P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

46 minutes ago, tring said:

I totally agree and also think we are becoming a two class society because of it.  We are in a vulnerable group and realise we just need to be very careful over the winter, whilst letting others get on with life and do not need to be told to do so now.  I had a referral about 3 weeks ago - not on a very urgent cancer list, but investigations are needed.  Under the NHS it did not seem likely I would even get a first apt for many months, yet it is early stage illness that could benefit more from treatment, if needed.  We have decided to spend our holiday money from this year, (and possibly more), on private health care for the matter.  Those of us who cruise a couple of times a year can likely afford cash for that, even if we are not what we think of as that well off - a very good spend of our savings in our view though.  Many could not consider it at all and there will be a lot of suffering/deaths because of it.

My husband had a retinal tear during the lockdown and had very prompt treatment, both from a local opticians and the local eye department, with a number of regular follow up checks.  So at least really urgent matters like that are being dealt with, but even things like delays of replacement joints are a big problem and will produce a lot of people who loose mobility longer term as they become less active so that other parts of the body cease up as well, along with mental health effects on many people of course.

Good luck and hopefully by getting early treatment it will make a big difference to your health.

Graham.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If you will take your information from the Guardian what else do you expect to read.

Don’t jump to incorrect conclusions, John. My information comes direct from friends and relatives working within the NHS. Some as nurses, some as doctors, and some as administrators. All have a role to play, as do all the invaluable support staff.

Empty promises and praise from hypocritical politicians doesn’t help - though it does sometimes deceive Joe Public.

18 minutes ago, zap99 said:

DW needs to have an ultrasound due to a frozen shoulder. The Doc sent an email to the hospital  in Tuesday. We phoned yesterday to make an appointment. " When would you like to come?"". I guess a good number of folks aren't going.

After my initial GP appointment, I was in fact sent for a pelvic ultra sound, hip X ray and numerous blood tests (to assess the cause of my symptoms).  They could all be requested by my GP, all of which were done within a fortnight.  It is the hospital referral that was needed as a result of the pelvic scan that was to be the big wait and it was looking like that could be something like a year's time under the circumstances.

23 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

GP services are there if you need them but not so for dentists. The only thing offered on the NHS is an extraction, however if you can pay for it you can have the full range of treatment. They charge a fee for the PPE and for a deep clean of the room if the treatment is aresol generating, starts at £100 before they even look at a tooth!

Lots of people in pain losing teeth unnecessarily. I feel particularly sorry for those on low incomes who have to choose between Long term pain, taking multiple antibiotics for abscess or losing healthy and Fully treatable teeth.

My friend has had some terrible problems with her teeth recently and her NHS dentist wouldn’t help.So she had to go private. She spent £2000 and said it was worth it to be pain free, but if she hadn’t been able to pay, she’d still have been suffering 

• Like 2

Just now, Dermotsgirl said:

My friend has had some terrible problems with her teeth recently and her NHS dentist wouldn’t help.So she had to go private. She spent £2000 and said it was worth it to be pain free, but if she hadn’t been able to pay, she’d still have been suffering 

Yes it has very quickly become a 2 tier system for the haves and the have nots. What worries me is that it will stay that way.

I have paid privately for a long time as I don’t want silver fillings or an extraction when a root canal treatment and crown would be better. I know I am lucky to have that choice. 

While I don’t think the NHS should pay for consmetic items it should not be leaving people in pain and right now that is what is happening to many people who can’t aford the high fees.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

GP services are there if you need them but not so for dentists. The only thing offered on the NHS is an extraction, however if you can pay for it you can have the full range of treatment. They charge a fee for the PPE and for a deep clean of the room if the treatment is aresol generating, starts at £100 before they even look at a tooth!

Lots of people in pain losing teeth unnecessarily. I feel particularly sorry for those on low incomes who have to choose between Long term pain, taking multiple antibiotics for abscess or losing healthy and Fully treatable teeth.

Our dentist is doing essential dental work. Fillings, extractions, etc. The usual checkups, cleaning or cosmetic work is not being done though, which is only to be expected. So far I've only missed one checkup so all's well for now. Having read the last posts I will add that my dentist does both NHS and private. I have NHS but still have pay for  my treatment. 

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
added text

36 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes it has very quickly become a 2 tier system for the haves and the have nots. What worries me is that it will stay that way.

I have paid privately for a long time as I don’t want silver fillings or an extraction when a root canal treatment and crown would be better. I know I am lucky to have that choice. 

