Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Host Sharon

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

Sorry :classic_blush: but when you are surrounded by Sheffield ,Barnsley,Worksop and Doncaster

I'm gunna sound weird .

It's a bit like Damians chart, if I'm away from home, I find it better to just ask for some 

"chips wrapped in bread please ".  No matter what I ask for it's wrong  but the best thing is 

they all taste like a Breadcake ,which was what  I asked for .

Trying to get a fish cake is a nightmare ! A few miles from home and they think I want a rissole !:classic_wacko:

It usually ends up with them saying "oh ,you want a fish slice" or some call it a Yorkshire fishcake.

We finally agree what I want is some fish sandwich'd between two large slices of potato, encrusted

in a nice batter.... All for them to tell me  .."Sorry we don't do them " :classic_sad::classic_unsure:

About 30 years ago we were driving back from the South of France. I said to my son's friend,"Paul, would you like desert", can I have cheesecake he replied . I ordered in my perfect French. When it came I realised that " Tarte au fromage" is actually quiche. The waitress wondered why we were laughing our heads off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

I'm sorry but I don't understand anyone north of Watford  and I live north of Watford!!!!!

Written by a softie southerner.....

Puts tin hat on and awaits for flack !

Take that tin hat off, the wars over (1945) 

You can fill that "Gap" in you have down in Watford ,us up north will not harm you .

I bet you like a yorkshire pudd with your Sunday dinner ?  yes ?  You have the taste for Yorkshire by now :classic_smile:

Now the world's your oyster Sunderland , Newcastle followed by Scotland . :classic_smile:

Happy travels ! :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sun is out -- it may be blowing a gale though!

School's out for half term --- well sort of as most are open for some children during the crisis

No heron in sight so can now relax over the coming week

;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have some large Yorkshire pudding in the freezer, the type you put a meal in, last Monday my wife said would you like a Yorkshire Pudding with beef casserole in it for dinner, sounds good I say, so out comes the Yorkshire  pud and frozen beef casserole to defrost. After an afternoon of gardening sat down to dinner, when my wife says “you know that beef casserole, yes I say, well it’s not beef, it’s lamb curry! Eager to start a new trend, I said no problem, opened a bottle of Peroni and sat down to Lamb Curry in a Yorkshire Pud, was a good combination, so will do it again sometime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kalos said:

usually ends up with them saying "oh ,you want a fish slice" or some call it a Yorkshire fishcake.

We finally agree what I want is some fish sandwich'd between two large slices of potato, encrusted

in a nice batter....

That's a fish scallop kalos😆

Avril 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

I'm sorry but I don't understand anyone north of Watford  and I live north of Watford!!!!!

Written by a softie southerner.....

Puts tin hat on and awaits for flack !

That's ok. No offence taken.The only reason I can understand anyone south of Watford anyway  is because I'm a Southern transplant. 😆.

Avril 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

The sun is out -- it may be blowing a gale though!

School's out for half term --- well sort of as most are open for some children during the crisis

No heron in sight so can now relax over the coming week

😉


Good news for you is that I haven’t seen the heron for a few days either. Maybe he has taken his affections elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

We have some large Yorkshire pudding in the freezer, the type you put a meal in, last Monday my wife said would you like a Yorkshire Pudding with beef casserole in it for dinner, sounds good I say, so out comes the Yorkshire  pud and frozen beef casserole to defrost. After an afternoon of gardening sat down to dinner, when my wife says “you know that beef casserole, yes I say, well it’s not beef, it’s lamb curry! Eager to start a new trend, I said no problem, opened a bottle of Peroni and sat down to Lamb Curry in a Yorkshire Pud, was a good combination, so will do it again sometime. 

That sounds like one of Marco's Gala dinners... 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

That sounds like one of Marco's Gala dinners... 

Andy 


As I recall they are not that good. 😇

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't like them either. Its always the same menu.We avoid that side of the menu completely. 

Avril 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kalos said:

Sorry :classic_blush: but when you are surrounded by Sheffield ,Barnsley,Worksop and Doncaster

I'm gunna sound weird .

It's a bit like Damians chart, if I'm away from home, I find it better to just ask for some 

"chips wrapped in bread please ".  No matter what I ask for it's wrong  but the best thing is 

they all taste like a Breadcake ,which was what  I asked for .

Trying to get a fish cake is a nightmare ! A few miles from home and they think I want a rissole !:classic_wacko:

It usually ends up with them saying "oh ,you want a fish slice" or some call it a Yorkshire fishcake.

