Cancelled Cruises Refund Tracker/Discussion (merged topics)

Quo Vadis?

My wife and I were booked on the Edge for 3/15-22.  We saw the writing on the wall and cancelled 6 days before sailing, on 3/9.  Then two days later Celebrity cancelled the cruise, issuing all of those passengers 125% credit as opposed to 100%.  I've called, spoken to "supervisor", no luck.  This is absurd.  It wouldn't be so bad if the same cruise next year was the same price, but of course they've raised their prices.  We have been loyal Celebrity guests for many years.  They're going to lose us.  Suggestions?

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

Jim, are you saying you cancelled a cruise before final payment and the deposit is what you disputed?  When was the deposit made?

Sorry for the confusion.   

Celebrity Cancelled my cruise the night before it was suppose to happen.   Actually it was a B2B2B so I had 3 cruises in a row and our 4/30 cruise to Alaska was cancelled a couple weeks later. 

On the first 2 cruises I disputed the Move-Up bid that was awarded and charged to my credit card 3 days before my cruises.  

For the Alaska Cruise I had 2 rooms booked and decided to accept the 100% cash back instead of the FCC.   Since this was only booked recently and within the 60 day credit card limit I also disputed these charges.

10 minutes ago, lauderdale cruiser said:

My wife and I were booked on the Edge for 3/15-22.  We saw the writing on the wall and cancelled 6 days before sailing, on 3/9.  Then two days later Celebrity cancelled the cruise, issuing all of those passengers 125% credit as opposed to 100%.  I've called, spoken to "supervisor", no luck.  This is absurd.  It wouldn't be so bad if the same cruise next year was the same price, but of course they've raised their prices.  We have been loyal Celebrity guests for many years.  They're going to lose us.  Suggestions?

I understand your disappointment and sympathize with you.

You made the decision to cancel and accepted the terms of the cancellation when you made it so can understand why Celebrity is sticking to the terms you selected.    The difference is in your case you will get a cash refund while those that were cancelled had a choice of either the 100% cash refund (back to your credit card) or a 125% FCC.  

None of us know what will happen but you may be in a much better position if RCL were to file bankruptcy and your 125% FCC were to become worthless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I received an email from Celebrity yesterday saying that the refund of my full cruise cost (that they requested on 19th March) will be with my travel agent by the end of this week or the beginning of next. I will contact my travel agent next week to see if this is the case.

I don't see how the delayed refund strategy is going to be sustainable much longer. More folks will open up credit card disputes. Card companies can revoke merchant accounts to those businesses with high chargeback rates. Going to get to the point where you have to use cash to book a cruise. I don't think many would be comfortable with that. 

Edited by coaster

I'm still on the fence between waiting for the refunds for a March 29th and an April 5th cruise that were cancelled by X.  I requested a refund instead of an FCC on March 14th and 16th respectively.  Haven't received any notification from X but I'm in the wait 30-60-90 days/business days period.  I've also paid in full for a June 6th cruise that I expect will also get cancelled.  Perhaps I'll call Capital One and see.

53 minutes ago, Roddo said:

I received an email from Celebrity yesterday saying that the refund of my full cruise cost (that they requested on 19th March) will be with my travel agent by the end of this week or the beginning of next. I will contact my travel agent next week to see if this is the case.

Huh? 

Don't they refund your credit card?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MartiniBarhooked said:

When you dispute a charge the Card Company does immediatly credit your account.  But unless the dispute is settled it will automatically be charged again.

We filed 2 disputes each  approx 30 days after sep cruise cancellations. The credit balances were then deducted from the card and we were sent notices that checks for the credit balances were mailed to us .  Hope so!

Cred card co gave us a dispute no each time, and asked us to mail or fax a few documents which we did,     BUT  within a day or two of calling  our  money was back on the card.  Yet  it seems the disputes were still pending, but then were marked resolved. 

I suspect the card notified the  cruise line right away somehow and this pushed out our refunds. Can't be 2 coincidences, right? 

Edited by hcat

2 minutes ago, Roddo said:

I booked through a travel agent (not directly with Celebrity) so the refund comes through them 

They may run it differently in the UK.  I give my TA my credit card, and she files it with Celebrity for final payment.  Any refunds come back directly to my credit card.  🍷

Edited by Wine-O

1 hour ago, Roddo said:

Wow, I never considered this wrinkle.  So if your TA should go out of business because no one is traveling and the next 12 months look bleak, they may pocket your refund and file for bankruptcy without returning it to you?  I hadn't consider that additional risk.

