P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If all 4 home nations have pretty much the same rules introduced at pretty much the same time, are they all incompetent ?, Or are there 4 sets of politicians supported by 4 sets of experts all trying to save our lives whilst also trying to give folk as much freedom as they can. As the whole of Europe are more, or less in the same position ,perhaps we are on the right track. In terms of vaccinating, we are leading the whole of Europe, not that it's a contest.

I fear you're flogging a dead horse if you expect any of the Boris bashers on here to see reason or talk sense. It appears that just the mention of Boris creates a feverish bout of verbal abuse.

But you and I know we are following the correct path, even if it meanders a bit to take into account changing situations which lead to the sudden need to change tack.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I fear you're flogging a dead horse if you expect any of the Boris bashers on here to see reason or talk sense. It appears that just the mention of Boris creates a feverish bout of verbal abuse.

But you and I know we are following the correct path, even if it meanders a bit to take into account changing situations which lead to the sudden need to change tack.

John. Thanks for that. I will now take my cocoa up to bed in the knowledge that hundreds, if not thousands of very clever people will be working through the night to try and keep us all safe. They will probably be analysing all the latest data to tweak the rules. They have my gratitude for that. New data means things change. I will leave it to the experts. They all seem to be in agreement at the moment. At least the armchair experts are consistent.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

Your saying that she had no idea that a lockdown was on it's way?The other week when the daily death rate hit over 960 we've been expecting this,got a few more tins and bits in.Surely you've prepared and expected this at any time?

Don’t be daft. We’ve been in lockdown in Wales since before Christmas but this county (Gwynedd) has low rates so certain years were due to return tomorrow. She HAD prepared during the holiday for them to open tomorrow but was told this afternoon that it’s all online until the 18th. If you knew anything about teaching you’d realise that it takes hours to prep for normal teaching. Then now another method has to be utilised at short notice. Blended learning takes hours and hours of prep. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought Wales was a Labour run assembly, how come they let the Lib Dems have seats at the top table?

So did Cameron. They are all incompooperies. Everyone is incompetent except you and me and I worry about you sometimes.🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought Wales was a Labour run assembly, how come they let the Lib Dems have seats at the top table?

It is but she’s quite a well respected and experienced founder member of the Welsh Assembly. She commands quite a bit of cross party support. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

It is but she’s quite a well respected and experienced founder member of the Welsh Assembly. She commands quite a bit of cross party support. 

She needs to be cherished. A respected politician. Rare breed.

8 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I have been to Sainsbury's today so I am ready for the lockdown that Boris is announcing this evening.  I thought that going today would mean there would be fewer people and it was very quiet.  I will not need to go out again for 10 to 14 days apart from getting fresh fruit and vegetables which I can get from the farm shop.

I hope that I am wrong but to me it looks like it is going to get worse before it gets better.

Stay safe everyone 

With the greatest respect, panic buying is unnecessary and selfish.

The following quote is from an email from the CEO of Aldi

"As new Government restrictions are introduced across the UK, I want to reassure you that all our stores are fully stocked, we have good availability and there are regular deliveries, at least once a day. There is no need to buy more than normal so please shop considerately."

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

So did Cameron. They are all incompooperies. Everyone is incompetent except you and me and I worry about you sometimes.🤣

On a point of grammar,  they are nincompoops, practicing nincompoopery  !

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Odd, isn't it?  And it's the same everywhere you go.  It's almost as if the scales have suddenly fallen from people's eyes and they've realised the emperor has no clothes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

With the greatest respect, panic buying is unnecessary and selfish.

The following quote is from an email from the CEO of Aldi

"As new Government restrictions are introduced across the UK, I want to reassure you that all our stores are fully stocked, we have good availability and there are regular deliveries, at least once a day. There is no need to buy more than normal so please shop considerately."

I was not panic buying because I think that it is wrong to do so. I am trying to not put myself in situations where there are a lot of people, so I only go shopping when I absolutely have to and then I buy enough to last us up to 2 weeks.  I know that I could shop on line but I like to pick my own shopping because I like to check the use by date.  Before I retired I used to do on line shopping to save time and often got short dated things.

