Cancelled Cruises Refund Tracker/Discussion (merged topics)

Quo Vadis?

On 4/2/2020 at 10:49 AM, Kafffy said:

I called Celebrity this morning and got through with no wait time. The agent said my cruise cancellation was processed on 3/10 (the day I cancelled it through my TA), and that she shows the refund as posted on 3/25. She says it has left their system so I guess I just sit and wait for it to show up on my cc

Nope.

If the refund was posted on 3/25, you would have received the refund on 3/26.  When the refund is keyed in, it goes into the batch to be processed that evening.  When that batch is processed, the credit goes to the card holder.

I have a merchant processing account for many years.  This is how it works.  And I have received refunds from other vendors (not cruise lines) in exactly the same scenario.  They key in the credit, I get it the next day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roygg said:

Re 2nd March Constellation out of Dubai Terminated Mumbai mid cruise

Very pleased to say that received refund this morning back to my Amex credit card for the 100% LESS the taxes and port fees. Hopefully those charges will trickle through eventually.

Thank you Celebrity for getting us quickly and safely out of Mumbai.

Stay safe everyone.

Isn't the refund process in the UK different than most other places, meaning that they have a specific amount of time to get the refund to you?

Also, since you were ON a cruise, not one cancelled, wonder if that makes a difference.

Edited by ECCruise

Called Celeb to check on our deposit refund for a cruise cancelled on 4/8/20.

I was actually looking for the Booking Confirmation  that previously would say it was  "cancelled" in the upper right next to "status". Rep who I cancelled with said it was sent but we never received it, so I had no proof of cancellation.

Rep today could not send it b/c it won''t go through...cruise is cancelled so Celebrity's  e-mail system did not accept it. BUT he  did confirm the refund was put through and  in process  and offered me a cancellation number...never had that before. He indicated refunds are now running 4 to 6 weeks.

Hopefully, ours will come through in the 4 week time frame.

It sort of sounds like refunds are being issued 30 days after the end date of the canceled cruise.  Of course, that's applying logic.  It would help if people would post not when the cruise was canceled but the sailing dates of the cruise.  For example, the first cruise of mine that was canceled was a March 29-April 5th cruise.  Celebrity/Royal canceled those cruises with a press release on March 13.  I received an email from Celebrity on the same day.  I requested a refund via the link in the email on March 16.  But the date I'm currently looking at is May 5th which would be 30 days from what would have been the end of my cruise.

43 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

It sort of sounds like refunds are being issued 30 days after the end date of the canceled cruise.  Of course, that's applying logic.  It would help if people would post not when the cruise was canceled but the sailing dates of the cruise.  For example, the first cruise of mine that was canceled was a March 29-April 5th cruise.  Celebrity/Royal canceled those cruises with a press release on March 13.  I received an email from Celebrity on the same day.  I requested a refund via the link in the email on March 16.  But the date I'm currently looking at is May 5th which would be 30 days from what would have been the end of my cruise.

My cruise was due to start 22 April and end 5 May.  So now I have to wait until 5 June for my refund?  That just doesn't seem right.  Someone mentioned going to dispute charges on their credit card at the 30 day mark from the day they cancelled.  I'm thinking of doing the same.  🍷

• Like 1

Helen Haywood

Best I can recall...

We received  a refund for a cruise that would have sailed May 2020  on Summit for Mothers Day which we cancelled in early March;  and a provisional refund for a cruise scheduled for Nov  2020 on APEX that we cancelled in April.. and one  pending for a 2022 cruise..

I see no true pattern to how they are processed and Celebrity has not shared its flow. Applying logic.....ha ha ha.

One rep today said it will take 4 to 6 weeks.

39 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

My cruise was due to start 22 April and end 5 May.  So now I have to wait until 5 June for my refund?  That just doesn't seem right.  Someone mentioned going to dispute charges on their credit card at the 30 day mark from the day they cancelled.  I'm thinking of doing the same.  🍷

The letter from LLP dated March 24 announcing cancellations through May 11 states refund within 30 days of submitting your refund request (vs taking FCC). I submitted my refund request the same day (March 24). 

