"Must See" Tour

How much is "so much?" What's your limit for staying on your feet at one time and total over the course of the day? Can you handle two strenuous days back-to-back (without wearing yourself out for other ports like Tallinn)?

The tour operators themselves are your best resources. Email them and they can match you with a tour that best fits your needs. I recommend emailing several and choosing the best match for you. (I selected a private tour with Red Sun Tours as the best match for us on our last trip after emailing around. You might find a different best match.)

And remember that one person's "must see" is another's "meh," so don't feel that you need to see some sight just because others are raving about it. Choose what you like.

16 hours ago, duquephart said:

I'd like to hear some comments on the "strenuous" level of the Alla tours. We can do only so much walking at a time.

I assume that you are interested in the Must See tour offered by Alla. It is not at all a strenuous tour - in fact,  her website lists it at a moderate activity level.

We found it a wonderful small group tour at a very reasonable price that included all the "must see" sights for the first time visitor.

Edited by dogs4fun

• 2 months later...

We took the Alla must see tour last June and were thoroughly enjoyed it.It doesn't hit all the stops as other tours but you have 2 full days.One important aspect is you enter the Hermitage and Catherine Palace before the public enters.You get a lunch in a restaurant for both days.Our guide Yulia was was  very knowledgeable  and made the 2 days very enjoyable.

From previous posts the "Must See" tour sounds like what Alla used to call their "Comfort" tour.

We chose that less-strenuous two-day tour because there was no day-at-sea immediately before or after St P. and we wanted to also go to an evening show in St P.

We found it all very easy, not much walking and few steps/stairs - & we're no spring-chickens.

Regretted not doing the full-blown "Grand Tour" because we'd have been up-for-it,  but we chatted to folk who'd done that Grand Tour - it involved only two (three?) extra sights & none of them desperately important.

JB :classic_smile:

54 minutes ago, John Bull said:

From previous posts the "Must See" tour sounds like what Alla used to call their "Comfort" tour.

We chose that less-strenuous two-day tour because there was no day-at-sea immediately before or after St P. and we wanted to also go to an evening show in St P.

We found it all very easy, not much walking and few steps/stairs - & we're no spring-chickens.

Regretted not doing the full-blown "Grand Tour" because we'd have been up-for-it,  but we chatted to folk who'd done that Grand Tour - it involved only two (three?) extra sights & none of them desperately important.

What?? Not spring chickens? Methinks you exaggerate - after all, 60 is the new 40. 😎

Alla still offers the Comfort tour - it is limited in size to just 8 people and I assume that the itinerary is different from "your" Comfort tour of a few years ago. It is difficult to keep up with the changes to the independent operators' tour itineraries - so many change each year.

We have done both the Grand and the Must See. The Must See tour offers more sights (all the big hitters) than the Comfort and our experience was that the Must See was not a highly active tour (the Grand tour was very active and included the most sights). 

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

We did the comfort tour back in 2007. Lots of stuff, but not real strenuous, though definitely full days. Our group also had a few things added, a synagogue was agreed upon before the tour. When the tour started, we were asked if there was anything anyone wanted added, and I mentioned I had heard that the subways were interesting. We were taken for a few subway stops with our driver picking us up afterwards.

We are also looking at Alla's must see tour and like the fact that it is listed as moderate.  I agree its difficult to know just how strenuous vs moderate would be if actual walking distances and time standing.