River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

On 4/23/2021 at 9:52 AM, djh1959 said:

This is never going to end unless we stop people travelling from one country to another.  I know they want to come home, but until we are all vaccinated it is just madness to allow flights in.

The fast air travel has been our downfall in this and it will be again the next time a pandemic comes around...

Our president has signed the law and it has come into effect already. Vibrant entertainment areas have turned into ghost towns. For me, not much difference in the evenings, I am still allowed to put the bins out in the dark. For others, terrible financially and at least bad for the soul for many.

More cases of AstraZeneca adverse effects, from all over Europe and the UK. Austria reporting fifth death in connection with the vaccine for example.

EU contemplating suing AstraZeneca over supply issues.

Johnson and Johnson vaccine recommended for all ages in Germany, pending new info from the FDA. That came late last night, so it is possible that our recommendation will be amended.

EU has just signed a deal with Pfizer/BioNTech for more doses after 30 June. Biiig deal! AstraZeneca not looking good, may be phased out. In Netherlands already more than just a rumour? https://nltimes.nl/2021/04/24/end-astrazeneca-vaccine-netherlands-might-sight

Situation in Belgium dire again, patients transported across the border into nearby hospitals in Aachen.

Two states in Germany have now given the first jab to 25 percent of their population, a few states close behind. Over 90 percent of all doses available in Germany administered right now.

notamermaid

• Like 2

In Germany, things are looking a bit more promising. For the EU, this is what Thierry Breton has said: https://www.dw.com/en/covid-eu-confident-of-herd-immunity-by-summer/a-57329335

Good in theory, but I take it with a pinch of salt.

Germany has banned air travel from India.

And AstraZeneca again. Big news: https://www.dw.com/en/eu-sues-astrazeneca-over-delayed-deliveries-of-covid-19-vaccine/a-57338626

Quote: "When signing the contract with the EU, AstraZeneca committed to make its "best reasonable efforts" to deliver 180 million vaccine doses to the bloc in the second quarter of this year, making up a total of 300 million in the December-June period. Last month, however, AstraZeneca said it would aim to deliver only one-third of that."

Well, can happen, can't it? Oddly, it did not seem to harm the UK roll-out. Smells fishy? Yep. Much frustration in the EU. Quote: "Brussels has been particularly angered by the fact that that the supply of AstraZeneca shots to the UK remained unaffected amid all production hiccups claimed by the company, although purchase contracts from the bloc and Britain both dated from August 2020."

So, obviously the UK was ahead of the EU with finding out about the blood clots with the AstraZeneca vaccine, seeing that they had vaccinated so many people, right? No. Various reasons are given, really. So who found out? It first flagged as a safety signal with the Norwegian authorities, followed closely by Austrian doctors and the German Paul-Ehrlich-Institut not far behind.

Week before last, AstraZeneca delivered a pittance of vaccines to Germany, last week was better I think. Pfizer/BioNTech consistently very good. Moderna a bit up and down, which is kind of normal for them, not a big deal, the company has been "open" about it. Johnson & Johnson starting this week.

Many countries in Europe helping India, flying stuff out.

If you are one of the first Americans to come over proudly waving a vaccine certificate this summer, be prepared: the continent will not be normal - doing okay very likely, but normality - no.

notamermaid

21 hours ago, notamermaid said:

If you are one of the first Americans to come over proudly waving a vaccine certificate this summer, be prepared: the continent will not be normal - doing okay very likely, but normality - no.

That is what I figured & I suspect that many venues will still be closed or, at the least, dramatically restructured.

On 4/27/2021 at 1:56 PM, dogs4fun said:

That is what I figured & I suspect that many venues will still be closed or, at the least, dramatically restructured.

That is the reason why I think a trip across the big pond to do a river cruise in June may only be something "for the desperate" that do not mind restrictions. If they are allowed to come in June...

There are signs of things getting better but is it really fun to think that I may not be able to go into the Louvre without a negative test, or that the castle on the Rhine is closed because they cannot ensure social distancing? Not saying this will be the case, but June will be a challenge still. And indoor dining? Excursions on a coach? If I wanted to go on a river cruise I would only take the train for a couple of hours and be at the embarkation port as I live so close, but I would not take a long-distance flight to get there. Too much hassle and expense for a trip that may not what I have expected.

Portugal is looking a bit more promising, that may be a possibility in June but do not expect the country back to normal either. They will end the state of emergency on Friday, so are obviously heading in the right direction. Here is Deutsche Welle's Coronavirus digest of today: https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-digest-portugal-to-end-state-of-emergency/a-57357336

notamermaid

On 4/26/2021 at 9:27 AM, notamermaid said:

notamermaid

I could be one of these, and I have very mixed feelings about it. On one hand I'd rather get my money's worth, and on the other is my feeling of being penned up at home.  I'm booked on an Avalon Rhine cruise for July 3rd. The latest update from Avalon was Monday, cancelling all departures thru June 30th.  They moved to cancelling twice a month instead of once.

