P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Pudding,made with veggy Atora and steamed in the pressure cooker.Don't need Epicurean or Savoy grill with my Mrs around,lol.

Snake and diddly pie has an interesting ingredient.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not just us then!  Dealing with post, groceries and everything else that comes into the house is a nightmare!  Food and Amazon/ebay quarantine areas, diluted bleach, 24 hours for paper, 3/5 days for hard plastics, unclear for cardboard - and all based on very limited knowledge and research so far.

On the plus side, though, the refuse men have become incredibly helpful and friendly - amazing the difference a few words of thanks and the occasional chocolate bar and ice cream makes!

This is the real world now.Masks compulsory in shops here.Everywhere open now including barbers.Restaurants and barbers by reservation and they have to keep your address for 2 weeks in case it goes pear shaped again.Looking forward to our first night out Friday.Must be a bummer reading yesterdays newspapers.

Not just us then!  Dealing with post, groceries and everything else that comes into the house is a nightmare!  Food and Amazon/ebay quarantine areas, diluted bleach, 24 hours for paper, 3/5 days for hard plastics, unclear for cardboard - and all based on very limited knowledge and research so far.

On the plus side, though, the refuse men have become incredibly helpful and friendly - amazing the difference a few words of thanks and the occasional chocolate bar and ice cream makes!

Fortunately Mrs W and I are pretty healthy, although Mrs W does have an underlying blood issue. Apart from washing our hands religiously, I have to admit that we are not taking any other precautions.  Obviously those with serious medical conditions will have to act differently. 

However, Melanie Gates was interviewed this morning on the radio, in her role as a founder of the Bill and Melinds Gates Foundation, the largest private foundation in the world. Her judgement was that it would be at least 18 months before a viable vaccine would be developed. If you then add on manufacturing lead time, plus the sheer logistics of inoculating billions of people,  it could well be 4 or 5 years before normality is achieved.

Given this sort of time scale, those unfortunate people that are self quarantining, will, at some stage have to decide if they are going to stay at home until 2025, or take a calculated risk and re-enter the world, albeit with appropriate precautions. 

13 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Pudding,made with veggy Atora and steamed in the pressure cooker.Don't need Epicurean or Savoy grill with my Mrs around,lol.

Does she do mail order? A bit too far for click and collect. 😊

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Fortunately Mrs W and I are pretty healthy, although Mrs W does have an underlying blood issue. Apart from washing our hands religiously, I have to admit that we are not taking any other precautions.  Obviously those with serious medical conditions will have to act differently. 

However, Melanie Gates was interviewed this morning on the radio, in her role as a founder of the Bill and Melinds Gates Foundation, the largest private foundation in the world. Her judgement was that it would be at least 18 months before a viable vaccine would be developed. If you then add on manufacturing lead time, plus the sheer logistics of inoculating billions of people,  it could well be 4 or 5 years before normality is achieved.

Given this sort of time scale, those unfortunate people that are self quarantining, will, at some stage have to decide if they are going to stay at home until 2025, or take a calculated risk and re-enter the world, albeit with appropriate precautions. 

Yet vaccine researchers and developers based in Oxford are 80% confident of having a working virus by autumn this year and are already mass producing it in collaboration with Astra Zeneca. I may be wrong but they seem better qualified than Melinda Gates or maybe it is wishful thinking.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I hope you are right. To be clear,  from the reports I have read, they don't appear to be mass producing the vaccine as yet, as the human tests are only just being started. However, if the vaccine is successful,  they would hope to produce 30 million by September for the UK.

I have heard several times that they are producing around 1 million doses in advance of the trials being successful because they are confident of success and apparently the vaccine is not expensive. If they find out it is effective, they will go into full production. I may have heard wrongly but I hope not.

11 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I have heard several times that they are producing around 1 million doses in advance of the trials being successful because they are confident of success and apparently the vaccine is not expensive. If they find out it is effective, they will go into full production. I may have heard wrongly but I hope not.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-05-17/cambridge-company-astrazeneca-to-make-30-doses-of-coronavirus-vaccine-if-it-works/

Not manufacturing at present,  according to this report.

If you take the view as someone under 40 that you need to avoid the virus because it might kill you, the logical approach, based on deaths from Covid-19 and deaths crossing the road, would be never to cross a road again.