If the 30 day window comes and goes with no refund, I’ll file a dispute with my credit card. I purchased the cruise on March 5 and payment due on my credit card is rapidly approaching. So if no refund before payment due date, I’ll file a dispute. 

I filed a dispute Monday for my refundable Flights by Celebrity air fare after they failed to refund 30 days from the date I cancelled my air (March 20). Celebrity told me 7-10 days for refund the day I cancelled. I gave them 30 days before filing. DOT rules stipulate refunds of airline tickets must be issued within 7 days whether from the airline itself or through an on-line TA (Flights by Celebrity). 

Edited by BEAV

Some thoughts on all of this.  My husband and I were scheduled to do a transatlantic on Silhouette starting April 17.  We waited until Celebrity cancelled on March 24 and immediately filled out the form that Celebrity provided online to apply for a full refund (over $10,100 plus).  Like the rest of you we did not receive any confirmation from Celebrity or a claim no. or anything.  While reading all the pages of this Board, we noticed HCAT's early comments about filing a dispute with Bank of America, Celebrity's Visa card, which we have and use for cruising to acquire points (not sure if we will ever use them now).  I decided not to wait because I believe the cruise industry is in a heap of trouble and turmoil (not all of it their fault) and not sure if the credit lines coming in will take care of all of these refunds.  I did have to hold on for a period of time (half hour or so) to speak directly to someone.  The gal was patient and polite and took down all the information which I supplied from my credit card bills (two separate transactions, deposit made in June and then full payment made in December) and information about my booking.  She told me I would hear something which I did in a first letter dated April 11 indicating they were researching my dispute.  I signed in to B of A to take a look a few days ago and noticed that there were two credits to my account for the total of the cruise.  Then on April 16, they sent a second letter saying they were going to check with the merchant (Celebrity) for additional information.  If the merchant does not respond, the credits applied to our account will remain and that April 16 letter with a case number will serve as final resolution of our claim.  There was nothing more we needed to do at the time except keep copies of all documentation.

So my next credit card statement will be dated April 26 and I hope when I receive it the credits are still there and if so, I will attempt to have them send me a check.

Keep in mind that the BofA Visa was Celebrity's second attempt to link up with a credit card, one other was several years ago and cancelled by Celebrity after a short while (I forget which bank).  It would seem to me that if Celebrity wants to keep their affiliation with BofA, they had better be responsive.  Just my opinion but in today's climate who knows.  I'll let you know if I am successful in getting a check rather than using the credit on the card.

1 hour ago, BEAV said:

The letter from LLP dated March 24 announcing cancellations through May 11 states refund within 30 days of submitting your refund request (vs taking FCC). I submitted my refund request the same day (March 24). 

If the 30 day window comes and goes with no refund, I’ll file a dispute with my credit card. I purchased the cruise on March 5 and payment due on my credit card is rapidly approaching. So if no refund before payment due date, I’ll file a dispute. 

I filed a dispute Monday for my refundable Flights by Celebrity air fare after they failed to refund 30 days from the date I cancelled my air (March 20). Celebrity told me 7-10 days for refund the day I cancelled. I gave them 30 days before filing. DOT rules stipulate refunds of airline tickets must be issued within 7 days whether from the airline itself or through an on-line TA (Flights by Celebrity). 

There's just one issue for me -- My initial deposit of $900 was made on 30 Apr 2018.  Not sure how that will work going back 2 years.  😕 🍷

1 hour ago, General's Lady said:

Some thoughts on all of this.  My husband and I were scheduled to do a transatlantic on Silhouette starting April 17.  We waited until Celebrity cancelled on March 24 

Portion of quoted post deleted to save space......

I'll let you know if I am successful in getting a check rather than using the credit on the card.

Hope you have success soon!

If you call the 800 # to check your balance and the robo system says you have a credit balance,  it might offer you a chance to hit a key to request a check.. We did that twice.  We realize  on the second one ( still under review), they might re charge the card but meanwhile the money is  in our bank acct. Check took about 10 days to arrive but they deducted the amt from our credit balance right away.

