P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Well it’s been a hectic day today , well really been a hectic two weeks since MIL died lots of planing etc , but today was extra busy welcoming people arriving from Scotland at different times of the day and getting them booked into the hotels I booked for them I’ve only just stopped now to come to bed to relax, making last minute decisions for printers for the service tomorrow and corrections , so funeral tomorrow morning , organised all 21pick ups and transportation to lunch after ,  because Scottish people have a sit down hot meal for funerals , dad is of to fuerteventura for 4 weeks on Monday to stay and basically stay there for all the cold winter back here and to take pressure of us now , I think we will be a little bit lost now with out them both , been looking after them for 23 years down here in south but major looking after them for past 10 years, , my husband says we’re have our ( breakdown melt )next week when they are all gone and it’s just us to grieve and get on with clearing their flat and belongings, but time will tell , looking on the bright side dad will be in constant company now in hot sunny climate watching football and horse racing 🤦‍♀️and his daughter keeping a eye on him , a long awaited rest for us sort off but still lots to do , good night everyone, have a lovely day tomorrow and enjoy what the sun brings you 😎

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Well it’s been a hectic day today , well really been a hectic two weeks since MIL died lots of planing etc , but today was extra busy welcoming people arriving from Scotland at different times of the day and getting them booked into the hotels I booked for them I’ve only just stopped now to come to bed to relax, making last minute decisions for printers for the service tomorrow and corrections , so funeral tomorrow morning , organised all 21pick ups and transportation to lunch after ,  because Scottish people have a sit down hot meal for funerals , dad is of to fuerteventura for 4 weeks on Monday to stay and basically stay there for all the cold winter back here and to take pressure of us now , I think we will be a little bit lost now with out them both , been looking after them for 23 years down here in south but major looking after them for past 10 years, , my husband says we’re have our ( breakdown melt )next week when they are all gone and it’s just us to grieve and get on with clearing their flat and belongings, but time will tell , looking on the bright side dad will be in constant company now in hot sunny climate watching football and horse racing 🤦‍♀️and his daughter keeping a eye on him , a long awaited rest for us sort off but still lots to do , good night everyone, have a lovely day tomorrow and enjoy what the sun brings you 😎

You must be exhausted. It will all have been so busy and you are right, you’ll only have the luxury of time to grieve properly once that is all over. 

Being a carer is not easy and there is a big gap once you no longer have the responsibility. Take time for yourself now.

Hope all goes well tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I used to have salmon sandwiches as a council house kid. My dad and I caught salmon on the Tay regularly, also other rivers for fresh rainbow trout etc.

Have been known to have game sandwiches as well. Low flyer on a sandwich is really very nice.

Welcome back.We only had salmon for Sunday tea.How did you catch the tins from the bottom of the river?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Hope all goes well tomorrow. Been a carer and the responsibility it holds are vastly under rated, you have done fantastic.

Try enjoy a few less hectic weeks just the two of you. 
Take care 

Michelle 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just heard that the Brit lady with covid has been let out of hospital.She got pneumonia and was on oxygen,but even though still positive,guys in spacesuits dropped her off at her apartment in an ambulance.At least she can eat her own food after losing a stone in hospital.Still lucky for a 77 year old,if she wasn't double jabbed she'd be dead.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Thinking of you today.x

Avril

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

I hope everything runs smoothly for you today Sandra.

Once everything is over a nice cruise will be just what you need 

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Hope all goes well tomorrow. Been a carer and the responsibility it holds are vastly under rated, you have done fantastic.

Try enjoy a few less hectic weeks just the two of you. 
Take care 

Michelle 

I agree Michelle.

We had 4 years caring for Pauline's late mam who had dementia and in bed most of the time after fracturing her hip after a fall.

Her brother lived with his mam and gave 24 hour care and we did around 8 hours a day.

The sad thing is when other family refuse to help then are the first ones to be shouting about their inheritance money when that person dies.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

11 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Hoping everything goes ok today…….x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I agree Michelle.

We had 4 years caring for Pauline's late mam who had dementia and in bed most of the time after fracturing her hip after a fall.

Her brother lived with his mam and gave 24 hour care and we did around 8 hours a day.

The sad thing is when other family refuse to help then are the first ones to be shouting about their inheritance money when that person dies.

Graham.

My mum has just started needing more help doing things for her. She has Macular Degeneration and it has got significantly worse over the last few months. I have just got her an appointment at our Low Vision Centre for an assessment on Tuesday. She is not too happy about it but they might be able to offer us some help and advice. 
It’s difficult as I am an only child so no-one else to help and have MS myself and having a bit of a “blip” myself at the moment. Grandchildren are over an hour away so a lot is falling on my hubby at the moment who is still working. Even the dog is not well, he is at the vets today as well. 
Anyway that’s enough of me moaning!! The weather is nice here today which is always a big plus

Take Care everyone and stay safe

Michelle

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

My mum has just started needing more help doing things for her. She has Macular Degeneration and it has got significantly worse over the last few months. I have just got her an appointment at our Low Vision Centre for an assessment on Tuesday. She is not too happy about it but they might be able to offer us some help and advice. 
It’s difficult as I am an only child so no-one else to help and have MS myself and having a bit of a “blip” myself at the moment. Grandchildren are over an hour away so a lot is falling on my hubby at the moment who is still working. Even the dog is not well, he is at the vets today as well. 
Anyway that’s enough of me moaning!! The weather is nice here today which is always a big plus

Take Care everyone and stay safe

Michelle

Sorry to hear you are not your usual cheery self and feeling poorly Michelle.

