P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I cut the swede into quarters, and then peel each quarter using a heavy duty Le Creuset peeler.

Don't you just love how this thread meanders all over the place!

Last time I tried to cut one, the knife got embedded in the wretched thing and my very fit son-in-law had a job to remove it.

Perhaps our swedes in Norfolk are tougher than the Lincolnshire variety.🙂

• Haha 1

Just now, Bloodaxe said:

Still very sore but happy to be home, he was missing his Cats, I am now released from my Cat feeding duties.

We're all released back into the wild far quicker than used to be the case - in 1970 I was in for a week just for a simple appendectomy, so it's no wonder the poor boy is feeling battered.

I wish him well, and hope he has a good and long-term outcome.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Now there’s the basis for another discussion.  Leaving Scotland aside, as obviously north, where’s the line drawn delineating north and south?

When I used to work all over the country,I was driving to Scotland on the A1,even as far as Yorkshire the sign still said The North,lol.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brian1 said:

When I used to work all over the country,I was driving to Scotland on the A1,even as far as Yorkshire the sign still said The North,lol.

The north is always wherever is north of your own location, but here’s a link to a map drawn up fairly recently based on some sort of research:

https://brilliantmaps.com/england-north-south/

12 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The north is always wherever is north of your own location, but here’s a link to a map drawn up fairly recently based on some sort of research:

As a proud Midlander, (but with Northward leanings), I can’t help but notice the absence of the Midlands on this map. Typical!!! 🥴

Perhaps it is time for independence for the Midlands. 😊

Edited by pete14
  • Like 2

Looks like we're going into lockdown here in West Lancashire from next Tuesday not that it'll affect me much at all as I've been working from home since March and have barely left the house.

I am worried about my daughter though as she's due to start back at university in a couple of weeks and due to the degree she's doing there is a large element of practical work to be done which is timetabled to be on university premises.

22 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That map includes Birmingham being up North.Personally I'd draw a line straight across the country from Leicester.Derby and Nottingham just North of Leicester I'd class as North.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pete14 said:

As a proud Midlander, (but with Northward leanings), I can’t help but notice the absence of the Midlands on this map. Typical!!! 🥴

The map, described as a cultural map, shows a line broadly speaking from Bristol to Cleethorpes.  

Probably, Wowzz, Papa’s is just about on the border, but it does fry in beef dripping and serve mostly haddock (quite correctly of course) so that makes it very plainly north.  Were it to serve jellied eels and whelks, however (and we all know who, famously, isn’t allegedly capable of running one) .............

As for the Midlands, that’s another arguing point. Another area of dispute. Such a varied area too. Whatever happened to Cradley Heath, and its dog track?

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

You can't get much further away, I have heard it said that Chesterfield is in the geographical center of England.

My Grandson was home from hospital yesterday, off to see him this afternoon, obviously keeping our distance

Glad to hear that your grandson is out of hospital.I hope he continues to improve.

As for Chesterfield being possibly the geographical centre of England, we moved here from Ashby de la Zouch also known for its distance from the sea hence the song 'Ashby de la Zouch by the sea'

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

Plus Southampton Cake does not have the same ring to it as does Madeira :classic_unsure:

Anyone for a nice glass of Southampton ?? :classic_wacko:

Would you ask for a glass of Madeira in a Northern working mans club.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Now there’s the basis for another discussion.  Leaving Scotland aside, as obviously north, where’s the line drawn delineating north and south?

Locally, there is some discussion whether Chesterfield is in the North or Midlands.To confuse things further some households receive the local 'Look North' news whereas others receive 'Central Today'.

13 minutes ago, pete14 said:

As a proud Midlander Pete,  Who comes bearing such gifts as Melton -pork pies ,Burton upon Trent ale ,Oat cakes 

and other such wonderful goodies, would like to move "The Midlands" a bit nearer to South Yorkshire .

It would be handy for you popping in for a nice cup of Yorkshire tea. You would be most welcome .:classic_smile:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Glad to hear that your grandson is out of hospital.I hope he continues to improve.

As for Chesterfield being possibly the geographical centre of England, we moved here from Ashby de la Zouch also known for its distance from the sea hence the song 'Ashby de la Zouch by the sea'

I was in digs for 6 months in Ashby whilst working in Appleby, building a hotel.Unusual place being on the border of at least 5 counties.The pub I stayed in had a mixture of accents.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pete14 said:

You obviously didn't read the text Pete, apparently the midlands just adds confusion to the line between the north and south.

Anyway the map should please wowzz since Lincolnshire is now in the South.

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Watford Gap

You can't get much further away, I have heard it said that Chesterfield is in the geographical center of England.

My Grandson was home from hospital yesterday, off to see him this afternoon, obviously keeping our distance

Nice that your grandson is home, we tend to recover a lot better in our own surroundings. I hope he'll soon be back to school and enjoying time with his friends again. Socially distanced of course😊

Didn't the Ordnance Survey calculate the centre of England somewhere in Leicestershire a few years ago?

Avril

• Like 1