River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

12 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Ohhhh………...I missed that!!!!!!!!!  Thank you:classic_biggrin:

While I like them, I probably would not pay the price on their website for it. They are good but not that good.

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

While I like them, I probably would not pay the price on their website for it. They are good but not that good.

I can understand that for sure...….I will think about it.

I would like to share an article with you from Deutsche Welle about a cluster of cases that shows how things can develop in rather unfortunate ways. Just to recap: in Germany we had the first cases near Munich, a minimal cluster caused by a Chinese business partner. All recorded, isolated and controlled - no further damage done. A few weeks later a cluster emerged in Heinsberg near the Dutch border, leading to quarantine and the distribution of infections to other areas. The cause was a couple at a Carnival event, unfortunately their original source of infection could not be found. It has been nicknamed the "German Wuhan". Fast forward to Mardi Gras and its tragic consequences. Together with the town in this article, called Ischgl, it shows the various ways in which social distancing has been handled and observed and what can happen as a consequence. I am not judging or further commenting on this and in the case of Ischgl the matter has been referred to official judging under Austria's laws: https://m.dw.com/en/coronavirus-coverup-did-austrian-politics-and-industry-collude/a-53048958 

This mention by me is merely meant to illustrate and raise awareness.

Now onto shopping, no, not Aldi today. 😉 

Please keep your distance physically and stay at home, everyone, even at Easter. It is difficult but it helps.

Have a great, healthy weekend - whatever you will be celebrating and wherever you are.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Thank you for that link Notamermaid for once a considered piece of put together journalism. 
We have some, one can only call them crazies doing stupid things every day here. 
On the other hand loads of rainbow pictures in windows, plus the odd teddy bear. Batman and Robin rode past on a tandem yesterday actually dad and young son so they are allowed to be so close, it was the sons birthday treat people came out and waved and all within the recommended regulations.
Latest have a zooming virtual cocktail party - cheers and keep well. CA

We had a zoom cocktail hour on Saturday with our cruise group. Pennsylvania, Toronto, and Brisbane Australia came together with us here in Albany for a drink. Was fun!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3

Hello and Good Friday to all.  As we hunker down in our bunkers or houses; all is well from Cincinnati, OH.  Like others have mentioned; our Mayor and Gov; have both shut down everything except hospitals and grocery stores.  I have been out riding my bike everyday; except for when it rains.  My wife has not left our house in three weeks; other than walks on sidewalk.  She is prime candidate to catch Covid19.  Because of this I am keeping her protected at home.  It's all good; and this will soon pass; and life will go back to normal; except for a few changes to how we all socially connect to each other.  I have full faith that change is coming to the world.  Change in how we interact, change in how we will travel, and change in how we look at cleanliness and sanitation.  Happy Easter.  

JP, I'm curious how Zoom is going to handle this weekend...we have two family chats planned, and hoping we have no problems.  It's interesting to see how green it is in some parts of the country & world (family all over the place, and Zoom is letting more people "come to the table" so to speak), and some parts still under snow.

Wishing all a happy Easter and or happy Passover.  Stay safe, stay in, and hopefully we will be on the rivers soon.

Edited by Daisi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Daisi said:

JP, I'm curious how Zoom is going to handle this weekend...we have two family chats planned, and hoping we have no problems.  It's interesting to see how green it is in some parts of the country & world (family all over the place, and Zoom is letting more people "come to the table" so to speak), and some parts still under snow.

Wishing all a happy Easter and or happy Passover.  Stay safe, stay in, and hopefully we will be on the rivers soon.

I think Zoom will be fine as there are no M-F education classes on Sunday/Easter. Zoom is heavily used by both K12 and college classes daily and it has been handled well.

Edited by Coral

Church bells (Protestant and Catholic) have been ringing every evening here at 7.30pm for some days now. Protestant churches have a special order of bell ringing for the three days of Easter,  the Catholic ones traditionally remain silent and in many places Klepper (english: clapper) are used, sometimes ratchets. They can look like this: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klepper_(Instrument)

I do not know if there will be any changes to the "Coronavirus ringing" tonight. People are out and about, families and small groups. Younger people dare to appear in public with three or more in a group, but overall it seems to be working out okay. In Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania (North East of Germany) people from that state are allowed to go to their beloved beaches this weekend by official court order - the court had ruled in their favour as a lockdown being too unreasonable for them. Citizens from other states are not allowed there for leisure purposes.

