Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Host Sharon

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Excuse the typing,I couldn't get the lines to stay together.

At least the lines still try to social distance😉. Amazing picture of the hailstones. Your poor tomatoes 🍅🍅

Avril 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting article in the MoS (sorry!) yesterday,  saying that the 2 metre rule, especially outside, is not necessary.

There is no scientific rationale behind the 2 metre rule, and places such as Germany are quite happy with 1.5 metres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Interesting article in the MoS (sorry!) yesterday,  saying that the 2 metre rule, especially outside, is not necessary.

There is no scientific rationale behind the 2 metre rule, and places such as Germany are quite happy with 1.5 metres.

Nobody knows unfortunately.  Here’s an article suggesting that 2 metres is not enough:

 

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-six-feet-enough-social-distancing.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Interesting article in the MoS (sorry!) yesterday,  saying that the 2 metre rule, especially outside, is not necessary.

There is no scientific rationale behind the 2 metre rule, and places such as Germany are quite happy with 1.5 metres.

Boris commented, during his recent inquisition by a commons committee, that he was already asking this question, then at that days daily briefing Vallance (I think) said that at 1 metre you have 24 times more chance of catching the virus than at 2 metres, and therefore 2 metres would stay for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

And when you see all the over-crowded beaches and parks over the weekend, not to mention the prorests in London, the cases will be on the rise again unfortunately. Back to square 1.

Avril 

Getting dressed this morning I thought there must be an agency where all these tv stations go to rent their doom and gloom merchant. Every flipping news channel. I know, I'll have a quick look at cruise critic, that will cheer me up.🚢😁🐬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

That East Coast railway trip is beautiful; similarly the Scottish East Coast from Berwick to Edinburgh

 

Absolutely, I used to work in Glasgow and/or Edinburgh 2/3 times per year and always took the train when most other employees would fly. The sea views from Northumberland upwards are spectacular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

At least the lines still try to social distance😉. Amazing picture of the hailstones. Your poor tomatoes 🍅🍅

Avril 

It was a video which was very impressive,but couldn't download.There was bits of gritty stone inside every hailstone.The car's got a few digs also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Afternoon all. I’ve done my 5 hr stint on my phone and now having my lunch in the garden, making the most of the sun before it supposedly stops on Wednesday. 
 

Good news, no Covid deaths in my local hospitals all weekend (Kent)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had our local plumber out to change the taps in the bathroom, as we’ve been having a few ongoing issues. 2m distancing observed and he cane armed with anti back wipes to wipe down before and after he changed the taps. Paid via bacs, so no faffing trying to get cash out. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 8:59 AM, kruzseeka said:

What a nightmare...........all those people having to be herded together to say nothing of the foolhardy 'jumpers'.   Beaches packed yesterday.   We turned back from a walk because of cars streaming in, parking, unloading and soooo busy.  Clearly come to enjoy the beach and sunshine which is understandable. I'm hoping so much that it's not going to come back to bite us.......  though I'm fearful it will. 

 

(In case you've not seen it in the press, it's a picture of Durdle Door where some youths jumped from the arch injuring themselves so two helicopters landed at each end of the beach so everyone was squeezed into the centre to join the path to get off the beach, )

2052798604_Untitleddesign(32).jpg.gallery(1).jpg.b5118b076e5e49b4ff2ea217ca868c9d.jpg

We used to have an arch like this called Marsden Rock but it collapsed several years ago. I was very sad at the time this has brought back nice memories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 4:01 PM, grapau27 said:

Seahouses and Bambrough Castle too.

The Northumberland coastline is lovely.

All the beaches from Scarborough in Yorkshire up to Seahouses Northumberland about 120 miles are lovely

I wish I could post the photo my daughter took at Seahouses on Thursday. Not another soul on the beach and you could see the Farne Islands in the distance.

I'm quite amazed when I see all the people sitting on piles of rocks down south!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amfc_lenny said:

Paid via bacs, so no faffing trying to get cash out. 

Virtually all the tradesmen we use now prefer this option. Easier for them and for us. The odd one still likes cash, but they seem to be a dying breed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, happy v said:

I wish I could post the photo my daughter took at Seahouses on Thursday. Not another soul on the beach and you could see the Farne Islands in the distance.

I'm quite amazed when I see all the people sitting on piles of rocks down south!

