P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

On 9/20/2020 at 11:09 AM, P&O SUE said:

Oi! I’m from Kent and a Liverpool fan! To be fair I’ve been loyal to them since the late 70’s so been through many ups and downs! I remember trying to buy a LFC top for my son in the 90’s locally and the guy said they didn’t stock them as they weren’t in this area - I looked at all the Man U shirts on display and declined to ask him if he had any idea where Manchester was!!

I’m also from Kent and have liked Liverpool since the Kevin Keegan years! 

• Like 1

We’ve been out today. We took the train to Birchington, and walked to Margate from there. Half way along there’s a nice cafe where we had coffee, then we had our packed sandwiches when we got to Margate.

We caught the train back from Margate. This is the third train outing we’ve done in the last few weeks and mask compliance has been 100%.

However, today, when I was getting off the train at our stop, the person standing next to me didn’t have a mask on. Before I could stop myself, I said to him ‘forgotten your mask, then’? He was about 17 and looked startled that someone had challenged him, and he looked sheepish, and muttered ‘yes’. I glared at him and said, once again before I could stop myself ‘do me a favour, next time don’t spread all your germs everywhere, and just wear a (expletive deleted) mask. He looked really startled and said ‘yes, ok, I will’, and literally ran off!  I rarely swear, and I’ve been told that I don’t look like a person that swears, so it has a certain shock value. 

I have to say, it felt good to call someone out about not wearing a mask! 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We’ve been out today. We took the train to Birchington, and walked to Margate from there. Half way along there’s a nice cafe where we had coffee, then we had our packed sandwiches when we got to Margate.

We caught the train back from Margate. This is the third train outing we’ve done in the last few weeks and mask compliance has been 100%.

However, today, when I was getting off the train at our stop, the person standing next to me didn’t have a mask on. Before I could stop myself, I said to him ‘forgotten your mask, then’? He was about 17 and looked startled that someone had challenged him, and he looked sheepish, and muttered ‘yes’. I glared at him and said, once again before I could stop myself ‘do me a favour, next time don’t spread all your germs everywhere, and just wear a (expletive deleted) mask. He looked really startled and said ‘yes, ok, I will’, and literally ran off!  I rarely swear, and I’ve been told that I don’t look like a person that swears, so it has a certain shock value. 

Well done I'm really proud of you.

These non mask wearers need to be called out.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Well done I'm really proud of you.

These non mask wearers need to be called out.

Me too Graham , I never knew that Dermotsgirl worked in the Diplomatic Service :classic_unsure::classic_smile:

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

1 of my customers said he told someone he had to wear a mask so the thug went away and threw a brick through the window.

Ah! The Sunderland window cleaning service is alive and well then . :classic_wink:

I would hate to work in a bank these days with all those masks ..

How would you know which one is the bank robber ? :classic_unsure:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

Ah! The Sunderland window cleaning service is alive and well then . :classic_wink:

I would hate to work in a bank these days with all those masks ..

How would you know which one is the bank robber ? :classic_unsure:

Probably the awkward one Not wearing a mask.😂

• Haha 1

My OH has a friend whose girlfriend hugs and kisses everyone, even after their first meeting.  In town we have told her not to hug us, and so have others.  We were in a hotel having our first post lockdown drink when she ran to us and grabbed us.  My OH is a kind and patient man but he had to raise his voice.  I tried to politely to explain to her but she couldn't grasp the danger and trouble the Country was in.

Anyway, we have just heard the worst thing... when she goes out, which is every day to eat,  she borrows a lanyard that announces she has COPD and doesn't wear a mask.   She's as fit as a fiddle and thinks it's quite funny.  Its a danger to us all, and an insult to those with COPD, myself included,  although mildly.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

My OH has a friend whose girlfriend hugs and kisses everyone, even after their first meeting.  In town we have told her not to hug us, and so have others.  We were in a hotel having our first post lockdown drink when she ran to us and grabbed us.  My OH is a kind and patient man but he had to raise his voice.  I tried to politely to explain to her but she couldn't grasp the danger and trouble the Country was in.

