P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Having slowly moved up the size of ships from the sea princess to oasis class for us there is just much more to do on the oasis class. I find the P and O ships just dated. What i mean by that is very little exciting stuff just the usual food, shops, small pools and atrium. So dated as in still being built to a concept from years ago.  Even Iona the coved pool from the pics looks small and small sunbathing area.

Thank goodness --- like someone said earlier, just as well we all like different things.

We have booked on IONA for May 2022 for the itinerary school holidays. Have to say it is not our preferred choice and are not convinced we will like the size of her. (Still miss Oceana 😞 )

BUT we will go, knowing that she is huge and enjoy ourselves.

Re those mega ships that are all bells and whistles that are all about entertainment  - e.g Arvia -- not for us. Good luck to her and all who sail on her though --- just won't be us.

• Like 2

Just now, wowzz said:

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but having a cabin overlooking a "park" on a cruise ship seems bonkers!

I'm on a ship, I want to see the sea!

Yip, the same here. 

Anyway off to watch our Jane again now ...... some people don't like her but she always makes us smile

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but having a cabin overlooking a "park" on a cruise ship seems bonkers!

Absolutely agree, but the big red plastic dog and the big plastic cow above Ben and Jerry's on Indy make a pleasant change of scenery to that grey old sea.🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

We were on Harmony for her first Transatlantic back in 2016. Absolutely loved it, you will have a fab time 

Michelle 

We were on Harmony's second voyage in May 2016 to Cherbourg where there were a few thousand people waving us off at Cherbourg.

We sailed on Harmony again in June and September 2016 out of Barcelona and absolutely loved the ship.

Graham.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I suppose a  10-metre tall carbon fibre giraffe on the aft of a ship  is also

out of the question for you as well ?:classic_unsure: 

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

I suppose a  10-metre tall carbon fibre giraffe on the aft  is out of the question for you as well ?:classic_unsure: 

We like the laid back, understated decor in Britannia and guess Iona will be similar, but the dodgem track on NCL don't look tacky. We never have been down to the ice rink on RC. Being down below the water line and ice seems a bit Titanicesque.🤣

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kalos said:

Ships are designed simple/basic/glitzy/lavish and posh for a reason that being it is 

what we want and the brilliant bit is if you don't like any you simply opt out as there

are plenty of people more than willing to take your place .:classic_smile:

I suspect the Iona is not ready for public viewing yet as Andy and the lads have not

been onboard to fit the carpets yet :classic_unsure:

Not this time Kalos, they were fitted ages ago. 

I dare say I will be on board 'snagging' on our next cruise...😊 

Andy 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We always get a balcony with a sea view and although I wouldn't pick a boardwalk or Central Park balcony because they are overlooked  they are keenly priced compared to an ocean view balcony and Central Park is our favourite area and will be lovely to look down on from their balconies.

Graham.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wowzz said:

i agree. Wouldn’t have one overlooking the middle of the ship. Lack of privacy would annoy me. I have a habit of being starkers 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Thank goodness --- like someone said earlier, just as well we all like different things.

We have booked on IONA for May 2022 for the itinerary school holidays. Have to say it is not our preferred choice and are not convinced we will like the size of her. (Still miss Oceana 😞 )

BUT we will go, knowing that she is huge and enjoy ourselves.

Re those mega ships that are all bells and whistles that are all about entertainment  - e.g Arvia -- not for us. Good luck to her and all who sail on her though --- just won't be us.

oh what itinerary are you doing. Are you going to blog your days on here as well?

16 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We like the laid back, understated decor in Britannia and guess Iona will be similar, but the dodgem track on NCL don't look tacky. We never have been down to the ice rink on RC. Being down below the water line and ice seems a bit Titanicesque.🤣

Watching the professional ice shows on Royal Caribbeans ice rink is a real treat and the shows are always full of spectators.

• Like 6

For us a family of three. A balcony is just too expensive esp as we have to sale during school holidays. But we dont spend much time in the cabin tbh, and i feel safer with daughter not on balcony on own.

Thats the amazing thing with cruising, they have options for all people and budgets. So we always go for a cheaper room on a boat with more to do for the daughter rather than send her off to kids club.

PS just watched jane mcdonald on the princess ship, loved the smart medallion.

Edited by FamilyCruiserUK
  • Like 10

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Watching the professional ice shows on Royal Caribbeans ice rink is a real treat and the shows are always full of spectators.

I agree, it’s amazing. In my opinion Royal cater for everyone, shows, jazz clubs, quiet bars, something for everyone. 
Michelle

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

For us a family of three. A balcony is just too expensive esp as we have to sale during school holidays. But we dont spend much time in the cabin tbh, and i feel safer with daughter not on balcony on own.

Thats the amazing thing with cruising, they have options for all people and budgets. So we always go for a cheaper room on a boat with more to do for the daughter rather than send her off to kids club.

Next year on Sky Princess we have booked an accessible balcony and two adjoining interior cabins(4 adults 4 children) and am I’m sure they will all be fine. We had a virtual balcony on Navigator of the Seas and that was good too.

I have just been watching a couple of videos on YouTube about the smart medallion, looks interesting 

Michelle 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

There have been threads on RC and lots of people like the Boardwalk and Central Park balconies.

There used to be freebies like a bottle of wine and a free meal in Jamie's restaurant on Central Park for people in the inside balconies so worth checking with your TA if they are still doing this for your sailing.

Graham.

10 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I agree, it’s amazing. In my opinion Royal cater for everyone, shows, jazz clubs, quiet bars, something for everyone. 
Michelle

The water shows on the Oasis class are spectacular and the height they dive from is awesome and frightening.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I have never thought of P&O as being particularly stylish, 

Stylish? No, probably not. Just  quiet, relaxing, friendly and comfortable. Well Aurora and Arcadia that is😉

Avril

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

Stylish? No, probably not. Just  quiet, relaxing, friendly and comfortable. Well Aurora and Arcadia that is😉

Avril

All the P&O ships I have been on meet that criteria Avril. They provide a good all round package that we enjoy. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Once again, we agree. This is getting a tad monotonous now wowzz😁 

Avril

41 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

IMO Avril, the big girls are as friendly and comfortable as the tiddlers, and probably a lot more stylish as well. Although if Arcadia had bigger accessible cabins we would probably be happy to cruise on her again, if we could  get a reasonably priced launch offer.

43 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Once again, we agree. This is getting a tad monotonous now wowzz😁 

Avril

Just shows we have similar tastes!

I just don't understand why people want to go on a cruise, and then want to pretend they are in a park, or a circus, or an amusement park. And as for having  a balcony overlooking a public space- just why?

Having said that, if that is what some people want to do, so be it. As is well known, the last cruise I booked is on Azura in March 23, because the price outweighed my reservations about the size of the ship. However, the next cruise I book, for summer 2023 will be on Saga. No gimmicks, and I will feel that I am actually at sea.       

• Like 5

2 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

They are fantastic, in fact all the shows we went too were fab, ice skating, diving, and cats as well. 

If that is what you want, then that is obviously the right cruise line for you. 

I don't want that sort of entertainment,  so won't pay the higher fares that supports those sort of acts.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

The water shows on the Oasis class are spectacular and the height they dive from is awesome and frightening.

But is that important on a cruise ship? Couldn't you just go to a circus?

Graham - not a pop at you - you have cruised enough to make your own decisions,  but I just don't understand why people need to be entertained in this way, apart, of course, from inflating fares!

• Like 1