Cancelled Cruises Refund Tracker/Discussion (merged topics)

Quo Vadis?

3 hours ago, Naomi88 said:

That makes it even more creepy.  Why are they employing people to personally reach out to customers to "plan future travel" when they allegedly don't have enough staff to process refunds or FCCs?

Because they the need incoming cash deposits for new bookings in order to pay out all the refunds for cancelled cruises. 

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I'm starting to wonder if some of our problems is the TA's are holding the refunds??

How is that possible when the refund process goes directly from Celebrity to the client? 

IMO TA’s and Big Box stores are generically telling everyone 90 days. If the refund comes sooner, then great. And telling the client 90 days is beneficial to them so that you’re not calling them multiple times after the 30 day mark and you haven’t recieved your refund yet. If I was a TA, I’d probably do the same thing. Psychology 101! 

Edited by BEAV

Got this today from Celebrity customer services in UK - 

Good Morning, 

Thank you for your email .

I can confirm that Celebrity are still updating all Cancelation invoices to show the correct figures on them and once this is updated we will send this via email.

In regards of your refund , We apologize for the delay in processing your refund, rest assured your refund will be honored.  

Due to the unprecedented volume of transactions our internal systems and external banking institutions are processing all programs are being stressed.

As we work to reduce our processing times we have been notified by various banking institutions that there was an error in their systems causing delays with processing on the banks end. These errors have now been corrected and processing times are returning to normal.

Celebrity cruises are trying to process all refunds and FCC as quickly as possible as we understand that this is a very difficult time for everyone at this current moment. 

Thank you so much for your patience 🙂

Kind Regards

Guest Support Unit
Celebrity Cruises

Should I be wooried or be patient. I was to receive 25% refund for Summit Mar 7 cruise interuption and full refund for Summit Mar14 cancellation by cruiseline. I have had no contact or ackowledgement after filling out on line request.

15 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I'm starting to wonder if some of our problems is the TA's are holding the refunds??

We booked direct and are having the same issues. 30 days have now passed so it seems to be a Celebrity issue.

They do at least acknowledge that it should have been done in 30 days, other cruise lines are trying to now change the goalposts.

5 hours ago, louise1809 said:

Got this today from Celebrity customer services in UK - 

Good Morning, 

Thank you for your email .

I can confirm that Celebrity are still updating all Cancelation invoices to show the correct figures on them and once this is updated we will send this via email.

In regards of your refund , We apologize for the delay in processing your refund, rest assured your refund will be honored.  

Due to the unprecedented volume of transactions our internal systems and external banking institutions are processing all programs are being stressed.

As we work to reduce our processing times we have been notified by various banking institutions that there was an error in their systems causing delays with processing on the banks end. These errors have now been corrected and processing times are returning to normal.

Celebrity cruises are trying to process all refunds and FCC as quickly as possible as we understand that this is a very difficult time for everyone at this current moment. 

Thank you so much for your patience 🙂

Kind Regards

Guest Support Unit
Celebrity Cruises

Louise 1809

How long after you contacted Celebrity did it take to get this reply?

I too am awaiting a reply.

• Like 1

Yesterday I received 4 credits to my AmEx card which total $900.  The only charge that makes sense for that would be my two deposits on B2B Iceland/Greenland cruises in August.  Which I recently cancelled.  A week or so after I cancelled, I re-booked for 2021.  Wonder if that stimulated the refund?  So the new charge of $900 has a matching credit, for which I'm grateful.

Nothing at all on my B2B2B cruises starting on April 25 which were all cancelled by Celebrity quite a while ago.  So there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how the money is being refunded.  Except maybe by amount?  All those cruises were paid in full before the shutdown happened, so Celebrity has a significant amount of my money.

just received a full refund (almost, minus 5% which should come later I'm guessing maybe taxes or something) to my amex for my cruise on apex that was coming up next week.  I got an email and call last week saying that the refund was issued and may take up to 45 days but hit my card yesterday, 4 days after the email.  

Edited by psirusmojo
  • Like 1

We cancelled an August cruise before final payment  and requested a cash refund.

We booked the cruise onboard with a $200 nonrefundable deposit and made a $500 payment toward the cruise sometime later.    Celebrity said they'd give us $700 FCC under the Sail with Confidence deal.  We did not book under this deal.

The usual rules with cancelling a cruise is that before final payment, you get it all refunded to the payment method used.   Does booking onboard change those rules?  Our travel agent said Celebrity said "no exceptions."  Huh?

Has anyone had that happen to them?

Thank you.

Celebrity is not the worst by far,.

.Reading some really bad stories about Air bnb rentals.  Very stiff penalties  &  some very greedy & intransigent hosts! 

Makes the Cruise Lines seem super to deal with!

Edited by hcat

On April 3rd I cancelled a Celebrity Mediterranean cruise that I had booked for October. My credit card was just credited with 3 charges that added up to the $960 deposit. The refund was dated April 19th but just showed up today. I have been checking my card daily because I had 2 different cruises I am awaiting refunds on. 

40 minutes ago, ping1 said:

We cancelled an August cruise before final payment  and requested a cash refund.

We booked the cruise onboard with a $200 nonrefundable deposit and made a $500 payment toward the cruise sometime later.    Celebrity said they'd give us $700 FCC under the Sail with Confidence deal.  We did not book under this deal.

The usual rules with cancelling a cruise is that before final payment, you get it all refunded to the payment method used.   Does booking onboard change those rules?  Our travel agent said Celebrity said "no exceptions."  Huh?

Has anyone had that happen to them?

Thank you.

It's not booking on board that changed anything, it's that you booked a non-refundable booking.

