P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Catkins are a birds and bees thing Dave! 🙂

(I guess that’s your question - what are catkins rather than what are these shrubs with catkins?  I’ll try to answer both)

Catkins are the male part of the reproductive arrangement.  The ‘dust’ they produce falls onto the female flower to fertilise it to make a viable seed

If you’re asking which shrub, then a pic/description would be good.  It might be Garrya, which is quite striking.  Evergreen leaves and long tassels

Hope that helps

I gathered that, I am 69 😉

Mentioning CATkins, another cat got in the garden the day before yesterday. I watched it for nearly 20 minutes to see its devious route . I will deploy more chicken wire if it ever stops raining here. 🐈 begone.

Must go a walk before the Tesco order arrives.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Supper sounds lovely.

All political talk should now be banned.

But I don't think I could stand another 6 weeks of posters telling each other what they are going fo have for dinner! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Yes, Mate! 🙂

We could fill inches of forum space with threads on what various meals are called and what foods you have at each!  Only breakfast is fixed 😂

I’m sure it’s a hangover from Downton Abbey times and has a little of the blooming British class hang-up about it

Personally - if we go out to eat, in the evening, we call it dinner.  If we eat at home - supper

crazy! 🙄

16 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

The terrine is left from my Côte at Home NYE delivery.  It was/is very good.  I don’t think you would particularly know there was rabbit - it’s minced and mixed with the other meats to make a tasty whole

We used to eat a lot of wild rabbit when I was growing up (hard times! 🙄).  They’d arrive intact & my Mum or Gran would skin etc(!) them.  Made a really tasty casserole

i bought a wild bun (skinned & jointed by the butcher) when the children were small and cooked a delicious smelling casserole but found it extremely difficult to eat because there was a pet rabbit in a hutch in the garden....  I don’t think I’ve eaten rabbit, per se, since.  I might do if the menu didn’t offer anything else I fancied more.  It often appears in Spain and Greece

Rabbit is common in Italy.They are displayed whole and skinned,not a pleasant site.I said to our DIL once,look they eat cats over here,she screamed and run off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Is supper dinner, like at 6.30pm? I thought supper was more a yank term.

Breakfast,lunch,dinner supper.

Most now just have 3 meals a day.

Pauline is currently on the phone to her cousin in Adelaide Australia.

Lovely weather and almost normal life in Adelaide.

We’re watching Big Bash cricket from Oz every morning.  Does us a power of good watching live sport, sunshine, and a degree of normality.  They’re not totally free wrt crowds, etc.  TV interviews still via a microphone on a long pole but it’s a darned sight better than here, in all respects, especially weather!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Yes, Mate! 🙂

We could fill inches of forum space with threads on what various meals are called and what foods you have at each!  Only breakfast is fixed 😂

I’m sure it’s a hangover from Downton Abbey times and has a little of the blooming British class hang-up about it

Personally - if we go out to eat, in the evening, we call it dinner.  If we eat at home - supper

crazy! 🙄

I miss my Frankie and Benny's breakfast.

We used to go every Sunday after church.

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Is supper dinner, like at 6.30pm? I thought supper was more a yank term.

We could be in for more arguing here!  Supper in most of the UK nowadays does refer to the evening meal, whether just you or with invitees (some hope) and can be at any time from about 6 p.m. onwards.  In the north of England, the meal at around 6 p.m. used to be called 'tea' and supper was just before you went to bed.  Now everyone is more casual, 'dinner' is only used for formal occasions  - or of course for the midday meal in the north!  And the school meal is still usually called dinner rather than lunch.

I await disagreements with interest - at least a change from politics.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Catkins are a birds and bees thing Dave! 🙂

(I guess that’s your question - what are catkins rather than what are these shrubs with catkins?  I’ll try to answer both)

Catkins are the male part of the reproductive arrangement.  The ‘dust’ they produce falls onto the female flower to fertilise it to make a viable seed

If you’re asking which shrub, then a pic/description would be good.  It might be Garrya, which is quite striking.  Evergreen leaves and long tassels

Hope that helps

Got me worried there.What's the cure for dusty,itchy catkins.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Yes, Mate! 🙂

crazy! 🙄

Hi for us up north east  it’s breakfast dinner tea then supper, 

madness😁

• Like 2

I grew up in North London and my mother is from Newcastle and had supper, normally a biscuit and drink before we went to bed. Down here they refer to the evening meal as tea unless they are going our for a meal and then it's dinner.  So it really depends on where you live:classic_unsure:

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, lincslady said:

We could be in for more arguing here!  Supper in most of the UK nowadays does refer to the evening meal, whether just you or with invitees (some hope) and can be at any time from about 6 p.m. onwards.  In the north of England, the meal at around 6 p.m. used to be called 'tea' and supper was just before you went to bed.  Now everyone is more casual, 'dinner' is only used for formal occasions  - or of course for the midday meal in the north!  And the school meal is still usually called dinner rather than lunch.

I await disagreements with interest - at least a change from politics.

My late mam always told us.

Dinner was lunchtime.

Tea was nighttime.

Supper was a light snack before bedtime.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

For us down south or just in our family it’s breakfast, lunch , dinner, then supper if you want something before bed , don’t normally use the word tea only in afternoon tea if we are going out for it .

Yes same here. Not sure if it’s a south east thing or just my family and friends but we have breakfast, lunch & main evening meal is dinner (whether eaten at home or out) Supper would be a snack later in the evening.

If we happen to have our dinner at lunchtime, then we would have tea late afternoon/early evening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Oh, I do love a Yorkshire pudding.

I have two Charlie Bigham ready meals from Waitrose in the fridge. The macaroni cheese in that range is fairly calorific, but delicious.

I luv me Yorkshire puds too, I found a great recipe for Yorkshire pudding Pizza as I also love Pizza. What a way to combine 2 of my favourite foods. 

3 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

What’s everyone having for dinner today? I’m doing a roast beef and Yorkshire pudding dinner today with lots of veg may even take a photo if I remember.

I’m asking to give a change of subject and some dinner ideas 😋

Bratwurst & baked potato for us tonight.  Haven't decided on veg yet.

• Like 1