Trying to stick to the rituals of your faith is difficult in these times, but people are creative - a church nearby here is using a car park as a drive-in for mass, like a US drive-in cinema. Weird times! Here is an article by Deutsche Welle about religious celebrations in the time of coronavirus: https://www.dw.com/en/religious-celebrations-in-the-time-of-coronavirus/a-53070842

Today is a day for mourning for Christians the world over, a day to pause and think, in German we have the lovely verb "innehalten" for that. But we are united in whatever we believe, I think, in that we find a time to celebrate again after the dark days (and times) are over. This virus knows no religion, does not care about our quarrels. We can only win if we stand together in this. I saw a great interview with the three religious leaders in Jerusalem, broadcast by the BBC. The message was clear - stay at home!

@Daisi

yes, we will cruise again! Happy Easter.

notamermaid

• Like 3

Here in Canada's capital city it is so quiet and really for the most part residents are adhering to the Stay At Home advice. Of course everything except grocery stores, pharmacies and the liquor (!) stores are closed. Sadly this week parking lots for all our City parks were cordoned off to discourage gatherings and large Closed signs were installed.  Traffic is extremely light; if I needed to I could easily cross a four lane major route without using the Walk/Don't Walk signs anytime. Public transportation is running but on a very limited basis.

We have been told we are just entering a very difficult phase and to go out only when absolutely necessary and maintain strict social distance; we have been warned that the next two weeks is critical in this effort to flatten the curve.

Its somber but the sunshine, budding trees and emerging spring flowers help brighten the day. Friends and family tell me they are keeping busy with reading, board games, cards, lots of baking, house cleaning (and more house cleaning) and now some garden work where we can. Thank goodness for Facetime and similar.  I shop for groceries once every 10 days and it is a fast in and fast out event using mask and gloves and a very strict list! It is what it is and we do what we can to help flatten the curve. 

Please stay safe and healthy and look forward to the time we can be back on the rivers.

3 hours ago, Bake apple said:

Here in Canada's capital city it is so quiet and really for the most part residents are adhering to the Stay At Home advice. Of course everything except grocery stores, pharmacies and the liquor (!) stores are closed. Sadly this week parking lots for all our City parks were cordoned off to discourage gatherings and large Closed signs were installed.  Traffic is extremely light; if I needed to I could easily cross a four lane major route without using the Walk/Don't Walk signs anytime. Public transportation is running but on a very limited basis.

We have been told we are just entering a very difficult phase and to go out only when absolutely necessary and maintain strict social distance; we have been warned that the next two weeks is critical in this effort to flatten the curve.

Maybe we'll find out in the next Inspector Gamache mystery who really caused this pandemic (and, of course, how the now post-70 year old inspector cracked the case so we fellow post-70s can cruise again!).

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Maybe we'll find out in the next Inspector Gamache mystery who really caused this pandemic (and, of course, how the now post-70 year old inspector cracked the case so we fellow post-70s can cruise again!).

Haha!  Our city really does resemble a "Still Life" right now!!

Right, eagerly anticipated - with dread by many I suppose you could say - was the conference of the German government of this afternoon and the news is out now: Germany will keep the lock down measures and social distancing in place until at least 3 May. A small step forward though is the re-opening of some shops next week. Although I have not spoken to my boss yet, I assume this means I need not go back to work before 4 May. No problem, I am fine with that.

If you are interested, this is the BBC article covering the news: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52299358

notamermaid

Ontario has extended our "State of Emergency" (read lockdown) until May 12.  However, news is good as nationally they are starting to think we may be starting to flatten the curve.  We have been lucky in that although our health care providers are tired (working like crazy with added stress),  we haven't had the crisis of other countries with overflowing ICU's and not enough respirators.  Unfortunately, most of our deaths are from senior's homes - both seniors residences & long term care homes... once an illness gets in them, they spread like wildfire.  

