P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

You can look at the likes of New Zealand who locked down hard and fast, and as a result can now live almost normally, with the economy open.

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

That’s a cogent example. We are also an island so could have done the same but the powers that be did not.

29 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

An island yes, but different in so many other ways. 

17 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Why?

Maybe the fact that the pop of NZ is a mere 5 Million and the uk is  ~66 Million

could have something to do with the difficulty in controlling the spread.

• Like 5

Just now, Aulanis said:

Maybe the fact that the pop of NZ is a mere 5 Million and the uk is  ~66 Million

could have something to do with the difficulty in controlling the spread.

Exactly, plus concentration of population is totally different, much more widespread. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

So how do you explain away Australia?

As the 6th largest nation in the world, Australia has a very low population density of just 3 people per square kilometer, or 7 per square mile. This makes it one of the least densely populated countries in the world.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Aulanis said:

As the 6th largest nation in the world, Australia has a very low population density of just 3 people per square kilometer, or 7 per square mile. This makes it one of the least densely populated countries in the world.

And the rest of the world (less 3)?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-53078368

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Hopefully, they will switch Pointless to BBC2 like yesterday.  In which case we shall be switching to BBC2.  If they don't switch it, can you we join you guys please?

How odd. Pointless on both BBC 1and 2 at the same time😄

Avril

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

So many Questions we still need answers to ? 

If it  snows heavy, does anyone know how many snowmen you're allowed in your garden under current restrictions? :classic_unsure:

No worries they soon melt away when plod turns up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

So many Questions we still need answers to ? 

If it  snows heavy, does anyone know how many snowmen you're allowed in your garden under current restrictions? :classic_unsure:

As many as can be  correctly socially distanced ,depending on garden size, but don't forget the masks. Not allowed coffee either, even iced, as they won't be walking😁

Avril

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

You can look at the likes of New Zealand who locked down hard and fast, and as a result can now live almost normally, with the economy open.

You also have to take into account that the population of New Zealand is about 5 million and  the Uk is around 68 million. I don't think you can logically compare the two

Avril

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Australia?

Australia only had 25.5 million population.

Paulines cousin who she speaks to daily lives in Adelaide Australia and she says they were very proactive with locking their borders and life for them is almost normal.

• Like 1

Just when  cruisewise things were looking a bit more hopeful I see that

Celebrity have today cancelled a number of TAs and Europe cruises

up to October 2021 some ships are still sailing but its not really clear from

the bits of info on the celebrity boards.  I am not affected but wonder if

Princess will cancel some as well!   Mine for  instance 😞  

27 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Are you going to keep on quoting every country. Give it a rest. This is why people stop using this forum. 

Don't stop posting. You were asked a question and gave a really good reply. Then correctly answered another. I nearly fell into that trap earlier. We all have our own ideas, coincidently, mine are the same as yours😉

Avril

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

You also have to take into account that the population of New Zealand is about 5 million and  the Uk is around 68 million. I don't think you can logically compare the two

Avril

But we will never know if it was a fair comparison as we did not stop inward and outward travel, implement strict, properly enforced self isolation etc.

There are also many countries with much bigger populations and density that have much lower death rates.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Don't stop posting. You were asked a question and gave a really good reply. Then correctly answered another. I nearly fell into that trap earlier. We all have our own ideas, coincidently, mine are the same as yours😉

Avril

Yes we all have our own points of view and we are all entitled to politely express them 😀

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I made the mistake of jumping on matters I usually don’t. I am very upset and that I have been targeted. My own fault I should have stayed clear. I shall not give my opinion again as I am not up to this. 

I think most of us want you to stay.

Watch Quest channel 12 at 9pm and see Sky Princess and enjoy.

See you tomorrow.

Graham.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

But we will never know if it was a fair comparison as we did not stop inward and outward travel, implement strict, properly enforced self isolation etc.

There are also many countries with much bigger populations and density that have much lower death rates.

It helps Australia and New Zealand that they are in the middle of nowhere.

The UK is a main air hub with most of the world.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

It helps Australia and New Zealand that they are in the middle of nowhere.

The UK is a main air hub with most of the world.

But it doesn’t have to be. We could have closed down, we did not.  Now we have a massively high infection rate and one of the highest rates of death on the planet. That’s real lives of real people. They are more important that an air hub IMO.

I’m sure most people in Australia and New Zealand don’t believe that they live in the middle of nowhere Graham.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

I think to a certain extent population is a big factor in this. It stands to reason that the more densely packed areas will allow the virus to spread rapidly. Having said that, the governments of the countries also have a  big part to play in this as well, you only have to look across the pond. Many European countries are having a large increase in covid cases and are dealing with in their own particular ways. Who's to say which is the right way? The biggest problem we have imo, is the the public themselves, and you can't expect much improvement until they adhere to the governments rules, whether we think they're strict enough or not.

Avril

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

I think to a certain extent population is a big factor in this. It stands to reason that the more densely packed areas will allow the virus to spread rapidly. Having said that, the governments of the countries also have a  big part to play in this as well, you only have to look across the pond. Many European countries are having a large increase in covid cases and are dealing with in their own particular ways. Who's to say which is the right way? The biggest problem we have imo, is the the public themselves, and you can't expect much improvement until they adhere to the governments rules, whether we think they're strict enough or not.

Avril

You are right about the way it has been handled across the globe. Six months ago some were saying how wonderful Sweden was as they had no lockdown and tried for herd immunity. Look at their results now.

Elements of the public are also idiots who don’t follow rules. Many poor souls get covid at work or through no fault of their own but some certainly only have themselves to blame based on their behaviour.

• Like 1