Hopefully on Tuesday you might get some help and advice for your mam who you obviously love and care for her dearly.

Pauline cries every day for her mam and it will be 3 years on October 18th 2018 aged almost 97 when her mam died.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sorry to hear you are not your usual cheery self and feeling poorly Michelle.

Hopefully on Tuesday you might get some help and advice for your mam who you obviously love and care for her dearly.

Pauline cries every day for her mam and it will be 3 years on October 18th 2018 aged almost 97 when her mam died.

Take care.

Graham.

Thanks Graham. Sorry to hear about Pauline’s mum, 97 is an amazing age

Michelle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Beckett said:

Everything you say is spot-on Harry and thanks for your recognition of the realities we are all trying (battling) to contend with.

I hadn't seen the link you kindly sent me but I've now read it through and found it very interesting - but frustrating in equal measure that we can't just get on with it. In my opinion involving Consultants at such a late stage was a huge error. Hospitals are notoriously slow at information sharing and my question is why can't we just vaccinate the people we know about now and add the Consultant referrals later. It's a logistical and bureaucratic nightmare Harry. 

It's no wonder GPs are retiring and leaving in their droves. I think the media misrepresentation of what is happening in GP surgeries is so unfair and just not true in the vast majority of practices. We saw patients face-to-face right through the pandemic if it was necessary. Sadly it was the unnecessary that hit, and still hits, the headlines - and people believe every word they read. I could go on but I know I'm preaching to the converted in you Harry so I'll just thank you for your understanding and promise to let you know what I can.

Best wishes. Jane.x 

Hi Jane,

Just out of interest, I happened on these directives this morning, both dated 30 September - one to GPs and one to NHS Trust Chief Executives and Medical Directors.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2021/09/C1427-covid-19-vacc-assuring-implementation-of-jcvi-guidance-vaccinating-severely-immunosuppressed-individuals.pdf

https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2021/09/C1428-covid-19-vacc-assuring-implementation-of-jcvi-guidance-vaccinating-immunosuppressed-individuals-third-pr.pdf

Both make it very clear that those patients affected must have been actually offered a vaccine by 11 October  -  they also make it plain though that at 30 September GPs still hadn't been provided with the information needed to do the job!  There's a lot of back covering going on here!

Harry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Today has been made better by the announcement that those in the Novavax Covid vaccine trial who received the Novavax vaccine can safely receive two doses of the approved Pfizer vaccine. Novavax does not have official approval for use in UK yet but those who received two doses of it in the trial  are considered vaccinated for domestic purposes. Not so for international travel hence the good news that when they have received the two doses of Pfizer, they will be able to travel beyond these shores. Wouldn’t help with the cruise we had booked for the end of November (which we have already transferred) but it does remove uncertainty for our cruise in March / April.

• Like 5

Thank you everyone for your well wishes, today went well all the planning came together and it was a lovely funeral, very emotional for everyone but the most lovely thing at the end of the funeral everyone sang the last song while exiting the chapel a up lift time for all and her favourite song sweet Caroline 🥲

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Thank you everyone for your well wishes, today went well all the planning came together and it was a lovely funeral, very emotional for everyone but the most lovely thing at the end of the funeral everyone sang the last song while exiting the chapel a up lift time for all and her favourite song sweet Caroline 🥲

I'm pleased all went well Sandra, you've worked hard and now you can take a deep breath and relax. Funerals are changing now, no longer the gloomy mourning, but a celebration of the life they had, similar to those in New Orleans. My sister actually left instructions for her funeral. No-one was to wear black, bright colours only, and we released loads of coloured balloons at the 'party' afterwards. It felt very disrespectful at the time, but it was what she wanted.

Avril

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm pleased all went well Sandra, you've worked hard and now you can take a deep breath and relax. Funerals are changing now, no longer the gloomy mourning, but a celebration of the life they had, similar to those in New Orleans. My sister actually left instructions for her funeral. No-one was to wear black, bright colours only, and we released loads of coloured balloons at the 'party' afterwards. It felt very disrespectful at the time, but it was what she wanted.

Avril

We went to a family funeral on Thursday at  Chesterfield crem. The local vicar was very modern and amusing, most people were dressed in bright colours as that is what auntie wanted. It was an enjoyable occasion to celebrate the life of a family member. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea but everyone we spoke to enjoyed it as far as a funeral can be enjoyed.

• Like 3

I am interested to see that I am living in the edge. Sadly not of something exciting but of a weather system. No fog here along the the bit of the coast in North Norfolk where I live but alleged much elsewhere. So I have whipped my lazy backside into gear and done another few feet of planting, membrane and gravel. I need a lie down down prior to the days greatest excitement getting the flu jab.