We finally agree what I want is some fish sandwich'd between two large slices of potato, encrusted

in a nice batter.... All for them to tell me  .."Sorry we don't do them " :classic_sad::classic_unsure:


Oh gosh I remember years ago and I bought hubby(then boyfriend) what he asked for and it was the wrong one. I don’t like either so had never got that before. 
 

I do often wonder where bouts you are. Assuming Rotherham as I was also sandwiched between the same city’s are you have mentioned. I have crossed the border now into a different county although my kids are in a school in South Yorkshire. Find it bizarre sometimes and also the town centre is like going back 15-20years. Weird as owt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

We have some large Yorkshire pudding in the freezer, the type you put a meal in, last Monday my wife said would you like a Yorkshire Pudding with beef casserole in it for dinner, sounds good I say, so out comes the Yorkshire  pud and frozen beef casserole to defrost. After an afternoon of gardening sat down to dinner, when my wife says “you know that beef casserole, yes I say, well it’s not beef, it’s lamb curry! Eager to start a new trend, I said no problem, opened a bottle of Peroni and sat down to Lamb Curry in a Yorkshire Pud, was a good combination, so will do it again sometime. 


 

we used to do this for Boxing Day. Was called our Boxing Day curry. Every left over and I mean everything from Christmas Day would go into a curry sauce then into a massive Yorkshire pud. Only stopped cos the kids don’t really like curry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Time to lob pancakes with gravy in again I think...........


cant get any eggs without paying ridiculous money. Got some American type ones but they won’t go well with gravy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:


cant get any eggs without paying ridiculous money. Got some American type ones but they won’t go well with gravy. 

Vamps- where are you shopping? No shortage of free range eggs in Lidl and Aldi in Gainsborough. Only a short trip from Donny! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DamianG said:

They used to do a very nice chip barm at Knowsley Road, home of St Helens RLFC. Once we'd translated that and knew what it actually meant we always used to get one when we travelled over to watch Leeds play.

 

ERLRfC6XsAILCsQ.jpg

Even that's confusing.When I worked in Ashby,Leicestershire,which is East Midlands they called it a barm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

That's a fish scallop kalos😆

Avril 

That's right,my Mum used to call sliced spuds,scallops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Now, now Brian. You have your bream to look forward to. You're just jealous because you won't have any brown sauce to squirt all over it😆.

I hope you both enjoy you evening out.🍷

Avril 

Why do I feel I've just been told off by my big sister.You're right though,sorry Damian.FWIW we drive over with a years supply of brown sauce as part of our home comfort package.LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Vamps- where are you shopping? No shortage of free range eggs in Lidl and Aldi in Gainsborough. Only a short trip from Donny! 


there was none in co op or Aldi. 
 

found some in Sainsbury’s but they were £3.75. Very expensive for eggs. For 10. 
im about 35 mins away from Gainsborough. I only work in donny. 
 

im working tomorrow and Monday but I’ve got Asda delivery coming on Tuesday so will hope that eggs will be in there. 
 

it’s typical everytime I have eggs it will get close to the use by and I’ll say right we have to eat the eggs now. Soon as I can’t get any hubby’s like where are the eggs. He wanted to make eggy bread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DamianG said:

They used to do a very nice chip barm at Knowsley Road, home of St Helens RLFC. Once we'd translated that and knew what it actually meant we always used to get one when we travelled over to watch Leeds play.

 

ERLRfC6XsAILCsQ.jpg


I’d have said bread cake. 
would never have said teacake! That’s got currents in it. Can you imagine going to a cafe and asking for tea cake for you breakfast and they just give you one of these. 
In the chippy tho wouldn’t you just say a chip butty?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:


cant get any eggs without paying ridiculous money. Got some American type ones but they won’t go well with gravy. 

American eggs and gravy?. That sounds gross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

I'm sorry but I don't understand anyone north of Watford  and I live north of Watford!!!!!

Written by a softie southerner.....

Puts tin hat on and awaits for flack !

 

Where I used to work in London you would have been classed as a Northerner!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, pete14 said:


Good news for you is that I haven’t seen the heron for a few days either. Maybe he has taken his affections elsewhere. 

 

Funny enough we've seen a heron flying around our neighbourhood recently. If the police catch it they'll fine it and send it back home to Stoke (non-essential travel restrictions etc.).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Why do I feel I've just been told off by my big sister.You're right though,sorry Damian.FWIW we drive over with a years supply of brown sauce as part of our home comfort package.LOL.

 

Hey, no apology necessary, keep the humour coming! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

That's a fish scallop kalos😆

Avril 

Reading Kalos's post reminded me of the wonderful onion fritters my Mum uses to make, a slice of onion between two slices of potato, all covered in a golden crispy batter, yummy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...