Refunds

Globetrotter21

Mine was cancelled on Friday.  All I have received is a $200 gift card in the mail.  I used that to pay for part of our shore excursions.  When I called to rebook our cruise the other day, the rep told me it would be closer to the 90 days before we got the money back on our credit cards.  

2 minutes ago, TXcruiser13 said:

I canceled two weeks ago. Received my main credits, but all Funship purchases for our cabin have not yet been refunded. I called this morning and was told “90 days”. Whaddaya gonna do? 

As I stated above, I too got my deposit returned within 2 days, but my water purchase (only $5.45) came on a separate credit.....but it did show up on my cc statement about a week later.  (same cc).

I have been wondering this also.  Mine was canceled when they suspended operations and I filled out for the refund.

I paid for mine earlier this year and am still in the dispute window with me credit card company.  I wondered about going ahead and filing a dispute while I still have the option.  I also have a shore excursion I have not gotten refunded yet for.  I just don't want to see Carnival hold it against me for filing a dispute; which I have heard horror stories of other lines banning passengers who tried to dispute charges.  Has anyone had experience filing a CC dispute with them before?  

If carnival is taking 90 days for refunds, why file a dispute? Just because you are bored and impatient like all of us are who are stuck at home?

Actually I worked in disputes for am ex. If it's for a relatively small amount they will write it off, and tell you the credit will remain  on your account. We weren't allowed to say we wrote it off, now the value of your account with us is diminished. You actually have a value, but we cant tell you that either.

Some get mad if told the credit didnt come from the merchant, but we had a calculation of how much it costs in terms of employee time etc, and below that we wrote it off. 

Edited by firefly333

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

If carnival is taking 90 days for refunds, why file a dispute? Just because you are bored and impatient like all of us are who are stuck at home?

Actually I worked in disputes for am ex. If it's for a relatively small amount they will write it off, and tell you the credit will remain  on your account. We weren't allowed to say we wrote it off, now the value of your account with us is diminished. You actually have a value, but we cant tell you that either.

Some get mad if told the credit didnt come from the merchant, but we had a calculation of how much it costs in terms of employee time etc, and below that we wrote it off. 

Has nothing to do with boredom. Thinking about using the option while I have it. If I wait the 90 days and the refund either does not happen or, worse carnival is out of business, then I am out for sure. 

I'm pretty sure the cost of a cruise is a large enough amount the card company is not going to just write it off. But I agree with you I don't like the idea of sticking the cc company with it. 

6 hours ago, Kabal22 said:

I have been wondering this also.  Mine was canceled when they suspended operations and I filled out for the refund.

I paid for mine earlier this year and am still in the dispute window with me credit card company.  I wondered about going ahead and filing a dispute while I still have the option.  I also have a shore excursion I have not gotten refunded yet for.  I just don't want to see Carnival hold it against me for filing a dispute; which I have heard horror stories of other lines banning passengers who tried to dispute charges.  Has anyone had experience filing a CC dispute with them before?  

I think you will be sorry if you put it in dispute. I have done that a few times over the years and it is not an instant credit, they just don’t require payments on the disputed amount. The charge remains in your account while they investigate the claim, which means they will contact Carnival. The dispute will be between you and Carnival over the 90 day timeline for refunds. 

In the meantime, once you file that dispute, good luck getting a refund from Carnival. IMO filing a dispute will complicate your situation and will make it harder, not easier to get your refund in a timely fashion. Just my thoughts though, good luck whatever you decide!

I know that the OBC you get as a booking promotion is not part of your refund, but what about OBC that was from price drops for an early saver booking? I have $450 OBC for one of the cabins we booked. It was paid in full, then reduced quite a bit. But it's actual money that I paid already.

3 hours ago, jules7883 said:

I know that the OBC you get as a booking promotion is not part of your refund, but what about OBC that was from price drops for an early saver booking? I have $450 OBC for one of the cabins we booked. It was paid in full, then reduced quite a bit. But it's actual money that I paid already.

In my experience when I secured price drops after I made final payment the difference was credited as OBC and the total price I paid for the cruise stayed the same. When I cancelled the total price I paid was what was refunded, 50% in FCC and 50% to my credit card.

So you will get back everything you paid, the OBC on the cruise you want to cancel is included in the price which will be refunded in FCC, to your payment method or a combination of both,  depending on what your cancellation penalty would be. I was just over 30 days out so in the 50% penalty phase. It’s hard to explain, I hope that makes sense, lol! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jules7883 said:

That's the way mine appeared to be since my total amount paid never changed, just showed I had a credit due which would've been OBC if I were to have taken the cruise.  The CSR agent quoted me the total price paid as my amount and calculated the cancellation fee which was turned into FCC.  Not sure how it will all come back to me though, have read that some are getting random amounts returned  to them at different times, 😅.

22 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

I think you will be sorry if you put it in dispute. I have done that a few times over the years and it is not an instant credit, they just don’t require payments on the disputed amount. The charge remains in your account while they investigate the claim, which means they will contact Carnival. The dispute will be between you and Carnival over the 90 day timeline for refunds. 

In the meantime, once you file that dispute, good luck getting a refund from Carnival. IMO filing a dispute will complicate your situation and will make it harder, not easier to get your refund in a timely fashion. Just my thoughts though, good luck whatever you decide!

To add to this (which is correct) if you booked through a TA or anyone other than Carnival, the dispute and chargeback goes to THEM, not the cruise line.

We cancelled on March 8 the Sunday before the shut down. I received our taxes and port fees refund within five days or so. We have yet to decide if we are going to take the refund on the the cruise fare or use the FCC towards our Mardi Gras cruise in January. I am doubtful that cruise will even happen at this point. 

I have yet to receive the refund for the cheers packages and soda packages we purchased, roughly $900. They told me 7-10 business days but it has been longer than that. Hope to see something come through soon. I won't be calling because I don't want to stay on hold for an hour or two just to find out that my refund is on it's way. lol What can you do at this point other than wait? The whole world is in a holding pattern right now and it's frustrating for everyone on both ends of the spectrum!

My April cruise was cancelled but also have a December cruise booked. Does anyone know if I can apply my FCC and OBC from April's cancellation towards my December cruise or it it has be for a new booking?  I have not chosen between a full refund or FCC yet because I would like to know the answer to my question first.