River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

If one of us got very sick, yes, I'm sure he would.  I think for most people, they can't actually imagine the level of illness that a Covid ICU patient experiences.  Not the details.  Not the fact that most of these people spend WEEKS on a vent, that their organs frequently continue to deteriorate due to the unique way this virus invades the vascular system, that they can spend weeks in delirium even after they come off the vent, not to mention will need significant physical therapy because their muscles have atrophied from disuse.  That all assumes they were lucky enough to survive.  There seems to be a significant portion of patients that have lingering pulmonary issues even among those not sick enough to need a ventilator.

I also think non-medical professionals really can't imagine a health care system that is overwhelmed.  Where you have more sick patients than beds or supplies.  I've not experienced that, per se, but I can extrapolate from some of my worst nights in an inner city trauma center and that feeling of "it's never going to end."

One thing that scares me is that with our record number of cases, it will be up to 2 weeks before anyone infected by those people show up in the stats. And since it takes an average of 28 days to die from date of diagnosis, our fatality rates will peak at least a month from now, and most likely later.  This can only get worse before it gets better.

• Like 1

Germany is doing okay, but there is a loss in reputation in Bulgaria and Romania over the fact that workers in meat factories are treated badly. Most but not all are employed by subcontractors. A small company in Rhineland-Palatinate has all their staff in direct employment for example. The whole meat processing industry is facing consequences. Gütersloh is still a problem. There are now 107 cases in the population outside of Tönnies but most are asymptomatic. The mass testing of several thousand people is showing up those cases. A lot of work for the tracking scouts. Politicians are confident, though, that with the current measures the problem can be contained.

The photo of Bournemouth beach was even in my local newspaper. It is unbelievable. Of course, Germany has seaside resorts. They have reached capacity as regards overnight stays. On Saturday, some municipalities refused entry to day trippers and the entrance roads from the main arteries were blocked off by  police. Checks are easy to accomplish as our number plates clearly show the area where we come from. If you drive around with a car with the letters GT people will not be happy as it means Gütersloh. One man living in Franconia (Bavaria) has felt it first hand as he drives a company car registered in Gütersloh. He is expecting to be stopped by police but his company issued a statement paper for him explaining the situation. Will be fine.

I am not so happy about the situation in Britain. A mix of sadness and annoyance. It is good for people to get off from the island and go to Greece and Spain, but is it good for Greece and what about the Germans in Greece? I know there will be health checks and safety measures but the fear that us Europeans will reinfect each other does not leave me. All the asymptomatic positives in Gütersloh make me wonder about all the other asymptomatic ones.

notamermaid

4 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

I’m sorry I drafted a reply and realised how nasty it sounded so goodby!

You have sounded a little, hhmm - frustrated or exasperated or peeved lately - if I may be forgiven to capture the mood. Hope I have not caused offence. I do wonder if the BBC is not contributing to bias - I do hear of my dear people in Kent and other places being cautious and shielding in the case of two people. With the occasional passing comment about some chaotic moves by those in power. Hope you and the area of Bath are okay.

I have a relative who freaks out at the thought of meeting people indoors, even those she knows well. A bit over the top. Must avoid panic and frenzy. I am alright with anyone as long as they stay away at a distance or I am wearing a mask.

Looking forward to seeing more river cruise ships on the river. Also the English ones. Saw an A-Rosa one last night. Seems all very safe and regulated to me. I think we should have a safe travel corridor from British and American self-isolating sofa occupants to river cruise ship lounges on German and French rivers. Why the Germans to Mallorca!? River cruising friends of the world unite. I am serious. Does anybody have any contacts in CLIA?

notamermaid

Sorry yes extremely frustrated I actually went out In the car last Monday for the first time for three months and drove. Then again last Wednesday with my husband to collect our new glasses that we were tested for - you’ve guessed it three months ago, (the lenses did come from Austria) I’m pleased to say I can still drive hurrah. Evidently we can open and work from our archive after someone other than the archive team does a risk assessment so that won’t be happening anytime soon. 
I've come to the conclusion that the BBC is even more twisted in its reporting and getting worse, when will they realise that it is so easy to gather news from around the world, although some of their in depth reports are still top quality. CA

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

I think we should have a safe travel corridor from British and American self-isolating sofa occupants to river cruise ship lounges on German and French rivers. 

notamermaid

The challenge, in my eyes, is ensuring safe transport to Europe.  Although people may identify as "self isolating sofa occupants", what assurances do we have that this is actually true?  And, even if it is - I somehow doubt that the entire plane is that safe.  All you need is one person who has spent time on a beach, or in a crowd, or in a restaurant (because, even if you do wear a mask - you can't wear it while you eat!!) - and you could have the whole plane affected. 

Not sure of the numbers in the UK, but the numbers in the US are truly frightening. Until they start to flatten, I don't know that I want to be on a cruise with people that have a high potential for bringing Covid along on their holiday.   Of course, this decision may well be taken out of my hands.  Avalon announced this morning that they are suspending operations through September 30th - so my tour starting October 3rd isn't looking good...

