Good travel reads or travel shows to watch now

cruisemom42

Jocap, you might enjoy doing a cruise out of Baltimore.  The first few hours of the cruise are sailing within the Chesapeake, with views of some historic areas.  Both Royal Caribbean and Carnival base ships in Baltimore year-round, with a number of different itineraries.

• Like 1

Today I watched about 5 hours of Henry Louis Gates' Africa's Great Civilizations.  I just love historical documentaries.  Would have watched all of it but had to leave early to go to the commissary.  What a madhouse! 

Also, Hans Mateboer is a now retired captain for HAL.  He has written three books of anecdotes.  I bought all three on my Kindle.  Some anecdotes are informational, and some are downright hilarious.  Especially the one about the lifeboat drill while in drydock (wetdock).  This one is only $0.99 right now:  https://www.amazon.com/Captains-Quest-Hans-Mateboer-ebook/dp/B00DXNL000/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=Hans+Mateboer&qid=1584837136&s=books&sr=1-10

EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Today I watched about 5 hours of Henry Louis Gates' Africa's Great Civilizations.  I just love historical documentaries.  Would have watched all of it but had to leave early to go to the commissary.  What a madhouse! 

Also, Hans Mateboer is a now retired captain for HAL.  He has written three books of anecdotes.  I bought all three on my Kindle.  Some anecdotes are informational, and some are downright hilarious.  Especially the one about the lifeboat drill while in drydock (wetdock).  This one is only $0.99 right now:  https://www.amazon.com/Captains-Quest-Hans-Mateboer-ebook/dp/B00DXNL000/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=Hans+Mateboer&qid=1584837136&s=books&sr=1-10

EM

I've watched several of those episodes of Africa's Great Civilizations -- fascinating! I've a huge interest in ancient civilizations and, other than Egypt and a bit of Nubia, I know little about Egypt's past. Well worth watching...

Also, thanks for mentioning the books by Hans Mateboer. Sounds like something my parents (long-time HAL cruisers) would love.

I so enjoy the travel writing of Doug Lansky as he is hilarious, self-deprecating and doesn’t engage in flowery writing. He is a good TEDx speaker as well.

Paul Theroux is good but can be cranky and too much of that gets old.

I prefer remote adventure travel so the following are among my faves.

Sara Wheeler’s Terra Incognita: Travels in Antarctica

Caroline Alexander’s The Endurance: Shackleton’s Legendary Antarctic Expedition

Liv Arnesen and Ann Bancroft’s No Horizon is so Far: Two Women and Their Historic Journey Across Antarctica

Douglas Preston’s The Lost City of the Monkey God: A True Story

J. Maarten Troost’s The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific and his other books.

NPR is a very good source for adventure travel reporting and writing.  

Edited by Bookish Angel

15 minutes ago, Bookish Angel said:

I so enjoy the travel writing of Doug Lansky as he is hilarious, self-deprecating and doesn’t engage in flowery writing. He is a good TEDx speaker as well.

Paul Theroux is good but can be cranky and too much of that gets old.

I prefer remote adventure travel so the following are among my faves.

Sara Wheeler’s Terra Incognita: Travels in Antarctica

Caroline Alexander’s The Endurance: Shackleton’s Legendary Antarctic Expedition

Liv Arnesen and Ann Bancroft’s No Horizon is so Far: Two Women and Their Historic Journey Across Antarctica

I thank you for the Antarctica reads -- hopefully headed in that direction in 2021.

I agree Theroux can get cranky (and sometimes Bill Bryson as well). :classic_cool:

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I thank you for the Antarctica reads -- hopefully headed in that direction in 2021.

I agree Theroux can get cranky (and sometimes Bill Bryson as well). :classic_cool:

To me, Bill Bryson is the King of Cranky.  I just cannot abide his writing.  

Edited by Bookish Angel
  • Like 1

According to our newspaper  (Yes, there are still newspapers printed!) the original "An Affair to Remember" will be shown on the Fox Movie Channel (FXM) Monday afternoon.   It's a classic from 1957, starting with a glorious romance onboard a cruise ship.   Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant -you just can't get much better!    Prepare to use a few precious Kleenex before its over.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Jocap, you might enjoy doing a cruise out of Baltimore.  The first few hours of the cruise are sailing within the Chesapeake, with views of some historic areas.  Both Royal Caribbean and Carnival base ships in Baltimore year-round, with a number of different itineraries.

Thank you for that... I'd no idea that they sailed in the Chesapeake, but it makes sense. I could even stay with a long-time forum friend in PA before- we've made vague plans to meet over the years.

I'm grateful. x

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Also, thanks for mentioning the books by Hans Mateboer.

I had forgotten about Captain Mateboer's books.  I have read all that he has written.  His children's books are first rate in introducing children to a maritime environment.  

7 hours ago, crusinpsychRN said:

I don't think it's a hijack. I'm interested in what person has to say.

As the original poster, I specifically asked for TRAVEL reads and TRAVEL shows. If people start posting on general good reads/movies/TV, the information I'm looking for will get completely lost and is off topic. That's the very definition of a hijack.

The OP is certainly welcome and able to start a general thread on good books.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jocap said:

Thank you for that... I'd no idea that they sailed in the Chesapeake, but it makes sense. I could even stay with a long-time forum friend in PA before- we've made vague plans to meet over the years.

I'm grateful. x

BWI Airport is the closest to Port of Baltimore, btw.  I believe there are direct flights from the UK.

Meeting with PA friend sounds like a good plan!

Grandeur of the Seas does a number of varied itineraries from Baltimore (to be replaced with Enchantment in 2021).  Apart from mid-winter, when it gets dark fairly early, there will be several hours of sailing through the Chesapeake in daylight.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Kartgv said:

According to our newspaper  (Yes, there are still newspapers printed!) the original "An Affair to Remember" will be shown on the Fox Movie Channel (FXM) Monday afternoon.   It's a classic from 1957, starting with a glorious romance onboard a cruise ship.   Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant -you just can't get much better!    Prepare to use a few precious Kleenex before its over.   

1pm EDT today.

18 hours ago, crusinpsychRN said:

Why does Titanic come on every time just before I cruise??

Why not?  It's a movie that I really enjoy simply because of the movie itself.  Watching the movie about the "Poseidon" just before I sail for a New Year's Cruise makes me more appreciative that my vessel survived the stroke of Midnight.  

• Like 1