Anyway, we have just heard the worst thing... when she goes out, which is every day to eat,  she borrows a lanyard that announces she has COPD and doesn't wear a mask.   She's as fit as a fiddle and thinks it's quite funny.  Its a danger to us all, and an insult to those with COPD, myself included,  although mildly.

It's nice she normally hugs everyone although she needs to know now is a time to social distance  but the lanyard is an insult.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Now there's a prime example of someone who'd benefit from a substantial fine.  For her sake, and as an example to others.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Now there's a prime example of someone who'd benefit from a substantial fine.  For her sake, and as an example to others.

I agree.

I hope for her sake she is not tempting fate by wearing a lanyard and pretending she has COPD to avoid wearing a mask 

On 9/20/2020 at 5:08 PM, peteukmcr said:

Well seeing the weather was so good we explored more of North Wales and Snowdonia. We headed for Llanberis, and onwards through Capel Curig to Swallow Falls and ended up in Llandudno for a stroll along the prom. 

42E03404-5DDE-4BD3-A435-C3417978B706.jpeg

BD176329-98F3-485F-8AA9-2B36F8C12DA7.jpeg

DDE351C0-C9F2-4FE5-80E9-7551BCBBEE10.jpeg

B4031867-84E9-4BC6-97C9-03BE25962AFB.jpeg

5434C0FB-63D0-4B7D-89B1-085C76848A59.jpeg

21E5709C-5E45-493E-B5F6-7A8776824DE2.jpeg

They don't call it 'God's Own Country' for no reason. We had a beautiful day on Saturday and really did not want to come home on Sunday !  What amazes me is that when the Celebrity Silhouette was docking in Holyhead they weren't selling excursions to places like this to show just how beautiful this part of the world is, but sending them to Liverpool. No offense Liverpool, but we were bewildered as the Americans would have loved all of this and the history of Conwy etc etc  

• Like 2

On 9/18/2020 at 10:42 PM, Presto2 said:

Well we aren't too far from you tonight then over here in Llanddulas. We can see the bay from here so we are waving to you. I am beginning to think you are stalking us though 🤔 😉  and would you believe that there is a heron!!!!!!!!

We got engaged in Conway in 1973, brought the ring together in local jewelers for £6.45, she would not change it for the world,.

1973 Week away in a caravan park, good memories!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, mercury7289 said:

We got engaged in Conway in 1973, brought the ring together in local jewelers for £6.45, she would not change it for the world,.

I can tell you the most valuable, precious part of that ring is the lady who wears it . :classic_smile:

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

They don't call it 'God's Own Country' for no reason. We had a beautiful day on Saturday and really did not want to come home on Sunday !  What amazes me is that when the Celebrity Silhouette was docking in Holyhead they weren't selling excursions to places like this to show just how beautiful this part of the world is, but sending them to Liverpool. No offense Liverpool, but we were bewildered as the Americans would have loved all of this and the history of Conwy etc etc  

I wouldn’t understand why they would send people on the long trek to Liverpool from Holyhead when all my US have commented on Swallow Falls etc as wonderful. They would love the area. 

• Like 1

North Wales is beautifully given the weather your pictures bring back happy memories, I lived and worked on the Isle of Anglesey in the 1970s.

It's not so .nice in the Winter with  gale blowing in off the Irish Sea.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

I started my first job in 1973 and worked in a TA for 1 year before working in a bank.

Sunderland won the FA Cup in 1973 fantastic memories.

Edited by grapau27

Just now, grapau27 said:

I started my first job in 1973 and worked in a TA for 1 year before working bin a bank.

Coaches came down from Merton Colliery, a group of them  stayed in Harlesdon, good night on there return from the game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Coaches came down from Merton Colliery, a group of them  stayed in Harlesdon, good night on there return from the game.

Great loyal supporters.

Dalton Park Retail outlet is now on the Murton Colliery site.

The Sunderland Stadium of Light was built on the site of Wearmouth Colliery.

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I started my first job in 1973 and worked in a TA for 1 year before working in a bank.

They have a photo in the Promenade pub of the team on an open top bus

holding the cup aloft .They look happy chappies .:classic_smile:

• Like 1