P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Two old  ladies  are sitting on the deck of a cruise ship. The first one asks, “Have you read Marx?”
The other one replies, “Yes. I believe that comes from sitting on these wicker chairs too long .”

That reminds me of a joke on matchboxes years ago, one of the few that I can remember.

Lady number one: It’s windy today.

Lady number two: No, it’s Thursday.

lady number one: So am I. Let’s go for a cup of tea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

That reminds me of a joke on matchboxes years ago, one of the few that I can remember.

Lady number one: It’s windy today.

Lady number two: No, it’s Thursday.

lady number one: So am I. Let’s go for a cup of tea.

Three old ladies were sitting on a park bench. A flasher comes over and rips open his raincoat.

The first old lady had a heart attack. The second old lady had a stroke.

The third old lady couldn't reach it.:classic_ohmy:

I love old ladies they are so sweet !

I gave up my Seat to an old lady on the bus and next day I lost my job as a driver.:classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

Three old ladies were sitting on a park bench. A flasher comes over and rips open his raincoat.

The first old lady had a heart attack. The second old lady had a stroke.

The third old lady couldn't reach it.:classic_ohmy:

I love old ladies they are so sweet !

I gave up my Seat to an old lady on the bus and next day I lost my job as a driver.:classic_unsure:

Not on a matchbox surely?!

• Like 2

Just caught up with today's posts and enjoyed a laugh or two.

Husband had his jab first thing this morning at our local GP's surgery. He's had the Astra Zenica and will get the second dose in April, hasn't an appointment but they say they will contact him. Me? I'm still waiting at 64 I'm in group 7, so a awhile yet I think!

Been pouring with rain most of the day here too. Just think it's easing up when it starts chucking it down again.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Husband had his jab first thing this morning at our local GP's surgery. He's had the Astra Zenica and will get the second dose in April, hasn't an appointment but they say they will contact him. Me? I'm still waiting at 64 I'm in group 7, so a awhile yet I think!

Been pouring with rain most of the day here too. Just think it's easing up when it starts chucking it down again.

Good news for your husband today and hopefully not to long for you to get a vaccine jab.

On 29/01/2021 at 11:49 AM, Harry Peterson said:

Tonight’s sorted.

For anyone with an interest in Suffolk (sorry, Annie!), Sutton Hoo, Anglo-Saxon burial ships, a rarely accomplished Suffolk accent - a good film for this weekend (Netflix sub required I’m afraid):

The Dig (2021, now on Netflix)

The Dig is a drama film directed by Simon Stone, based on the 2007 novel of the same name by John Preston, which reimagines the events of the 1939 excavation of Sutton Hoo. It stars Carey Mulligan, Ralph Fiennes, Lily James, Johnny Flynn, Ben Chaplin, Ken Stott, Archie Barnes and Monica Dolan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55650074

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3661210/

Just watched it Harry. What an absolutely charming film. I didn't know the history of Sutton Hoo but I'll look it up now. Ralph Fiennes was superb and this film has finally wiped out my memories of the dreadful man he played in Schindler's List. An excellent recommendation. Thank you. J.x

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zap99 said:

Seems like ancient history. Watching Saturday kitchen. Just waiting for Gary to tell us when P&O start sailing again.🚣

And Ollie Smith was on, he should have been on my last cruise 😞 We have been on a cruise with him before - he is just like he is on the TV! Very exuberant and friendly 😊.

(Is it bad I thought of you when I saw Gary?! 😂)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Miserable weather here, just waiting for Michelle outside the surgery where she is having her first jab... Phew.. 

Then off to the common for some fresh air whilst people dodging... 

Have a great day everyone. 

Andy 

So pleased Michelle has had the jab. I didn’t mind the 15 minute wait, a piece of calm and at least I’d be close to medical help if needed!

Absolutely hammered it down for most of the day, was hoping to go for a walk but it was so wet. Not sure why I was looking forward to John having the weekend off, we’re not doing anything!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Good news on your husband’s jab. I think all of the South is bad today, very wet in Kent too.

32 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

And Ollie Smith was on, he should have been on my last cruise 😞 We have been on a cruise with him before - he is just like he is on the TV! Very exuberant and friendly 😊.

(Is it bad I thought of you when I saw Gary?! 😂)

Thanks. We had James Martin cooking our dinner on Ocean Village a good few years ago. Come on Covid. Go away and let's get on with life....please.🤔

• Like 2

Just been passing the time working out which UK mainland ports we 

have sailed in/out of and up to yet it's eight ports . All was pretty good .