At least you can see the car coming. You have a better chance of avoiding a car than an invisible virus.

Avril 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well astrazeneca cannot be manufacturing a vaccine at present because there isnt one they have said that they could manufacture 30 million by September but dont know how soon they would have to know the vaccine works to reach that figure by September. I think producing any currently as previously said 1 million in advance of trials being successful is a very big gamble.

Edited by majortom10

The vaccine is still in its trial stage. A thousand volunteers over the course of the next few weeks will either be given the vaccine or alternative. They need monitoring for side effects as well as testing to see if they  contract cv. Only once they have all data and proved it works can they apply for a licence to manufacture. Usually takes years but in this instance if I have read the info correctly they have altered an existing vaccine to see if it works against cv. If it does then production can start sooner although not all the vaccine is for the uk, AZ will distribute to other countries particularly the poorer ones to help combat the spread.

Edited by my marina bay

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Well astrazeneca cannot be manufacturing a vaccine at present because there isnt one they have said that they could manufacture 30 million by September but dont know how soon they would have to know the vaccine works to reach that figure by September. I think producing any currently as previously said 1 million in advance of trials being successful is a very big gamble.

Yes indeed,a big gamble, but if it was ,say a £60m gamble that's about a pound each person. A scratch card's worth. If the powers gamble a pound of my money and it doesn't work, I'll let them off.

and I think I saw a press report that, if it does prove effective, the cost per person of the vaccine itself is “the same as a cup of coffee”.

Bargain!

I’m still a bit dubious about how this is going to come about so quickly/at all but who knows?  Fingers and toes crossed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Yes indeed,a big gamble, but if it was ,say a £60m gamble that's about a pound each person. A scratch card's worth. If the powers gamble a pound of my money and it doesn't work, I'll let them off.

No the gamble is making 1 million vaccines before they know whether it works or not. If it works and they get the go ahead then they have said they can make 60 million by September which wont be a gamble if it works.

4 hours ago, pete14 said:

Yet vaccine researchers and developers based in Oxford are 80% confident of having a working virus by autumn this year and are already mass producing it in collaboration with Astra Zeneca. I may be wrong but they seem better qualified than Melinda Gates or maybe it is wishful thinking.

I suspect Melinda might be relying on data from Pfizer, who could be ERECTING barricades.😉

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

I hope you are right. To be clear,  from the reports I have read, they don't appear to be mass producing the vaccine as yet, as the human tests are only just being started. However, if the vaccine is successful,  they would hope to produce 30 million by September for the UK.

How quickly things can change. 

Just read that all the monkeys they tried it on caught the virus.. 

Not sure of the validity of that report, but let's hope its wrong.. 

Andy 

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

And according to a later report in today's Telegraph, the Oxford University vaccine doesn't stop the virus in monkeys and may only be partially effective, raising questions about the vaccine's likely human efficacy and ongoing development.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

How quickly things can change. 

Just read that all the monkeys they tried it on caught the virus.. 

Not sure of the validity of that report, but let's hope its wrong.. 

Andy 

The first phase of human testing has just finished, so I doubt that would have happened if any animal testing had failed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

Understanding politics can be confusing for some . :classic_rolleyes:

You would not go and lobby the Houses Of Parliament to book or discuss your cruise.

Just like you would not talk politics on a cruise web site ...Or would you ???

(That's unless the thread was entitled politics )

Back on topic "What's things like where you are ?"

For us it's 15 deg and dark but tomorrows another day .:classic_smile:

BBQ in the garden tomorrow and a trip to the New Forest on Wednesday. Nice long walk, picnic lunch and perhaps down to Mudeford in the afternoon. Socially distancing from ANYONE who mentions politics. By Thursday some of these posts will have been deleted. If not,why not😁🚢🦞

• Like 6

It's supposed to be another nice day tomorrow but there's no picnic for us unfortunately. A day of washing looms for me. The weather's on the up now so I'm looking forward to long lazy days in the garden with my kindle. After the washings out of the way of course. Hope you both  enjoy your day tomorrow.  Goodnight both.

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
Silly spelling

14 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I suspect Melinda might be relying on data from Pfizer, who could be ERECTING barricades.😉

Are they building a wall?. Perhaps they have advice from Washington.

• Like 1