P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We also send our best wishes for your grandson and hopefully his bad days become just a memory and he continues to improve significantly.

Graham.

Thanks Graham, the same wishes apply to you,

Eric.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Thanks 1

Relaxing rules at Christmas to allow mixing within households is totally ridiculous, especially as we are so near getting vaccines for the vulnerable now.  It is the areas that were in the lower tiers that have the worst increase in numbers, so will not be long until they get as bad as the worst areas, especially as the numbers are now reducing in what were the worst areas..

Would be much better if any small relaxations allow more businesses to open as there is some control there, rather than have to go into strict rules for most of a month to allow a few days of stupidity inside private homes which is acknowledged as the place that transmission is most likely to happen. It would also support jobs if some businesses could open.

Edited by tring
  • Like 11

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

.........Yes, people are getting CV19, but, fortunately are not dying from it. But, conversely,  because people aren't dying, they are taking up beds in hospitals to recover, that could be used, for want of a better word, for conventional illnesses.

People certainly are dying from it.  Not, as yet, in the appalling numbers of the Spring, but the numbers are still substantial and worrying.  These Christmas proposals, involving mixing younger people with older people who've probably been carefully semi-shielding, could well be disastrous.

Chart shows daily deaths are continuing to rise

• Like 6

On 11/16/2020 at 2:35 PM, brian1 said:

Hang in there sis,only a short while to go and a vaccine on the horizon.We're making a break for it Friday,booked 3 appartments in Tuscany,Switzerland and France,also the Chunnel.Just hope the Ities accept our printed off forms.As with most things here they are a bit ambiguous and open to interpretation.Won't be happy until we've crossed the Swiss border.I feel like Steve Mcqueen in the great escape,I'll have to get a motorbike,cheers,bro.

Brian good luck for your break out tomorrow and have a safe journey home , I hope it’s not too stressful for you both and enjoy your stop overs , then welcome back to this cold and wet country 😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

People certainly are dying from it.  Not, as yet, in the appalling numbers of the Spring, but the numbers are still substantial and worrying.  These Christmas proposals, involving mixing younger people with older people who've probably been carefully semi-shielding, could well be disastrous.

Chart shows daily deaths are continuing to rise

I'm not disputing the fact that people are still dying, although I prefer to look at the excess mortality figures rather than the above graph, which shows people dying with CV19, not from it.

However, do you really think that a couple  with, say 3 children under 10, will only invite one grandparent round for Christmas lunch, rather than both grandparents?  I'm not proposing that people be allowed to have 20 guests around the dining table, just a relaxation of the 6 people indoors rule to exclude children.   

I’m sorry, I don’t understand the thrust of your comment

Those who wish a religious 25 December can still have one, within the current guidelines.  No mass gatherings

Other religions have had similar restrictions on their significant dates through the year and, though my memory fails on details, I suppose the Christian Easter services were restricted back in the spring

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Oh of course, it's just another religious celebration!

Why all the fuss. 

Say that to the Muslims, Hindus, & Sikhs etc when their holy day comes up!

Muslims had to celebrate Eid in lockdown and Hindis and Sikhs are currently celebrating Diwali in lockdown. So I'm sure Christians can celebrate Christmas in lockdown.

For those who just want to eat and drink to excess, they can do that at home 

• Like 14

59 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Oh of course, it's just another religious celebration!

Why all the fuss. 

Say that to the Muslims, Hindus, & Sikhs etc when their holy day comes up!

We did, and they accepted it.  

And for the vast majority of Christians, Christmas has no religious significance whatsoever - it’s just a holiday.

• Like 3

Has anyone being watching  The Great Plague on CH5 ?

Fascinating insight into how that was spread and how the rats got the blame.:classic_unsure:

Glasgow had the last case only 120 years ago a very short time on the scale of things .

Last part will be aired tonight but should be on catch up, should you wish to see it .

edit Note 120 years was for the UK  and not worldwide 

Edited by kalos
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Brian good luck for your break out tomorrow and have a safe journey home , I hope it’s not too stressful for you both and enjoy your stop overs , then welcome back to this cold and wet country 😊

Cheers,thought the weather was turning here yesterday.Cold and wet 21c,lol,but was the first time I've wore long trousers since March.Nice and warm again today.8 hr drive to Tuscany tomorrow.Brian.

• Like 1

I'm a church going Christian and have no problem with the thought of celebrating at home this Christmas.

We have already decided that we won't be spending time with my parents or my husband's parents despite any possible lifting of restrictions, we don't see the point of risking their health when a vaccine looks like it's almost within reach. Especially as my daughters both work in busy retail.

We are in Medway where numbers are increasing substantially and as others have said neighbouring Swale has the second highest rate in the country at the moment. Swale and Medway are so closely linked, people living in one area and working or going to school in the other, sharing a hospital etc, that I can only imagine Medway numbers will continue to rise.

