P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

15 minutes ago, kalos said:

So sorry about your dad mate .Re reading your post which I had laughed at the bedstead and came back 

to find you had edited your post to include your dads accident .

I have removed the post reaction (laughing) off your post as it looked like I was ,er well it just did not look right.

Sorry about that Bazrat ,

Best wishes Kalos :classic_smile:

No problem sorry about the edit 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Sorry to hear about dad.

I had forgotten that fitted carpets were not the norm, linolium with a rug.

Cyril lord was the fitted carpet king in the sixties cheap and not very cheerful 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, kalos said:

Growing up a snack to us could have been ..Dripping,sauce,sugar:classic_ohmy:,pickled beetroot,piccalilli,brown sauce,

bread and butter/stork margarine sarnies. As kids we were not  that fussy what we ate one of my favourites 

on a cold day was a mug of Oxo cube with dry bread to dip in it .

Can you imagine giving our Grandkids these options :classic_ohmy::classic_unsure:

not sure if I’m older than your grandkids but some of those thing you’ve mentioned I definitely would not eat. 

my gran still does the oxo cube thing 🤢 

I remember being given a sugar lump by my great gran once which I thought was super weird. 

and for books, I do love reading but I like vampire/fantasy books but I don’t buy too many at £10 each and only lasting a few days I wait for them to go down in price a little but they are all on kindle cos once I get stuck in I find it hard to put it down. Only proper books are the kids ones. Will be starting roald Dahl collection soon with Scarlett 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I had forgotten that fitted carpets were not the norm, linolium with a rug.

A peg rug too. Cutting up old clothes into strips to make them with. I used to enjoy helping make them and the feel of them under my bare feet.

Avril

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

A peg rug too. Cutting up old clothes into strips to make them with. I used to enjoy helping make them and the feel of them under my bare feet.

Avril

You keep reminding me of anecdotes about my mum and dad. 

Their  hobby, before I came along was rug making. They sent away for rug making kits, and every room in our house had a home made rug. They even made my Nan’s stairs carpet! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

You keep reminding me of anecdotes about my mum and dad. 

Their  hobby, before I came along was rug making. They sent away for rug making kits, and every room in our house had a home made rug. They even made my Nan’s stairs carpet! 

The Rug making kits came along later, I remember having some myself, Readycut  was one  brand.

They came with strips of coloured wool cut to size and patterns printed  on a base.

The peg rugs were made from scratch with old sacking and strips of old clothes has Avril has said.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 2

On 9/14/2020 at 9:15 AM, SarahHben said:

I like similar books to many of you too. Favourite genres are Crime/Thriller but also enjoy lots of the classics. My favourite American authors are Harlan Coben, I met him at a book signing, very nice man, Linwood Barclay, David Baldacci, Jeffery Deaver, Lisa Gardner, Michael Connelly, Jodi Picoult.

Favourite UK Authors are Rachel Abbott, Laura Eliot, CL Taylor, RJ Ellory, who is British but mainly writes American Crime, Mark Edwards, Anne Cleeves,Sebastian Faulks, the list goes on, I just love reading!

I'm currently re-reading The Importance of being Earnest.

I always said I would never get a Kindle, but we were running out of room for more book cases so I relented and now only buy actual books from a few of my favourite authors, the rest I get on Kindle.

Exactly why I love my kindle as we have many bookcases full!

Also easy to read in the sun and easy to ‘pack’ several books for a holiday!

• Like 2

2 of our expat friends have sold up and gave us the pick of their libraries.I,'ve got Jack Reacher books,Tom Clancy,Dan Brown,Patricia Cornwell and the list goes on.I'm normally not into fiction but am now hooked.Back home we use charity shops for books.Last year our daughter paid 20 odd quid for Ant Middleton's latest book,I bought a copy 2 weeks later for 50p in a local charity shop,she was gutted,lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Aah loving all these memories, I always say the best thing my mum and dad gave me was a happy childhood where I felt secure and loved. (And hearing all the Yew tree stuff I was beginning to think I was the only one to enjoy the 70’s 😳)

I don’t remember putting money into the TV but I did notice when my Mum got a part time job when I was 11 (She’d been a stay at home mum til then) we suddenly got our first colour TV and our first phone!

I’m lucky to still have them both although my mum is very frail now. On our Norway cruise I kept thinking how much they would love it but they’re not likely to go now.

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 6

On 9/14/2020 at 9:15 AM, SarahHben said:

I like similar books to many of you too. Favourite genres are Crime/Thriller but also enjoy lots of the classics. My favourite American authors are Harlan Coben, I met him at a book signing, very nice man, Linwood Barclay, David Baldacci, Jeffery Deaver, Lisa Gardner, Michael Connelly, Jodi Picoult.

Favourite UK Authors are Rachel Abbott, Laura Eliot, CL Taylor, RJ Ellory, who is British but mainly writes American Crime, Mark Edwards, Anne Cleeves,Sebastian Faulks, the list goes on, I just love reading!

I'm currently re-reading The Importance of being Earnest.

