Cancelled Cruises Refund Tracker/Discussion (merged topics)

Quo Vadis?

I just got the cancellation email from Celebrity for our May 11, 2020 sailing.  

Does anyone have the Terms and Conditions of the FCC (offered as 125% of the cruise price) other than the deadline to use it i.e. December 31, 2021 ?

For example, can it be used as the deposit on a new cruise (either refundable or non-refundable) ?   Do you lose it if you need to cancel the future cruise ?

5 hours ago, If only said:

We talked to Celebrity on Sunday.  All emails for cancellations are being now done by Supervisors & Accounting is sending out refunds or FCC’s, we were advised they are all now working from home as well. So it will all take time.  We canc March 11 for our April cruise.  We have still heard nothing but were given amounts etc over the phone.

That's great!  The confirmation emails should come soon.

6 hours ago, hcat said:

Nothing  new from X  on our  credit card!

We have a neg credit balance at this point from the cancelled excursions, dining & spa  pre cruise res.  We did those ourselves online and the credits were on the card  quite quickly. Glad we did

Maybe the big refunds will come in our next billing cycle..not optimistic esp when we are left hanging.,.the Celeb way!

Give it some time.  It took about two weeks from the time I cancelled until the refund showed up on my credit card.  I just stopped looking after checking nearly everyday.  The minute I just forgot about it, low and behold, it showed up.  Go figure!

On 3/20/2020 at 6:04 PM, Bo1953 said:

I think that X would have to refund to TA so TA can refund to passenger.

I would think that most TA's (or back in the day when I was one) run on thin margins and profits so reimbursing before receiving from the cruise line would put them in a pinch...

bon voyage

Curious about this    My travel agent processes all payments directly via Celebrity.   Is this not common to U.S. agents.   Just curious. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Curious about this    My travel agent processes all payments directly via Celebrity.   Is this not common to U.S. agents.   Just curious. 

j - I was totally incorrect in my response, of course it has to be processed through X... not sure of what I was thinking in this regards.

Thank you for the correction!

bon voyage

• Like 1

Question for anyone who might know.  We told our TA we want refund rather than FCC.  There are 4 of us gals sharing PH and we paid with 4 different credit cards (well actually 5 different cards because one of my friends used a different card for deposit and final payment).  My TA is asking us if we’re sure we don’t want the FCC.  She is telling us Celebrity does not split up refunds to different cards but rather will refund.one card only.  So one of our cards will end up with a huge credit balance and that person would have to come up with the cash to reimburse the other 3 women.  I cannot believe this is true.  Has anyone experienced a refund scenario when several different cards were used for payment?  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, jcpc said:

Question for anyone who might know.  We told our TA we want refund rather than FCC.  There are 4 of us gals sharing PH and we paid with 4 different credit cards (well actually 5 different cards because one of my friends used a different card for deposit and final payment).  My TA is asking us if we’re sure we don’t want the FCC.  She is telling us Celebrity does not split up refunds to different cards but rather will refund.one card only.  So one of our cards will end up with a huge credit balance and that person would have to come up with the cash to reimburse the other 3 women.  I cannot believe this is true.  Has anyone experienced a refund scenario when several different cards were used for payment?  Thanks.

Did you happen to notice when your payment was made, it was direct from X or your TA? If from X, then they will refund directly to the form of payment they received. Travel industry standard.

It should have been from X, if not, then there can be a challenge.

I would venture to say that your TA is incorrect as all they need to do is cancel the reservation and X will take care of the rest.

When is your final payment date and sailing?

If not within the next month or so, I would wait a week then follow up with the TA and request that they cancel your reservation. Your credit card issuers, with any balance overage, I believe you can request they send you a check for that amount. Yet that is if you do not have any balance on that card which would eat up that extra cash. Reach out to them to verify that they will do this.

Yet, I do not believe you will be fine just requesting the refund. You may need to be diligent with your TA though to make sure they respond to X and your group appropriately.

