P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

For the same reasons as Eddie I woke fearful today, I always find January a struggle but with John working this weekend I felt even more miserable.

However Ive been catching up on here and had a little walk to the postbox to post some birthday cards and I’m less miserable now.

I do like to plan things to cheer me up and, of course, we can’t at the moment so that’s a bit annoying. It’s also odd for me to have no holiday booked for this yet, it’s odd to think I have no plans at all! 

Keep warm and safe all.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, batholiver said:

You're not thinking of the oil (paraffin) burning ones are you, as distinct from the present day electric ones, which just have some kind of oil based substance sealed within them?  They have no smell at all. 

Now, those old paraffin heaters  - they did smell, but they were incredibly cheap to run! Pushed out a lot of water though.

No.

They were thin standing oil filled but electrical operated radiators.

4 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

For the same reasons as Eddie I woke fearful today, I always find January a struggle but with John working this weekend I felt even more miserable.

However Ive been catching up on here and had a little walk to the postbox to post some birthday cards and I’m less miserable now.

I do like to plan things to cheer me up and, of course, we can’t at the moment so that’s a bit annoying. It’s also odd for me to have no holiday booked for this yet, it’s odd to think I have no plans at all! 

Keep warm and safe all.

We cheered ourselves up a bit this morning. A John Fowler brochure dropped through the post box. That's a week in Cornwall sorted. All be over by Easter😁

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I was thinking of that but thought that I would prefer to keep my friends 😉

We were on Crown Princess in the Caribbean years ago and this American couple kept staring at me then handed me a pen and a book asking for my autograph.

I just scribbled something and smiled.🤔😇😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We cheered ourselves up a bit this morning. A John Fowler brochure dropped through the post box. That's a week in Cornwall sorted. All be over by Easter😁

Very nice! I thought it would be all over by Easter a few weeks ago but now the vaccine’s turned into a bit of a mess I’m not so sure!

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We were on Crown Princess in the Caribbean years ago and this American couple kept staring at me then handed me a pen and a book asking for my autograph.

I just scribbled something and smiled.🤔😇😎

Any idea who they thought you were??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Ours only on first running , never had a problem with it since .

They have moved on a lot since you got married.:classic_wink:

We have a delonghi electric oil filled radiator, and I don't  remember it ever smelling. It's sitting unused in the garage at present after we had a radiator in the sun lounge added to our CH system.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We have a delonghi electric oil filled radiator, and I don't  remember it ever smelling. It's sitting unused in the garage at present after we had a radiator in the sun lounge added to our CH system.

I think it must have been the radiator paint but it was okay when it warmed up.

Pauline was 19 and I was 25 so we kept warm in other ways.😇😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, kalos said:

It's not all about salt mate , you can inherit the condition , can come with age,

they say takeaway's , fast food, lots of processed foods high in fat and of course 

plenty of alcohol .Some people will get away with it for years on end .

They call it the "hidden killer " the good news is you and I are aware of it and have 

the chance to control it .:classic_smile:

Same here Kalos, silent killer indeed. I went to the doctor with an odd chest pain, few weeks later had a stent inserted (luckily no heart attack) and blood pressure and cholesterol tablets for life. Last cholesterol check November, very pleased a low 3.9. 
My main artery was 90% blocked, hubby asked what happens once it gets to 100%, heart attack was the answer! I nearly cancelled my GP appointment as I hadn’t had any pains for a few days 😱

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, kalos said:

One of my school mates parents had those, you could smell them walking up their path.:classic_unsure:

My remark was a bit flippant on reflection.I remember in the 50s and 60s loads of house fires caused by those things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Same here Kalos, silent killer indeed. I went to the doctor with an odd chest pain, few weeks later had a stent inserted (luckily no heart attack) and blood pressure and cholesterol tablets for life. Last cholesterol check November, very pleased a low 3.9. 
My main artery was 90% blocked, hubby asked what happens once it gets to 100%, heart attack was the answer! I nearly cancelled my GP appointment as I hadn’t any pains for a few days 😱

Glad you kept your doctor's appointment Sue.

