P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

7 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Morning Harry

How lovely to hear about your wife's role in the hospice-at-home. It takes a very special person to undertake such a role and I suspect your wife is a very special person. My voluntary role at our local hospice has only ever been very part-time but I love it. I work in the laundry, the kitchen, serving food to the patients, and sometimes driving. We are very lucky to have a strong local volunteer pool so most jobs are covered all the time.

Sorry to report that our programme re the immunocompromised has not yet got underway. I've had to re-submit my numbers again and our PCN has employed an administrator to deal with the invites and comparisons with the NHS searches but no confirmation yet with regard to dates. The charities are right to kick-off and as for the consultants, we've only had two recommdations. It's just not good enough. I'll let you know as soon as I know anything definite.

Best wishes. Jane.x 

Many thanks, Jane.  The hospice movement is remarkable, isn't it - and outrageous that it (along with the air ambulance, RNLI and so many other essential services) has to rely so heavily on charity instead of government funding.

Thanks for the information on the third vaccine rollout - I did think that your practice at least would be well underway with it.  I'm just one of many on here, I'm sure, that needs this to get going, but yet again it's empty promises from the politicians and a system so flawed that it can't be delivered.

https://www.kidneycareuk.org/news-and-campaigns/news/lack-clarity-around-3rd-dose-immunosuppressed-leaves-thousands-risk/

The link above might be useful to you if you haven't already seen it - it applies not just to kidney patients of course, but all those on immunosuppression.  I wonder if this is going to be met:

"NHS England and NHS Improvement wrote to all hospitals and GP practices on 2 September, asking them to identify and contact all eligible patients for a third primary dose with immediate effect. In further letters to all NHS trusts and GP practices on 30 September, NHS England and NHS Improvement asked these sites to ensure they had identified and contacted all eligible patients by 11 October."

By the way, I'm not in any way blaming medical staff for this - just the people who cut their numbers to such an extent that there aren't enough left to function effectively. Very easy for the gutter press to attack GPs for not seeing 100% of patients in person (even though that plainly isn't necessary) but they never mention the clean-up time now required between patients or any of the other additional time spent on and pressures created by COVID-19.

Harry

• Like 2

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

Hi sis,how about this for a bit of swordfish.The restaurant is normally shut on wednesdays but cos the other 4 are driving back to UK friday they opened just for us.That's what I call lovely people,bro.IMG_20211006_191540.thumb.jpg.d94eb7c5268b16b25253027fda5d5f8c.jpgIMG_20211006_191634.thumb.jpg.d00bc0ac7698bb7c654f9c571cadc2d2.jpg

Nice pictures Brian.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Many thanks, Jane.  The hospice movement is remarkable, isn't it - and outrageous that it (along with the air ambulance, RNLI and so many other essential services) has to rely so heavily on charity instead of government funding.

Thanks for the information on the third vaccine rollout - I did think that your practice at least would be well underway with it.  I'm just one of many on here, I'm sure, that needs this to get going, but yet again it's empty promises from the politicians and a system so flawed that it can't be delivered.

https://www.kidneycareuk.org/news-and-campaigns/news/lack-clarity-around-3rd-dose-immunosuppressed-leaves-thousands-risk/

The link above might be useful to you if you haven't already seen it - it applies not just to kidney patients of course, but all those on immunosuppression.  I wonder if this is going to be met:

"NHS England and NHS Improvement wrote to all hospitals and GP practices on 2 September, asking them to identify and contact all eligible patients for a third primary dose with immediate effect. In further letters to all NHS trusts and GP practices on 30 September, NHS England and NHS Improvement asked these sites to ensure they had identified and contacted all eligible patients by 11 October."

By the way, I'm not in any way blaming medical staff for this - just the people who cut their numbers to such an extent that there aren't enough left to function effectively. Very easy for the gutter press to attack GPs for not seeing 100% of patients in person (even though that plainly isn't necessary) but they never mention the clean-up time now required between patients or any of the other additional time spent on and pressures created by COVID-19.

