River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

Here in Ontario (and Canada in general I believe) we are being supplied with Pfizer vaccine from the plant in Belgium which is slowing down to gear up to produce more. 

In Ontario no one in the general public is supposed to have been vaccinated yet (there are a few who have been) but there is really no timeline as to when it will go beyond front line health workers and long term care residents and their caregivers. I'm not sure whether I am in phase 2 (which is supposed to include seniors  - in younger 5 year blocks beginning with those 80+ - and those with health issues - I'm not sure whether mine qualify, but by the time they get to them I might already be a senior) or whether I will be relegated to the phase 3 which is everyone else.

We seem to be well behind most of the developed world in percentage of population vaccinated.

There is some vaccine tracker online that monitors the world. I looked at it and decided it was too frustrating to follow. Everyone is behind Israel by a lot. Although the UK is catching up. But I am really not going to follow it. I found the official German website "vaccinations administered" bar for each day being lower than the previous frustrating enough. We are so desperate with our nine countries land borders that Germany has introduced a new risk countries criteria. Naturally not everyone likes that and the commuters from the Czech Republic are a bit annoyed about having to turn up on Monday morning at work with a negative test. We have even restricted border crossings to Switzerland. The EU is still shying away from the dreaded "blanket closure of internal borders".

notamermaid

For US citizens and anyone interested in the vaccine rollout in the US, the Washington Post has a daily on-line article tracking the numbers by state.  It is free (not behind the paywall):  https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/health/covid-vaccine-states-distribution-doses/?itid=hp_pandemic test.

The article includes a summary table for all states and the District of Columbia that lists the number of people who have received the first dose, percentage of the population that has received the first dose, and percentage of the population that has completed vaccination.

The information for each state is more detailed. This is today's entry for Florida:

image.png.45ba9827fd83473e6b20b71c8b24f243.png

• Like 2

There is a story in the Boston Globe today about the company that the state of MA has hired to distribute vaccine.  It didn't even exist at this time last year, but is raking in the dough doing a poor job.

They were chosen allegedly because their parent company is "into logistics".  Seems that there must be more to this story.  I guess if you're into logistics, building a website is beyond your scope.

On 1/25/2021 at 1:25 AM, Daisi said:

@djh1959, you say you still have Australian's trying to return?  Are these ones who have been out of the country since the start, or left after?  We had provided quarantine shelters initially for residents returning in the spring (flight & lodging pd for by the government), but some are still travelling outside the country for holidays.  They figure they should still be able to head south for vacations, and these are the people who could possibly get charged for accommodations when they return. They were claiming the "sick benefit" we could get from the government if we had to either self quarantine or look after someone who was quarantined to cover the quarantine they had to do after the holiday, but that got cut off pretty quickly.

The vast majority are people trying to return I believe.  Our borders have been shut since March 2020 for outward travel, unless of course for compassionate or business reasons when you need to obtain an exemption.  I very much doubt anyone would have got one for a holiday.

I was initially quite resentful that during the northern hemisphere summer, Europeans and North Americans seemed to be able to travel at will and we could not.  Now I look at how well things are going here, compared to there, and I am sort of grateful.  

As for vaccinations, we have finally got approval for the vaccine and the plan was to start mid-February, but due to delays this has already been pushed back to late February at the earliest, before the very first get vaccinated.  I expect this is going to be a long, long process unfortunately.

@djh1959 it is probably a good idea to have such strict rules for entry and exit of people to and from your country. We in the European Union are in a row with a pharmaceutical company now and are not happy with the UK and have introduced borders among ourselves again. That means the current situation has overruled the idea of free travel within the EU. Of course you still can go anywhere you like theoretically but border checks and special treatment for those crossing a border for work are back. Who does what is too complicated to follow, but as an example: I can travel to England in the car and quarantine there, but I cannot go there through Belgium as that country will not allow entry to foreigners with a leisure reason of travelling. 

This is the AstraZeneca problem: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55805903

There is the report in a German business newspaper of the AstraZeneca vaccine not being very effective in older people, but for the time being, this has not been verified and AstraZeneca denies such claims. Will need to see how that story develops. Perhaps we will hear more about that from the approval process in the EU.

There is fear of sabotage and cyberattacks against vaccination centres and vaccine producers. It is probably best not to ponder over some people's lives and ambitions...

