need to survive.  

If lots of people show that they want the company to survive other, bigger, investers may be more interested to invest in it.

It is a nice sentiment, but not economically sound.   Even if millions of dollars were pumped into buying the stock, it just raises the stock price.  It changes who owns the company, but not the underlying economic value of the company.  Typically, there is a correlation between the stock price and the economic value (or at least the perceived or anticipated value).   If a group of cruise enthusiasts artificially inflate the price, this will benefit the investors already owing the stock, who will see that the price is now higher than what they value the company at and will now sell.  Selling will drive the price back down.   Without huge financial backing it would be nearly impossible to sustain an artificial price for any period of time.  Regarding the banks,  They will make loans based upon the balance sheet and projected income statement, not the share price.     If you want to help NCL, a better use of the check would be to put deposits on future ships.   This allows NCL to show the banks that they have projected future revenue.  

Edited by robsmom
  • Like 1