Please remember it may take some time before you see the credit on your CC, yet get confirmation from your TA that they in fact did cancel the reservation.

bon voyage

We were on board the X Reflection sailing of March 13, 2020 that was shortened and disembarked on 3/17. On 3/21 a credit of $50 showed up from X with no explanation. All of our OBC was either used or refunded in cash before we disembarked. I've no clue what this amount is. I guess I'll keep track for a while and see if the refunded amounts total the 100% refund promised. I think they will but it will take a while. We're also waiting for the FCC promised in a letter we received on board. We were told that would be issued in an email by both X and our TA. The TA told me our refund would be issued directly to us to our credit card and not through them.

Celebrity lied to me regarding the issuance of FCC's.  

Take the cash and run.  

I've spent 3 hours on the phone today and the phone agent would not discuss or let me speak to a supervisor, assured me they can not possibly go bankrupt.  

Things are getting bad for them.  GET YOUR CASH 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jcpc said:

They are trying to issue an FCC for 33% of the cruise fare to guest 3 that booked under 3rd guest free.  They are devaluing guest 1 and 2 FCC's.  My advice, whoever gets the full refunds in your case simply write checks to the other people.  Unfortunately NOT an option in my case. 

I booked through a TA. Should I wait for the TA or fill out the form for the refund?

If I fill out the form. Will the refund come straight to me or go to the TA who will then refund me?

One last question. Should I cancel my Celebrity excursions or will they do this automatically with the cancelation?

We use a warehouse club TA and cancelled a November cruise on March 20 using their online form.  We received a cancellation confirmation the next day and my CC was credited the entire deposit amount on March 26 (this booking had a 100% refundable deposit).   Given the current volume of cancellations I'm amazed things moved this quickly.

We are getting nervous and annoyed because  we cancelled earlier in March than the dates mentioned by others who have already  received their refunds.

One  of our cancellations( Summit) , requires someone to add 50% of  cruise fare  and taxes & fees  to arrive at the  refund amt and fees.  Not exactly  advanced arithmetic. The rep who sent it through had already calculated the amount so it  just needs to be processed

The other refund ( APEX)  is a straight $500 refund.. Guess I will waste another phone call today.  

Wonder if my credit card company could assist on the second  refund???

The longer they take, the less likely we will book anything  else.  Hope to use our FCC next Jan...but after that may cancel others! 

Our opinion is that  the X  management team has failed at this end of things.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jcpc said:

I called my credit card issued by my bank...told them I will be having a large credit and don’t want it sitting on my account.  They said to call back 6 days after issued and they will transfer to my bank account.  Don’t know if you have that option. But Celebrity said it will be returned to the card it was paid on.

Edited by Perky1
Fix
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Perky1 said:

I called my credit card issued by my bank...told them I will be having a large credit and don’t want it sitting in my account.  The said to cal back 6 days after issued and they will transfer to my bank account.  Don’t know if you have that option. But Celebrity said it will be returned to the card it was paid on.

Thank you for the report back, as this is the usual protocol for 'large' credit balances.

bon voyage

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

We use a warehouse club TA and cancelled a November cruise on March 20 using their online form.  We received a cancellation confirmation the next day and my CC was credited the entire deposit amount on March 26 (this booking had a 100% refundable deposit).   Given the current volume of cancellations I'm amazed things moved this quickly.

Lucky you. 

I cancelled excursions on 10 th March and am still waiting for my refund (26/03/20)

Cancelled 3/11.  On 3/25 was advised I had to specifically ask for my taxes and fees to be refunded. 

3/27, Celebrity issues 3 FCC's to me inconsistent with the amounts paid proportionately, in addition their phone agent lied about terms of the FCC.  Easily proven on their recorded call but Celebrity refuses to review the call. 

No ETA on receiving back my taxes and fees.  

I called my AmEx Cc and they can transfer up to $9,999 to a Bank Account. Personally, I’ll leave it there and use it for my final payment of my Apex TA in Oct. 

And why is it outrageous that a company that has a huge number of refunds/FCCs/1,000’s of people to move off their ships/10,000’s of workers on their ships to support under new circumstances/ships to anchor or dock and many other issues we have no idea what has to be done, and someone find it ‘outrageous’ they haven’t got their refund back in a few weeks. we were told by two other Lines that it may be 30 days. My minor-league guess is it’s because no company has a huge team set up to run 10,000’s of thousands of refunds and it will take a while. 

