P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

9 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I have dipped in and out a bit recently and sometimes it's hard to just drop back in as the thread moves so fast and you lose track. 

It was Richard and Judy's book club a little while ago and then what to do with too many tomatoes??? 😊

I'm sure they will pop back when they are ready, they will know we are thinking about them. 

Andy 

That's true.

Sometimes just clicking on a Like,thanks or smiley face to someone's post lets you know they are okay.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Good morning all. Anyone out there awake?

It’s a cold morning here, the central is blasting away. I don’t mind the fresh cold autumn days, better than drizzle.

Have a good day all.

Sunny this morning but the forecast is for rain later.

Slept better last night and I can put a bit more weight on my foot but it's still a little painful.

Graham.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

My son and I both downloaded it this morning. If you allow it to use your location it searches for local data.

I will keep it on my phone but I think if not read properly it may cause a little unnecessary panic. It tells you the risk level for your area but 'your area' is listed as 'your local authority or a neighbouring authority' so for example someone in Medway could be told they are at amber level due to high or rising numbers but that could actually be Medway or Maidstone, Gravesham, Swale, or Tonbridge and Malling etc.

At the moment I just put my post code on Google to find what our local infection rate is without downloading the app.

• Like 3

Just downloaded the app. I checked the NHS app support site and it uses bluetooth to check other phones nearby and needs an internet connection from time to time to update data etc. So apparently no need to have a SIM in your phone

they do say it is not available for notebooks, not sure why

I'm not downloading the app. The way this government is destroying our civil liberties, without due process, plus their encouragement of people "grassing" on their neighbours, means that the last thing I'm going to do is makes it even easier for them to track my movements.

Always good to start the day with a rant!

Got to start deciding what to pack for our week in Devon (don't tell anyone where we are going!) By the looks of the weather forecast,  wet weather gear looks required. 

2 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I see idiots are panic buying bog rolls again.I always panic buy voddie this time of year so we can drive back with our annual 60 bottles.Last time before Brexit.

Won't you still be able to bring back as much duty paid alcohol as you want post brexit, if not why not?

Good morning everyone, today I’m making shortbread biscuits to go with lemon posit pudding tonight for dinner party, haven’t made shortbread for 30 yrs so I hope they turn out good has my recipe requires almost 2 pkts of butter , I think il have enough for the street to share , going into town in a bit to get some balloons for them and also some piece and quite has my next door neighbour is drilling and banging at the walls (3 work men ) and at the bottom of my garden there is building going on of two houses being built lorry’s everywhere, it’s raining off and on a bit of blue sky at the moment.

Graham glad you can put more weight on your foot today and it’s not to painful 😖 

Have a lovely safe day everyone 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm not downloading the app. The way this government is destroying our civil liberties, without due process, plus their encouragement of people "grassing" on their neighbours, means that the last thing I'm going to do is makes it even easier for them to track my movements.

Got to start deciding what to pack for our week in Devon (don't tell anyone where we are going!) By the looks of the weather forecast,  wet weather gear looks required. 

Of course you are not Wowzz... 

I will be downloading the app, my civil liberties against getting this awful virus under control, no contest. 

I am already tracked by phone signals etc, if we mention ice cream now Mr Whippy will appear outside...😊 

Andy 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Won't you still be able to bring back as much duty paid alcohol as you want post brexit, if not why not?

Hope you're right but I think we will have the same status as other non eu countries with a limit of 2lts.Even the Canaries have a 2lt limit duty paid.Someone correct me if I'm wrong.A Brexit deal will allow things to continue hopefully but that is looking doubtful.

7 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I will be downloading the app, my civil liberties against getting this awful virus under control, no contest. 

Before we know it, those of us without the app will be made to wear some sort of patch on our clothes. Slippery slope .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

At the moment I just put my post code on Google to find what our local infection rate is without downloading the app.

