P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

10 hours ago, July morning said:

I live about 30 minutes from them,  we go there for a walk sometimes. The Kelpies have lights inside of them and they change colour very striking when it's dark 🙂

We missed out on seeing them at night 😟 you are lucky to have two such good places to visit on your doorstep.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kalos said:

Sometimes but mum wanted a big tin of Carnation milk ,that way they could have

a creamy tea or coffee with any leftover 

We always had a tinned salmon salad for our Sunday tea.Followed by tinned fruit in syrup and carnation milk.Hate syrup now but didn't know any different then.Never used the posh word lunch,always dinner then tea.That's why I always call it Christmas dinner even though it's served no later than 4pm.Back in the day I never heard of high tea or supper.

• Like 5

On 9/21/2024 at 2:27 PM, Snow Hill said:

It has been a warm and sunny morning here last lot of post holiday washing washed & dried, I have been doing some deadheading and pruning and clearing moss off top patio in readiness for jet washing when we get another dry spell.

Picked some more tomatoes and sweet peppers from greenhouse, pulled a couple of beetroot for boiling. 

Sky has gone dark, so guess rain is on its way.

I think you said you're a Wolves supporter.I'll sell you back your old manager for 2 beetroots.Or VNO perhaps 1.

• Haha 2

Morning all,

A dull, damp, drizzly day again here and still mild.

Why do things start to play up at night time? Got into bed last night and the smoke alarm decided to start beeping as the battery is getting low. Of course we didn't have the right size battery, so it's been beeping all night. We were hoping for a good night's sleep last night as we won't get much, if any, tonight as we are travelling up to Gatwick. Typical!

Today's agenda is a trip to the shops, batteries on the top of the list, and finish the packing.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

We always had a tinned salmon salad for our Sunday tea.Followed by tinned fruit in syrup and carnation milk.Hate syrup now but didn't know any different then.Never used the posh word lunch,always dinner then tea.That's why I always call it Christmas dinner even though it's served no later than 4pm.Back in the day I never heard of high tea or supper.

My mother used to add breadcrumbs to the salmon make it go further ...there were 5 of us and yes tinned salmon ...had to be red...only served at Sunday tea...never ever during the week

• Like 3

I think Christmas Dinner is always called that, regardless of when it is eaten.  I know lots of people have it early afternoon; I have always preferred to have it in the evening, say 6 or 6.30.  But suspect my family are in the minority.  Often enjoy Boxing Day more, with cold bird and some of the extras, but hot roasteds of course.  Much easier on the cook.

• Like 2

We always had tinned salmon for tea on Sundays too which is probably why I don't buy it now.  I buy fresh salmon now and grill it to have with either salad or potatoes and vegetables.

We have Christmas Dinner at lunchtime on Christmas Day.

Boxing Day is a lazy day for me since I stopped having family around and I refuse all invitations to go to visit either DH's or my siblings.  There are only 2 of us to cook for so it is leftovers from Christmas Day and then lazing in front of the TV and eating chocolates etc.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, brian1 said:

Love this post. Yip Sunday dinner and had me tea about 5pmish. Yes the tinned fruit and carnation cream. On a good day it was something like a thick white tinned cream beginning with an I. Then we had a special treat ... French Fancies by Kiplings!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We always had tinned salmon for tea on Sundays too which is probably why I don't buy it now.  I buy fresh salmon now and grill it to have with either salad or potatoes and vegetables.

We have Christmas Dinner at lunchtime on Christmas Day.

Boxing Day is a lazy day for me since I stopped having family around and I refuse all invitations to go to visit either DH's or my siblings.  There are only 2 of us to cook for so it is leftovers from Christmas Day and then lazing in front of the TV and eating chocolates etc.

Red salmon or pink ! When we got red salmon mum.said we were yuppies. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Love this post. Yip Sunday dinner and had me tea about 5pmish. Yes the tinned fruit and carnation cream. On a good day it was something like a thick white tinned cream beginning with an I. Then we had a special treat ... French Fancies by Kiplings!

Yeah,but we're posh now.We have our lunch at 12ish and dinner between 7 and 8,lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, lincslady said:

'snap' was known as 'baggin' in Cheshire in my youth.  I bet there were quite a few names for the midday  meal taken to work in the old days; maybe they are still used.

In Derbyshire it would be ‘pack up’ 

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Morning all.  It’s a dark, grey morning - but dry, so we’ll be grateful for small mercies.  I hope everyone has come through the awful rain unscathed.

Does this ever happen to you?CB776AD3-BB8B-4DF1-B217-759AFEB25448.thumb.jpeg.974b94bc7ee72164205caac1e3c6d864.jpeg

Oh yes.  I remember when I first had my hair cut short. I woke up the next morning my hair was flat at the sides and stuck up on top. Frank took one look and said 'flippin' 'eck....a coconut. 

Such an old flatterer that man of mine.

Avril

• Haha 15

Morning ,hope your all ok today.🙂

For some of us ,we reach a certain age and find we have time to stop

and think about things a bit more than we did.

Tucked up in bed as I gazed up at the stars and the moonlight 

I thought to myself .."Where the hell has the roof gone ?"🙃

Three old men are talking about their aches, pains and bodily dysfunctions.

One 75-year-old man says: "I have this problem. I wake up every morning at 7 a.m. and it takes me 20 minutes to pee."

An 80-year-old man says: "My case is worse. I get up at 8 a.m. and I sit there and grunt and groan for half an hour before I finally have a bowel movement."

The 90-year-old man says: "Not me. At 7 a.m. I pee like a horse and at 8 a.m. I crap like a cow."

"So what's your problem?" asked the other two.

" Well ....I don't wake up until 9:00am."🙃😉

Take care and have a good day .😃

• Haha 12

Good morning all.

Another dark, dreary, damp and murky morning here at present..      Both Frank and myself hate this kind of weather as it badly affects our joints and  we're shuffling about like little hunchbacks, despite the pain meds we take. 

I often wonder if all this sport, exercise and keeping fit we both did when we were younger was worth it🤔

In my next life I think I'll be couch potato instead😁

Have a lovely holiday @purplesea

Have a good day everyone whatever you're up to and  wherever you are, land or sea.

Avril 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Me too, Avril.  Recently developed arthritis in both hands (quite lucky not until now) and on damp days the fingers really hurt when trying to do anything.  Especially with the fiendish opening devices on jars, tins, big yogurt cartons etc.  Sometimes even my strong son can't undo jars without the useful little thingy.  

Good to hear from you, you have been rather quiet lately.  

• Like 5