Refunds

Globetrotter21

I have close to $8K (previously trapped in FCC) I'm waiting on refund.  We had an island wedding planned with Carnival and paid for all of our guest's cabins.

We initially cancelled in Early March before the policy change because we were nearing our 14 day cancellation.  They refunded a little less than 50% within 2-3 days and we had more money trapped in FCC.  Once the policy change hit, I called back on March 14th and they agreed to transfer our $8K back as a refund.  I will give a lot of credit to the Customer service (I'm always polite and professional, but firm.  We wanted our money back...this whole situation ruined our wedding ceremony and we needed the money for our future plans) as they were extremely polite and helpful.  They told me it would take 90 days.

I called back about a week later, and again spoke with customer service as I had calculated the refund amounts across the cards we used (scheduled all this late summer 2019 so we had been paying periodically) and we went by amount by amount and they verified everything.  I asked if there was anything they can do to expedite the refund and the service rep. said they would add a note but that everything was going through the "Accounting Department".

Obviously, they need a better system to confirm refunds and send e-mails to customers.  It's a little backwards too that I was suddenly almost immediately receiving calls from Carnival's "Personal Vacation Planner" when I had $8K in FCC.

I'm sure they're overwhelmed, but I haven't really heard of ANYONE getting their refund yet except for the few here (and it seems like those had cancelled before the policy update).  It almost seems like Carnival was holding out (maybe hoping to catch some cash from the stimulus bill but they're not incorporated in the USA soooo...), but I hope they can get moving on this (SAFELY for the workers involved).  I don't think they can work remotely to process refunds, but a lot of you are correct...it is VERY easy to process refunds and move this quickly along.

Edited by DWolf2020

4 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

DWolf I am sorry about your situation and hope there's some alternate plan for the wedding.

Thank you.  It's postponed and we'll figure it out once this situation calms down.  We probably won't be doing the island/cruise wedding though.

I have some friends (and friends of friends) who have postponed or are reconsidering their wedding ceremonies.  Once postponed to November and the other one is day-to-day cause their wedding is in May but they're wondering what to do.

We know there's a lot of weddings messed up by this.  It sucks, especially after so much planning and coordination.  We'd just like our refund back sooner rather than later and start looking toward future options.

Edited by DWolf2020

DWolf I totally understand.  One of my daughters has a wedding cruise planned for April of next year with four cabins booked.  She is looking at alternatives already.

Fortunately we have more time to worry about refunds but since we are all paying our own expenses, timeliness of refunds is weighing heavily on her mind.

Still waiting as of 3/14/20 (and I made a follow-up phone call a week later).  I also was told about the "up to 90 days".

I've also made a comment on their Facebook page.  There should be SOME people getting refunds at this point because Carnival's page always comments to replies that they're "hard to work" processing refunds, but there has not been anyone who has confirmed receiving their refund..at least on the Facebook page.

I think someone else in another thread posted a rumor that Carnival is pursuing a multi-million (maybe even a billion) loan.  Perhaps they're waiting to secure that as well and are just "slow-rolling" refunds.

Edited by DWolf2020

I called yesterday - I had requested a refund and have been trying to get some kind of confirmation for over 3 weeks. I finally received a confirmation detailing the FCC they would be giving me. DOH! Anyways, I got though immediately and spoke to an agent who said that she had made notes on my (cancelled) booking that I wanted a refund but said that it needed to then go through the resolutions department. She wasn't able to give me a timeline as to how long the process would be from this point (it has taken  19 days to get this far and I have nothing refunded at all). Hang in there everyone and keep us updated on progress (or lack of).

We received an email from Carnival 9 days ago officially notifying us our 4/10 Honolulu to Vancouver cruise was being cancelled.  We were given the option of refund or FCC with $600 OBC.  The email said no matter which option we took, we'd get our taxes, pre-paid shore tours, insurance, etc. automatically refunded back to us. We haven't decided yet what we're going to do; we have until the end of the year to figure it out so we're not in a hurry.  I don't expect to get the refunded amount back quickly but the cruise still shows up in my cruise manager online and now says 12 days to cruising.  Pretty sad to see that countdown every time I pull up the Carnival site.  😞 

• Like 1

I cancelled the 3 Carnival Kitchen classes for two that i had booked for our April 11th cruise almost 20 days ago and still no refund to my credit card. Waiting to cancel the cruise once the announcement is made tomorrow, as I officially have to the 31st to cancel; holding out to see if I get a little better offer for FCC vs. refund

5 hours ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

I cancelled the 3 Carnival Kitchen classes for two that i had booked for our April 11th cruise almost 20 days ago and still no refund to my credit card. Waiting to cancel the cruise once the announcement is made tomorrow, as I officially have to the 31st to cancel; holding out to see if I get a little better offer for FCC vs. refund

Did you get an email when you cancelled the Kitchen classes online?  I had to cancel mine yesterday and while it is no longer on my booking I didn't get an email confirmation.  Thanks!

Carnival has a poor system when it comes to e-mail confirmation cancellations.  Probably something they need to work on for the future.  I've been able to work with some solid customer service agents who have been able to capture a screenshot from their system and send that to me as a "confirmation".

