Cancelled Cruises Refund Tracker/Discussion (merged topics)

Quo Vadis?

8 minutes ago, mafig said:

Really?

We've just let our balance stay on our account.  Since we use that credit card for everything, we just were going to watch the balance grow smaller, and smaller (probably take a few months).  Are you saying that we can't do that?

Should we call the bank?

It depends on the amount of the balance, and varies somewhat bank to bank.  If you call them and let them know, they may be able to allow you to leave a balance in place. 

Many years ago, you could leave a credit balance in place; and also if you sent your card company a check for more than the amount due, they would accept it.  If you try to pay more than the balance due on your account now, you're typically limited to 10% above the outstanding amount. 

You may find the reason they stopped it interesting.  Those looking to hide money had the security of a bank account (although of course it paid no interest, and didn't have FDIC insurance), the easy access of a credit card, and it didn't show up as a bank deposit.  It was a wonderful tool for both criminal and civil asset concealment.  I've always been able to conceal my vast wealth through the simple expedient of not having any.  😞

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

My CC provider in UK told me it would be against terms and conditions to leave a credit balance in my account, she was quite happy to transfer to current account at no cost to me. She did advise that if I tried to transfer myself via on line banking that there would be a charge. Also told me to call back when other credits are received  and she would transfer at no cost.

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Update

Check  arrived from BOA for our first dispute which was  refunded to  the card.  I am assuming it is ours to keep because they indicated in the online memo area that the  review was closed based on  a settled dispute.

As to the  more recent cruise deposit dispute, we also requested a check for the credit balance....in process. 

Today we rec'd  a letter saying the merchant had 60 days to respond  to the claim...if they don't respond it will be deemed resolved.   

If they challenge, more info will be needed before a  final decision is made and they might request more info..  To save time we sent in all the documentation we had. 

Not sure if other companies work it this way...

60 business days or just 60 days?

21 minutes ago, mafig said:

Really?

We've just let our balance stay on our account.  Since we use that credit card for everything, we just were going to watch the balance grow smaller, and smaller (probably take a few months).  Are you saying that we can't do that?

Should we call the bank?

We lived out the credit  balance for awhile until the second refund hit...Then we took the money b/c we will use another card for awhile..do not need more cruise points.

If balance remains, BOA will  automatically mail the check..forgot the time frame..60 days????

No fee to request a check..can just hit the key.

Not sure if fees apply to  move into a BOA bank acct,????

55 minutes ago, debkaysmith said:

Still Waiting.... 

Cancelled March 12th and have received nothing in the form of refunds.

Cancelled another two cruises March 27th and have received nothing in the form of refunds.

Frustrated!!!

Wow they must owe you a lot😥

1 hour ago, debkaysmith said:

Still Waiting.... 

Cancelled March 12th and have received nothing in the form of refunds.

Cancelled another two cruises March 27th and have received nothing in the form of refunds.

Frustrated!!!

March 9th for me for a May 11th cruise, still nothing, no FCC or refund, no reply to tweet or email to Celebrity, just an email this last week from TA saying X has indicated it's now an expected 60 days from cancelling. 

9 minutes ago, MAXII said:

March 9th for me for a May 11th cruise, still nothing, no FCC or refund, no reply to tweet or email to Celebrity, just an email this last week from TA saying X has indicated it's now an expected 60 days from cancelling. 

😳

1 hour ago, MAXII said:

I thought the general rule was that if you book through a TA, then Celebrity wants you to deal through the TA and not directly with Celebrity. Ask your TA, let them work it out...

4 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I thought the general rule was that if you book through a TA, then Celebrity wants you to deal through the TA and not directly with Celebrity. Ask your TA, let them work it out...

Hi yes, outside of this extraordinary time, usually if you book with a TA then you would need to work only with your TA.  I can't find where I had the information (I also remember the information being posted somewhere on CC awhile ago) but there appears to be an agreement in place given the situation that X will provide information around FCC/Refunds as a result of cancellations due to the temporary ceasing of operations to clients directly.  

Question? Do you think more customers are canceling then booking future cruises. 
We had  $500 on Apex for 7 day January 2021. My wife and I just have a funny feeling that the Cruise industry might be changing for ever after the dust clears. January 

21 is not that far out. So Today I called and canceled our trip and the Celebrity rep was kind of rude and non empathic, she just said $100 each cancellation fee , and we a 12 month $300 future cruise credit, when I asked her to just leave it, she said it was to late and she just canceled the reservation and could not bring it back , if she did the perks where gone. We where thinking that if we might want to go away next winter that we could wait and see what’s happening that the cruise lines might need to lure back there customer base with attractive new deals? Is it possible that elderly seniors might give up on the cruise Vacations due to new medical restrictions? It could really be differ t cruising in the near future, We are in are early 60’s and have always enjoyed cruising and the overall experience. We just did the princess Sky in January right before the Virus. 
any thoughts on future pricing? 

6 minutes ago, Fmitchy said:

Unless the cruise companies significantly reduce capacity to adjust to lower demand, I think prices will have to come down in the near term.  Economic issues will drive demand down.    Basic concern regarding health and safety issues will drive the demand for cruising down.  The impact of the "new normal" on how cruises must operate will probably drive demand down.