Fingers crossed, it looks like we all may be starting to see a small pinhole of light at the end of the tunnel.  Stay safe all.

44 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Daisi, we have close to 4,000 deaths in nursing homes as well...…...it may be over that amount by today.:classic_sad:

Wow.. that is a high number, we have about 145 in Ontario.  They are now saying that health care can only work in one home, no more rotating between 3-4 homes to help prevent spread.  They are also looking at pulling hospital staff to help.  One good thing, our government is moving to get the money out to help assist in hiring, and also funding for care givers.

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

Wow.. that is a high number, we have about 145 in Ontario.  They are now saying that health care can only work in one home, no more rotating between 3-4 homes to help prevent spread.  They are also looking at pulling hospital staff to help.  One good thing, our government is moving to get the money out to help assist in hiring, and also funding for care givers.

Yes, it is high....across the country we have a ALOT of nursing homes/long-term care facilities, etc.

Once a patient catches this virus? (especially in that older category) it takes off like wild fires. 

On 4/16/2020 at 1:09 AM, Lois R said:

Yes, it is high....across the country we have a ALOT of nursing homes/long-term care facilities, etc.

Once a patient catches this virus? (especially in that older category) it takes off like wild fires. 

There have been reports of badly affected nursing homes here in Germany. Luckily, those are not that many yet. It varies from state to state. Strict rules for being outside and being visited apply.

Lockdown measures have eased of today, differing from state to state, but basically the majority of retail shops are allowed to open again. Zoos and botanical gardens may open their outdoor spaces, i.e. a tropical glasshouse will remain shut for example. Social distancing measures remain in place.

All in all the country is doing well, we are quite a bit in the BBC news, with our strategy, praise for our politicians, which is nice to read. I am reconciled with my health insurance, me having had to pay a sum of money equivalent to a five day river cruise complete with excursions and train fare to them. That was in February. I imagine it has gone into intensive care beds and treating people brought over from the stricken Italy and France. I have read on Deutsche Welle today that there are currently 200 seriously ill foreign patients being treated in Germany, mostly from the two countries mentioned. Germany will bear the cost of around 20 million euros, out of solidarity with other nations. It makes me proud to read we can do all that. And if staying at home has resulted in our hospitals being able to cope even with those people, a grandma from Italy or a grandpa from France who will be able to return to their families, it is all the more worthwhile. The thought makes me somewhat tearful and really happy.

Stay safe.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Saw a protester on the news last night here in the US.  She was screaming (no mask or distancing, of course) that enough is enough, that these restrictions are "SO inconvenient--this thing is the flu!"

Know what else is SO inconvenient?  Dying, or having a loved one die.

As I remember from my logic class almost 50 yrs ago:

Covid is a viral disease

Flu is a viral disease

BUT--not all viral diseases are the flu.

• Like 1

well said sharkster77.  We are starting to do more recovery from last year's tornado.  Grandson and some unemployed friends will work for food.  Yes we are still finding pieces of roofing and siding in the yards.  Amazing that we had so little damage when all around us had so much more.

Sent a package of toilet paper to my cousin in NJ.  Still haven't figured out why people are  stockpiling it.

Thanks to all who are posting here.  Stay safe and well.  Pat

sharkster77,

I am saddened to read that in the US people even call Covid-19 a flu. I know of a Brazilian guy who does that... Just imagine the emoji I refrain from putting here. To all those who take this too lightly I would love to play the BBC clip from last night of the young woman whose father has died. He had to go to work. She pleaded in the clip: "if you can stay at home, do, my father couldn't". It brought tears to my eyes.

notamermaid

2 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Saw a protester on the news last night here in the US.  She was screaming (no mask or distancing, of course) that enough is enough, that these restrictions are "SO inconvenient--this thing is the flu!"

Know what else is SO inconvenient?  Dying, or having a loved one die.

As I remember from my logic class almost 50 yrs ago:

Covid is a viral disease

Flu is a viral disease

BUT--not all viral diseases are the flu.

I saw all those protesters and they are idiots...……..they make me very angry:classic_angry:

The World Health Organization said last night the virus will get worse and it is not over yet.  They recommended continued isolation and protection.

Edited by AF-1