I'd swap the 'amazed' for 'appalled' happy v.  We've kept well clear but apparently the situation yesterday at the beach was horrendous.  Council employees being spat at, huge groups congregating, BBQs, parking everywhere and anywhere,  overnight camping on the beach/cliff top, the rubbish left behind (and what else?) has to be seen to be believed according to the Council Leader who went down on the beach yesterday and painted a grim picture on TV last night.  She has now written to MPs and the Police to ask for travel restrictions to be imposed.  It feels like we are under siege!  Just hope our hospitals don't see an upsurge in a week or two.  🙁

Oh for those lovely, empty Northumberland beaches.  We now walk in the opposite direction to the beach!!!

But we're being philosophical, sensible and hoping for the best!  

(Hope you and yours are well. 😊)

Edited by kruzseeka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy day, our lovely volunteer, has agreed to continue shopping for us, until at least July.

 

I am not happy to go out into the wide world at this stage, 

 

My responsibility lies heavy, and choices are non existent.

 

We are into the 12th week of lock down, but fear that there is still a long way to go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All well thank you.

But your beaches are sandy. I'm talking about the ones which are stones and people still go.

The weathers due to change so that will put an end to it.

Out of curiosity do you usually get so many visitors when it's nice or are there more than usual?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, happy v said:

I wish I could post the photo my daughter took at Seahouses on Thursday. Not another soul on the beach and you could see the Farne Islands in the distance.

I'm quite amazed when I see all the people sitting on piles of rocks down south!

I agree,we tend to social distance better up here.

It's easy to post pictures on here if you want especially with a phone.

Press click to choose files and click on files then click on pictures and click on the photo you want to post then press the tick icon in the top right hand corner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I agree,we tend to social distance better up here.

It's easy to post pictures on here if you want especially with a phone.

Press click to choose files and click on files then click on pictures and click on the photo you want to post then press the tick icon in the top right hand corner. 

She put it on facebook and I don't have a fb account so it's not on my phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mercury7289 said:

Happy day, our lovely volunteer, has agreed to continue shopping for us, until at least July.

 

I am not happy to go out into the wide world at this stage, 

 

My responsibility lies heavy, and choices are non existent.

 

We are into the 12th week of lock down, but fear that there is still a long way to go.

 

You are being sensible and rightly so imo.

I am in no rush to go back to work selling chocolate and sugar confectionery into convenience stores 

I opened all the calls on my area and will ring my customers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, happy v said:

She put it on facebook and I don't have a fb account so it's not on my phone.

She can hold a finger on the photo on her phone and share it with you on WhatsApp,email,SMS etc or she could screenshot it send it that way.

I do this all the time.

 

Edited by grapau27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, happy v said:

All well thank you.

But your beaches are sandy. I'm talking about the ones which are stones and people still go.

The weathers due to change so that will put an end to it.

Out of curiosity do you usually get so many visitors when it's nice or are there more than usual?

On stoney beaches you have the benefit of not getting sand in you spedo's, or sarnies.🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, happy v said:

All well thank you.

But your beaches are sandy. I'm talking about the ones which are stones and people still go.

The weathers due to change so that will put an end to it.

Out of curiosity do you usually get so many visitors when it's nice or are there more than usual?

 

According to what we've heard and from local tv news, locals say they've never seen the beaches so busy and i assume that would include during the Air Show!  Over the summer holidays and weekends when the weather is good, it does tend to get busy, especially near the pier but is nothing like the reports over the last two days.  Our nearest stretch has room for children to play games even at busy times and the ability for very significantly more than 2m distancing.  Even the Council Leader was shocked - I don't think the likes of this has been seen before.  It is usually really quiet outside of school holidays.

I think so many felt they had been let off the leash and made a bee-line for the beach and came from far and wide and having got here, didn't want to ditch their plans.  No one we have spoken to, went anywhere near the beach!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, amfc_lenny said:

Just had our local plumber out to change the taps in the bathroom, as we’ve been having a few ongoing issues. 2m distancing observed and he cane armed with anti back wipes to wipe down before and after he changed the taps. Paid via bacs, so no faffing trying to get cash out. 
 

 

It's the new normal. 

Our floor layers no longer accept cash, who would have thought it... 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the local news tonight, the aftermath of the  visitors to our beaches here in Devon and Cornwall, and on the moors was absolutely disgusting.  Rubbish everywhere, including human waste (yuk), barbecues, never seen anything like it.  So now the locals are having to clear up the mess.  Why are people so disgusting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

On the local news tonight, the aftermath of the  visitors to our beaches here in Devon and Cornwall, and on the moors was absolutely disgusting.  Rubbish everywhere, including human waste (yuk), barbecues, never seen anything like it.  So now the locals are having to clear up the mess.  Why are people so disgusting.

+1.

Why can't they put the rubbish in litter bins or take it home?.

I see litter left on beaches up here too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...