Fran

Well, here's a kicker....Canada's two largest airlines are back to packing passengers into every seat. No more spacing them out.

Do I want to sit next to a stranger for a 7 hour flight, even if they are wearing a mask?

RB

25 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

Well, here's a kicker....Canada's two largest airlines are back to packing passengers into every seat. No more spacing them out.

Do I want to sit next to a stranger for a 7 hour flight, even if they are wearing a mask?

RB

They are just following some of the US airlines in making this change. I'm sure the others will follow.

I too am not happy about it; I have to decide whether I'm prepared to fly to Africa (Kenya and Tanzania) in February 2021, which is way more than 7 hours.

10 minutes ago, steamboats said:

I´m gonna give it a try... first flight since February tomorrow and then  7 nights on the Douro river...

steamboats

Guten Flug und viel Spaß. Return healthy and with a camera full of photos.

notamermaid

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Guten Flug und viel Spaß. Return healthy and with a camera full of photos.

notamermaid

Thanks... I´m known of being able to take 2,500 plus photos in less than 48 hours 😂 - o.k., that´s Oasis Class ships by Royal Caribbean International... Maybe not that many photos on a river cruise ship...😉 but wait, app. 900 taken during the two nights I´ve been there for the naming ceremony last year (and we weren´t even sleeping onboard as the boat wasn´t finished yet). Porto is such a beautiful city with zillions of photo opps!

steamboats

• Like 1

Here in Canada's capital city there are encouraging signs: yesterday registered zero new virus cases and zero deaths with just one person in hospital. We can gather in groups of 10 preferable out doors, public pools and campgrounds are open, child care locations are operating with limits and the same with shopping malls. Next week I get my first hair cut since February. 😀

For a city of just a million we have really worked hard and long at bending this curve and we are feeling encouraged but very cautious at the same time.  Just spent an absolutely great half hour going through river cruise sites just for a bit of a normal activity.  Better days ahead I am sure.  I would like  to wish a very Happy Canada Day to all Canadian river cruisers. Stay healthy and safe everyone.

• Like 4

Happy Canada Day to you also Bake apple.  Yes, those were encouraging signs out of Ottawa.  We were in Kingston today (short trip through, tried not to breath 🙂) and they are still crowding around, also in various parks along the Seaway.  Our little area (as far as I know) didn't have any cases, but it's been worrying as people travel frequently between both cities.

Enjoy the haircut, I will probably get a trim in August (long hair has it's good points), so hopefully by then the salons will be more normal for appointments.

Some good news (I guess) to report today, even if it will only be temporary.  For the first time since late March, the province of Ontario has 0 deaths from Covid.  They have been keeping the cases below 200 for a week or so (had one day where the numbers went over I believe, but other than that, they are generally below).  

Also, to go along with the cities of Toronto and Kingston, and some other counties, the city of Ottawa and all of Eastern Ontario are making masks mandatory as of Tuesday.  Hoping this means we can soon go to Stage 3 and be almost fully open.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Also, to go along with the cities of Toronto and Kingston, and some other counties, the city of Ottawa and all of Eastern Ontario are making masks mandatory as of Tuesday.  Hoping this means we can soon go to Stage 3 and be almost fully open.

Durham Region announced this morning that masks will be mandatory here as of Friday.  Guess I shouldn't be surprised - we border Toronto...

Just wish people would wear masks properly - and also continue to practice social distancing.  Don't know why people forget that distancing is the most important part of managing this pandemic...

Fran  

• Like 1

Unfortunately here in Melbourne we have been having a second wave with spikes happening in various suburbs.  We tried locking down the specific suburbs where the problem was at its worst, then we tried locking down specific high rise buildings.

Things have continued to spiral out of control so as from tomorrow night we are back to full lock down, just as we had back in March at the start of all this.

We are the only state in this situation, and every other state has locked their borders against us.  Most Melburnians are very angry how this was botched by the government as we had zero new cases for a couple of days only one month ago, now we are back to 200 or so per day.  Having said that, we will of course do as we are told once more.

We have made it to Maine for our annual vacation.  Got tested for Covid [negative, as expected] but NYers were exempted from the test requirement right as we were having our nasal passages probed.  We had the lightest traffic ever on the way up, and every motel has its Vacancy sign out.  Went to dinner last night at a restaurant with lots of outdoor tables (full) and about half as many indoor tables as in prior years (also all full).  Hiked in Acadia National Park – more hikers than we expected, but we were on a 'baby' trail for our warm-up hike.  Here's a picture from the deck of our cottage:

IMG_0725.jpg

• Like 4

Looks lovely Jazz, fingers crossed we’ll be able to holiday at our place in Scotland in September. Today will be very exciting I have managed to get a hairdressing appointment with my hairdresser, so my shaggy dog hair do will be gone for a while. Keep well all and keep washing your hands! CA