The airlines add another level of stress.  I haven't bought tickets because the prices are still outrageous because of the travel restrictions.

In sticking with the title of the thread, I can update from the Houston, Texas area.  Things are fairly normal here.  The governor dropped the mask mandates about 6 weeks ago, but most businesses decided to keep their requirement.  Infections/hospitalizations/deaths have dropped across the board the last couple of months.  The demand for vaccines has dropped significantly to the point that they will be closing the mass vaccination hub in less than 3 weeks.  Honestly, its to the point where anyone who wants a vaccination has gotten at least the first already.  Although there does seem to be a significant portion of the population that is not seeking vaccination.

Now doesn't that look good?

image.thumb.png.213d48d0961eb79a8739853895ada7b2.png

For the statistics enthusiasts there are all kinds of graphs and things on the website of our health authorities. This one here is the vaccine doses administered - total and of that the second jabs given - as reported to the Robert-Koch-Institut and published in their dashboard. For yesterday the total figure was 1,088,952! Don't get too excited, I doubt we will be able to keep that up, especially as some previous days had computer problems. I think this figure contains some jabs from a previous day. Still, it is impressive.

It now sounds more and more probable that we will have life returning to normal some time this year, at least some kind of normality in, I don't know, August? If you are a bit like me, the word normal life, gives you a bit of panic, like: no masks, people at a distance of 50cm?? Eek!!!! I was in the supermarket yesterday and a man, with mask on of course, coughed 1.50m away from me. I find it not easy to just take it as it is, I mean, it is fine. But it makes me nervous.

But I am not the only who feels like that. This is a Deutsche Welle article on being anxious about returning to normal: https://www.dw.com/en/covid-why-were-anxious-about-returning-to-normal-and-what-we-can-do-about-it/a-57359157

notamermaid

• Like 2

Life is weird these days. For me, not being at work, it is just a blur of days rowed together, one goes, the next one comes... Yesterday I noticed a wall calendar with the page being on May. So I thought: is it May already? When was May Day? Yesterday? Oh! I could have sworn it was April 28. Is it me or the pandemic? I kind of hope it is the latter, otherwise I am getting old (and madder). The working from home mode will probably continue throughout May.

Last Wednesday and Thursday, i.e. within 48 hours, Germany administered more than two million jabs. With the steady flow of BioNTech vaccines coming in, we will probably have another good week. Scientists and medical personnel are cautiously optimistic that we are turning the corner.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Aaaargh, Munich is lost!! Actually, as an outsider I really think that Munich has been spared from another onslaught of invaders from all over the world that come for beer (Do they not know what beer tastes like? Why travel all that distance to find out??). And I know that a certain local lady who is on this board can live with the decision 😉.  But it is kind of sad and a major loss of revenue. I know it means a lot to many sensible people.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Oktoberfest!  During my 20's I lived in Kitchener, Ontario,  home of the largest Oktoberfest celebration outside of Germany.  At that time there were at least 28 festhallen that could accommodate thousands, over two weekends, one of which was our Thanksgiving holiday. I took a vacation week from my government job to go and work for the Oktoberfest office telling people where to go. What fun!  Could I do it now, no way! But it was fun back then.

Covid cases are still a major concern and I have forgotten how long our Provincial shut down is for.  One day at a time, one day at a time.

RB 

49 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

Covid cases are still a major concern and I have forgotten how long our Provincial shut down is for.  One day at a time, one day at a time.

The current Ontario shut down is until May 20. I'm sure you didn't really want to know.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ritabob said:

Oktoberfest!  During my 20's I lived in Kitchener, Ontario,  home of the largest Oktoberfest celebration outside of Germany.  At that time there were at least 28 festhallen that could accommodate thousands, over two weekends, one of which was our Thanksgiving holiday. I took a vacation week from my government job to go and work for the Oktoberfest office telling people where to go. What fun!  Could I do it now, no way! But it was fun back then.

RB 

My husband went to school at Conestoga...we enjoyed the beer halls then, but not sure I would now, even if they were open.  To noisy & crowded. 🙂

On 5/3/2021 at 5:45 PM, Canal archive said:

I’ve just read your reply to my husband and as he says he’s not surprised due to the circumstances but you do have to go to Oktoberfest to appreciate the experience even if it’s only once. CA

Granted, you can only say you dislike it after you have been there. If you have never been you can only say you dislike the idea of going or trying it out. I do not fancy it and I am not a fan of Munich anyway. I will recommend the city to anyone, but it is one of those places that are great but not heart-warmingly great IMHO, for want of a better expression.

In Germany we now easily manage 400,000 first jabs per day (average), so could be done with those in something like 110 days from now, depending on willingness to be vaccinated and the rules for vaccinating those that have already had Covid. But my estimate is  a little cautious, the rate will hopefully increase again this week and next (we are promised). We obviously can only vaccinate those 16 and older but perhaps by the time we have done almost all eligible and willing, BioNTech has been approved for the 12 to 15 year olds. That should do the trick for reaching herd immunity after full vaccination.