While I don’t think the NHS should pay for consmetic items it should not be leaving people in pain and right now that is what is happening to many people who can’t aford the high fees.

I dread to think how much private costs are. Even though I have NHS but pay towards treatment the cost of my post crown was £200. I don't know if it's different in Scotland, but even if you have free dental treatment here they do root canals , crowns and white fillings. None of that is classrd as 'cosmetic'. They still have a choice.

Avril

Sat waiting for my appointment. Utterly bored and really hate this mask. 

they are doing temperature checks and questions. Which aren’t an issue. But my appointment was at 3.10 and I haven’t even had that done yet and I would really prefer to be at home on the sofa. 
wondering if they have missed me as others that came after have already gone in 

1 minute ago, Vampiress88 said:

they are doing temperature checks and questions. Which aren’t an issue. But my appointment was at 3.10 and I haven’t even had that done yet and I would really prefer to be at home on the sofa. 

My mum had a 9:30 appointment this week. Got seen at 11:40. Long time to keep a 94 year old waiting!

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I dread to think how much private costs are. Even though I have NHS but pay towards treatment the cost of my post crown was £200. I don't know if it's different in Scotland, but even if you have free dental treatment here they do root canals , crowns and white fillings. None of that is classrd as 'cosmetic'. They still have a choice.

Avril

Porcelean Crowns, bridge work etc are seen as “cosmetic” as are white filling so a silver filling would be say £20 the last white one I had was £120.

I think children might get basic crowns but adults don’t, again cosmetic.

Basically the NHS does anything to relive pain and provide a reasonable replacement eg silver fillings. Anything else is at a cost. The problem is that they can “relive pain” by extracting a tooth which could be fixed.

We also pay for basic check ups, polish and scale even on NHS (adults) but it’s only a small fee, last time about £12.

We get “free” (paid for by all the extra tax we pay above the national rate) prescriptions here but pay a lot for dental work and glasses etc. Most of the extra tax goes to university fees!

3 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Go to the reception and ask Vamps and make them aware it was 3.10pm .

I went for a scan last year 8.30am and at 9.40 I asked only to find they had forgot to take my file through :classic_sad:

Maybe they are just running late, better to ask :classic_wink:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

My mum had a 9:30 appointment this week. Got seen at 11:40. Long time to keep a 94 year old waiting!

aww bless her. Bet she had nothing to do either. I’ve got my phone but I’m losing battery faster than usual it would seem. 

7 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

It wouldn't hurt to ask someone. Just explain that you're an hour past your appointment time and is there a problem?

Avril

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

My wife rang our NHS dentist about 3 chipped or cracked teeth, which she advised were not causing her any pain. They fitted her in within the week and she had all 3 filled last week.

Obviously  it depends on your area.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Porcelean Crowns, bridge work etc are seen as “cosmetic” as are white filling so a silver filling would be say £20 the last white one I had was £120.

I think children might get basic crowns but adults don’t, again cosmetic.

Basically the NHS does anything to relive pain and provide a reasonable replacement eg silver fillings. Anything else is at a cost. The problem is that they can “relive pain” by extracting a tooth which could be fixed.

We also pay for basic check ups, polish and scale even on NHS (adults) but it’s only a small fee, last time about £12.

We get “free” (paid for by all the extra tax we pay above the national rate) prescriptions here but pay a lot for dental work and glasses etc. Most of the extra tax goes to university fees!

It's totally different here. My eldest daughter who claims disability has recently had some bridgework done and didn't have to pay for it as she qualifies for free dental. Basically, if you can't/don't work or claim any other goverment subsidies, then you have free dental, including check ups. Pensioners who claim pension credit also have free dental. Everyone else pays towards their dental work.

Avril

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It's totally different here. My eldest daughter who claims disability has recently had some bridgework done and didn't have to pay for it as she qualifies for free dental. Basically, if you can't/don't work or claim any other goverment subsidies, then you have free dental, including check ups. Pensioners who claim pension credit also have free dental. Everyone else pays towards their dental work.

Avril

It may be the same here for disability or folks on qualifying benefits. I only know that I and everyone I know has to pay but we all work or have good pensions.

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

It may be the same here for disability or folks on qualifying benefits. I only know that I and everyone I know has to pay but we all work or have good pensions.

We pay for ours too, though not private prices thank goodness.

