We accepted a 125% FCC for the cancellation. Should I be worried about RCL filing bankruptcy before I can use it?

javalsu

18 minutes ago, Kylie said:

Do you think the FCC can be used for a Cruise if we rebooked it for 2022?

No, the current policy is that they have to be applied to a cruise that commences before the end of 2021.

21 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

FCC may not be be worth the paper it’s printed on ...... a promise more or less means nothing.  Cash refund only ..... they’ll give FCC’s all day because they are worthless . 

I totally agree with you.

41 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

FCC may not be be worth the paper it’s printed on ...... a promise more or less means nothing.  Cash refund only ..... they’ll give FCC’s all day because they are worthless . 

I agree.  That's why I book refundable and I got my cash back within two weeks of cancelling my June cruise with X.  I'm not interested in credits I may not be able to use.

On 3/20/2020 at 4:16 PM, WonderMan3 said:

As the poster above you mentioned, it is not a necessary industry like the airlines or the auto industry. As they also said, it is likely that if this goes on long enough, one or more cruise lines will go belly up and we will see a consolidation. At the minimum, some of the larger cruise lines may need to trim down their fleet and sell off some ships to help their finances. They need to figure it out without a bailout. I don't see the cruise line industry vanishing so there will still be jobs to be had in the incremental business areas like hotels and restaurants in port areas.

I could even see companies like Carnival dropping some of the cruise lines they own.  Carnival is taking a real beating in all of this through Princess.  

A few thoughts:

Regarding bankruptcy - even if they were to go bankrupt and someone else took over, would that entity really want to p**s off all the current Celebrity customers, many of whom are very loyal, by not accepting their FCC or at least a part of it?  That would leave a very bad taste in cruisers' mouths and could result in them avoiding the new company completely.

Regarding 'bailouts' of the cruise industry - I disagree that the US would not be very impacted if the cruise lines go bankrupt.  One line?  Perhaps.  But many?  Don't agree.  The industry employs more than 200,000 people directly.  Indirectly are staff at travel agencies (especially cruise specific ones).  Cruise ships pay port taxes to visit US ports in Alaska, the west coast, and the northeast.  They also pay taxes I am sure in their embarkation ports, and I would guess these are considerable.  In addition, many who sail fly to their destinations, and arrive a day or two (or more) early and use hotels, taxis, Uber, restaurants, etc., etc..  50% of cruisers are from the USA - that means 50% are not.  From what I have learned sailing with others from Europe, Canada, etc.., many stay in Florida for a week or two before or after their cruise, as they have more holiday time and it is such a long and often expensive flight.  Tell me Lauderdale and Miami wouldn't take a very serious financial hit if the cruise industry tanked!  As essential businesses, yes I believe the airlines would get the most support.  But I would be surprised if the cruise line didn't get some help, regardless of who their supposed 'friends' are or are not.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2020 at 4:03 PM, Fouremco said:

The cruise industry contributes billions of dollars annually to the US economy and provides many thousands of jobs to Americans. You might want to ask the residents of Fort Lauderdale, Miami or Seattle if they'd prefer the cruise industry to close shop or for the government to provide some form of bailout. 

Absolutely!  While I remain neutral on a bailout for the cruise lines, you are absolutely correct.  Anyone who thinks the industry hasn't grown into something that is essential to the economy has no idea how many American jobs are at stake as a result of the industry going belly-up (or Tango Uniform for all you military veterans out there).  From transportation, hotels, restaurants, deck hands, dock workers, port authority, you name it.  The cruise industry supports a little economy in and of itself and there are thousands of people out of a job right now as a result of this crisis.  If a bailout were to occur, perhaps it would be an opportunity for the USG to capitalize on some tax income that they have otherwise been missing out on over the last many years.  When you're desperate, anything is up for negotiation.  

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

I agree the Cruise line generate lots of US jobs and taxes. Maybe not on the ships but in the ports, at hotels, restaurants, airlines etc.  We all know the ships are flagged out of the US because US labor laws would make it impossible to offer cruises at a price people could afford.  

We will see how the cruise line survive this massive lost of revenue but I am not sure you would see much change. RCL , NCL and Carnival pretty much control it all.  

• Like 1

BTW @Fouremco I believe that we might be sort of cruising kindred spirits.  While not a Canada native myself, my family (mother's side) are from Vancouver, BC.  I always appreciate the Canadian perspective, so thank you for chiming in...even if the question has been asked and answered across threads.  You are right to provide answers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

Maybe.  That's the safe approach.  While I choose to remain optimistic, I will take my refund once my cruise is cancelled next month.  Right now, safe feels good.

9 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

BTW @Fouremco I believe that we might be sort of cruising kindred spirits.  While not a Canada native myself, my family (mother's side) are from Vancouver, BC.  I always appreciate the Canadian perspective, so thank you for chiming in...even if the question has been asked and answered across threads.  You are right to provide answers.

Why, thank you very much for your kind comments, @Georgia_Peaches. This is not the first time, and undoubtedly not the last, that we share a common opinion.

• Like 1