River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

Ah, yes. The pharmaceutical companies, forgot to mention that. As a result of the restructuring of the BioNTech/Pfizer plant in Belgium, the production and delivery of their vaccine has slowed down. As a result of that, vaccination in Germany has slowed down.

BioNTech will build an additional factory in Marburg, Germany, but this will not be before Autumn.

Now I have literally just read the headline that AstraZeneca is reporting problems. Do not know what.

My elderly relative told me when she spoke again to the doctor that had vaccinated her, he jokingly told her she is one of the privileged. It is all bitter and sweet of course. Wish we could get the population over 60 done very quickly. We may have a chance of getting river cruising back faster.

Belgium has just closed the country to entry for non-essential travel, anybody still have any hope for tulip cruises? I am sceptical, the Netherlands may follow suit to Belgium.

@Canal archive it is made even worse by the fact that it happened shortly before Christmas and Brexit. For me it adds sadness and worry about my dear people in Kent. There is this rather unpleasant thought that I may not even see them in Summer.

By the way, if you could send over a charter plane full of Wensleydale cheese, sausage rolls and chipolata sausages, I would be much obliged. And please include the latest BBC history magazine in the delivery.

notamermaid

This was just sent to me from Tripadvisor:

Dear traveler,
Are you considering an international trip? If so, read on. The CDC has issued a COVID-19 order that may impact your plans for re-entering the United States.
Effective January 26, 2021 travelers arriving in the U.S. must:
1) Get tested for COVID-19 no more than 3 days before departing to the United States and show a negative test result to the airline before boarding OR 2) show documentation of recent recovery from COVID-19 to the airline before boarding.
This new order applies to all air passengers — including U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents — aged 2 years and older. It also applies regardless of the length of time spent outside of the United States.
Acceptable documentation of recovery from COVID-19 includes both a positive viral test result within 3 months of travel (or the time period specified in current CDC guidance) AND a letter from a healthcare provider or public health official stating that the passenger is cleared to end isolation.
Passengers who have tested positive for COVID-19 will need to delay their travel until they meet the criteria to end isolation; learn more here.
Need more information? Visit this FAQ page at CDC.gov.

Notamermaid you’ve been watching to much Wallace and Gromit but yes a really  nutty piece of Wensleydale would be very nice next time I’m in Bath I’ll see if Paxton and Whitfield have any. DH says you’ve got fantastic sausages and so don’t need any chipolata’s must admit I prefer them for breakfast.

We’ve just hit 6 million vaccinated and 1/2 million 2nd jabs. Only 60 million to go. Although sceptical me isn’t to sure if it’s true. CA

@scottjeanne, I would have no clue where to go in a foreign country to get a Covid test, and shudder to think what it would cost.  It's not easy to get one where I live, and I'm a resident and citizen. I wonder if the airlines or US embassies will provide any information or guidance?

25 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

The Travel Smart - Canada app under health has links to find testing sites (since we have had the test within 72 hour rule in place since early January).

We also have to file a quarantine plan before boarding as well.  I'm wondering if the rumours are right about making travellers pay for their own hotel rooms to quarantine in now.  I really wouldn't mind...if you can afford a holiday + 2 weeks off work on top, you can afford to pay to quarantine.  Especially when it has been requested not to travel.

1 hour ago, Roz said:

@scottjeanne, I would have no clue where to go in a foreign country to get a Covid test, and shudder to think what it would cost.  It's not easy to get one where I live, and I'm a resident and citizen. I wonder if the airlines or US embassies will provide any information or guidance?

Consider yourself somewhat lucky. I have testing at my work place for a reason.....

Waiting for my appointment hopefully my DH and I can sort a joint appointment we will most probably go to our doctors second surgery which is a vaccination local hub. We don’t have to pay due to our NHS system. (Basically the cost of the National Health Service is part of our tax system.) Let’s hope the vaccination system works and we can all be a lot happier. CA

38 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Waiting for my appointment hopefully my DH and I can sort a joint appointment we will most probably go to our doctors second surgery which is a vaccination local hub. We don’t have to pay due to our NHS system. (Basically the cost of the National Health Service is part of our tax system.) Let’s hope the vaccination system works and we can all be a lot happier. CA

In the US - the government is picking up the cost of the vaccine also.

1 hour ago, Second seating said:

NH is now in phase 1B and I was able to schedule my first shot for Friday!!!!

Second seating

I am in 1B also...... My county is still doing 1A Health Care workers. This is so frustrating.

We initially were told we would get the vaccine the first week in January. Now, our Governor is limiting percentages to certain groups in 1B (90% is going to one group, 10% to another group). More to come in our area.

Glad you got yours scheduled!

29 minutes ago, Coral said:

In the US - the government is picking up the cost of the vaccine also.

When we received our initial shots in Florida yesterday they did ask for Medicare part B or private insurance information.  I don’t know what would have happened if we didn’t have one or the other.

36 minutes ago, capriccio said:

When we received our initial shots in Florida yesterday they did ask for Medicare part B or private insurance information.  I don’t know what would have happened if we didn’t have one or the other.

Interesting. I could be wrong. Do you think it is a tracking thing?

Glad you got it!