We still have a very differing infection rate, from over 500 in a district in the East of Germany, to only 31 in Plön in the North (nice place with beautiful lake by the way).

Overall, the infection rate is falling, though. River cruises? No idea when that will be, all river areas where you can cruise in Germany are above a reasonably rate. The more rural North and hilly regions with little population fare better.

Waiting to hear from my boss about any plans for me returning to my office in May. I do not expect a positive answer even if rules may allow me to go next week.

By the way, my area is on storm warning level 1 but the wind is blowing right against my windows so the gusts with rain feel more like 3. I do not feel like going shopping!

notamermaid

Latest reports here in the US are discussing regional herd immunity.  San Francisco area has over a million people, but is only averaging about 26 new COVID cases per day.  New England states lead the nation in vaccination, over 50% thus far. I would imagine NY/NJ may get to herd immunity in a similar fashion (maybe Jazz can address this).

Moving forward, it appears that some US areas may achieve herd immunity thru vaccination, while the rest will get there the old fashioned way, by having 80% of the population getting sick.  Not to get political, but the divide seems to be along political lines.

Edited by sharkster77

Just now, sharkster77 said:

Latest reports here in the US are discussing regional herd immunity.  San Francisco area has over a million people, but is only averaging about 26 new COVID cases per day.  New England states lead the nation in vaccination, over 50% thus far.  Moving forward, it appears that some US areas may achieve herd immunity thru vaccination, while the rest will get there the old fashioned way, by having 80% of the population getting sick.  Not to get political, but the divide seems to be along political lines.

I totally agree.  President Biden now says 70% of Americans will have first vaccination by the end of July.  Too many people refuse the vaccine, like the refuse the masks.  Freedom is one thing but willful disregard of others is not right.  Here in Texas it's just about business as usual.  I did go to the hairdresser yesterday, masks still in place, thank goodness.

• Like 2

Our hairdressers have been shut down since November 23. My hair hasn't been as long as it is now since I was in university, when I cut it all off - it had been down almost to my waist, and I cut it all off. Now it is down below the bottom of my ears, even when I use a clip to hold it back off my face. I haven't decided whether to cut it short again when the salons reopen.

5 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Latest reports here in the US are discussing regional herd immunity.  San Francisco area has over a million people, but is only averaging about 26 new COVID cases per day.  New England states lead the nation in vaccination, over 50% thus far. I would imagine NY/NJ may get to herd immunity in a similar fashion (maybe Jazz can address this).

I haven't been following the numbers as the CC threads about Covid are full of competing 'facts' and interpretations (and bickering 🙁)   But the situation in NY (and NJ & CT) seems to have turned the corner on vaccinations.  After a shaky start-up, with very confusing eligibility rules and then a dramatic loosening that swamped the reservation system – we are now in a 'walk up' situation.  Before we got our shots, DW was making phone calls and checking internet sites constantly – now all those places are contacting her, offering the shots!  She has used the info to help friends and neighbors, and now everybody we know is vaccinated.  So, based on this anecdotal evidence, I would have said that our area has reached herd immunity.  But then last week our choir director's three sons all got Covid [presumably from school] – so getting authorization for 12-15 year olds is crucial.

Travel wise, the biggest problem for US residents now is that the CDC seems to be stuck 4 months behind events.  Almost the entire world is now 'level 4 do not travel' according to them.  I don't plan to pay any attention to their warning, since it is so out of touch with reality – but if the travel insurance companies do, that could be costly in the event of any problem [even not Covid related] on a trip.  But we (and when I say 'we,' of course I mean 'me' 😉] aren't schedule to leave the US until mid-September so hopefully the US, UK and EU will have all worked out mutual pathways by then.

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

I keep mine long for travelling...so much easier to throw back in a braid or ponytail than to have to style it.  I'm kinda glad for that now. 🙂

When mine is really short, I just brush it and go. Now it isn't long enough for a braid or ponytail (although it might be before long). I'm used to hair that dries in 5 minutes; now it is more like an hour before it is fully dry.

57 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But then last week our choir director's three sons all got Covid [presumably from school] – so getting authorization for 12-15 year olds is crucial.

Canada today approved Pfizer for 12-15 year olds.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Canada today approved Pfizer for 12-15 year olds.

Great news!  Is there sufficient supply in Canada to expand eligibility like this?–that's even better news!

20 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Great news!  Is there sufficient supply in Canada to expand eligibility like this?–that's even better news!

We are starting to get larger quantities of vaccines; we expect 2 million doses of Pfizer and 1 million doses of (I think) Moderna this week.

Ontario has vaccinated more than 40% of the adult population as of this week; Canada is a little further back I believe. We're getting there.

• Like 1