Still no idea what is happening at my workplace. The first time I meet a proper tourist again, I envisage myself screaming in delight or crying out of relief of having some normalcy back.

notamermaid

According to an expert from the Cranford Institute very early on the team from the U.K. negotiated on delivery not on price and the EU teams negotiated on price. The U.K. lot also realised that there could potentially be a shortage of containers so set the production of more of these up in Wrexham Wales. So we could be paying more for the same product that the EU has not okayed yet, bye now pay later in more ways than one. I also have sneaking feeling that this may also be a by product of Brexit. Still there will be so many different stories some interesting some a load of tosh. CA

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Just had the phone call both husband and myself booked in for our COVID jabs this coming Friday and we are both early to mid 70’s. CA

Very good! In Bath Abbey or mundane setting?

The German health ministry has now officially denied the claims of the AstraZeneca vaccine not being very effective in older people. They say information must have got mixed up in the media. The medical data is good for older people. All sorted with that info it seems.

notamermaid

Here in North Texas, my husband and I just got notified first shot tomorrow.  We signed up online on the 8th and were 14,400 on the list (now list over 100,000), the list is for 65 and older and people that have severe health conditions. My mother in California is still waiting.  She's 92 and is not able to stand in line all day for the shot and lives in independent living. Each state is so different (and county here in North Texas too).

@djh1959the Canadian Govt paid for planes to bring people back when they closed the borders, and also had living quarters for them to quarantine in.  Most Canadians who are out of the country are ones who were working abroad and chose not to come home, students or travellers.

It's the travellers who are upsetting everyone, as we weren't really even supposed to travel outside our province (some provinces even had their borders closed), yet politicians and those who feel they have the right have travelled south for winter holidays.  It's those people that the Govt is warning that things are about to change and you shouldn't travel.

Not Bath abbey but our local medical groups second surgery not fancy but functional.

Daisi so many people consider themselves entitled look at the gatherings in Chelsea and Kensington I feel sorry for the police having try to stop them and run the chance of catching COVID.

CA

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanations everyone.

We will not even start vaccinating until late February, and I doubt that will really happen with the shortages that are starting now.

My husband and I are in our 60s, so presumably will have a very long time to wait.

Good luck to you all.

This is the AstraZeneca boss explaining why we’ve got the vaccine and running with it and the EU hasn’t. 
From what I can see every country has done something right and every country has got something wrong it’s not a perfect world and as long as we can eventually all sort ourselves out we can get back to cruising.

I hope you all raised a glass on Monday evening for Burns night how many of you had Haggis? CA

Coronavirus: AstraZeneca defends EU vaccine rollout plan https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55817633

Massachusetts opened up the portal at midnight for those 75 and over.  It was apparently like trying to get hot concert tickets----spots got snatched up in minutes, the system got bogged down, and those who waited until this morning to log on are all out of luck.  After a minute or so EVERY vaccination site showed "no appointments available".  At this rate it will take TOO LONG to get everyone immunized.  Wife and I are in the next group----can't wait................

If you really want to get both depressed and enraged, check out the online article at the Boston Globe.

We have an anniversary today in Germany. It was one year ago that the first person in Germany tested positive for Coronavirus.

If you want a recap of how the situation evolved from there, here is an article by Deutsche Welle: https://www.dw.com/en/how-covid-changed-germany-one-year-on/a-56350430

Today it was announced that Sanofi Pasteur will help with bottling and packing the BioNTec/Pfizer vaccine at its Frankfurt production plant (BioNTec has its headquarters in Main but the vaccine is made in Belgium) from July: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccines-sanofi/sanofi-to-help-produce-100-million-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-doses-idUSKBN29V23Y

Oh, and Germany is thinking of halting air travel for leisure, but that at the moment is not a given. But I certainly regard it as a possibility. Finland has already been quite strict with the new entry rules for their country.

The Dutch meanwhile are going berserk about their curfew. The English have clandestine raves (we probably do in Germany as well, but I have not heard of any yet).

It is going to be interesting... Especially should the lock down end in Germany on 14 February, the Carnival weekend. Apparently, the highest of feast days :classic_wink: in Cologne, that is Rose Monday, is supposed to have been declared a normal working day according to a German newspaper. If this is true, then that is something to moan and protest about. But do the Kölner complain? No, lovely well-behaved people they are. :classic_smile:

Now, if my local baker has decided not to bake Mutzen this year, I shall be very annoyed and complain!! Don't worry I won't but I will be sad and try to bake them myself instead.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
grammar

We now have to prove our journey is essential so no holidays anywhere.

