P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

23 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

You're bound to be worried but if he's feeling alright at the moment he might only have the mild symptoms. Much older than your father-in-law have had the virus and recovered I hope for his speedy recovery. take care

Avril

A 106 year old lady on GMB this morning has had covid19 twice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manx buoy said:

It’s a right lash up our processor here is struggling to ship scallops and lobsters abroad as well as the guys from across having the problems this industry has just been thrown under the bus

Terrierjohn will of course just say that you are spreading bad news with no facts to back you up! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Sorry, this is a form of bullying, DG has every right to post what she feels is relevant to her and that she feels might be of interest to others, as readers of her posts we can can decide what is relevant to us. All posts are relevant in there way, and help to build the bigger picture.Just be kind!

Thank you Mercury.

Just to reassure you, I wasn’t intimidated by the comment. But it’s a timely reminder that there are people on the other end of our posts, and our words have the power to upset, intimidate and anger those people. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Terrierjohn will of course just say that you are spreading bad news with no facts to back you up! 

Of course I will, so should you as well.  We should not be encouraging the upper classes to eat exotic sea food, if fish and chips are OK for the masses then the gentry should be happy with them as well.

2 hours ago, Manx buoy said:

It’s a right lash up our processor here is struggling to ship scallops and lobsters abroad as well as the guys from across having the problems this industry has just been thrown under the bus

Been finishing off our weekly online shop tonight for delivery tomorrow quite a lot not currently available

no cauliflower only purple or orange ones

no spring onions

no iceberg lettuce whole or bagged

no leeks 

limited choice on oranges and apples

only half cucumbers 

missing a couple of the French cheeses we buy

limited choice on chicken breasts only cheap version or frozen seem to be available 

Gaps in the meats, including lamb steaks, rump steak and beef joints 

Eggs also limited

The chicken and the egg situation could be bird flu related, although we do import chicken from Netherlands which comes in via Dover. 

We import beef from Ireland, the beef joint we bought last week was Irish, this week out of stock. 

Not sure why the lamb shortage as its peak period for British lamb, perhaps people are buying that as other options are not there.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Thank you Mercury.

Just to reassure you, I wasn’t intimidated by the comment. But it’s a timely reminder that there are people on the other end of our posts, and our words have the power to upset, intimidate and anger those people. 

The other thing to remember, is that whilst certain people (mentioning no names) don't like links to supposedly negative reports being posted, the fact is that there are absolutely no positive reports out there!

Shooting the messenger doesn't change anything.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Been finishing off our weekly online shop tonight for delivery tomorrow quite a lot not currently available

no spring onions

no leeks 

only half cucumbers 

limited choice on chicken breasts only cheap version or frozen seem to be available 

Eggs also limited

The chicken and the egg situation could be bird flu related, although we do import chicken from Netherlands which comes in via Dover. 

We import beef from Ireland, the beef joint we bought last week was Irish, this week out of stock. 

Not sure why the lamb shortage as its peak period for British lamb, perhaps people are buying that as other options are not there.

One of the advantages of shopping in Lidl and Aldi, is that despite their parentage, they stock a massive percentage of British products. Eggs and chickens are British,  as is the beef and pork. Not so sure about lamb at the monent.

The vast majority of the other missing products  you mention will be imported  at the moment, and obviously Brexit will have had a big impact, although in fairness, the large snowfalls in Spain in the early part of this week will have had an effect as well.

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’m still watching the news and they are saying that seafood is the first item to be affected as it is so perishable. Apparently beef, lamb and dairy will be next to be affected by the red tape.

I haven’t seen any positives from any of this as yet. 

I certainly never expected positive economics from leaving the EU, but equally I found the remainers mantra of constantly trying to imply that no one voted to be poorer in the referendum to be a falsehood.. 

Well pardon me but I knew there would be an economic downside, but I still voted leave because I did not agree with the federal direction of travel, nor with the  increasing need to use the Euro to prop up the weaker economies, which I felt would sooner or later lead to demands for support to come out of the general EU budget.

However a lot of the current problems being reported in the media are due to issues around new documentation rules, as well as some unforeseen issues that hopefully will be resolved amicably.  I also have sympathy for the affected companies, and hope the govt agree that they are recompensed for genuine losses.

So lets see what the position is in 3 months time before trying to resurrect Brexit arguments, I don't expect post Brexit Britain to be all milk and honey but I hope these early issues are soon resolved and trade can get back to a new normal which might not be anywhere near as dire as the remainers on the site predict.  I almost said that remainers desire there, but I am hopeful that in the fulness of time you will become more tolerant of the leavers, just as I have always accepted you have valid arguments, even though I did not agree with them.

17 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

no spring onions

no leeks 

only half cucumbers 

Eggs also limited

My Sainsbury's online delivery on Tuesday had only one substitute and that was a toilet block, and our Sweet Gem lettuce, mixed peppers, fresh apples, fresh beetroot and French cheese was delivered as requested. 

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

nor with the  increasing need to use the Euro to prop up the weaker economies, which I felt would sooner or later lead to demands for support to come out of the general EU budget.

