Cancelled Cruises Refund Tracker/Discussion (merged topics)

Quo Vadis?

We cancelled a cruise for next year (March 2021) on March 17, 2020 (just because we didn't feel right about the future and wanted to get out while we could).

After following up a couple of times we got our refund yesterday, so just over 30 days.

We were on Celebrity Solstice b2b in March. When the second part of the cruise was cancelled on March 14, we requested a refund.

Yesterday, I was pleased to see that the refund showed up on our credit card.
It was a large sum, as we were in a suite. I couldn’t remember the amount on our Celebrity invoice, but decided to check. To my surprise, the refund was $2,641.68 less than the amount we paid for the cruise.

Celebrity wouldn’t speak to me, so I contacted our travel agent. She said that Celebrity couldn’t/wouldn’t give a reason for the shortfall, but are giving us a refund for the stated amount - in two random payments of $614.00 and $1967.68, which will take at least thirty days, which is fine.

i know that Celebrity is under a lot of stress with all the cancellations and refund requests, but an error such as this is unacceptable, so please check your statements, to make sure that you receive the correct refund.

Refunds for cancellations of cruises or other purchases have always come in more than 1 refund.  I have always kept the Booking Confirmation and copies of any purchases via the cruise planner and as the bits and pieces of the refunds come thru I check them off.  So far we have always gotten everything we cancelled refunded.  We cancelled a speciality restaurant dinner, 2 shore excursions, 1 beverage package upgrade & 1 internet package.  Those were processed as 8 transactions and hit out credit card on 2 different days.  

1 hour ago, emairs said:

We were on Celebrity Solstice b2b in March. When the second part of the cruise was cancelled on March 14, we requested a refund.

Yesterday, I was pleased to see that the refund showed up on our credit card.
It was a large sum, as we were in a suite. I couldn’t remember the amount on our Celebrity invoice, but decided to check. To my surprise, the refund was $2,641.68 less than the amount we paid for the cruise.

Celebrity wouldn’t speak to me, so I contacted our travel agent. She said that Celebrity couldn’t/wouldn’t give a reason for the shortfall, but are giving us a refund for the stated amount - in two random payments of $614.00 and $1967.68, which will take at least thirty days, which is fine.

i know that Celebrity is under a lot of stress with all the cancellations and refund requests, but an error such as this is unacceptable, so please check your statements, to make sure that you receive the correct refund.

We have 8 sailings (some with 2 cabins) that Celebrity cancelled over a month ago.

Getting FCC for all (received 3 of 8 so far) but supposed to get cash refund of taxes / port charges.

Absolutely NOTHING yet !!! How can we possibly keep track if we are getting what we are supposed to?

And which ones are wrong ????

3 minutes ago, TommyD3 said:

We have 8 sailings (some with 2 cabins) that Celebrity cancelled over a month ago.

Getting FCC for all (received 3 of 8 so far) but supposed to get cash refund of taxes / port charges.

Absolutely NOTHING yet !!! How can we possibly keep track if we are getting what we are supposed to?

And which ones are wrong ????

Hopefully you have your invoice for each cruise.  If so, look at the cruise fare, subtract that amount, and you should get 100% of the remainder back to your form of payment.  Those amounts would be at least the taxes & fees, but also anything like pre-paid gratuities, purchased dining, and so forth. Because of the way Celebrity accounts, for things, there will likely be several different amounts, but the total will come out the same.  As for the Future Cruise Credit, take the cruise fare amount and multiply it times 1.25, and that should be the amount of the FCC for that trip. 

If you don't have the confirmation invoices, you can either get them through your TA if you use one, or by calling Celebrity. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, once a cruise is cancelled, Celeb cannot or does not or will not  send  Confirmation invoices. Tried for the second time to get one yesterday..which should show "cancelled" status in the upper right.  Rep tried to e mail it out, but it does not go through b/c it is no longer an open booking. I have all my initial and change confirmations..but not the final.  On a prior cancellation this was not a problem...but now it is,  apparently.

The Rep I spoke with did confirm the amt and  after going back and forth awhile about proof, at the end he gave me a Confirmation number for my cancellation.

Finding that the X system is not very good and woefully inconsistent.

My concern is with 8 cancellations and multiple refunds per cancellation how do I know which refund is for which cruise?

Is there a field in the credit card refund info with the booking number?

That is the only way to track the refunds against the bookings !!!

FYI it has been almost 6 weeks and I have not received one penny!!!

Celebrity is like a black hole !!!!

