P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

37 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

Well I assume I posted 12 months ago on how things were where we are, so time for an update. It’s been 12 months since Patrick had his heart attack and subsequent stents inserted, it’s déjà vu for me as I’ve been put back on furlough. Even though I was taken back in May 2020, it was only on 80% pay and then as a workforce we were forced onto part time working at the beginning of 2021, with the resulting reduction in pay due to reduced hours. 

No update has been provided on how long we are to be on furlough, especially as this has been extended and business travel is still nigh non existent. 

Although the ‘stay local’ restriction in England is lifted tomorrow, it’s no use to me as I still cannot travel to Wales to see my parents aged 84 & 85 due to the restrictions imposed by the Welsh government. They live 75 miles from me, and I know many who have ignored the ‘stay local’ instructions over the past weeks and travelled further than that in England, but I have complied.

I have taken a 2nd job to supplement my pay and try and replace the savings I used last year to top up my salary. 

On top of all this we lost our beloved cat Charlie 6 weeks ago after a short illness. 

Not a particularly good start to 2021, but we have a short break in the Lake District in a few weeks, and have booked a Princess ‘Seacation’ as we should both have had both vaccinations by May. 

Good to hear from you Pete even if things are not perfect. Hopefully the year will improve as it moves on.

The loss of a pet is harsh, only those who have lost a beloved family pet really get it.

Glad you have something to look forward to at least. The Lakes are beautiful.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, peteukmcr said:

Well I assume I posted 12 months ago on how things were where we are, so time for an update. It’s been 12 months since Patrick had his heart attack and subsequent stents inserted, it’s déjà vu for me as I’ve been put back on furlough. Even though I was taken back in May 2020, it was only on 80% pay and then as a workforce we were forced onto part time working at the beginning of 2021, with the resulting reduction in pay due to reduced hours. 

No update has been provided on how long we are to be on furlough, especially as this has been extended and business travel is still nigh non existent. 

Although the ‘stay local’ restriction in England is lifted tomorrow, it’s no use to me as I still cannot travel to Wales to see my parents aged 84 & 85 due to the restrictions imposed by the Welsh government. They live 75 miles from me, and I know many who have ignored the ‘stay local’ instructions over the past weeks and travelled further than that in England, but I have complied.

I have taken a 2nd job to supplement my pay and try and replace the savings I used last year to top up my salary. 

On top of all this we lost our beloved cat Charlie 6 weeks ago after a short illness. 

Not a particularly good start to 2021, but we have a short break in the Lake District in a few weeks, and have booked a Princess ‘Seacation’ as we should both have had both vaccinations by May. 

Sorry to hear about Charlie your cat.

Good luck with your job and vaccinations and hopefully by May 17th  things should be a lot clearer for travel.

I hope Patrick is well now 12 months after having stents fitted.

It is 15 months since I had a cardiac stent fitted.

1 hour ago, peteukmcr said:

Tough times Pete, I can especially relate to your employment situation and all credit to you for getting that second job. 
You have my utmost respect remaining compliant with all the lockdown restrictions (as does everyone else who follows the rules) when it is blatantly obvious that so many are ignoring these. It’s a real source of frustration for me but I try hard to focus on things I can control and not get too upset by things that I can’t.

I hope things pick up for you sooner rather than later.

Damian

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

You will know better than me, but I thought I saw the Welsh minister on the news the other day saying the English were welcome in Wales once the English were allowed to travel.  So sorry to hear about Charlie, I can definitely sympathise with that.  I had to bury my best friend and have my beloved dog put to sleep all on the same day when the first lockdown had just started.  That was a year and 3 days ago 😞  

3 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

Pete, I've always been impressed by your your cruising experience,  plus your travel knowledge.  Is there any way that you could combine them to offer an online travel consultancy?

I'd happily pay to get the benefit of your advice. 

And, my condolences for Charlie  - losing a pet is never easy.