I’m afraid I find people dying because we don’t have enough test kits and Drs/Nurses dying because they don’t have enough protection equipment outrageous, Not because I don’t have a refund yet. But go ahead and get bent about it, and keep calling some poor soul who has to pretend your complaint has merit and treat you with the respect you won’t show them.

Den

• Like 6

In another universe I would be sailing out of Fort Lauderdale today on the Silhouette for our 9-day Caribbean cruise.  But I’m not.  Two weeks today Celebrity cancelled our cruise and sent me an email (along with many others) offering the option of a 125% FCC or a full refund.  For us it was a no-brainer - I clicked on the link in the email and filled out the necessary info for a refund.  But as others have noted, I got no confirmation email of my refund choice even though their original email said I would get one.  Now I know I’m not the only one they need to deal with so I’ve been patient.  

A few days ago I got a slew of emails each one cancelling a separate excursion that I had booked using OBC - so no refund there for me.  But it gave me cause for some hope.  Today (since it’s been 2 weeks) I called to see “how my refund was going” - waited on the line for almost 2 whole minutes until I spoke to someone.  After checking, he told me that my request was indeed in their system and that refunds should be out within 3-5 weeks.  I assume this is what they’re telling everyone.  I’m not too worried - if they don’t go bankrupt I’ll get my money eventually. But it would be nice to get it before Monday - my credit card bill is due then and this month it is quite high - the refund would handle it nicely!

Celebrity cancelled my March 23rd cruise on March 14th and I asked for a full refund. My onboard purchase was refunded to my credit card within a week. On March 24th, I received an email with a revised invoice showing that a refund of my cruise fare was being processed to my credit card. I expect it will take another week or so, but I am checking my credit card account every day. Will be happy once it is back in my bank account.

On 3/26/2020 at 11:31 AM, Perky1 said:

I called my credit card issued by my bank...told them I will be having a large credit and don’t want it sitting on my account.  They said to call back 6 days after issued and they will transfer to my bank account.  Don’t know if you have that option. But Celebrity said it will be returned to the card it was paid on.

we did exactly the same, don’t know if if depends which card you have but it seems procedures are the same here in UK , just have to wait on it arriving now 

3 hours ago, Denny01 said:

I called my AmEx Cc and they can transfer up to $9,999 to a Bank Account. Personally, I’ll leave it there and use it for my final payment of my Apex TA in Oct. 

And why is it outrageous that a company that has a huge number of refunds/FCCs/1,000’s of people to move off their ships/10,000’s of workers on their ships to support under new circumstances/ships to anchor or dock and many other issues we have no idea what has to be done, and someone find it ‘outrageous’ they haven’t got their refund back in a few weeks. we were told by two other Lines that it may be 30 days. My minor-league guess is it’s because no company has a huge team set up to run 10,000’s of thousands of refunds and it will take a while. 

I’m afraid I find people dying because we don’t have enough test kits and Drs/Nurses dying because they don’t have enough protection equipment outrageous, Not because I don’t have a refund yet. But go ahead and get bent about it, and keep calling some poor soul who has to pretend your complaint has merit and treat you with the respect you won’t show them.

Den

Sir Den - spot on, as we can tell, the individuals who are so very sick and those who care for them at home or hospital or elsewhere be damned until FCC's are converted to cash or CC's are credited back or insurers refund policies which 'appear' to be unused.

But hey, this is CC after all and the concerns stop at the monitor, mouse and key board....

I do have empathy for those who are losing and will lose, possibly, a great deal of money because insurance was not purchased or the T&C's were not read or we think that the cruise line owe us something or refund because the itinerary is not what we booked after port closures etc...

Looking at the 'bigger picture'??? Nahhh, gotta get mine first before I can think or act on someone else's need or behalf and this is MY personal opinion and thoughts, not to diminish others needs, posts and requirements around CC.

😎

bon voyage

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 1:31 PM, Luvcrusn said:

We were on board Reflection which departed PE on March 13th. The cruise was shortened and we were notified on Sunday the 15th that we'd be returning to PE on the 17th and would be issued a 100% refund along with a 50% FCC. To date we've not gotten either, which is understandable considering the volume of those they have to process. Captains Club sail the refunds could take 5-6 weeks and we would be receiving the email with the FCC certificate hopefully by March 27th. I'll update when we get either.

I was on the same cruise and received my OBC on the 25 Still waiting for the cruise refund