Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

5 hours ago, nordski said:

I've heard retailers who rent expensive retail space on the PATH in Toronto describing the complete  absence of any kind of walk-by traffic that might lead to sales.

Yes, the PATH and the similar system in Montreal are special cases perhaps.

To the cold-uninitiated, these two cities in Canada have large networks of underground passageways/malls, connecting office buildings, stores and shopping centres together.  They are lined with small businesses and food courts.  You can walk from Union Station at the bottom of Toronto right up to College Street, and I believe soon up to Bloor.  But this is all moot, since those networks are stone-cold empty right now.  

There are many business sectors that I feel awful about; this is one of them.

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

https://www.fodors.com/news/photos/if-you-cant-leave-the-united-states-in-2021-visit-here-instead

Check it out, fellow US citizens! And apparently my home city of Burlington is similar to Copenhagen - but I have my doubts!

48 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

https://www.fodors.com/news/photos/if-you-cant-leave-the-united-states-in-2021-visit-here-instead

Check it out, fellow US citizens! And apparently my home city of Burlington is similar to Copenhagen - but I have my doubts!

I hadn’t thought of Copenhagen either, but I’d say that’s a closer match than Paris and New Orleans. 😄

Really good news yesterday - we got an invitation to book our vaccination appointments. We went online and booked appointments for next Tuesday and then for 14 April for the second one. We have to go to York (about 30 miles away) but will be grateful to be a stage nearer ‘freedom’.

• Like 8

That’s fantastic, Denise! In my state, the over 75’s can register on the 25th and start inoculations as soon as the 27th. My DH falls in that category, but I’ll have to wait a bit more. Hopefully we will both be vaccinated by spring though.

Betsey

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Really good news yesterday - we got an invitation to book our vaccination appointments. We went online and booked appointments for next Tuesday and then for 14 April for the second one. We have to go to York (about 30 miles away) but will be grateful to be a stage nearer ‘freedom’.

Great news!

Thanks for keeping us informed.

• Like 1

Happy Belated Birthday - and yes, I'm old enough to remember Arlo, Woodstock and "Alice's Restaurant" playing many nights on the radio while I was studying (or trying to, anyway).  

BTW, did you see who liked your post?

DH and I are scheduled for 1st shots next week (unfortunately not same day).  According to the info, our 2nd shots are scheduled when 1st is given.   Can't wait.

And now that song is going through my head - LOL!

• Like 2

Wow! That is the best birthday gift ever!

The only way it would have been better is if Arlo could convince you that he remembered you in that mass of youthful humanity.

I can’t tell my wife about this because the pressure to match that one would be too great!

Happy birthday!

Maybe I can convince the Sycamore owners that they need to add 4 Adirondak/Muskoka chairs to the Sunset Deck of one of the ships, and we can meet there one evening for several glasses of wine.

Clearly you have stories to tell!

Hope all goes well in your Covid work in Vermont.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, nordski said:

Wow! That is the best birthday gift ever!

The only way it would have been better is if Arlo could convince you that he remembered you in that mass of youthful humanity.

I can’t tell my wife about this because the pressure to match that one would be too great!

Happy birthday!

Maybe I can convince the Sycamore owners that they need to add 4 Adirondak/Muskoka chairs to the Sunset Deck of one of the ships, and we can meet there one evening for several glasses of wine.

Clearly you have stories to tell!

Hope all goes well in your Covid work in Vermont.

I felt really guilty about this secret so I had to share it with my wife.

She immediately exclaimed, “That’s Arlo Guthrie!”

So now I have to somehow match this by July.

Does anyone have connections with Josh Groban? Anyone?

1 hour ago, nordski said:

I felt really guilty about this secret so I had to share it with my wife.

She immediately exclaimed, “That’s Arlo Guthrie!”

So now I have to somehow match this by July.

Does anyone have connections with Josh Groban? Anyone?

Check out “Cameo”. That’s where the Arlo one came from.