I'm sorry, but the ECB is an autonomous financial entity, and what you are suggesting is fanciful in the extreme. Certainly not worth destroying the UK over.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Of course I will, so should you as well.  We should not be encouraging the upper classes to eat exotic sea food, if fish and chips are OK for the masses then the gentry should be happy with them as well.

With the price that they charge for fish and chips these days where we live, they are no longer affordable for the masses!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Managers are also employees.

To quote Sir John Harvey Jones  in his book Managing to Survive.... There’s no such thing as bad staff, only bad Management of the staff.

Whilst I very much admired Sir John Harvey Jones (and I had the pleasure of meeting him many years ago), I must disagree with him on this one. Having employed many thousands of staff, of all levels, during my career, I can unfortunately confirm that there are bad employees at all levels, from the very bottom to the very top! Thankfully, the vast majority don’t fit that description!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The other thing to remember, is that whilst certain people (mentioning no names) don't like links to supposedly negative reports being posted, the fact is that there are absolutely no positive reports out there!

Shooting the messenger doesn't change anything.

Keep up the good work.

If anybody wants to hunt down any good news about our departure from the EU, they are welcome to post the links😀

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I certainly never expected positive economics from leaving the EU, but equally I found the remainers mantra of constantly trying to imply that no one voted to be poorer in the referendum to be a falsehood.. 

Well pardon me but I knew there would be an economic downside, but I still voted leave because I did not agree with the federal direction of travel, nor with the  increasing need to use the Euro to prop up the weaker economies, which I felt would sooner or later lead to demands for support to come out of the general EU budget.

However a lot of the current problems being reported in the media are due to issues around new documentation rules, as well as some unforeseen issues that hopefully will be resolved amicably.  I also have sympathy for the affected companies, and hope the govt agree that they are recompensed for genuine losses.

So lets see what the position is in 3 months time before trying to resurrect Brexit arguments, I don't expect post Brexit Britain to be all milk and honey but I hope these early issues are soon resolved and trade can get back to a new normal which might not be anywhere near as dire as the remainers on the site predict.  I almost said that remainers desire there, but I am hopeful that in the fulness of time you will become more tolerant of the leavers, just as I have always accepted you have valid arguments, even though I did not agree with them.

Just to say, what has happened so far was foreseen  , but dismissed in certain quarters as project fear ! 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm sorry, but the ECB is an autonomous financial entity, and what you are suggesting is fanciful in the extreme. Certainly not worth destroying the UK over.

There was some Initial Support for the euro following the financial crisis, which was put together as a separate package paid for by the eurozone countries, fortunately we were not involved.  But I felt the writing was on the wall that our exemption would not last, and I hope for the sake of the remaining non euro countries that the ECB remains strong enough to continue to prop up the euro.

16 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Whilst I very much admired Sir John Harvey Jones (and I had the pleasure of meeting him many years ago), I must disagree with him on this one. Having employed many thousands of staff, of all levels, during my career, I can unfortunately confirm that there are bad employees at all levels, from the very bottom to the very top! Thankfully, the vast majority don’t fit that description!

Agreed Selbourne, and the bigger the organisation the more impossible the task of ensuring that the bad apples don't thrive.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Just to say, what has happened so far was foreseen  , but dismissed in certain quarters as project fear ! 

Did you actually read and understand my post?  These issues should be resolved so that normal trade can resume, but yes there will be negative consequences of the new trading arrangements. I know the remainers like to portray the leave leaders as hoodwinking the public, but I am part of joe public and as I said I fully expected there would be a cost to leaving, a cost I was prepared to pay.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

My Sainsbury's online delivery on Tuesday had only one substitute and that was a toilet block, and our Sweet Gem lettuce, mixed peppers, fresh apples, fresh beetroot and French cheese was delivered as requested. 

We did our weekly shop at Morrisons on Monday. Shelves were full, no gaps.Everything we wanted we got. French cheese, Dutch cheese, Austrian, Danish, English,all ok. All salad items ok. No shortages at all. So many eggs that I wonder if the Chicken supplies will run out soon . Send the  excess Lobsters and scallops to Woking please, that might give us a price reduction.

42 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It's propped up by Germany and they aren't too happy. We voted remain, but with the antics over the last few years are glad we are out. If you think they will destroy the UK, are you going to support them, or your own country?.We are out of the EU and we will stay out. If we keep dwelling in the past it will take longer to prosper.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I fully expected there would be a cost to leaving, a cost I was prepared to pay.

Unfortunately the ones that will pay will be those that lose their jobs due to our leaving the EU.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

It's propped up by Germany and they aren't too happy. We voted remain, but with the antics over the last few years are glad we are out. If you think they will destroy the UK, are you going to support them, or your own country?.We are out of the EU and we will stay out. If we keep dwelling in the past it will take longer to prosper.

What antics exactly?

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

What antics exactly?

The Dutch border chump confiscating a Polish lorry drivers ham sandwich and posting on u tube " Welcome to Brexit " is an antic. Even our Norwegian friends are questioning why they give the EU all that Money. They even still send us a Christmas tree each year to say thank you.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

With the price that they charge for fish and chips these days where we live, they are no longer affordable for the masses!

If things are that tight, you could always go for a battered sausage.