Covid: Would-be travellers must prove journey is essential - Patel https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55821702

This one could be a challenge

Coronavirus: EU demands UK-made AstraZeneca vaccine doses https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55822602

Interesting CA

That whole AstraZeneca EU row is not pretty. Fortunately, both parties seem to realize that themselves. BBC says today that they are working on a solution.

I also read that the new variant appears to make people produce a slightly higher virus load that they then spread. The symptoms catalogue has slightly shifted towards more fatigue and muscle pain reported. Cannot link the article - something wrong with my smartphone settings.

Here is some information for the doctors. I read this a couple of weeks ago, not sure if this has been followed up in the media: small children can present skin rashes, similar to allergic reactions, when they have Covid-19. A nurse in the UK collected data from other families privately. Makes sense when you think of children's diseases and the many skin reactions there. I wonder how this is monitored in other countries. I have not read any such reports in German. Probably just have not seen them in the laymen's realm.

Weather really boring and unpleasantly wet here in the valley. Along the Upper Rhine now awaiting the flooding and seeing how bad it will get.

notamermaid

Breaking news here in the media: the German authorities affiliated health institute recommends the AstraZeneca vaccine be only given to the under-65's, citing insufficient/confusing data for the efficacy in older people. How will the EU react to that tomorrow when they discuss approval? There may well be more data available to the EMA. Will see.

Edit: my info about the new facilities in Marburg is outdated. BioNTech can actually start producing there in some weeks time, not in Autumn.

And we have finally had some really notable success for some time. The incidence rate of infections has fallen to just under 100. The last time it was so low was on 29 October.

Aim is still to be under 50. With the new variants probably still a long way to go.

I think I will go and hibernate till Spring Equinox.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Corrected info

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Here is some information for the doctors. I read this a couple of weeks ago, not sure if this has been followed up in the media: small children can present skin rashes, similar to allergic reactions, when they have Covid-19. A nurse in the UK collected data from other families privately. Makes sense when you think of children's diseases and the many skin reactions there. I wonder how this is monitored in other countries. I have not read any such reports in German. Probably just have not seen them in the laymen's realm.

notamermaid

Kids can present in a number of ways. Hives, as you have noted. "Covid toes," diarrhea. And often something as innocent as "loss of appetite" (Because they've lost their sense of smell) 

Robin

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, acwmom said:

Kids can present in a number of ways. Hives, as you have noted. "Covid toes," diarrhea. And often something as innocent as "loss of appetite" (Because they've lost their sense of smell) 

Robin

Oh, interesting. Not eating well, because it tastes of cardboard or basically nothing. And they would not be able to express it as such being too young to understand or even talk. That is tricky. A good thing to bear in mind for parents.

notamermaid

Yesterday was our turn.  DH and I got our first dose.  Our county health dept. here in Ohio was soooo organized. From leaving home to returning was about an hour.  They used a vocational school that has recently been replaced.  Plenty of parking and good storage for the Pfizer vaccine.

No side effects except for sore arm. Received my shot from a retired oral surgeon.  Hopefully after the end of February we should be able to see our great grands who live about 5 miles from here.  Haven't seen them since last June.  Better days coming.  Stay safe and well. Pat

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, acwmom said:

Robin

It is so hard to diagnose children - especially those who can't talk.

Just before Christmas our 16 month old granddaughter (who attends a day care center that has had no cases of covid) woke up with diarrhea and a fever.  Other than a cold or two this was the baby's first illness and given that she is a first child, her parents didn't have any frame of reference on how serious or not it might be.  They immediately called the pediatrician who instructed them to use over the counter meds to bring down the fever and if it spiked or she wasn't better in 2 days to bring her in for a covid test.  The next morning no improvement and she had lost her appetite.  When the doctor heard that they were immediately instructed to bring her in.  The staff met them in the parking garage and gave her both the quick test and the PCR test while she was strapped into her car seat.  According to mom, baby and mom didn't handle it very well.  In grandma's opinion, keeping her in the car seat was a stroke of genius.  Luckily the quick test was negative so they returned home and continued to give her the meds to bring down the fever.  After two more days she started to feel much better and the PCR test came back negative.  They had a lot to celebrate at Christmas.

Just announced for Canada : All international travellers not only have to have a 72 hr test, but another one upon landing at one of the 4 approved airports.  Then they will have to stay in an approved hotel at their own expense (estimated about $2000.00) until they get a negative test, where they will finish out their quarantine as filed in their plan.

Major airlines (and holiday airlines) will be cancelling all flights to the Caribbean destinations and Mexico until April 30.