I honestly think they haven't processed any refunds since their March 13th update.  There has been no one confirming a refund after the date.  I keep hearing of mentions of the "Accounting Dept." having to do the work (but I know customer service had initiate a refund processing...they've done it before with my cruise).  My guess is that they're still assessing their financial losses and such.  But they should get moving quick.  A lot of folks need that money back because of various situations that COVID-19 has put them in.  Carnival shouldn't be holding onto that money any longer.  I'm sorry if it puts them in a precarious financial position to start refunding it all without securing their finances (like the rumored loan they might take), but they're going to anger more customers the longer they take.

• Like 2

Seeing everyone else waiting so long for their refunds calms my nerves some. I cancelled my July cruise 2 weeks ago and haven't received a refund yet or even a confirmation email so I was getting concerned. I'm fine with waiting some time for the refund as I'm not desperate for the money at this moment, but a confirmation of the cancellation would be nice.

On 3/20/2020 at 1:45 PM, Globetrotter21 said:

Has anyone received their refund yet for a cancelled cruise? I canceled about 2 weeks ago and still have not received it. How long does it take?

I cancelled day before yesterday, was told 90 days.  I still haven't received my email of cancellation. 

I cancelled on March 8 and received all my money back from Specialty Dining, Excursions and the Cruise between march 11-13 

P.S. I did have the insurance.

Edited by Godzoox
  • Like 1

Silly question but how are you cancelling?  I go to my reservation and can't find anyway to cancel.  My cruise is not until July and final payment is due next week.  I have diabetes and don't know if they are going to change policy before then so I just want to cancel and can always rebook later.  I am sure there will be cabins:)

5 hours ago, DWolf2020 said:

A lot of folks need that money back because of various situations that COVID-19 has put them in.  Carnival shouldn't be holding onto that money any longer.  I'm sorry if it puts them in a precarious financial position to start refunding it all without securing their finances (like the rumored loan they might take), but they're going to anger more customers the longer they take.

This is us. We had the money when we had two jobs and some side hustle income. Now we only have one job and no side hustle income. I need the money, like ASAP. I know they’re pushed. I know. But that 3k would help keep my family afloat the next few months. We are due to sail out the day before the presidential announcement came. If they’re working by sail date, we should’ve been some of the first receiving refunds. 

On 3/29/2020 at 7:09 PM, ZoeyVictoria said:

I cancelled an excursion (for a cruise that will be cancelled this week) and received an email on March 14 stating that my refund had been processed and I would receive it in 5-7 days.  Nothing as of this date, 15 days later.

Update:  I rebooked our cruise today and mentioned this cancelled shore excursion to my PVP.  He said the email I received had not been updated and the refund will be received in 90 days rather than 5-7.

1 hour ago, mbarker10 said:

This is us. We had the money when we had two jobs and some side hustle income. Now we only have one job and no side hustle income. I need the money, like ASAP. I know they’re pushed. I know. But that 3k would help keep my family afloat the next few months. We are due to sail out the day before the presidential announcement came. If they’re working by sail date, we should’ve been some of the first receiving refunds. 

Sorry to hear it mbarker, I read on another thread that their Accounting Dept. is closed, but how is it that their customer call center and their personal cruise assistants are still working?

I'd recommend calling them and seeing what they can do to expedite the refund.  Carnival needs to find some way to either let their accounting dept. work to complete all the refunds AND be safe.  Maybe cut staff down and rotate them every week.

Edited by DWolf2020
  • Like 1

OK, here is my questions.  I have a PVP for the first time this year.  I see many of you posting that you see the "price drop" after you have made your final payment.  Do you find this on your own, or does the PVP notify you of this? Also, someone mentioned about receiving a $200 gift card after cancellation.  How did that happen? It looks like there are different loop-holes, but HOW do I find them????

Carnival cancelled my Mar. 21 cruise and now my Apr. 11 cruise (one refund request/one FCC request)

I have not received any refunds and I am also waiting for 2 excursion refunds and 2 spa package refunds

I called my cc company to see if they had received anything from Carnival and Nothing

I am ready to do the disputes and if the refunds come in I will cancel the disputes

What are these "nightmares" regarding disputes?

I would think in this time Carnival would be a little more lax

4 hours ago, Godzoox said:

I cancelled on March 8 and received all my money back from Specialty Dining, Excursions and the Cruise between march 11-13 

P.S. I did have the insurance.

It's looking like March 8th may have been the last day they processed refunds quickly. I cancelled on March 9 and I'm still waiting for cruise fare and two excursions.

2 hours ago, DWolf2020 said:

Sorry to hear it mbarker, I read on another thread that their Accounting Dept. is closed, but how is it that their customer call center and their personal cruise assistants are still working?

I'd recommend calling them and seeing what they can do to expedite the refund.  Carnival needs to find some way to either let their accounting dept. work to complete all the refunds AND be safe.  Maybe cut staff down and rotate them every week.

I was definitely salty when I got a call from a cruise assistant last week.