P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You obviously didn't read the text Pete, apparently the midlands just adds confusion to the line between the north and south.

Anyway the map should please wowzz since Lincolnshire is now in the South.

The 2 blokes I worked with would dispute that,they lived in Gainsboro where Wowzz lives.They described it as a wild west town,lol.

24 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Looks like we're going into lockdown here in West Lancashire from next Tuesday not that it'll affect me much at all as I've been working from home since March and have barely left the house.

I am worried about my daughter though as she's due to start back at university in a couple of weeks and due to the degree she's doing there is a large element of practical work to be done which is timetabled to be on university premises.

It's never ending isn't it? This virus seems to have morphed into 'Whack-A-Mole'. Knock it down in one area and it pops up somewhere else. I've been watching our numbers closely recently. We've been on and off the government's watch list a few times now.  I know it won't be easy, but try not worry too much about your daughter, I'm sure her Uni will have all the safety protocols firmly in place for when she starts.

Avril

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

You can't get much further away, I have heard it said that Chesterfield is in the geographical center of England.

My Grandson was home from hospital yesterday, off to see him this afternoon, obviously keeping our distance

Good news he is home and hopefully fully recovered.

Graham.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Good idea! I usually make mash with half white potatoes and half sweet potatoes

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So did I, and then I found a parsnip and a small turnip lurking in the bottom of the veg basket. I hate waste and so I put them in as well. No more mashed potatoes for us now, mashed roots instead. Tasty😋

Avril

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kalos said:

As a proud Midlander Pete,  Who comes bearing such gifts as Melton -pork pies ,Burton upon Trent ale ,Oat cakes 

and other such wonderful goodies, would like to move "The Midlands" a bit nearer to South Yorkshire .

It would be handy for you popping in for a nice cup of Yorkshire tea. You would be most welcome .:classic_smile:

Oat cakes certainly, lots of small breweries so Burton ale wouldn’t be top of my list and pork pies from the Black Country are better than Melton in my opinion (still Midlands). We have a cupboard full of Yorkshire tea in the absence of any better from the Midlands but thanks for the invite. I did live in Yorkshire for 3 years in the dim and distant.
South Yorkshire is pretty close to the Midlands so could perhaps apply to join us once we get independence.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Oat cakes certainly, lots of small breweries so Burton ale wouldn’t be top of my list and pork pies from the Black Country are better than Melton in my opinion (still Midlands). We have a cupboard full of Yorkshire tea in the absence of any better from the Midlands but thanks for the invite. I did live in Yorkshire for 3 years in the dim and distant.
South Yorkshire is pretty close to the Midlands so could perhaps apply to join us once we get independence.

And without doubt the best Mild in the country. Banks's.  A very much underrated beer.

Mind you,  it was 1/4d a pint when I was a student.......

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It's never ending isn't it? This virus seems to have morphed into 'Whack-A-Mole'. Knock it down in one area and it pops up somewhere else. I've been watching our numbers closely recently. We've been on and off the government's watch list a few times now.  I know it won't be easy, but try not worry too much about your daughter, I'm sure her Uni will have all the safety protocols firmly in place for when she starts.

Avril

Yes her uni have been really good during the pandemic but you can't help worrying can you? To add insult to injury it's her 21st birthday in a few weeks and she's been looking forward to it so much but its become a bit of a damp squib.

1 hour ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Looks like we're going into lockdown here in West Lancashire from next Tuesday not that it'll affect me much at all as I've been working from home since March and have barely left the house.

I am worried about my daughter though as she's due to start back at university in a couple of weeks and due to the degree she's doing there is a large element of practical work to be done which is timetabled to be on university premises.

We will be joining you as well, having escaped briefly leaving Dewsbury and Batley as the only bits of Kirklees still in lockdown. It appears that the whole of Kirklees will be back under tighter restrictions from Tuesday.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Think maybe Dedham or Stoke by Nayland in Essex, then think Ilford.

The north has a lot of variety too.

Totally agree,I didn't say otherwise.I love the Moors,Dales,Peak and Lakes.That's without mentioning the coastline.

18 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Probably wouldn t complain if a piece of Madeira cake was offered??

The only time I ever saw cake in a wmc  was if someone had died/got married or it was Boxing day or 

New Years eve.

In the early years you would ask the barmaid  " Owt to eat love ?" 

She would take a deep breath and say " yeah! Ready salted ,plain, cheese and onion and salt and vinegar or nuts!

What do you want ? " As she slammed your pint down on the bar,looking at you as if you had two heads.

Oh  and God help you if you tried opening eating your crisp during bingo ! :classic_ohmy:

Moving on a year or two some clubs started doing Pie & peas, after bingo of course, as someone's daughter

off the committee had been to college and passed part 1 of a cookery course, meaning she could warm a pie up.

As for Madeira cake ,maybe I saw one once or was it a Dundee cake ? You never seem to remember what it was

with a few pints inside of you . I do remember it was in a Christmas type tin with one slice missing and it being

passed  around the tables but alas with no takers .

Never would I have dared to darken the barmaids bar asking "Do you sell Madeira cake lass ? " Some things are 

just not worth it .

It was bad enough when one of the women wanted a change of drink from a half to something 

exotic like a Babycham or a Snowball. You just knew you were not going to ask for a piece of cake.

They did not do things like that .:classic_unsure: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I suspect Wowzz might dispute that he lives in Gainsborough!

I certainly would.  We live betwixt and between Gainsborough and Lincoln,  and when asked where we live, will answer, near Lincoln. 

Far be it for me to be rude (!), but Gainsborough is pretty uninspiring, to say the least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

As a proud Midlander Pete,  Who comes bearing such gifts as Melton -pork pies ,Burton upon Trent ale ,Oat cakes

Kalos - you missed out Stilton cheese  - can only be produced in a small geographic area, with Melton being roughly in the centre of it. (I ran a small office out of Melton for a few years)

In years gone by the whey was sold to the local pig farmers, hence the development of the pork pie business

• Like 1