P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

My son is a thoughtful lad and has just sent me a photo of the bar where he's watching the football, it's almost empty, everyone is spaced out very well, I can relax now! 

He said where he is in London, near Kings Cross, is a little busier than he was expecting but no where near normal levels of busyness.

Bless him, good lad 😊

• Like 3

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

3rd- 10th is when we are due to go too 😁 Last time I was in North Devon we had a few hours in Westward Ho! and I think I know the apartments you mean, I said to John they looked like a good place to stay! We are hopefully staying in Lynton.

Lynton is lovely, that whole stretch of coastline is.

All being well it will be the 4th time we will have stayed in the Westward Ho! apartment. The bottom photo is the view from the balcony.

I hope we both get to go on our holidays ☺️

HorizonView apartment.jpg

View from HorizonView balcony.jpg

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Hopefully he still had a good day.

Yes he did thanks. I think it did him good to have a touch of normality. He's been working at home since March so  it's been a far cry from his usual hustle and bustle of London life.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Yes he did thanks. I think it did him good to have a touch of normality. He's been working at home since March so  it's been a far cry from his usual hustle and bustle of London life.

👍

Edited by grapau27

Went for my birthday meal to a local gastropub tonight. Food was great, as was the service, but the whole experience was slightly clinical.

Not allowed in until our allotted time- we had to wait until exactly 7:30(no idea why as the place was half empty),  temperature check ( OK, good idea), and then shown to a table for two in a large room with no other tables. Just like eating in a corridor. Anyway, we politely asked if any other tables were available,  and got a table in the main restaurant,  with severe social distancing between the tables. So, quite happy,  but obviously not the same buzz that you would normally get on a normal Saturday night. 

Order drinks - the waitress brings them over,  but puts them on the end of the  table. We have to then pick them up. Why? She had already handled the glasses when she poured the drinks , so what's the point?

Same concept when our meals arrived - plates on the end of the table, and we had to pick them up and put them in front of us.

I know and appreciate that we need to be careful these days, but in all seriousness,  if a wait person places a plate in front of you, how likely is it that you will touch that plate yourself whiist eating your meal?

Before anyone tells me off, I know I am playing devil's advocate. The pub in question has gone out if its way to comply with every guide line,  and to exceed every recommendation, so well done.  But, in all honesty, it was overkill.

Somehow we need to strike a happy medium,  and we will continue to patronise our preferred pub that observes the key elements of social distancing, but still feels like a pub!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Went for my birthday meal to a local gastropub tonight. Food was great, as was the service, but the whole experience was slightly clinical.

Not allowed in until our allotted time- we had to wait until exactly 7:30(no idea why as the place was half empty),  temperature check ( OK, good idea), and then shown to a table for two in a large room with no other tables. Just like eating in a corridor. Anyway, we politely asked if any other tables were available,  and got a table in the main restaurant,  with severe social distancing between the tables. So, quite happy,  but obviously not the same buzz that you would normally get on a normal Saturday night. 

Order drinks - the waitress brings them over,  but puts them on the end of the  table. We have to then pick them up. Why? She had already handled the glasses when she poured the drinks , so what's the point?

Same concept when our meals arrived - plates on the end of the table, and we had to pick them up and put them in front of us.

I know and appreciate that we need to be careful these days, but in all seriousness,  if a wait person places a plate in front of you, how likely is it that you will touch that plate yourself whiist eating your meal?

Before anyone tells me off, I know I am playing devil's advocate. The pub in question has gone out if its way to comply with every guide line,  and to exceed every recommendation, so well done.  But, in all honesty, it was overkill.

Somehow we need to strike a happy medium,  and we will continue to patronise our preferred pub that observes the key elements of social distancing, but still feels like a pub!

As you're playing devil's advocate, Wowzz, I'll do the same.  Maybe it's as much for the protection of the waiting staff as the customer's to keep as great a distance as possible, whenever possible?

• Like 7

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Would I rathe take my drink or have a waitress lean over me? 

In our local, the waitress/waiter is not pouring the drinks, so it is one less person to touch the glass. 

These touches make me want to support these places that do make the effort... 

I know it probably makes no difference, but at least they are trying. 

Andy 

Edited by AndyMichelle
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

At least you had an enjoyable time Wowzz,:classic_biggrin:

I just have this vision of you muttering " I don't believe it :classic_unsure: " as you moved your own drink towards yourself.

Not to mention you having to go in at your allotted time.If you went in at another time that would be anytime .

Happy Birthday for the other day Wowzz and may all your birthdays to come be "Freedom dining " :classic_smile:

🎶 One Foot In The Grave 🎶  ...I mean ... 🎶 Happy Birthday To You ! 🎶  :classic_wink::classic_smile::classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

As you're playing devil's advocate, Wowzz, I'll do the same.  Maybe it's as much for the protection of the waiting staff as the customer's to keep as great a distance as possible, whenever possible?

Those were my thoughts too. Social distancing. How's the shoulder this morning?

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
added text

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

No, he is from Kent, obviously a Man Utd fan... 😊

Andy 

Oi! I’m from Kent and a Liverpool fan! To be fair I’ve been loyal to them since the late 70’s so been through many ups and downs! I remember trying to buy a LFC top for my son in the 90’s locally and the guy said they didn’t stock them as they weren’t in this area - I looked at all the Man U shirts on display and declined to ask him if he had any idea where Manchester was!!

• Like 2