Harry

Everything you say is spot-on Harry and thanks for your recognition of the realities we are all trying (battling) to contend with.

I hadn't seen the link you kindly sent me but I've now read it through and found it very interesting - but frustrating in equal measure that we can't just get on with it. In my opinion involving Consultants at such a late stage was a huge error. Hospitals are notoriously slow at information sharing and my question is why can't we just vaccinate the people we know about now and add the Consultant referrals later. It's a logistical and bureaucratic nightmare Harry. 

It's no wonder GPs are retiring and leaving in their droves. I think the media misrepresentation of what is happening in GP surgeries is so unfair and just not true in the vast majority of practices. We saw patients face-to-face right through the pandemic if it was necessary. Sadly it was the unnecessary that hit, and still hits, the headlines - and people believe every word they read. I could go on but I know I'm preaching to the converted in you Harry so I'll just thank you for your understanding and promise to let you know what I can.

Best wishes. Jane.x 

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Everything you say is spot-on Harry and thanks for your recognition of the realities we are all trying (battling) to contend with.

I hadn't seen the link you kindly sent me but I've now read it through and found it very interesting - but frustrating in equal measure that we can't just get on with it. In my opinion involving Consultants at such a late stage was a huge error. Hospitals are notoriously slow at information sharing and my question is why can't we just vaccinate the people we know about now and add the Consultant referrals later. It's a logistical and bureaucratic nightmare Harry. 

It's no wonder GPs are retiring and leaving in their droves. I think the media misrepresentation of what is happening in GP surgeries is so unfair and just not true in the vast majority of practices. We saw patients face-to-face right through the pandemic if it was necessary. Sadly it was the unnecessary that hit, and still hits, the headlines - and people believe every word they read. I could go on but I know I'm preaching to the converted in you Harry so I'll just thank you for your understanding and promise to let you know what I can.

Best wishes. Jane.x 

Jane, I urge everyone on this forum to read your post, and the last paragraph in particular, before believing all the blatant nonsense being pushed out by certain 'popular' newspapers about GPs hiding away from patient contact.

I'll add to it with this extract from an email from a friend who's a retired GP about her daughter, also a GP.  I think it speaks volumes about the facts (unlike the gutter press, which is pursuing a populist and political agenda):

".........She has several weeks’ leave still to take and is working 10 hour days. Yesterday she texted us just after 6pm to say that she had just had her 125th patient contact that day! GPs are having a really bad press but they seem to be working hard at her surgery. She is seeing quite a lot of patients face to face but what the General Public doesn’t realise is that after each patient the GP herself/himself has to scrub down all the equipment, chair, couch, door handles etc. And then wash and change, which is time-consuming at best........."

Harry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Nice pictures Brian.

Cheers Graham,I have more of our drive here but the upload to my small laptop squashed the pics like those fairground mirrors,lol.I used the bigger laptop here and it's OK,Brian.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brian1 said:

Hi sis,how about this for a bit of swordfish.The restaurant is normally shut on wednesdays but cos the other 4 are driving back to UK friday they opened just for us.That's what I call lovely people,bro.IMG_20211006_191540.thumb.jpg.d94eb7c5268b16b25253027fda5d5f8c.jpgIMG_20211006_191634.thumb.jpg.d00bc0ac7698bb7c654f9c571cadc2d2.jpg

Hi bro.

Well that looks a lot nicer than my shepherds pie. Then again, even my shepherds pie would have been nicer in those surroundings.

Sis

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Both mum and I had a mincer like that. Later on I tried a 'modern' one that worked by suction, what a disaster. The suction released, the mincer flew across the kitchen, scattering food everywhere and the whole lot ended up in the dustbin, mincer included.

I always did beef on Sunday, as neither of us liked lamb. The leftover was minced along with an onion, large carrot, a crust of bread and moistened with a little oxo. I then rolled it up like a swiss roll in suet pastry and baked it. Lovely with chips and garden peas. All with a 10/- piece of beef.

I still sometimes make them now, but with a food processor.