Yes, I have done the same. I suppose the difference with the App is it gives you instructions what to do if you have symptoms etc and if you do test positive you can chose to submit that info for local area data.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Jean may have already told them. " He's only coming to Salcombe".😁

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Before we know it, those of us without the app will be made to wear some sort of patch on our clothes. Slippery slope .

We are already at the bottom of the slippery slope, we would need to use zero technology to not be traced, no banking, no phones, no Internet. 

This stance should have been taken 10 years ago...

I have nothing to hide, but don't tell anybody I'm in Walton on the Naze...😊

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Those with the app should get 50% off in restaurants. My DW gets that with her taste card app. She only takes me out when the restaurant takes her card.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm sure you're worrying unnecessarily about the security of your data Wowzz. 

After all, the government's very sensibly put Dido Harding in charge of Track and Trace,  and she comes highly recommended by Talktalk after she was responsible for the personal data of 4m customers being stolen, including names, addresses and phone numbers.

I still enjoy the little chats which this has led to from time to time with people from the Indian subcontinent claiming to be phoning from the UK. Yesterday's gem was from Amazon, even giving her office address as 11 Newgate London EC4. Oddly, she was disinclined to share with me the view from her window, or give my account number,  and she put the phone down.  Odd how it always ends that way.  

Funny too, and ironic,  that they chose to use an address that used to house a manufacturer of safes.

You'll be fine with Dido looking after your personal information.  Endless fun with scammers and fraudsters for years to look forward to.   😃

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I see idiots are panic buying bog rolls again.I always panic buy voddie this time of year so we can drive back with our annual 60 bottles.Last time before Brexit.

Yes there have been a few features in the news about panic buying.

I have not been in a supermarket since before lockdown so don’t know what is going on, I did however notice when doing my click and collect that there are restrictions on some goods again. There is a maximum order of 3 on some goods and it comes up red when you hit the max. I wanted to make chowder and they were out of the large cans of corn so I tried to buy 3 small ones instead (approx the same as 2 large) and it came up red as a warning I had hit the limit.

I can see the point of stopping people buying dozens of a particular item but the limit seems quite low, particularly if you were shopping for 2 households.

Anyone actually seen empty shelf’s locally or are the papers scaremongering which could actually trigger panic buying in some people. If we all buy what we would normally supply would probably be sufficient for demand.

There was also a report that frozen turkeys are also being snapped. 

• Like 3

Do you need internet to be on whilst using this app?We have PAYG as we rely on WIFI here and no need for a contract.This rules us out as it would cost us a fortune just walking around.What colour are these patches,they could be fashionable.

21 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Of course you are not Wowzz... 

I am already tracked by phone signals etc, if we mention ice cream now Mr Whippy will appear outside...😊 

Andy 

Can I  have a 99 flake Andy :classic_wink:

It's the way of the world now ,driving around you have them Cow bell shaped ANPR cameras

checking your car as you drive by. I have nothing to hide so it won't flag my car.

I could look across the road and by noting the reg plate of my neighbours car see when it's

mot/tax is due and what it failed on.Anyone can do that.

I do remember recently an old man going missing around these parts .The police helicopter was scrambled

and because he had a mobile switched on and on his person ,he was located and returned home to his family.

Oh No !  Now I've got a song stuck in my head :classic_wacko::classic_wacko::classic_unsure: ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes there have been a few features in the news about panic buying.

I have not been in a supermarket since before lockdown so don’t know what is going on, 

There was also a report that frozen turkeys are also being snapped. 

I haven't known what's going on since 1968. One thing I do know. Frozen turkeys won't be going cheep🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Hope you're right but I think we will have the same status as other non eu countries with a limit of 2lts.Even the Canaries have a 2lt limit duty paid.Someone correct me if I'm wrong.A Brexit deal will allow things to continue hopefully but that is looking doubtful.

Surely you can buy duty paid material anywhere in the world and bring as much back as you like, unless the product is banned for other reasons, or am I delusional?

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Don't forget your tinfoil hat otherwise the gov can track you 😉