River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

12 hours ago, franski said:

My daughter calls us "wimps" when we complain about weather like this... She is in Northern Manitoba - where the weather is often -29C *without* the windchill...  

Fran

She wins!!  As soon as it is warm enough to go to the post office I will mail her my extra duvet, ski mittens and month supply of my Air Activated Charcoal Instant Hand Warmers paks (available only to Canadians who go outside in -29C  wind chill 😵) . BTW: I have heard that Winnipeg is pronounced as "Winterpeg" is some areas.

9 hours ago, Bake apple said:

She wins!!  As soon as it is warm enough to go to the post office I will mail her my extra duvet, ski mittens and month supply of my Air Activated Charcoal Instant Hand Warmers paks (available only to Canadians who go outside in -29C  wind chill 😵) . BTW: I have heard that Winnipeg is pronounced as "Winterpeg" is some areas.

Yup...  We call it Winterpeg.  She is ok - as her loving parents bought her a Canada Goose Parka when she moved north.  She was only supposed to be there for 2 years (she is a teacher...) - but is now in her 5th year, so the parka has gotten lots of use!!

Fran

P.S.  She has had days with the wind chill where she was dealing with -40C!!  Better woman than me...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, franski said:

P.S.  She has had days with the wind chill where she was dealing with -40C!!  Better woman than me...

So I had to look this up in Fahrenheit and it is also -40. Maybe those who understand conversions like this are not surprised.

We will be -9 one night this week. I don't know what the wind chill will be like.

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Yes, -40 is where the F and C scales intersect. Frigid, no matter how you measure it!

Though - do conversions work when you are dealing with wind chill? Any meteorologists on this board?

I had no idea there was a temp where the F and C scales intersect. Pretty cool.

On 1/29/2021 at 11:41 AM, Canal archive said:

Just got home from having our jabs, Phizer so hopefully there will be no import problems when it comes to getting our second jab. CA

On the same day as our beautiful eldest daughter has tested positive for this dreaded disease.

Sure hoping your DD has a light case of the virus.

On 1/30/2021 at 1:46 PM, Canal archive said:

Talking to friends around the country different areas seem to be working different systems a lot seem to be favouring the phone call from their usual surgery as there getting through the vaccinations faster then they at first thought. We had the Pfizer and the lady performing the operation said that as long as everyone followed the specifications for the vaccine it was as straight forward to use as others. 
I’d put in a bid for our wonderful delivery people to be included on the list of people to get early vaccination there all trying their hardest at the moment. Our milkman also delivers various foodstuffs a little more expensive than the supermarket but fresher and exactly what I ask for. CA

I love that you have a milkman! Is this a regular delivery option that brings very fresh dairy?

As they say in the olden days we had daily milk deliveries now we are far more modern but we’ve also got fridges and bigger bottles so twice a week, email them for any extras pay by BACS and all really fresh. I’m not sure if all over the U.K. but it’s fine in the wilds of Wiltshire. CA

2 hours ago, doobieb said:

Is there a temperature at which schools automatically close? I can imagine a scene with all the kiddos round as little balls in parkas and layers of wool......

The only time our schools close here is for Covid.  Even in severe snow storms, they will pull the buses off the road (and lately have been doing so for those -40C days), but the schools stay open.  When I was growing up, we walked to one school to pick up a bus for ours.  If the weather was bad (snowy), we had "play days" in the gym.  The odd time, my Mom would keep us home, but even if we were in our January freeze, we walked.

It's mostly just in the rural areas where they pull the buses off for the cold weather.  There were a few incidents where the bus broke down and kids were sitting in the cold bus on the side of the road for a while until another bus could pick them up.

@Coralwind chill is actually worse than the "normal" temp. We have had -40 regular temps, but with no wind, you are cold but don't feel it as bad. With a wind, it is much worse.  It's like humidity,  the other year we had temps in the 30's with no humidity and couldn't believe the difference.

6 minutes ago, Daisi said:

@Coralwind chill is actually worse than the "normal" temp. We have had -40 regular temps, but with no wind, you are cold but don't feel it as bad. With a wind, it is much worse.  It's like humidity,  the other year we had temps in the 30's with no humidity and couldn't believe the difference.

I live in an area that gets really low temps and really low wind chills. I know it feels worse. I just remember a friend telling me once when it comes to freezing - it goes off of the normal temps and not wind chill temps. I have no clue if the this true. I didn't know how that would relate when translating between C and F. If it only works on actual temps or if it works on wind chill also.

@Coral, according to our forecasters, unless you are out of the wind, you should prepare for the wind chill factor.  Switching from C to F is no different.  We get frostbite warnings at -29 (no wind chill), but if there is a wind chill, the warning goes out for that temp.  Yes, water will freeze at 0C, not a wind chill of 0, however that is a different thing all together.   Wind chill is a feels like temp, so if it feels like -40 it feels the same in C or F.    Hope that helps.

@AF-1, we are having a very mild winter this year, only had a couple of cold days.  Not much snow either, so it's actually quite good.  We are used to it, we go "south" to Toronto for a winter break.  At least we used to, no travelling here with Covid.

• Like 1

Today is a bit brighter here, only as regards weather, though. River levels stagnating more or less or still rising in some areas. More rain and snow to come.

Germany is considering using the Russian and Chinese vaccines, condition is transparency and sharing of data by the countries and the EU will look at them. Not sure if that means emergency use or full approval.

Vaccine summit went alright, not much there as regards new info, but the exchange of info and explanations of the manufacturer's was apparently helpful for the politicians.

