P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

I don't buy any of that French or German muck either.Just Italian,only for a bit of loyalty.Who remembers Paul Masson Californian wine in the 70s.They shipped it over in tankers concentrated like crude oil to be "refined" over here.I didn't know any difference,I was a light and bitter sommelier in those days.

80% of Australian wine is shipped to the U.K. in tanks for bottling here.

29 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Now you are taking me back! How about 'Pia D'or' with the advertising slogan "The French adore the Pia D'or" . No,  they bl**dy didn't.  Awful stuff. And what happened to Blue Nun ? So sweet you could actually feel your teeth rotting away as you drank it!

LOL,German wine is like their sausages,pants.We stayed with my uncle in California for our honeymoon in 1975 and he swore by Mateus Rose,a bit sweet for my taste now but likeable at the time.

Lovely morning here and hopefully the frosts are finished with. Nice surprise, the cows are in the field beyond our garden. They will stay until September. Love it, except when they try to get over the fence. Last year my neighbour had to ring the farmer twice as there were a couple in her garden, no damage though. 

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

80% of Australian wine is shipped to the U.K. in tanks for bottling here.

Is it in concentrate form?Paul Masson was,but as I said it was OK for a Dagenham yob like me.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No, finished wine, ready for bottling.

I thought so.We did wine tasting in Oz AND NZ on a cruise,bloody arm and a leg.It was 50% cheaper in Tesco.Do like NZ sauvignon blanc though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I thought so.We did wine tasting in Oz AND NZ on a cruise,bloody arm and a leg.It was 50% cheaper in Tesco.Do like NZ sauvignon blanc though.

When we did our driving tour of Oz a few years ago, we bought a fair amount of wine at the drive through bottle shops,  to drink in our sc accommodation. Like you, I always begrudged paying more for the wine in Australia than at home in the UK! 

The worst wine that I remember was Blue Nun which my brother-in-law's ex wife used to bring round to our house.  It was like sugar water, OH used to go to the pub to avoid being expected to drink a glass of it.  I am still friends with her but we have an agreement that she won't try to convert me from drinking dry wine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

When we did our driving tour of Oz a few years ago, we bought a fair amount of wine at the drive through bottle shops,  to drink in our sc accommodation. Like you, I always begrudged paying more for the wine in Australia than at home in the UK! 

What made it worse was the GBP was 1.35 at the time and after we came back it jumped to 1.80 odd.

5 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

The worst wine that I remember was Blue Nun which my brother-in-law's ex wife used to bring round to our house.  It was like sugar water, OH used to go to the pub to avoid being expected to drink a glass of it.  I am still friends with her but we have an agreement that she won't try to convert me from drinking dry wine.

I used to like white Lambrusco from Sainsbury’s, but it’s much to sweet for me now 

Morning everyone ,what a lovely morning bright ,sunny but freezing .
I'm not much of a wine lover but didn't mind wine gums when I was a kid . Anyone 
out there who was around two years old remember dancing to Red Red Wine ? 
If so ..UB40 :classic_unsure: I hear that the Talban wine club have a strong dislike for the "white infidel" 
I was watching TV the other night and this woman was getting things that were rubbish
and selling them to other people and making a right profit, so I thought I would give it a go.
They say one mans rubbish is someone's treasure I found a wooden stake with a square piece

of wood attached to it. I thought , I'll try selling it. Wrote for sale on it and stuck it on my front lawn. Wow, just been offered £195k for it! Must be a right set of weirdo's they asked could they have a look around our house before they bought it .  Glad to hear your all getting your haircuts .Some people are on waiting lists and have to fill in loads of paperwork before they are even allowed through the door ,all those perms and conditions .:classic_wink:

Why didn’t the Rastafarian get a haircut? He was dreading it :classic_smile:

Everyone take care and stay safe :classic_love:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

Morning everyone.

4°C with a high of 9°C today.

It was frosty first thing but bright sunshine now.

I rarely drink alcohol now especially with no cruising.

I used to always drink beer but in the last few years before covid19 I would share a bottle of Prosecco or Marlborough New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc with Pauline if we went out for a meal.

We are both working from home today.

Take care everyone Andy too if you are reading.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, brian1 said:

What made it worse was the GBP was 1.35 at the time and after we came back it jumped to 1.80 odd.

At least in Australia many restaurants allowed you to bring your own wine to drink with your meal, BYO was displayed on the restaurant sign.

There was usually a wine store close to the restaurant so it was easy to pick a bottle up on your way to eat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I actually really enjoy Black Tower 😁

Sorry Sarah - no offence meant.  I think Wowzz and I were just reminiscing.  I had nothing against Black Tower in it's day, and drank gallons of it, but I progressed to much drier wines as I got older - rocket fuel!   Now, I don't drink alcohol at all.  It started to disagree with me to the point where even a glass would give me a humungous migraine.  Not worth it these days.  Jane.x

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jennizor said:

Lovely morning here and hopefully the frosts are finished with. Nice surprise, the cows are in the field beyond our garden. They will stay until September. Love it, except when they try to get over the fence. Last year my neighbour had to ring the farmer twice as there were a couple in her garden, no damage though. 

Some years ago when we lived a Wales a neighbour came around in a panic.

We had open fields around all us, she had left her back door open and a Cow was in her kitchen.

Luckily it had not left a calling card when we removed it.

• Like 3