I always took an aspirin if I had a chest pain.

I had a strange pain and took 3 aspirin and went to A&E.

ECG and check up was fine but blood test indicated a minor heart attack  (NSTEMI) and they wheeled me into cardiac care.

The aspirin saved me having any heart damage but I had a stent fitted 2 days later.

Cholesterol was 4.5 then but is 2.5 now fortunately.

Graham.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

My main artery was 90% blocked, hubby asked what happens once it gets to 100%, heart attack was the answer! I nearly cancelled my GP appointment as I hadn’t had any pains for a few days 😱

I was very lucky.  My GP (at the time) wasn't happy about my constantly elevated BP so sent me to the hospital for a BP monitor thing that I had to wear for about 24 hours.  Following that he got a letter from the cardiology dept.  When he saw me he spent a lot of time telling me about not only the long term effects of high bp on the rest of your body (heart, kidneys, eyesight etc), but also the history of how the relationship between high bp and other ailments was "discovered".  He finished off with explaining that he knew so much about bp and its history because there was a family connection.  That was the last time I saw him, he retired due to ill health a couple of months later.  I've always wondered whether the family connection was that he had high bp himself.  So ever since then I've done whatever the dr tells me re blood pressure.  Thank you Dr B, maybe you've come back for a little while to help out with the pandemic.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I was very lucky.  My GP (at the time) wasn't happy about my constantly elevated BP so sent me to the hospital for a BP monitor thing that I had to wear for about 24 hours.  Following that he got a letter from the cardiology dept.  When he saw me he spent a lot of time telling me about not only the long term effects of high bp on the rest of your body (heart, kidneys, eyesight etc), but also the history of how the relationship between high bp and other ailments was "discovered".  He finished off with explaining that he knew so much about bp and its history because there was a family connection.  That was the last time I saw him, he retired due to ill health a couple of months later.  I've always wondered whether the family connection was that he had high bp himself.  So ever since then I've done whatever the dr tells me re blood pressure.  Thank you Dr B, maybe you've come back for a little while to help out with the pandemic.

He sounds a lovely doctor.
I was sent to a ‘chest pain clinic’ at my local hospital and a lovely heart nurse told me how if the blood pressure is high it makes the heart beat harder and obviously if the artery is blocked by cholesterol it’s going to cause pain.

I think cholesterol was my main problem as I went to my GP with dizziness just before Covid hit us and wondered if it was caused by my blood pressure tablets, she said I was on just about the lowest dose.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Glad you kept your doctor's appointment Sue.

I always took an aspirin if I had a chest pain.

I had a strange pain and took 3 aspirin and went to A&E.

ECG and check up was fine but blood test indicated a minor heart attack  (NSTEMI) and they wheeled me into cardiac care.

The aspirin saved me having any heart damage but I had a stent fitted 2 days later.

Cholesterol was 4.5 then but is 2.5 now fortunately.

Graham.

I have a spray for any chest pain but can’t remember the last time I used it. My cholesterol was 6 !! 
I went for the appointment because two friends told me (not knowing I’d had a couple of episodes of pain ) that they both knew ladies in their 50’s seemingly well who died in their sleep! Horrific, it was their hearts but they either had no warning or they’d ignored it.

My stent was done by local anaesthetic going in through my wrist! Absolutely amazing technology. I’m so glad I kept that appointment!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Keep warm and safe all.

Funny innit, I'm always pleased when Christmas is over and it's January.  It feels like on the way to spring for me.  I used to enjoy it until it started in September 😞

Edited by jeanlyon

10 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Always makes me smile when they ask what level of schooling you had.  Lots of these type of jobs require common sense.  Getting a degree in history doesn't qualify anyone to stick a needle in someone's arm.  

I got A CSE in Geography :classic_smile: At least I would know where to stick it ...:classic_unsure:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4