P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

18 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Happy anniversary for yesterday.  It must be strange not to be able to go out to celebrate, we always go for a nice meal for our anniversary.  This year we had planned to be on Ventura and were treating ourselves to a suite because it will be 40 years but it is not to be so we will celebrate at home, hopefully with family as it isn't until November.

Our 40th was also a washout because it was in early April. A suite on the Iona maiden was to be a good way of marking the occasion but the rest is history. We are hoping to be on Ventura in early November (cruise begins Oct 31) and being an optimist, I am still hopeful that it will happen. I just hope they don’t give October 31st as the limit of the next set of cancellations. If so, I will suggest to them that we set sail just after midnight on November 1st. I am sure we will manage to make up the time.

Edited by pete14

38 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Our 40th was also a washout because it was in early April. A suite on the Iona maiden was to be a good way of marking the occasion but the rest is history. We are hoping to be on Ventura in early November (cruise begins Oct 31) and being an optimist, I am still hopeful that it will happen. I just hope they don’t give October 31st as the limit of the next set of cancellations. If so, I will suggest to them that we set sail just after midnight on November 1st. I am sure we will manage to make up the time.

It is the October 31st cruise that we have booked but unless there is a vaccine found before we have to pay the balance we will be cancelling because we feel that it is too much of a risk given OH's health issue.

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Our wedding anniversary today  - don't ask how long - Mrs W will say too long. Mrs W went for a cycle ride this morning,  whilst I did a shop in Aldi. No queue to get in, not many people around,  and lots of check outs open. Then we went for a walk - passed a few people,  but in the open air with a breeze, no need for a mask.  Sat out in the garden this afternoon  and had a chat with our neighbours over the fence. They bought us some anniversary chocolates - a nice touch.

The husband of one of our other neighbours has cancer - because of the over reaction to CV19, he is not getting the treatment he needs, and when he dies he will not be counted as a CV19 victim, which is obviously wrong. People are getting over hysterical about the dangers of CV19.

I don't understand why everyone gets worried about going out in the open air. Chances of catching CV19 are infinitessimal.  I see people walking around the local country lanes wearing masks and gloves and I just think "Why!" 

Many congratulations on your wedding anniversary  wowzz.🍷

If we lived in an area where you do, which sounds more countryish than town maybe I wouldn't be so worried either. I was looking at our local numbers last night, which I do a couple of times a week, and we now have 997 cases and rising. According to the statistics Barnsley is now the second worst area in Yorkshire for infection rates per 100, 000 of the population. Just below Sheffield. Certain parts of the country aren't being hysterical wowzz they're being careful. I can understand why you think virus is hard to catch  because you aren't surrounded by it but please don't belittle others that are having to live with the virus around them. I'll trade places with you anytime. Your life at the moment sounds ideal.

Avril 

12 hours ago, kalos said:

When I was younger my Dad insisted I saw a child psychiatrist and I can tell you he was no help at all .:classic_wacko::classic_wink:

Well he wouldn't be kalos. You really need to see a grown - up one.😉. In any case you'll be happier barmy, I know I am😆

Avril 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I don't understand why everyone gets worried about going out in the open air. Chances of catching CV19 are infinitessimal.  I see people walking around the local country lanes wearing masks and gloves and I just think "Why!" 

The chances of catching it are low, as are the chances of dying from it if you do catch it.

Bummer for the optimistic 36,000+ people who caught it and died.

I wear a mask outdoors if there is any likelihood of getting near to anybody, intentionally or otherwise, and, in doing so, reduce the, infinitessimal, chances of catching it slightly more.

Each to his/her own.

Sorry I attributed the quote to you Adawn47 it should have been wowzz.

Edited by Pine Man

31 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

I wear a mask outdoors if there is any likelihood of getting near to anybody, intentionally or otherwise, and, in doing so, reduce the, infinitessimal, chances of catching it slightly more.

But only a properly fitted medical mask, plus visor, is of use. Wearing any other form of mask basically only stops you spreading the virus.

But, obviously, your decision. I hope you dispose of the mask,  or wash it after every use, and remove it correctly, as per medical practice. 

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

It is the October 31st cruise that we have booked but unless there is a vaccine found before we have to pay the balance we will be cancelling because we feel that it is too much of a risk given OH's health issue.

Thats a shame Josy but if OH has a health issue, perfectly understandable (you could leave him at home but not a good look for an anniversary cruise). As the balance is due early August, I think it very unlikely that there will be a vaccine by then. We will hang on and if the cruise does go, we will be on it but at least, if it is cancelled, we should be able to use FCC for 2022 as new brochure may be out by then. If you do decide to go, we could have neighbouring suites. We have an aft one on A deck.

11 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Just relax and take it in your stride and if things get really bad---go down the pub!

I pop into the virtual pub a lot. Sometimes with a real JD in hand. Always good for a laugh in there and the musical acts are good too. There's a regular comedian in there  though that can be a bit iffy on an occasion.😆

Avril 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I hope you dispose of the mask,

I was reading about some people who think wearing a mask and gloves will save them when out shopping 

and then proceed to dump them in a shopping trolly after they have finished shopping.

Or just drop them on the floor for others to clean up.

Strange how some view staying safe .

• Like 1

Well my day has just got better😊. My grandaughter has sent us 56 pictures through on WhatsApp of Jake's birthday with some videos to follow later.