• Like 1

On the subject of alternative European cheeses etc.I have noticed a lot more fresh shellfish on supermarket shelves thanks to our "friends" in the EU.I for one will support these industries by buying British.Not my favourite cheese but long live Cornish Gouda,lol.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, brian1 said:

On the subject of alternative European cheeses etc.I have noticed a lot more fresh shellfish on supermarket shelves thanks to our "friends" in the EU.I for one will support these industries by buying British.Not my favourite cheese but long live Cornish Gouda,lol.

Very sadly, our trading friends in the EU were converted by us into trading competitors through no choice of their own. As a direct result,  we are no longer able to export our fish quickly enough for it to be fresh and competitive. 

A very great shame for our fishermen. 

• Like 1

11°C and partly sunny.

It is still windy after last night's strong winds and rain.

Pauline working from home and I will continue also working from home ringing customers.

I hope our great friend Andy is reading and decides to post again.

Take care everyone.

Graham.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, batholiver said:

Very sadly, our trading friends in the EU were converted by us into trading competitors through no choice of their own. As a direct result,  we are no longer able to export our fish quickly enough for it to be fresh and competitive. 

Is the demand in the EU still there when large parts are in lockdown and restaurants closed?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Ditto. We are being offered a lot more choice of fish and shellfish both fresh and frozen, prices are down a bit too.

I was always a French cheese fan but I’ve been trying out British cheeses and have found some really excellent alternatives. Some are not easy to get in a supermarket but ordering on line is relatively easy at the moment, I hope it stays that way post covid restrictions.

• Like 4

On 3/28/2021 at 9:35 AM, AndyMichelle said:

A genuine thank you and goodbye to my friends on this forum, you know who you are. 

We hope to see you in the Crows Nest one day for a cheeky cocktail, mines a planters punch please... 

Andy & Michelle xx

Sorry to read that you're leaving.  Please have a "lurk" in, and hopefully you'll be up for re-joining in when ready.

Best wishes for yourself and Michelle

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Ditto. We are being offered a lot more choice of fish and shellfish both fresh and frozen, prices are down a bit too.

I was always a French cheese fan but I’ve been trying out British cheeses and have found some really excellent alternatives. Some are not easy to get in a supermarket but ordering on line is relatively easy at the moment, I hope it stays that way post covid restrictions.

Had some brie from Somerset for the first time. It won't be the last. Also had a Belgian bun. I don't know where Gregg's import them from🤔

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, batholiver said:

I'm not gonna get involved in the politics of it all.It is what it is now and I'm doing my best to support what we're left with.M&S did an 8 pack of Languastines on Valentine weekend,they were lovely.Queen scallops and fresh mussels in a sauce in Sainsbury's at the moment,lovely jubbly.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Lucky you can have a trip out to Canvey from today. A dish of whelks, or two. Yum,yum🤮😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Lucky you can have a trip out to Canvey from today. A dish of whelks, or two. Yum,yum🤮😂

Don't forget the cokklesheds at Leigh on Sea.We go to Canvey every week now to see our BIL since his wife died just after Christmas.He is 76 so we have formed a care bubble.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Don't forget the cokklesheds at Leigh on Sea.We go to Canvey every week now to see our BIL since his wife died just after Christmas.He is 76 so we have formed a care bubble.

I quite like cockles, but will pass on whelks. Last time I saw Canvey was in Wilko Johnson's documentary.

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I quite like cockles, but will pass on whelks. Last time I saw Canvey was in Wilko Johnson's documentary.

Saw Wilko Johnson about 3 years ago.  We were in a localish pub that does live music pretty much all day on Sundays.  He popped in, played for about half an hour and spent the rest of the evening with his mates at the bar.  Great performer.  He's known for doing that every now and then there.  Lives local.

5 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Saw Wilko Johnson about 3 years ago.  We were in a localish pub that does live music pretty much all day on Sundays.  He popped in, played for about half an hour and spent the rest of the evening with his mates at the bar.  Great performer.  He's known for doing that every now and then there.  Lives local.

Seems like a nice , genuine bloke. Luck to be alive 😁

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Now is a great time to Buy Genuine British Products.

• Like 7