That's my opinion for what it's worth......that and a couple of bucks might buy you a cup of coffee.

We cancelled our 5 day Pacific NW cruise on the Millenium for April in early March.  At that time we were informed they were only giving a FCC for the amount of the sailing and would be refunding the taxes.  Nothing received.  In late March, we called again about a week later we received our FCC but no taxes have been credited back to our cc.  Probably should have waited for cruise cancellation, but didn't want to take a chance on losing everything. Has anyone else had issues not receiving the taxes refunded?

1 hour ago, mightyZ said:

We cancelled our 5 day Pacific NW cruise on the Millenium for April in early March.  At that time we were informed they were only giving a FCC for the amount of the sailing and would be refunding the taxes.  Nothing received.  In late March, we called again about a week later we received our FCC but no taxes have been credited back to our cc.  Probably should have waited for cruise cancellation, but didn't want to take a chance on losing everything. Has anyone else had issues not receiving the taxes refunded?

Refunds are currently running in excess of 30 days, lately people have reported being told 60 days. 

Harris

Denver, CO

On 4/13/2020 at 4:49 PM, thon said:

I asked for a full refund immediately upon receiving their 13 March email cancelling my cruise.  Still nothing.

Still nothing.  But I did call Celebrity on Friday and the agent transferred me to their ‘resolutions’ department.  I was then told that my refund request was still in the 1st of a 3 step process (whatever that means) and she would try to expedite things.  She also told me that I needn’t call back again after I told her I had already called 3 times, being given different answers each time.  She seemed to indicate that my refund was imminent.  But for me, if nothing by Friday I will call again.

On 4/13/2020 at 1:27 PM, bajathree said:

Still waiting on 25% refund that was promised on my March 6 Silhouette sailing that ended March 15.

Same for us.. 7 weeks for a simple refund, the earliest promise prior to the cancellation frenzy.

16 hours ago, Fmitchy said:

Question? Do you think more customers are canceling then booking future cruises. 
We had  $500 on Apex for 7 day January 2021. My wife and I just have a funny feeling that the Cruise industry might be changing for ever after the dust clears. January 

21 is not that far out. So Today I called and canceled our trip and the Celebrity rep was kind of rude and non empathic, she just said $100 each cancellation fee , and we a 12 month $300 future cruise credit, when I asked her to just leave it, she said it was to late and she just canceled the reservation and could not bring it back , if she did the perks where gone. We where thinking that if we might want to go away next winter that we could wait and see what’s happening that the cruise lines might need to lure back there customer base with attractive new deals? Is it possible that elderly seniors might give up on the cruise Vacations due to new medical restrictions? It could really be differ t cruising in the near future, We are in are early 60’s and have always enjoyed cruising and the overall experience. We just did the princess Sky in January right before the Virus. 

The employees at the call center(s) are certainly getting a lot of grief from customers that want their money back. For the employees, they are being told what to say. I was originally told On March 23 (Celebrity cancelled cruise on March 18) I would have a cc refund in 10-14 days. I called on April 8 and was told my credit was processed and it’s was with my bank. It wasn’t. I never received a credit from Celebrity. Customers get upset and angry when they are told things will happen with their money that don’t happen. The people at the call center are doing and saying what they are told. I am sure they struggle to keep a positive attitude with the enormous volume of refund/FCC complaints.

Our cruise was canceled 3/13 for 3/14 sailing. We requested refund upon return home. Nothing Yet, But I do know other friends in same situation on different cruise lines, non-cruise packages and airlines are also still waiting on their refunds. 

I know there are two other threads related to tracking refunds.  This is not to track them per se, but to comment on what the heck is taking so long?  Celebrity has no problem processing my deposits the same day.  Celebrity has no problem processing my final payment the same day it is due.  So why is it taking so long for them to process me a refund for a cancelled cruise?

I'm sorry, I know Celebrity systems are not the best (to say the least!) but I'm just not buying that this is a system issue.  Might it be a staffing issue?  I'm sure they are overwhelmed with calls/emails but I am just not buying that the refund process is so complicated that it has multiple steps, and requires multiple human interventions to make it happen.  I'm just not buying it.  And if that is the case, then they should be hiring temporary workers to help them out instead of laying off 25% of their US staff!!  Or getting their IT workers to improve their system so that once they identify a cruise as cancelled the system automatically issues a refund to the credit card to which the payment was billed.  If it is a cashflow issue, maybe the RCL CEO can donate some of their $14M bonus to help hire some staff to handle this!!

If I book a new cruise now, do I get to wait 90 days (or maybe more) before I have to pay anything because guess what, my personal system is stressed too?

I have always been a big Celebrity supporter (not cheerleader level, as I am one to call them out on bad as well as good).  I've cruised with them around 60 times so clearly I am a fan.  I had 9 cruises booked with them this year (with 3 cancelled, and 3 more TBD)!  I understand times are tough, and I understand cruise lines are particularly hard hit.  I've cruised with them since 1992 and helped them grow into the super successful line they've become.  And now when we need them, where are they?  I have a ton of money tied up with them this year and am just hoping I get it back at all.

Is anyone else as frustrated and skeptical as I am?

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1