Lock down extension in Germany looking more likely now. Austria will ease a bit, I think from next week. Which means they will see more cars with German registration number...

Tomorrow is "Weiberfastnacht", the day for the women to celebrate Carnival - not happening this year. I normally do not participate anyway, but now that it is not happening, it means I miss it, it just should be there.

notamermaid

42 minutes ago, Daisi said:

@Coral, according to our forecasters, unless you are out of the wind, you should prepare for the wind chill factor.  Switching from C to F is no different.  We get frostbite warnings at -29 (no wind chill), but if there is a wind chill, the warning goes out for that temp.  Yes, water will freeze at 0C, not a wind chill of 0, however that is a different thing all together.   Wind chill is a feels like temp, so if it feels like -40 it feels the same in C or F.    Hope that helps.

Ok - that is what I was getting at. For us, water will only freeze at 32 degrees F. 

We have very low temps coming which will probably put our wind chill around -30 F or so coming up. We have really cold winters. Probably not as cold as places in Canada though.

• Like 1

Not a meteorologist but I do have a passing understanding of the science behind wind chill. It is an artificial equivalent temperature that only applies to objects that are warmer than the surrounding air. There is no universal formula because it's an oversimplification of a very complex process.

When you have a warm object exposed to cooler air, the warm object loses heat to the colder object until they are both the same temperature. The rate of heat loss is dependent on the temperature difference, and whether there is any insulation to slow the rate of heat loss.

If your bare skin is exposed to cool air, your body "radiates" heat and warms the layer of air next to your skin (technically by convection, but "convects" isn't a good verb). Once that layer of air is warm, it acts as a bit of insulation (ineffective, but it does), and you don't keep losing body heat trying to warm the entire atmosphere. 

Wind disrupts this process by blowing away that layer of warm air next to your skin, and replacing it with fresh cold air that needs to be warmed again. So you never stop losing body heat, because you can't keep the warm air next to your skin. You are less insulated at higher wind speeds. New cold air keeps getting next to your skin and you keep losing heat by convection into the atmosphere. 

The faster the wind blows, the more cold air passes by, and the faster you lose heat. So it feels colder at higher wind speeds. Thus the wind chill is a guess at how cold it FEELS. A wind chill of -40 is a calculated value that says, "at this combo of temp and wind speed, the rate of heat loss from bare skin is roughly equivalent to what it would be at -40 with no wind." But this is for the average person.

Blowing on hot coffee makes it cool faster too. Same principle. You bring more cooler air in contact with the hot liquid.

But blowing on inanimate objects at ambient temperature doesn't make them colder. Cold isn't transmitted. Heat is. Once the temperatures equilibrate, no further heat loss occurs, so the wind speed has no effect on the apparent temperature. A bucket of water outside at 2°C will not freeze, even in 40 MPH winds with wind chills well below zero. It will never get colder than the ambient air temperature. 

Heat loss by convection has other consequences too. It takes much less heat to warm air compared to water. Thus 70F is wonderful to walk outside with shorts, but jumping into a pool at 70F is freezing! The water sucks more heat from your body than air does. 

Make sense? 

• Like 3

Wow, I get it. Thanks for the explanation.

Those temperatures, they are not for me. But what I find is that I feel worse in 4 degrees Celsius in damp conditions than at -4 degrees Celsius in dry conditions.  I am not alone in this, I know a couple of people like this. A friend of mine has rheumatoid arthritis and he has had to increase his medication in this constantly rainy weather we have right now.

notamermaid

Notamermaid, damp air sucks heat from you faster than dry air. Remember it takes more heat to warm up water than it does to warm up air? By extension, it takes more heat to warm humid air than dry air.

So if the humid air is colder than you are, it feels colder than dry air of the same temperature. I noticed this in New Orleans a few years ago. We were there in January and it was 50s-60sF (10-15C) but it felt really cold. The fog and humidity were really cold!

If the humid air is hotter than your skin, it feels hotter than dry air. Dry heat is much better tolerated. High humidity also makes it harder for sweat to evaporate from your skin so it's a double whammy. Thus the heat index.

jpalbny - I also agree. Great explanation. 

I was curious if someone is factoring windchill into the temp, if the normal conversions between C and F work the same. Do you go off of the windchill temps? Regardless, it is cold and IMO - a windchill of -10 or -40 F or C just feels too darn cold!

I know you are not a meteorologist in real life, but you can be one on our board 🙂 

Hi folks, if I may chime in,  I live in a part of the country that has HUMID in its middle name LOL

Here in North Florida our summers are hot AND HUMID.....it can be 90 outside with 95%

humidity......you walk outside and without even doing anything you can start to sweat😮

46 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi folks, if I may chime in,  I live in a part of the country that has HUMID in its middle name LOL

Here in North Florida our summers are hot AND HUMID.....it can be 90 outside with 95%

humidity......you walk outside and without even doing anything you can start to sweat😮

I remind myself of that when I am thinking enviously of the warm air and sun you are having now, while I look out at over a foot of snow.  [Envy?  well, yeah...]

14 hours ago, doobieb said:

Is there a temperature at which schools automatically close? I can imagine a scene with all the kiddos round as little balls in parkas and layers of wool......

Where my daughter lives, they don't close for temperatures, but they won't let the kids out for recess if it is too cold.

One day last year - as the kids were getting on the bus to go home - she did the "throw the water up in the air and see it freeze" experiment that was circulating around You Tube...  She said it was pretty awesome - and the kids were impressed.

Fran

• Like 1