Btw... to clarify, our BOA Visa  card is a Royal C  affiliated card . Our Celeb affilated  BOA  card  was discontinued by X  awhile back, & it then morphed into a cash reward card.  We no longer have a Celeb credit card. BOA Royal works just fine.

We plan to use Cash reward cards ongoing..We don't need more cruise points...until cruising comes back! Hope to use up accumulated points we have in 2021!!

Edited by hcat

30 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

There's just one issue for me -- My initial deposit of $900 was made on 30 Apr 2018.  Not sure how that will work going back 2 years.  😕 🍷

Was not an issue for our refunds

5 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Isn't the refund process in the UK different than most other places, meaning that they have a specific amount of time to get the refund to you?

Also, since you were ON a cruise, not one cancelled, wonder if that makes a difference.

They do have a set amount of time but seem not to be meeting the targets. 10-14 days for taxes etc, 30 days for full refund. Needless to say, on our April 1st cruise cancelled by X, neither has been met (based on date of cancellation), waiting to see if 30 days from ‘sail’ date brings any joy 🤞.

• Like 1

Hey everyone! I hope you’re well and safe.

I’ve attached a screenshot of an email I received from a Celebrity Vacation Planner. I wanted to share whatever information I had received. I was booked for the April 5th Caribbean sailing on the Celebrity Edge.

592B7CB9-90F8-4CA4-BAEF-B741C4F34DAB.jpeg

On 4/20/2020 at 4:37 PM, Purplsmurf said:

While we still haven’t received our refund for our March 14 cruise that was cancelled the evening before and refund requested almost immediately, we have finally received our refund from Allianz. We had 2 cabins and cancel for any reason insurance so it was nice to see the almost $800 credit show up on my cc today.

So you were able to file a claim with Allianz even though Celebrity is promising to refund you?

I didn't think that was a possibility, but given the way Celebrity is handling this, I might try going that route.

1 hour ago, Wine-O said:

I called my credit card company, Fidelity VISA, and was told that they don't have a hard deadline on disputed charges.   Disputes on charges as long as 4 years old were not unheard of and can be accepted for processing.   So, I guess policy's vary and depend on the card issuer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Oh no, our Apex sailing was 5/10 to 5/20, does that mean I have to wait till 6/20? My cancellation confirmation says refunds within 90 days, even though Lisa’s message said 30 days!

I think the first lot of cancellations were handled faster, Celebrity is taking longer and longer as time goes by. We were in the second lot, there’s now a third, with a fourth to come early May. 

BTW, were those of you with Chase able to get them to send you a check? We paid for 3 cabins and will want the money back in our regular account.

Edited by prish

16 minutes ago, Maryscooking said:

So you were able to file a claim with Allianz even though Celebrity is promising to refund you?

I didn't think that was a possibility, but given the way Celebrity is handling this, I might try going that route.

I believe the refund was probably the insurance premium.

4 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I may have been booked on the same cruise...no refund yet on my end...The Edge? 

5 hours ago, helen haywood said:

March 27 cruise cancelled by celebrity on 3/13. Requested refund same day. Haven’t received any refund yet. TA told us we will get refund 30 days after sailing date. New answers every time. There is no method to how refunds are being issued!

2 hours ago, Wine-O said:

I understand. 

FWIW, I read in a travel blog this week that credit cards in certain cases will allow disputes outside the 60 day window. In the example of “certain cases” it listed “travel bookings made in advance” describing them as products/services not received. 

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

Yes, Edge March 29-April 5...then we were going to walk across the pier and board Silhouette April 5-17...sigh.

That would have been a nice combo...here’s to next time 🍸

3 hours ago, HVegas said:

Hey everyone! I hope you’re well and safe.

I’ve attached a screenshot of an email I received from a Celebrity Vacation Planner. I wanted to share whatever information I had received. I was booked for the April 5th Caribbean sailing on the Celebrity Edge.

592B7CB9-90F8-4CA4-BAEF-B741C4F34DAB.jpeg

I received a letter somewhat similar to that one except with different dates. I received mine March 30, it’s stated I was to get my refund in 7 to 10 days. That came and went.... no refunds as of yet😥 I notified the CC company and I’m waiting to hear back.