P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Do you make passata with the tomatoes? 

Yes the freezers are groaning which is quite satisfying. It’s nice to eat your own produce.

I'm ashamed to admit that I'm useless in the kitchen, but my wife is a genius.  Passata, yes, but a whole heap of other things. 40+ kilos so far, still producing, and nothing's been wasted.  There was a year when it was courgettes arriving every day in a different guise - this year it's tomatoes.  Which is good, because I get bored very quickly with courgettes, but never tomatoes.

The Christmas new potatoes are looking good, and planning for next year's under way.  She's a remarkable woman, and fortunately loves every minute of it!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yep, the house has been like an apple processing plant with batches of stewed apples for cake and muffin making in the freezer, chutney, apple crisps etc etc.

Raspberry jam is my favourite but you can only eat and give away so many jars. Have your tried making raspberry sorbet? Or add extras to your rumtoft if you make it.

I use as many raspberries as I can as I pick them. Raspberry and Elderflower flan is a particular family favourite, raspberry pavlova and raspberry shortcakes too. I've not made sorbet, but semifreddo and ice cream is lovely. I also like to make a layered fruit terrine too.  I don't mind having a lot of frozen raspberries, when I have room and the jam is much nicer when made with the frozen fruit.

Avril

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

andy, forgive me - what is it???

Not good news from the PM today.  More restrictions etc.

We already had most of the things he announced in place here for several weeks, except the 10pm pub closures which has been announced for up here now as well.

In addition all home visiting also banned over the whole country, I despair.☹️ There is a long list of other restrictions so think yourself lucky.

16 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

So is “liqueur” another name for watery looking gravy or is it something else?

Not sure they do it now but I was told they used eel juice once upon a time. :classic_unsure:

Maybe Andy or Brian would know :classic_smile:

3 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

It's like a parsley sauce, nothing like a gravy

Andy 

19 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

So is “liqueur” another name for watery looking gravy or is it something else?

I thought 'liqueur' was an alcoholic drink! 

Avril

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

Oh, please kalos!!! It's bad enough just looking at Andy's meal😬

Avril

Found it just now on Google ...

This is commonly called eel liquor sauce or simply liquor (the term liquor does not imply alcohol content in its original meaning), traditionally made using the water kept from the preparation of the stewed eels. However, many shops no longer use stewed eel water in their parsley liquor.

Sorry Avril ..:classic_smile:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That looks like something I'd use to hang wallpaper

Avril

There aren't as many pie and mash shops around as there were when I was a kid. I wonder why. A side of jellied eels ?. All food to encourage becoming a vegan.

• Like 1