Well right at this very moment we should be at the airport waiting to  board our flight to SJU for a 2 night stay before our 7 night Summit cruise with our daughter and her family 😩
Our X PCC confirmed cancelation and my refund request on March 24th and said everything would be refunded within 3 weeks.
Two days ago after one short message to X,  I received a call back almost immediately from a rep in Kansas City MO who says she works "hand in hand" with Lisa Lutoff-Perlo and that my refunds should be received within 10 days to 2 weeks.
She explained the process to me and it's basically what we've all heard before, call me naïve but I had faith in what she said.  
This morning I received notice that our shore excursions refunds had been processed.
I have to say I was very impressed with the handling of my query and the quick response from Celebrity.
Everyone sit tight,  we'll start seeing our refunds shortly. 🙂
I want to add I'm just Elite and cruise only about twice a year these so days I don't think there was any
special consideration given there.  

Edited by webecruzin2
add comment

2 minutes ago, webecruzin2 said:

Well right at this very moment we should be at the airport waiting to  board our flight to SJU for a 2 night stay before our 7 night Summit cruise with our daughter and her family 😩
Our X PCC confirmed cancelation and my refund request on March 24th and said everything would be refunded within 3 weeks.
Two days ago after one short message to X,  I received a call back almost immediately from a rep in Kansas City MO who says she works "hand in hand" with Lisa Lutoff-Perlo and that my refunds should be received within 10 days to 2 weeks.
She explained the process to me and it's basically what we've all heard before, call me naïve but I had faith in what she said.  
This morning I received notice that our shore excursions refunds had been processed.
I have to say I was very impressed with the handling of my query and the quick response from Celebrity.

Hi,

Hope your right!

However, many on these boards (incl RCL boards) have yet to see 100%

refunds for March cruises that were cancelled (by the cruise lines). YES

they are trained to give you nice excuses but...

5 minutes ago, webecruzin2 said:

1. Waiting since March 7th for refund of Silhouette shortened cruise...... 46 days still waiting

2. March 15th Cruise Cancelled on March 12th... Zip, no email from Celebrity nor the Travel Agency

18 hours ago, vkb2751 said:

March 27 cruise cancelled by celebrity on 3/13. Requested refund same day. Haven’t received any refund yet. TA told us we will get refund 30 days after sailing date. New answers every time. There is no method to how refunds are being issued!

Just spoke to celebrity and was told refund for 3/27 has not been processed and will take 45 days for refund AFTER it is processed and sent to accounting. We have 4 cruises that have been cancelled and haven’t seen any cash refund so far. Called Chase and just sent fax with details for refunds due. Will see how that works.

3 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

My concern is with 8 cancellations and multiple refunds per cancellation how do I know which refund is for which cruise?

I suppose, inadvertently, you've just shown why Celebrity's refund process is longer than many think it should be.  Your several bookings show how much accounting work has to go into tracking funds, given all the variables involved with a cruise booking.  You have 8.  They are dealing with over 80,000.  Each one requires individual examination, just like your 8 do. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

One step backwards for us  today..

Our BOA statement today indicates the larger of our refunds ($3,000 + ) is still  under review, pending compliance with resolution  procedure. We thought this was done. We did mail in  our proof so hope we hear from them soon .

I tried to do one  refund/ dispute at a time  to avoid confusion but it seems confused anyhow.

We will call BOA on Monday to find out how long the review will take....trying not to lose faith.

Once  we get our disputes and refunds resolved..hope we can be done with this credit card....no need for Cruise Points which is their only reward???..

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, vkb2751 said:

Just spoke to celebrity and was told refund for 3/27 has not been processed and will take 45 days for refund AFTER it is processed and sent to accounting. We have 4 cruises that have been cancelled and haven’t seen any cash refund so far. Called Chase and just sent fax with details for refunds due. Will see how that works.

Chase told me they need proof that Celebrity isn’t paying, were you asked for that too? They’re supposed to send me a form to fill out and send back with supporting documents, how did it work with you?

While we have online banking we get a paper bill for our cc, so can’t file the dispute online, just adding to the delay...

8 minutes ago, omeinv said:

I suppose, inadvertently, you've just shown why Celebrity's refund process is longer than many think it should be.  Your several bookings show how much accounting work has to go into tracking funds, given all the variables involved with a cruise booking.  You have 8.  They are dealing with over 80,000.  Each one requires individual examination, just like your 8 do. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Perhaps this task is  just too much for X.

.Maybe they should have hired an audit firm instead of trying to handle it in house!

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

Perhaps this task is  just too much for X.

.Maybe they should have hired an audit firm instead of trying to handle it in house!

Well, I suspect the COVID-19 outbreak is proving "too much" for countless businesses, many health care systems, government agencies, and a lot of people. 