• Like 1

How long should it take for funds to go back into your CC ? I received notification about one refund of an excursion 14 days ago and it still has not appeared. I have since had notification about my 100% refund and 2 more excursions but I will  hold my breath on them coming .

33 minutes ago, Roddo said:

I booked through a travel agent (not directly with Celebrity) so the refund comes through them 

This may again be a difference of a NON-North American booking.    Usually in the U.S. all payment made through a TA are directly processed by Celebrity and when a credit is issued the issue back to the original form of payment.   This may be different with some Big agency's that handle your booking as a group booking.

My Travel agent is advised of my Credits and FCC's. 

1 hour ago, Roddo said:

Did Celebrity respond to an email that you sent them, or did they just email you with the information? I cancelled a December cruise on which I had paid a substantial amount on March 16. I emailed Celebrity on April 9 and have not received a response.  I did talk to a Celebrity agent on April 14 and he could see that my refunds were set up and should go out in 10 business days.  I made their life difficult by using various credit cards and monthly payments.

3 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Did Celebrity respond to an email that you sent them, or did they just email you with the information? I cancelled a December cruise on which I had paid a substantial amount on March 16. I emailed Celebrity on April 9 and have not received a response.  I did talk to a Celebrity agent on April 14 and he could see that my refunds were set up and should go out in 10 business days.  I made their life difficult by using various credit cards and monthly payments.

They responded to an enquiry I sent the previous day

22 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Wow, I never considered this wrinkle.  So if your TA should go out of business because no one is traveling and the next 12 months look bleak, they may pocket your refund and file for bankruptcy without returning it to you?  I hadn't consider that additional risk.

I am not in the UK, but I have noticed a few comments from Over There. Good news, bad news in the different approach they have to travel booking, travel agents, etc. Bad news - if you book a cruise, air passage, whatever then you will pay the price you booked for. If the price later drops, no matter, you get the price you booked. You can cancel, but you lose a hefty deposit. Good news - if your travel agency goes bankrupt, then the government steps in and makes you whole.

Correct?

Got a standard "we're currently reviewing your claim" letter from BofA today. When we filed the claim we were told we would also receive questions to fill out, along with a request to provide additional documents. This letter made no such mention of additional questions, nor a request for additional documents needed.

7 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I am not in the UK, but I have noticed a few comments from Over There. Good news, bad news in the different approach they have to travel booking, travel agents, etc. Bad news - if you book a cruise, air passage, whatever then you will pay the price you booked for. If the price later drops, no matter, you get the price you booked. You can cancel, but you lose a hefty deposit. Good news - if your travel agency goes bankrupt, then the government steps in and makes you whole.

Correct?

That's how I understand it.  I was actually thinking about US customers who use a TA.  Perhaps this doesn't apply to them?  Do refunds for US customers go through their TA or are they sent directly?

13 minutes ago, treehugr said:

Got a standard "we're currently reviewing your claim" letter from BofA today. When we filed the claim we were told we would also receive questions to fill out, along with a request to provide additional documents. This letter made no such mention of additional questions, nor a request for additional documents needed.

Got the same letter from BofA today.  I gave the gal I spoke with all the details from the credit card statements, posting dates, amount, sailing reservation number, etc.  I must agree with all, this does not look good.  Too bad.  Enjoyed all the cruises but it looks like a lot of pain all around the world, not to end very soon.  Life will never be the same.  Live in the New York area and it has been a nightmare - week 6 in my house.  Daughter did food shopping for weeks ahead.  God bless her.  God bless all of you and stay home, wear a mask and wash, wash, wash those hands.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Correct?

Yes that’s about correct, we have a scheme called ATOL which steps in for refunds if the TA goes bankrupt. If you book via a TA in the U.K. you pay the TA who then pays the various Air and cruise fares. Therefore waiting for the cruise company and airline to reimburse the TA who will then refund us. Long winded but safer if the TA goes bankrupt. But you are also correct re cruise fares going down, we cannot cancel and re book without losing deposit.