If we're allowed to bubble with 6 people then we'll spend the day with my daughter and Grandbaby but we're also fully prepared to have a day apart if necessary. I'm freezing Christmas goodies in 2 batches in case they aren't supposed to come here. It wouldn't be our preferred option but it's only 1 Christmas after all.

• Like 14

17 minutes ago, kalos said:

Fascinating insight into how that was spread and how the rats got the blame.:classic_unsure:

Glasgow had the last case only 120 years ago a very short time on the scale of things .

Last part will be aired tonight but should be on catch up, should you wish to see it .

I didn't watch it, but if it's the Bubonic Plague then the last known cases reported were in Inner Mongolia and China about 6 weeks ago. Thank goodness for antibiotics.

Avril

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I'm a church going Christian and have no problem with the thought of celebrating at home this Christmas.

We have already decided that we won't be spending time with my parents or my husband's parents despite any possible lifting of restrictions, we don't see the point of risking their health when a vaccine looks like it's almost within reach. Especially as my daughters both work in busy retail.

We are in Medway where numbers are increasing substantially and as others have said neighbouring Swale has the second highest rate in the country at the moment. Swale and Medway are so closely linked, people living in one area and working or going to school in the other, sharing a hospital etc, that I can only imagine Medway numbers will continue to rise.

If we're allowed to bubble with 6 people then we'll spend the day with my daughter and Grandbaby but we're also fully prepared to have a day apart if necessary. I'm freezing Christmas goodies in 2 batches in case they aren't supposed to come here. It wouldn't be our preferred option but it's only 1 Christmas after all.

That is such a sensible approach and wouldn’t it be great if everyone felt like that. Although I admit on an ITV poll this morning 75% thought we shouldn’t relax the rules for 5 days......

I love Christmas and seeing friends and family - but I will be spending it alone this year. It is just one day and it is not worth risking everyone’s health plus the extra stress and pressure that will be put on our wonderful nurses and doctors and who are most likely having to give up their family time this year.

I just think that Christmas 2021 will be extra special because we will all have hopefully have been vaccinated and will be able to spend it with our loved ones in the knowledge that we are not risking theirs and our own health.

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Cheers,thought the weather was turning here yesterday.Cold and wet 21c,lol,but was the first time I've wore long trousers since March.Nice and warm again today.8 hr drive to Tuscany tomorrow.Brian.

So you're finally managing it at last, it's taken a while. How long is it going to take for you to get home?

Sis

45 minutes ago, kalos said:

Apart from large outbreaks like in Madagascar in recent years it is also endemic in certain places, including a part of the USA.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, brian1 said:

🎶Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak
Somewhere in this town
See me and the boys Mrs we don't like it
So were getting up and going down

So don't you be around 🎶   ,                  Good luck  & safe journey Brian :classic_smile:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

We did, and they accepted it.  

And for the vast majority of Christians, Christmas has no religious significance whatsoever - it’s just a holiday.

Sorry I don’t agree Harry. Christmas services are very important to most Christians and an integral part of both the season of advent and Christmas.

Like Easter and all the other religious events affected across all faiths, we will just have to live within the rules and perhaps watch online services instead but it is not the same and it is not “just a holiday”.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Sorry I don’t agree Harry. Christmas services are very important to most Christians and an integral part of both the season of advent and Christmas.

Like Easter and all the other religious events affected across all faiths, we will just have to live within the rules and perhaps watch online services instead but it is not the same and it is not “just a holiday”.

I agree with you, and I put that badly. I should have put the word Christian in quotes. It’s just that the vast majority of people in England (Scotland may be different) who refer to themselves as Christian (C of E on passports etc) rarely attend church or any other religious gathering or activity.

There’s midnight mass on Christmas Eve of course, but best not comment on the views of our vicar friends on that!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

But how many in this country now are practicing Christians and go to church very few  in comparison to those that just treat it as a holiday get presents and over indulge on food and alcohol.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

So you're finally managing it at last, it's taken a while. How long is it going to take for you to get home?

Sis

Hi sis,used to do it in 3 average 8 hr stints,but have been doing 4 6hr stints the last few years.Getting older now and like to sight see in a bit of daylight although this time is the exception.The Christmas markets used to be lovely,cheers,bro.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I agree with you, and I put that badly. I should have put the word Christian in quotes. It’s just that the vast majority of people in England (Scotland may be different) who refer to themselves as Christian (C of E on passports etc) rarely attend church or any other religious gathering or activity.

There’s midnight mass on Christmas Eve of course, but best not comment on the views of our vicar friends on that!

At least we don't burn each other at the steak any more,argueing about what date Easter falls on.

• Haha 1