1 minute ago, texasstar said:

I suspect it is so they can bill for Medicare for the administration of the injection. 

I think you are right - from CDC:

Is the COVID-19 vaccine going to be free?

Vaccine doses purchased with U.S. taxpayer dollars will be given to the American people at no cost. However, vaccination providers will be able to charge an administration fee for giving the shot to someone.

9 hours ago, Daisi said:

We also have to file a quarantine plan before boarding as well.  I'm wondering if the rumours are right about making travellers pay for their own hotel rooms to quarantine in now.  I really wouldn't mind...if you can afford a holiday + 2 weeks off work on top, you can afford to pay to quarantine.  Especially when it has been requested not to travel.

Here in Melbourne, Australia, we have had compulsory hotel quarantine for many months.  I think it is in all of Australia now.

You do have to pay, I believe it is $3000 AUD for a single person, or $5000 AUD per couple.  I think children are an extra $1000 each.  It is quite a lot of money to be locked in a single hotel room in some not very nice hotels.

I totally agree if people chose to travel, but we have had our borders closed since last March, so only high ranking business execs or the famous can travel here.  Those using our quarantine are Aussies trying to get home, so it seems quite harsh.

I expect the gathering of details is also to keep track of where the vaccines have gone.

On a lighter note we have snow about 2 inches (5cm) not an every year occurrence for us and certainly not as much. The dogs and kids are out and a few adults wish I could go sledging again. CA

Here in Germany the federal government pays for the vaccines as received by the manufacturer, negotiated through the European Union. Logistics and on the ground medical details, like paying for vaccination centres set-up, is a joined thing of the Länder governments and the health insurances.

Saw the short and brutal news about the problems with AstraZeneca on Deutsche Welle yesterday. Several European countries are not happy at all and Italy is considering legal action. Why both BioNTech and AstraZeneca are producing in Belgium I do not know. They both appear to struggle honouring their original contracts with the EU.

Mixed rain and snow in the air here, so a short trip "up the hill" this afternoon will hopefully give me the sight of lovely snow.

notamermaid

Winter has finally decided to pay us a visit, which I am fine with as we are in a "do not leave your house unless necessary" request - note - not order...police will not enforce it unless they break up a party.  Woke up this morning to -30C, and we now have about 1 foot of snow.  Everyone is out making snow families, it's becoming a competition I think.

Canadians are also upset about the vaccine shortage, we are not receiving any at all this week from Pfizer.  I hope they get enough to maintain the order, we have some who have received their first dose and will need the second one soon.  We are supposed to get more in Feb., but...  Pfizer says they are working on their plant , I wonder if they all promised more than they could produce or source?

@djh1959, you say you still have Australian's trying to return?  Are these ones who have been out of the country since the start, or left after?  We had provided quarantine shelters initially for residents returning in the spring (flight & lodging pd for by the government), but some are still travelling outside the country for holidays.  They figure they should still be able to head south for vacations, and these are the people who could possibly get charged for accommodations when they return. They were claiming the "sick benefit" we could get from the government if we had to either self quarantine or look after someone who was quarantined to cover the quarantine they had to do after the holiday, but that got cut off pretty quickly.

I have heard today that not only Brazil has a dire situation but also Bolivia is doing very badly. The country hardest hit in Europe right now is Portugal. I think we can forget starting the season there in March. The incidence rate is over 700, around double of the UK's. We have an outbreak in a Berlin hospital and 500 people at the airbus factory in Hamburg are in quarantine. In Flensburg we now have the UK variant in significant numbers.

Germany is the first country in Europe to allow the treatment with the monoclonal antibodies (the ex-presidents treatment) for the elderly and vulnerable. Tons of money for what seems a desperate measure, probably in light of the fact that vaccine production has slowed down. But I am sure I am too negative. The EU is increasingly getting annoyed with the pharmaceutical companies. 

I think I need to right down the passwords I need at work. By the time I finally get back I will probably have forgotten them.

What a bleak Sunday.

notamermaid

Massachusetts which has some of the world's best medical facilities is performing poorly vaccine-wise.  We have the lowest vaccination rate of the 6 New England states, and we don't even have a central website for vaccine sign-ups.  Family in NH went online, registered, and they were given an appointment.  Similar disorder in RI, where my 90 yr old mother should be at the front of the line, but nobody seems to know anything!

@sharkster77 I am sorry to hear that. There was some reporting on the news the other day that distribution in the US was not well planned on the lower logistics level. Our problem is of course that the logistics work well know but we have not much left to distribute.

I really hope you get it sorted for your mum, this might call for some vaccine tourism - it seriously is a newly coined word in German, "Impftourismus" means you travel the boundaries of your administrative area to sneak into another one to get your jab. (Not wanting to help in illegal behaviour of course, I mean perhaps you can claim some failure of the other state and help your mum in your state)

notamermaid

10 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

@sharkster77 I am sorry to hear that. There was some reporting on the news the other day that distribution in the US was not well planned on the lower logistics level. Our problem is of course that the logistics work well know but we have not much left to distribute.

We have problems with quantities also. States had no clue how much they would get and were often told wrong numbers. Many of us have been told various time frames for vaccines but when the state didn't get enough, it couldn't happen.