As you say there have not been shortages of anything on the shelves for months so why would anyone be panic buying ?

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I was not panic buying because I think that it is wrong to do so. I am trying to not put myself in situations where there are a lot of people, so I only go shopping when I absolutely have to and then I buy enough to last us up to 2 weeks.  I know that I could shop on line but I like to pick my own shopping because I like to check the use by date.  Before I retired I used to do on line shopping to save time and often got short dated things.

As you say there have not been shortages of anything on the shelves for months so why would anyone be panic buying ?

In which case I apologise. When you said you would not need to go shopping again for 2 weeks, it implied that you had purchased more than normal, which it transpires is not the case.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, zap99 said:

If all 4 home nations have pretty much the same rules introduced at pretty much the same time, are they all incompetent ?, Or are there 4 sets of politicians supported by 4 sets of experts all trying to save our lives whilst also trying to give folk as much freedom as they can. As the whole of Europe are more, or less in the same position ,perhaps we are on the right track. In terms of vaccinating, we are leading the whole of Europe, not that it's a contest.

They did not though did they. 

SAGE advised closing schools following the Christmas easing because a spike in cases was fully anticipated. This advice was given back in December. Parents in Scotland were given notice that schools would not reopen in January. Consequently they have had several weeks to arrange childcare and teachers time to prepare.

In late December (after the Sage advise had been give) councils / schools were threatened with legal action in some areas of England if they closed, by the government.

On Sunday the PM said on the Marr show that schools were safe. He reiterated this to journalists yesterday morning. He made no mention of a national statement the next day. He made no plans to allow our elected representatives in the Westminster Parliament to debate the plans.

At 8pm last night schools were closed with little to no notice and a more general announcement made with no parliamentary scrutiny.

Spot the difference? I suggest you also look at Wales and NI.

I don’t intend to engage further with you on this subject as it is pointless offering facts when an individuals doctrine means they will ignore them anyway. I’m also sure people are bored with politics. Indeed you are the one who generally berates others for engaging in them, in less of course it suits you.

• Like 6

So it’s cold and icy here again today. Apparently yesterday the A&E departments were full of broken wrists and ankles from falls.

If you need to go out be careful, no one wants a trip to hospital at the moment.

Have a nice day all 😀

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Why has Gavin Wiiliamson not resigned ? In a cabinet full of amazing mediocrity, he is the most incompetent of the lot (although it's a pretty close decision).

Might be worth considering who gave him the job ... after his previously being sacked for a security leak?

• Like 4

Sir Kier Starmer has just had the audacity to say on Sky News “I called for a lockdown and the government has now announced one”. Well done Sir Kier. I can’t imagine for one moment that the near vertical climb in the infection rate graphs, the fact that there are more people in hospital than at the first peak and that we now have a new strain of the virus that is out of control would have had any bearing on the decision at all. Where would we be without you 🙄

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Might be worth considering who gave him the job ... after his previously being sacked for a security leak?

A major problem is that Boris packed his cabinet with those that supported his view of Brexit, regardless of their competency. Thus he is burdened with the likes of Williamson, Patel, Jenrick and Shapps, none of whom are capable of running a one man business, let alone a government department. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Sir Kier Starmer has just had the audacity to say on Sky News “I called for a lockdown and the government has now announced one”. Well done Sir Kier. I can’t imagine for one moment that the near vertical climb in the infection rate graphs, the fact that there are more people in hospital than at the first peak and that we now have a new strain of the virus that is out of control would have had any bearing on the decision at all. Where would we be without you 🙄

If you'll recall the timeline,  Johnson was talking to Andrew Marr on Sunday in terms of weeks. On that same day, Starmer urged him to take action within 24 hours, not weeks.

The following day, yesterday,  Johnson (where did this odd notion of calling any Prime Minister by his Christian name alone, as if he were a rock star) did exactly what Starmer had said he should do the day before. Immediate action instead of action within weeks. Delay has been the problem at every stage of this crisis. 

Not a question of audacity  - it was an entirely factual statement. 

• Like 4