Avril

2 hours ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

My GP is doing the same. An initial telephone consult and then a face to face appointment if required.

My Wife has been suffering with a knee problem that started just before the lockdown.

After a consultation with our practice nurse she was told to keep on taking the tablets and using gel.

We have made contact with the surgery several times since and all that happens is a Doctor rings her to discuss the problem and tells her the same thing.

She has never been examined by a Doctor or even been sent for X ray, we have given up ringing.

She has bought a knee support and it seems that our only other option would be to go to A and E which we are reluctant to do at this time.

Edited by Bloodaxe

7 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

My Wife has been suffering with a knee problem that started just before the lockdown.

After a consultation with our practice nurse she was told to keep on taking the tablets and using gel.

We have made contact with the surgery several times since and all that happens is a Doctor rings her to discuss the problem and tells her the same thing.

She has never been examined by a Doctor or even been sent for X ray, we have given up ringing.

She has bought a knee support and it seems that our only other option would be to go to A and E which we are reluctant to do at their time. 

That is totally wrong. There is no way that a proper diagnosis can be given over the phone for an injury like that.

Have you thought of going to a physio or osteopath ? You would obviously have to pay, but at least you would get a face to face (or knee in this case!) consultation.

23 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

My wife rang our NHS dentist about 3 chipped or cracked teeth, which she advised were not causing her any pain. They fitted her in within the week and she had all 3 filled last week.

Obviously  it depends on your area.

I'm a complete wreck when it comes to dentists, and apart from an extraction in Spain, aided by valium, I haven't really seen a dentist for almost 20 years. When we returned to the UK I did register at the local dentist, but the dentist couldn't even do a quick check, as I kept gagging and coughing.

However, I'm pretty sure that I will need some work done sooner or later.  So, my question  is, has anyone out there had dental work done under sedation? There appears to be two types: gas and air, or intravenous drip. If anyone could give me their experiences I would be extremely grateful.

(And yes, I know I'm an elderly man, and shouldn't be such a wimp!) 

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm a complete wreck when it comes to dentists, and apart from an extraction in Spain, aided by valium, I haven't really seen a dentist for almost 20 years. When we returned to the UK I did register at the local dentist, but the dentist couldn't even do a quick check, as I kept gagging and coughing.

However, I'm pretty sure that I will need some work done sooner or later.  So, my question  is, has anyone out there had dental work done under sedation? There appears to be two types: gas and air, or intravenous drip. If anyone could give me their experiences I would be extremely grateful.

General anaesthetic would be an absolute last resort because of the risks it always carries, but have you seen this:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/fear-of-the-dentist-help/

36 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Your GP should be able to help you, they can easily and legitimately prescribe 2mg of diazepam (Valium) for dental work, it’s not uncommon. You just take the tablet slightly in advance of the visit (let your dentist know so they make sure you are seen on time).

You would not be the first or the last person to need minor sedation.

I had an impacted wisdom tooth, which had been causing problems on & off for over a year, and which completely spoilt a one week cruise (my only visit to the ship’s doctor, ever) extracted under sedation.  It was at the local minor oral surgery centre, which is simply part of one of the surgeries in town.  The head man does some more serious operations at the hospital too.  It was he who did the extraction.  Took about 2 minutes.  I/V Valium or whatever, open wide, local anaesthetic injected liberally (but I didn’t feel it), then a push-pull feeling, then “OK - all done” 😳

You’ll need someone to take you home.  That’s it.  Simple as can be

I admit I am pretty stoic at the dentist anyway (close my eyes and transport my mind to a Caribbean beach) but this experience was a total doddle

Go for it.  You’ll feel better.  Good dental health is good for your general health too

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

I had an impacted wisdom tooth, which had been causing problems on & off for over a year, and which completely spoilt a one week cruise (my only visit to the ship’s doctor, ever) extracted under sedation.  It was at the local minor oral surgery centre, which is simply part of one of the surgeries in town.  The head man does some more serious operations at the hospital too.  It was he who did the extraction.  Took about 2 minutes.  I/V Valium or whatever, open wide, local anaesthetic injected liberally (but I didn’t feel it), then a push-pull feeling, then “OK - all done” 😳

You’ll need someone to take you home.  That’s it.  Simple as can be

I admit I am pretty stoic at the dentist anyway (close my eyes and transport my mind to a Caribbean beach) but this experience was a total doddle

Go for it.  You’ll feel better.  Good dental health is good for your general health too

Thanks Eddie.