Virtual birthdays, virtual pubs, virtual funerals, what next I wonder. Virtual cruises and holidays? 😆

Avril 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, kalos said:

I was reading about some people who think wearing a mask and gloves will save them when out shopping 

and then proceed to dump them in a shopping trolly after they have finished shopping.

That's my experience as well. People don't lower their head and remove their mask in a downward motion, don't immediately place the mask in an airtight container,   but do promptly give their face a good rub!

And don't get me started on the way people put on and take off gloves!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Well my day has just got better😊. My grandaughter has sent us 56 pictures through on WhatsApp of Jake's birthday with some videos to follow later.

Virtual birthdays, virtual pubs, virtual funerals, what next I wonder. Virtual cruises and holidays? 😆

Avril 

Avril,

I am sure the pictures are great and the videos will be as good. Not sure about virtual cruises though. Prefer the real ones

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

Thats a shame Josy but if OH has a health issue, perfectly understandable (you could leave him at home but not a good look for an anniversary cruise). As the balance is due early August, I think it very unlikely that there will be a vaccine by then. We will hang on and if the cruise does go, we will be on it but at least, if it is cancelled, we should be able to use FCC for 2022 as new brochure may be out by then. If you do decide to go, we could have neighbouring suites. We have an aft one on A deck.

We will be on D deck if we do go, but it is extremely unlikely because OH is saying that he doesn't feel happy about handing over several thousands pounds early August and then having to wait who knows how long to get it back when/if P&O cancel.

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Many congratulations on your wedding anniversary  wowzz.🍷

If we lived in an area where you do, which sounds more countryish than town maybe I wouldn't be so worried either. I was looking at our local numbers last night, which I do a couple of times a week, and we now have 997 cases and rising. According to the statistics Barnsley is now the second worst area in Yorkshire for infection rates per 100, 000 of the population. Just below Sheffield. Certain parts of the country aren't being hysterical wowzz they're being careful. I can understand why you think virus is hard to catch  because you aren't surrounded by it but please don't belittle others that are having to live with the virus around them. I'll trade places with you anytime. Your life at the moment sounds ideal.

Avril 

Lincolnshire v Yorkshire. They are fairly close aren't they? Both well North of Watford.😁

2 hours ago, kalos said:

We just got back from the supermarket. As I said to the old gentleman at the bread section. " Do you have to pick up every loaf" . But they are all wrapped. " Yes but your germs will now be on each package. " So what am I supposed to do. " Don't f..ING touch any of them. Simple."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We will be on D deck if we do go, but it is extremely unlikely because OH is saying that he doesn't feel happy about handing over several thousands pounds early August and then having to wait who knows how long to get it back when/if P&O cancel.

Hopefully by early August there will be more clarity about whether or not the cruise will be happening. They will have a lot of decisions to make in the next 10 weeks before we have to pay and I am sure they will be paying great attention to the outstanding scientific advice.

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Lincolnshire v Yorkshire. They are fairly close aren't they? Both well North of Watford.😁

Relatively close in distance, but very different in character - although you can’t really regard Yorkshire as one entity.  South Yorkshire is very different from East, West and North Yorkshire.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Relatively close in distance, but very different in character - although you can’t really regard Yorkshire as one entity.  South Yorkshire is very different from East, West and North Yorkshire.

Absolutely, when I was working in a London office colleagues often used to ask me how come my (West) Yorkshire accent was nothing like that of my friend from (South) Yorkshire. I'd say "I dern't know" whereas she would say "I dun't know!" As for our friends in East Yorkshire, aka Humbersaaard, well that's different altogether! 😃

2 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Absolutely, when I was working in a London office colleagues often used to ask me how come my (West) Yorkshire accent was nothing like that of my friend from (South) Yorkshire. I'd say "I dern't know" whereas she would say "I dun't know!" As for our friends in East Yorkshire, aka Humbersaaard, well that's different altogether! 😃

Humberside’s long gone for most purposes. Nobody liked it, north or south of the Humber.

The accent in East Yorkshire remains of course.  

“Me mum’s gone to vert. She’s at the perling station”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've not posted much lately as we've been in a rather dull cycle of home schooling & the usual domestic stuff. Today was different however as our local dealership took in my car for it's overdue service. I chose a while you wait service which I have used before but this time (understandably) there were no refreshments. The social distancing precautions were well thought out with easy to follow signs etc. and the staff were helpful as usual. It seems that I was the only one waiting so I had no concerns about getting too close to others whilst I waited, and the service was completed quicker than last year presumably as they have less cars to deal with. Once I got home I followed grapau27's detox routine, all the clothes in the washer and straight in the shower for me. You can't be too careful.

To further enhance this unusual day my wife visited the in-laws (chatted to them from a distance of course) and noticed the deserted fish and chip shop on the way home. We've therefore had a treat of proper fish and chips for the first time in months. Before anyone asks, that's brown sauce on mine whilst my wife prefers ketchup. Each to their own.

It comes to something when this is classed as an exciting day!

Happy Friday everyone and for any mums and dads home schooling you can take next week off so enjoy!

IMG_0963.jpg

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Humberside’s long gone for most purposes. Nobody liked it, north or south of the Humber.

The accent in East Yorkshire remains of course.  

“Me mum’s gone to vert. She’s at the perling station”.

After verting did she call into the pub for haaaaalf a Caaaarling?