I always said I would never get a Kindle, but we were running out of room for more book cases so I relented and now only buy actual books from a few of my favourite authors, the rest I get on Kindle.

I enjoy all the US authors you mention but some of the home grown ones are unfamiliar to me so thanks for the suggestions, I'll follow those up. 👍

One I read recently wasn't a crime novel but I see you include Jodi Picoult in your list so you might like a book I read recently, A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles.  Something rather diffeent which i very much enjoyed especially with the historical context. 

One of my all time favourites is the Century Trilogy by Ken Follett.  Hefty tomes (best tackled on your Kindle, especially for holiday packing!) but a great resumé of 20th Century history weaving the story from the perspectives of families from different countries, backgrounds and allegiances. You've perhaps already read them, but if not I could recommend.  (His Middle Ages trilogy is also good with a prequel just being released but the C20th series is my favourite.) 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

I enjoy all the US authors you mention but some of the home grown ones are unfamiliar to me so thanks for the suggestions, I'll follow those up. 👍

One I read recently wasn't a crime novel but I see you include Jodi Picoult in your list so you might like a book I read recently, A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles.  Something rather diffeent which i very much enjoyed especially with the historical context. 

One of my all time favourites is the Century Trilogy by Ken Follett.  Hefty tomes (best tackled on your Kindle, especially for holiday packing!) but a great resumé of 20th Century history weaving the story from the perspectives of families from different countries, backgrounds and allegiances. You've perhaps already read them, but if not I could recommend.  (His Middle Ages trilogy is also good with a prequel just being released but the C20th series is my favourite.) 

I've just looked up A Gentleman in Moscow and I do think it's something I'd like so I've put it on my 'to read' list, thank you for the recommendation.

I already have the Ken Follett Century Trilogy on my kindle, just haven't read any of them yet. I also have quite a few Bernard Cornwell ones to read and re-read too.

I read most things really other than sci-fi/fantasy. My problem is that I have middle-aged lady brain, I can read a book and get almost to the end before realising I've read it before 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I remember those Readicut rug kits too.  Different times - fitted carpets were very unusal then.

Knitting machines were all the rage too - Knitmaster was the big brand.  Remember those?

My husband has vivid childhood memories of knitting machines. He says when he got home from school his heart would sink if his mum had her knitting machine out because it inevitably meant dinner would be very very late!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

My husband has vivid childhood memories of knitting machines. He says when he got home from school his heart would sink if his mum had her knitting machine out because it inevitably meant dinner would be very very late!

As a kid a mate's  mother had one of those knitting contraptions .

You could not swing a cat in their living room when she was using it .

He used to say " All me mam needs is a cape on her back and she could pass as Rick Wakeman." :classic_unsure::classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Best not to give her the needle though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Aah loving all these memories, I always say the best thing my mum and dad gave me was a happy childhood where I felt secure and loved. (And hearing all the Yew tree stuff I was beginning to think I was the only one to enjoy the 70’s 😳)

I don’t remember putting money into the TV but I did notice when my Mum got a part time job when I was 11 (She’d been a stay at home mum til then) we suddenly got our first colour TV and our first phone!

I’m lucky to still have them both although my mum is very frail now. On our Norway cruise I kept thinking how much they would love it but they’re not likely to go now.

We had a phone but it was out in the hallway on a “phone table” which had a shelf for the book and yellow pages. There was also a box as we were one of the few with a phone and neighbours would make a call and leave 2p. 

We at least had a single line. My husband had a party line and remembers other cutting into a conversation to tell him he had been on too long and they wanted to make a call.

I clearly remember our first colour TV.

I think I have lived through an age of real change from bacolite phones, through a mobile which was the size of brick to the mini computers we all now carry around.

Now here is another memory, huge camera and pit needed a flash bulb to take pictures in dull light and they literally went bang.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

My mum had a knitting machine too, they were noisy! my dad made her a smart desk for her later sewing machine where it swung in underneath to store away. In the door were ‘sticks’ to put all the thread on!

Knits from a knitting machine were frowned on in our area. Things were hand knitted and there was great pride in the intricate patterns people made, there were competitions and displays of Arron, Fair Isle etc jumpers.

I was / am a social disgrace because I can’t knit!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

We had a phone but it was out in the hallway on a “phone table” which had a shelf for the book and yellow pages. There was also a box as we were one of the few with a phone and neighbours would make a call and leave 2p. 

We at least had a single line. My husband had a party line and remembers other cutting into a conversation to tell him he had been on too long and they wanted to make a call.

I clearly remember our first colour TV.

I think I have lived through an age of real change from bacolite phones, through a mobile which was the size of brick to the mini computers we all now carry around.

Now here is another memory, huge camera and pit needed a flash bulb to take pictures in dull light and they literally went bang.

A phone table - how posh 😁 we only had a shelf! I wanted one of those with a seat!😂 Instead we used to sit on the chairs to chat!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

A phone table - how posh 😁 we only had a shelf! I wanted one of those with a seat!😂 Instead we used to sit on the chairs to chat!

You're lucky I had one of those big red iron boxes 200 yards up the road.

• Haha 1