The worst was Bristol as it only had a workers canteen but otherwise ok 

I think we can all guess our favourite.

Have you sailed many UK mainland ports and as you come out of covid 

restrictions would you have any on your tick list if that was all available?

32 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

So pleased Michelle has had the jab. I didn’t mind the 15 minute wait, a piece of calm and at least I’d be close to medical help if needed!

Absolutely hammered it down for most of the day, was hoping to go for a walk but it was so wet. Not sure why I was looking forward to John having the weekend off, we’re not doing anything!

It wasn't so much having to wait that bothered her, the waiting room was crowded and bearing in mind she has hardly been out for nearly a year, it made her feel uncomfortable. 

But at least she has had it now. 

Andy 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, kalos said:

6 for us, but that includes 4 that were only cross channel ferries🛳️+ Penzance & St Mary's but we would prefer to forget the scillonian

Edited by zap99

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

5 for us, but that includes 3 that were only cross channel ferries🛳️

Hull is the only ferry for us my list is Bristol, Falmouth, Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull,
Harwich, Portsmouth and Southampton.

Portsmouth was the MS Pont Aven ferry but was a French new year charted cruise. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kalos said:

Hull is the only ferry for us my list is Bristol, Falmouth, Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull,
Harwich, Portsmouth and Southampton.

Portsmouth was the MS Pont Aven ferry but was a French new year charted cruise. 

The only mainland ports that we have cruises from are Dover and Southampton + ferries from Folkestone, Newhaven, Portsmouth, Weymouth,Penzance. Perhaps I should have done a skools adding up cruise🤔

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

6 for us, but that includes 4 that were only cross channel ferries🛳️+ Penzance & St Mary's but we would prefer to forget the scillonian

Although I occasionally feel sea sick the only time I have ever been sick was on the Scillonian!. We have sailed from Southampton and one cruise embarking in Hull and disembarking in Liverpool.Quite a few ferries when we did a tour of the Outer Hebrides in 2019 but I would be willing to travel to anywhere in the British Isles at the moment to board a cruise ship!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

It wasn't so much having to wait that bothered her, the waiting room was crowded and bearing in mind she has hardly been out for nearly a year, it made her feel uncomfortable. 

But at least she has had it now. 

Andy 

That’s bad, not surprised she felt uncomfortable. We had seats blocked off so no one sat next to each other and a door open for fresh air.

I think there’s going to be many people nervous of crowds when things get back to normal. I’ve gone into the odd shop that hasn’t been busy but I don’t like people getting too close and can’t wait to hurry home again.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, kalos said:

I’ve only sailed out of Southampton for a cruise.

I’ve had ‘mini cruises’ on Brittany ferries from Portsmouth and Plymouth, the Plymouth one was 30 hours down to Spain, lovely holiday. Saw a film in the tiny cinema but spent most of the time sitting on deck.

Also been on cross channel ferries from Dover, Ramsgate and Newhaven.

The worse one sea sickness wise was the Poole to Guernsey Condor ferry, I’d go again though!

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Just watched it Harry. What an absolutely charming film. I didn't know the history of Sutton Hoo but I'll look it up now. Ralph Fiennes was superb and this film has finally wiped out my memories of the dreadful man he played in Schindler's List. An excellent recommendation. Thank you. J.x

We watched it last night, Jane.  As you say, a charming film - thoroughly enjoyed it, and Ralph Fiennes was utterly believable. His accent training paid off too - spot on.  Best Suffolk accent I’ve ever heard from an actor!

Harry

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

That’s bad, not surprised she felt uncomfortable. We had seats blocked off so no one sat next to each other and a door open for fresh air.

I think there’s going to be many people nervous of crowds when things get back to normal. I’ve gone into the odd shop that hasn’t been busy but I don’t like people getting too close and can’t wait to hurry home again.

There was little spacing, but it was the people who came to chat to their friends next to her but stood in front of Michelle that was the issue.

As usual, it's peoples ignorance/arrogance that causes the problem. 

Andy 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We watched it last night, Jane.  As you say, a charming film - thoroughly enjoyed it, and Ralph Fiennes was utterly believable. His accent training paid off too - spot on.  Best Suffolk accent I’ve ever heard from an actor!

Harry

Haven't seen this, though have read the fascinating background story.

Every production I've ever seen featuring Suffolk or Norfolk accents portray it as a West Country accent - good to know they got it right this time.

• Like 1