3 hours ago, the mice said:

Happy Belated Birthday - and yes, I'm old enough to remember Arlo, Woodstock and "Alice's Restaurant" playing many nights on the radio while I was studying (or trying to, anyway).  

BTW, did you see who liked your post?

DH and I are scheduled for 1st shots next week (unfortunately not same day).  According to the info, our 2nd shots are scheduled when 1st is given.   Can't wait.

And now that song is going through my head - LOL!

Great news about the shots and Bonnie! Maybe she’ll be back!!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Check out “Cameo”. That’s where the Arlo one came from.

Thanks to you and the mice for the referral.

No Josh Groban that I can see, but hey, there is Jann Arden. I will pursue that.

Apparently we will have to buy two pairs of “Bernie Mittens” from Vermont.

They are suitable for formal occasions.

Re: Bernie's mittens and the memes that resulted.

Interesting story about the mittens. I hope it is not paywalled.

I post it here because The WaPo story refers to the "brown and white pattern" on the mittens. 

If I'm not mistaken that pattern is of "fleurs-de-lis", a symbol important to the province north of Vermont.

If so. I could have worn them proudly while out nordic-walking in the -10C weather this morning (we have family connections in Quebec).

However, Mackdogmolly correctly pointed out that the creator has (had?) retired from producing them.

But what a market there might be if/when cruise ships return to the Antarctic and Arctic regions!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nordski said:

Re: Bernie's mittens and the memes that resulted.

Interesting story about the mittens. I hope it is not paywalled.

I post it here because The WaPo story refers to the "brown and white pattern" on the mittens. 

If I'm not mistaken that pattern is of "fleurs-de-lis", a symbol important to the province north of Vermont.

If so. I could have worn them proudly while out nordic-walking in the -10C weather this morning (we have family connections in Quebec).

However, Mackdogmolly correctly pointed out that the creator has (had?) retired from producing them.

But what a market there might be if/when cruise ships return to the Antarctic and Arctic regions!

Here is the link that I neglected to post. Sorry for the confusion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/01/20/bernie-sanders-mittens-inauguration-parka-coat/?utm_campaign=wp_the_optimist&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_optimist

• Like 2

Paging Nordski - maybe this will help with your Josh Groban request.    I saw this in my email from Travelzoo this morning:

https://www.travelzoo.com/local-deals/All/Entertainment/366837/?utm_source=localdeal_us&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2905362_html_-_deal%3a2905362&utm_content=2905362&ec=0&dlinkId=2905362

- Marilyn

1 hour ago, the mice said:

Paging Nordski - maybe this will help with your Josh Groban request.    I saw this in my email from Travelzoo this morning:

https://www.travelzoo.com/local-deals/All/Entertainment/366837/?utm_source=localdeal_us&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2905362_html_-_deal%3a2905362&utm_content=2905362&ec=0&dlinkId=2905362

- Marilyn

Wow!

Thanks so much for this great suggestion!

I will sign up, but is there a danger that my role as resident heartthrob on Valentine’s Day will be seriously eclipsed by Mr. Groban? I certainly can’t match his talent nor his presence.

Am I creating a scenario in which, only by comparison of course, I might be found seriously wanting?

Well, this is no time to lose ❤️, so to speak.

Thanks again for taking the time to post this suggestion. My wife will really appreciate it and thus so will I. 😄

• Like 1

Happy to help.   We  ❤️ Canada and can't wait to be allowed back in.   Will probably be the first place we go once we can safely travel again.

I just got my first vaccine shot (Pfizer) this morning and DH goes Thursday.   Then 3 weeks later for shot 2.   So exciting.  DH said I was like a kid going to her first day of school.  Too funny.

Hope you and your wife enjoy your Valentine's day concert.

• Like 1

We got our first vaccine shot today, the Oxford Astrazenica one. We had to travel to York (about 30 miles away) to the new mass vaccination centre there to get it.

As the UK has decided it is a priority to get the vaccine into as many people as possible, we won’t get our second shot until April.

• Like 3