I hardly think bringing in an outside firm, taking the time to orient them to the process used, and then having them apply independent audit techniques to to figures would speed things up.  Instead, I'm willing to recognize this has created a singular situation that no company could reasonably have anticipated.  It would be foolish to have staff available to immediately handle cancellations of 100% of bookings, when that has never happened before, and couldn't continue as a normal business practice. 

Harris

Denver, CO

56 minutes ago, omeinv said:

Harris

Denver, CO

I think most of us understand that there are a lot of cancellations and involves a lot of work. However, 42 days after cancelling a cruise, the answer is that they don’t know when it will be processed AND it will take at least 45 days for accounting to issue actual refund after it is processed. This is not acceptable anymore. Giving them 45 days is enough for the first group of cancellations on 3/13/20 for a cruise sailing on 3/27. If we are talking more than 90 days for first batch, we will wait for a year for the future ones with sail dates in June!

Edited by vkb2751
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, prish said:

Chase told me they need proof that Celebrity isn’t paying, were you asked for that too? They’re supposed to send me a form to fill out and send back with supporting documents, how did it work with you?

While we have online banking we get a paper bill for our cc, so can’t file the dispute online, just adding to the delay...

Chase asked me to send fax with details of cruise - sail date, Res #, sailing from, # of days, list of payments and dates and cancellation date. I also sent them the response for each cruise received today.

we also get paper bill but a confirmed the payments dates on the app.

Edited by vkb2751

8 minutes ago, vkb2751 said:

I think most of us understand that there are a lot of cancellations and involves a lot of work. However, 42 days after cancelling a cruise, the answer is that they don’t know when it will be processed AND it will take at least 45 days for accounting to issue actual refund after it is processed. This is not acceptable anymore. Giving them 45 days is enough for the first group of cancellations on 3/13/20 for a cruise sailing on 3/27. If we are talking more than 90 days for first batch, we will wait for a year for the future ones with sail dates in June!

If it's not acceptable, dispute it with your credit card. 

Harris

Denver, CO

1 hour ago, hcat said:

One step backwards for us  today..

Our BOA statement today indicates the larger of our refunds ($3,000 + ) is still  under review, pending compliance with resolution  procedure. We thought this was done. We did mail in  our proof so hope we hear from them soon .

I tried to do one  refund/ dispute at a time  to avoid confusion but it seems confused anyhow.

We will call BOA on Monday to find out how long the review will take....trying not to lose faith.

Once  we get our disputes and refunds resolved..hope we can be done with this credit card....no need for Cruise Points which is their only reward???..

I’m with Chase and filed my dispute on line on their website. The amount disputed was subtracted the following day, however it’s a temporary credit while they investigate and have 60 days to do so. I don’t know how BofA works, but I wouldn’t necessarily look at what it said on your statement as a step backwards. IMO your claim is simply going through the processes.

1 hour ago, prish said:

I’m with Chase as well, and also receive paper statements. I was able to log into my Chase credit card account and file the dispute on line.  

Edited by BEAV

On 4/20/2020 at 1:37 PM, Purplsmurf said:

While we still haven’t received our refund for our March 14 cruise that was cancelled the evening before and refund requested almost immediately, we have finally received our refund from Allianz. We had 2 cabins and cancel for any reason insurance so it was nice to see the almost $800 credit show up on my cc today.

Did you file a trip delay claim or is that reimbursing your insurance? Were you already at the port when Celebrity canceled?

5 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

Good question!  I've got 5 cancellations in the hopper.  Two of them I cancelled prior to final payment, so those should be pretty clear, just a refund of my deposits.  The other 3 cancelled by Celebrity were all B2B which seems to be giving Celebrity fits.  The first cruise which was to have left San Juan on Sunday is no longer in my cruise planner.  The next two are still there.  My wonderful TA did have a conversation with her rep and forwarded me copies of all the e-mail correspondence they engaged in, so I do have some written proof that the cruises were cancelled.  But if and when stray, random amounts start hitting my AmEx, it's going to be difficult to determine what is what.

1 hour ago, vkb2751 said:

Chase asked me to send fax with details of cruise - sail date, Res #, sailing from, # of days, list of payments and dates and cancellation date. I also sent them the response for each cruise received today.

we also get paper bill but a confirmed the payments dates on the app.

Can you please give me fax number? Fax will work faster than mailing all the documents, am yet to get the form they were supposed to send.

41 minutes ago, BEAV said:

I’m with Chase and filed my dispute on line on their website. The amount disputed was subtracted the following day, however it’s a temporary credit while they investigate and have 60 days to do so. 

38 minutes ago, BEAV said:

BEAV, can you please tell me how you did this? I tried yesterday but wasn’t able to. Thanks both of you!