You hurt yourself by making that additional payment, but Celebrity is giving you $200.00 more in Future Cruise Credit than they absolutely had to.  Here's way (warning, it's kind of complex):

When you book on board, you generally pay a $100.00 per person deposit.  The regular deposit varies by cruise length, but for longer cruises it's $450.00 per person. 

When you book a non-refundable deposit, you agree that the entire deposit amount is not going to be refunded in cash, but instead you'll lose $100.00 per person penalty, and the remainder will be returned as a future cruise credit. 

You booked on board, paying $200.00 at that time, then - and this is where you hurt yourself - you paid an additional $500.00.  You likely simply thought of this as a payment toward the cruise but, since it was before final payment date, Celebrity correctly dealt with it as an additional deposit.  This brought your total deposit to $700.00.  You chose to cancel, and thus Celebrity is deducting the $200.00 non-refundable deposit penalty, and retaining the remaining money you paid, in accordance with the agreement you entered into.  My recent experience with on-board bookings is the Cruise Sales Staff has been having customers sign an acknowledgement of the non-refundable booking terms. 

Anyhow, if it's any consolation - and I realize it likely isn't - had you cancelled after paying the full $900.00 for a booking not made on board, you'd have lost $200.00 and gotten $700.00 in future cruise credit.  You've paid $700.00 and are getting $700.00 in future cruise credit, so in that sense you've come out $200.00 ahead. 

Interesting side note, Celebrity is no longer using the non-refundable deposits on new bookings.  It won't change anything for your case, but they're not using them at least for now. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv

Today (28 April) Celebrity credited back to my credit card my non refundable deposit and taxes for our 28 March cruise they canceled and I elected the cash refund. I guess the cruise fare for that cruise will show up on the credit card next. We also had a 4 April cruise Celebrity cancelled and I elected the cash refund so those refunds should be next. Glad to see the refunds, finally!  

26 minutes ago, omeinv said:

It's not booking on board that changed anything, it's that you booked a non-refundable booking.

You hurt yourself by making that additional payment, but Celebrity is giving you $200.00 more in Future Cruise Credit than they absolutely had to.  Here's way (warning, it's kind of complex):

When you book on board, you generally pay a $100.00 per person deposit.  The regular deposit varies by cruise length, but for longer cruises it's $450.00 per person. 

When you book a non-refundable deposit, you agree that the entire deposit amount is not going to be refunded in cash, but instead you'll lose $100.00 per person penalty, and the remainder will be returned as a future cruise credit. 

You booked on board, paying $200.00 at that time, then - and this is where you hurt yourself - you paid an additional $500.00.  You likely simply thought of this as a payment toward the cruise but, since it was before final payment date, Celebrity correctly dealt with it as an additional deposit.  This brought your total deposit to $700.00.  You chose to cancel, and thus Celebrity is deducting the $200.00 non-refundable deposit penalty, and retaining the remaining money you paid, in accordance with the agreement you entered into.  My recent experience with on-board bookings is the Cruise Sales Staff has been having customers sign an acknowledgement of the non-refundable booking terms. 

Anyhow, if it's any consolation - and I realize it likely isn't - had you cancelled after paying the full $900.00 for a booking not made on board, you'd have lost $200.00 and gotten $700.00 in future cruise credit.  You've paid $700.00 and are getting $700.00 in future cruise credit, so in that sense you've come out $200.00 ahead. 

Interesting side note, Celebrity is no longer using the non-refundable deposits on new bookings.  It won't change anything for your case, but they're not using them at least for now. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Great explanation.  I think the same thing happened to @39august.   The moral of the story is if you have a reduced deposit NEVER make a partial payment prior to final payment date.   Probably a good idea on any reservation.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:09 PM, phoenix_dream said:

I heard from our travel agent that the entire refund comes from Celebrity to us.  In our situation, we were a week out when Celebrity cancelled all cruises.  We did opt for the refund instead of FCC.   We have been told that we wil get our refund this week.  time will tell 

Our cruise was cancelled... was scheduled to leave 4/24/20. Cancelled with Celebrity's forms via email in mid March. Have emailed many times,  called 3 times have been told: 30 days, 30-60 days and last week was told 30-60 business days. No one can ever give me any exact information or exact dollar amounts.  Should I go the credit card company route & dispute charges. We have been using celebrity for so many years and I had so much confidence in them. I know it’s extenuating circumstances but the tune changes every time I talk to them. And I’m concerned I’m not gonna get my money back. Suggestions?

Edited by travelr3

1 hour ago, travelr3 said:

Our cruise was cancelled... was scheduled to leave 4/24/20. Cancelled with Celebrity's forms via email in mid March. Have emailed many times,  called 3 times have been told: 30 days, 30-60 days and last week was told 30-60 business days. No one can ever give me any exact information or exact dollar amounts.  Should I go the credit card company route & dispute charges. We have been using celebrity for so many years and I had so much confidence in them. I know it’s extenuating circumstances but the tune changes every time I talk to them. And I’m concerned I’m not gonna get my money back. Suggestions?

For what it's worth, I am in the same situation.  Cancelled 9th March & get a different timeline as each timeline comes & goes.  I'm at 50 days now and I'm not sure I'll wait beyond 60 days before I go the credit card route as I totally expect to be told 90 days next time.

Here is another data point for you folks waiting for a refund.

Cruise on Equinox due to depart on March 21st. Cancelled by Celebrity on March 13th, I requested cash refund through my TA on March 19th.

3 separate payments back to my CC on April 28th. The payments appear to be for taxes and fees, additional charges and the cruise fare, but it’s not entirely clear from the amounts. 

Von and John,

no they don’t. The refund amounts for  taxes and additional charges are the same as on my invoice. The cruise fare refund does not match my invoice amount.

It is short by about $300. I’m planning to give it another week and see if any further payments come through. If not I’ll ask my TA to query.