Avril

The 10/- piece of beef brought back memories of when I was first married over 50 years ago. Our allowance for a Sunday joint, beef or lamb was 10/-, and we thought we were pushing the boat out then ! How times have changed, that money today would hardly cover the cost of potatoes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Hi bro.

Well that looks a lot nicer than my shepherds pie. Then again, even my shepherds pie would have been nicer in those surroundings.

Sis

Hi sis,did you notice that v shaped bit missing.My mate Mario always has to sample my grub.I should have nicked half of his steak,lol.Bro.

• Like 1

I remember a school trip in the junior school.When we sat down for our packed lunch,us council house kids got out our spam and corned beef sarnies.The one "rich kid" produced a chicken.We all sat there drooling,his old man had a betting shop I think.

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

I remember a school trip in the junior school.When we sat down for our packed lunch,us council house kids got out our spam and corned beef sarnies.The one "rich kid" produced a chicken.We all sat there drooling,his old man had a betting shop I think.

I used to have salmon sandwiches as a council house kid. My dad and I caught salmon on the Tay regularly, also other rivers for fresh rainbow trout etc.

Have been known to have game sandwiches as well. Low flyer on a sandwich is really very nice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I used to have salmon sandwiches as a council house kid. My dad and I caught salmon on the Tay regularly, also other rivers for fresh rainbow trout etc.

Have been known to have game sandwiches as well. Low flyer on a sandwich is really very nice.

Evening Eglesbrech, it's nice to hear from you again. I hope you're feeling  better now as the last time we 'spoke' you were rather ill, and I was a little concerned when you suddenly stopped posting.

Avril

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Evening Eglesbrech, it's nice to hear from you again. I hope you're feeling  better now as the last time we 'spoke' you were rather ill, and I was a little concerned when you suddenly stopped posting.

Avril

+1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Thanks for your concern. Have had a really bad fortnight and am just getting back to some semblance of normality. Went into a chest infection and was really struggling a for a bit.

The stopping posting was more to do with being unable to log in properly here for several days.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Thanks for your concern. Have had a really bad fortnight and am just getting back to some semblance of normality. Went into a chest infection and was really struggling a for a bit.

The stopping posting was more to do with being unable to log in properly here for several days.

Glad you are feeling better. I had some issues logging recently too, it seemed to clear itself after a few days 

Michelle

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I'm glad you're much better now. One or two of us have had  problems with the website recently, but it soon sorts itself out.

Avril

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm glad you're much better now. One or two of us have had  problems with the website recently, but it soon sorts itself out.

Avril

I have certainly had problems posting recently. Seems OK for now but who knows for how long?

51 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

When I try to reply I am sometimes getting the whole thread as a quote rather than just the person I want to quote so don’t post.

Technology is fine when it works.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

When I try to reply I am sometimes getting the whole thread as a quote rather than just the person I want to quote so don’t post.

Technology is fine when it works.

I have had similar weird experiences recently, posts not showing a submit button, multiple quotes popping up suddenly, and then booting me out for no good reason.

4 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I'm going up to Lincolnshire tomorrow to visit my daughter.  We haven't seen each other since Covid  as it was too risky due to health conditions.

We are all excited.   She says she's got the wine in!! 😃🍹

Welcome to Lincolnshire ! If you need any help getting rid of the wine, you know where to find me !

• Haha 3

I think we would have a great time Wowzz🤣

They live not far from Boston but we are staying in their log cabin near Louth I think it is.  One of their in law relatives is celebrating a birthday with a hotel Sunday roast.  When she explained we were going up they very kindly invited us too.  We don't know them so it was very kind of them.

It should be a good weekend

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I think we would have a great time Wowzz🤣

They live not far from Boston but we are staying in their log cabin near Louth I think it is.  One of their in law relatives is celebrating a birthday with a hotel Sunday roast.  When she explained we were going up they very kindly invited us too.  We don't know them so it was very kind of them.

It should be a good weekend

Sounds good - Louth is a nice market town, and the Wolds are beautiful. Enjoy your weekend.

• Like 1