P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

13 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I was horrified yesterday when the case rate here went from 772 per 100K the day before to 831 per 100K the next day.  It seems to be getting out of control, so swift action is definitely needed now  

Definitely! I hadn’t seen numbers that high, I didn’t look for a few days. I think I’m in the next area over from you which is a little lower but it’s only a road between the 2 areas.

I worry every time my youngest daughter heads off to work. I wish they would close non essential shops immediately. Other than food and medicines shopping isn’t essential. 
I've just my little cry so I’ve got it out of my system in advance!

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I was horrified yesterday when the case rate here went from 772 per 100K the day before to 831 per 100K the next day.  It seems to be getting out of control, so swift action is definitely needed now  

Paulines cousin lives in Adelaide South Australia and their state government were concerned that they had 7 positive covid19 cases in the whole of South Australia.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

Me too. It amazes me how many people buy scratch cards though. Most find out they have wasted their money before they even leave the shop. Even if they win a small amount, they just give it back by buying another one.

Shouldn’t forget though that some money goes to charity but most ‘charities’ they fund are not really charities I would choose to donate to. 

A total rip-off and akin to an extra voluntary tax, in many instances, for those who can least afford to pay it.

When I worked in a well-known stationers, I would sometimes work on the Lottery counter, and the amount that was spent  daily was incredible. I remember an elderly gent that came in twice a week for years and would buy a £5 lucky dip each time. He came in once and told me that if his numbers came up he was going Jamaica. If he'd have saved all his money instead he could have gone years ago. 

Money is hard earned and I would rather benefit from it myself than make others rich. Dad always told me that you'll never see a poor bookie😁

Avril

• Like 2

I recall when the lottery first started that some clever person described it as the most elegant way yet devised of taking money from the poor and transferring it to the rich and their pursuits

We’ve done scratch cards at Christmas just three or four times since they were introduced.  It feels like harmless fun with a large group - I don’t think anyone holds their breath expecting their life to change

I suggested cards for the secret Santa having heard the radio ads daily for the last week or so.  I thought it was a reasonable idea - better than some of the embarrassing, sometimes even hurtful, alleged gifts I have seen pulled from the bran tub

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I know what you mean, but thousands of people work in those shops. With correct procedures in place, they can be perfectly safe.

You would hope so. My daughter works in retail and works in a small shop with very little wiggle room. If one worker tests positive the others can’t get tested to see if they are ok, they have to keep working and hope they don’t have it too, while potentially working while infected. She wears a mask and frequently washes her hands but she does not feel perfectly  safe. 
We are in the area that reportedly has this new strain of the virus which is spreading rapidly.

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

This was Tweeted by the Deputy Political Editor of the Sunday Times about half an hour ago

BREAKING: Christmas cancelled for London, South East and East, as areas moved into new Tier 4 with “stay at home” message by law. Christmas bubbles only allowed for Tiers 1 - 3 on Xmas Day with “stay local message”. International travel not advised. Latest plan

Quite possibly accurate.  Now delayed, as usual. This whole business of announcing Press Briefings and the not turning up smacks of chaos.

Johnson news conference delayed

The prime minister was due to speak at 16:00, but has seemingly been delayed.

While we are waiting, read our main story on the expectation that "tier four" will be announced for London and parts of the South East.

The announcement has been sparked by rising cases in the UK - check the data here.

We'll bring you updates from the PM's press conference as soon as it starts.

• Like 1

Ignore my last post saying my parents are coming for Christmas Day - absolutely gutted for them 😩 they were really looking forward to it, they’re really lonely.

Wish they’d cancelled it ages I’ve  got all the food in now! Me and my parents hardly go anywhere either it’s only my husband who is going out to work. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, P&O SUE said:

Ignore my last post saying my parents are coming for Christmas Day - absolutely gutted for them 😩 they were really looking forward to it, they’re really lonely.

Wish they’d cancelled it ages I’ve  got all the food in now! Me and my parents hardly go anywhere either it’s only my husband who is going out to work. 

I'm so sorry Sue, it must be awful when you've been so looking forward to it. I'm not sure if you will be  going to be in tier 4 but the best present we can all give our loved ones this Christmas is keeping them safe🙂

Avril

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

So sorry for you!

We’re trying to work out if support bubbles with babies can still meet? Otherwise I’ll be ferrying half our food over to Maidstone 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

So sorry, Sue, poor you, and your poor parents. Like you, I wish they'd done this a few days ago, when we had time to get used to the idea and organise either increasing or reducing supplies - middle daughter and husband now stuck in London with no festive food, awaiting their covid tests so unable to go out and get anything, while I have a bit of a glut. And too late to post their presents.

Like you, had my main supermarket order delivered today.  Shall look like a hippo by January - all those interesting things I avoid the rest of the year are looking at me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline was in a queue at M&S yesterday.

She was talking to a lady who worked in B&M discount who said lots of university students were very aggressive because they were told to wear masks and socially distance and the store had to employ doorman to control them.

These young people are the reason covid19 is spreading fast.

Graham.

It is not just young people, a lady who I know from bowling works in our local Tesco and she told me that they are not  allowed to challenge anyone not wearing a mask of not social distancing because they could be attacked and I personally saw an old man being abusive to one of the security men on the door when he asked him to put on a face covering.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Sorry for you Sue, and your parents and anyone else caught up in this.

There will be a lot of overstuffed fridges etc.  It’s a shame that almost all will be fresh food, so not suitable for food banks 😕

Good point, thank you. One of the local food banks has just introduced a 'fridge service. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

It is not just young people, a lady who I know from bowling works in our local Tesco and she told me that they are not  allowed to challenge anyone not wearing a mask of not social distancing because they could be attacked and I personally saw an old man being abusive to one of the security men on the door when he asked him to put on a face covering.

These people who won't wear masks or practice social distancing are stupid.

If they catch covid19 they will regret their stupidity.

• Like 3

I feel so sorry for all of those who have planned to have small family gatherings in line with the previous rules but have now been told that you can't do this now.  The government have known for days that the virus was growing in the South and should have made an announcement earlier.  We have no children or grandchildren so It is not a big deal for us but I have friends and family who have been looking forward to seeing grandchildren but won't be able to now.

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I'm so sorry for you and your parents Sue.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Sue I am so sorry.  It must be so disappointing for you all.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

These people who won't wear masks or practice social distancing are stupid.

If they catch covid19 they will regret their stupidity.

Personally I don't care about them, they are making their choice but I am concerned for those that they infect.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

TBH have heard and seen more elderly people saying "I am not wearing a mask or staying in we went through the war" or "I have had my life so dont care if I catch it" than youngsters going around shops without wearing masks.

Probably same people who don't wash their hands or use the hand gel on cruises.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm so sorry Sue, it must be awful when you've been so looking forward to it. I'm not sure if you will be  going to be in tier 4 but the best present we can all give our loved ones this Christmas is keeping them safe🙂

Avril

Yes I know but to be honest at their age it could be their last Christmas. I really envy people who have their children living with them. We weren’t going mad, we were 4 people for one day.

I feel like ripping my Christmas tree down!

• Like 3