PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

On 7/9/2020 at 9:18 PM, MamaFej said:

Pro tip: don’t get braces in your 50s. 

Note to self: RETAINERS ARE FOREVER!

I also had braces in my late 50's (and as a teen). When the orthodontist

removed them (in my 50's), I had to return the next day for my new retainers.

Well, the lower teeth had already begun moving and the retainer was very painful

and did not really fit properly. Soooooooo... the orthodontist and I decided that he

needed to put the lower teeth back in braces for a short time which was fine with me.

After that round, he placed a "permanent" wire retainer on the back of my lower front

teeth. It is still there and I am down to wearing the full plastic retainers just twice a week at night.

It is worth it.

And now the weather on the Washington State Coast: 70 degrees with puffy clouds 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nini said:

Note to self: RETAINERS ARE FOREVER!

I also had braces in my late 50's (and as a teen). When the orthodontist

removed them (in my 50's), I had to return the next day for my new retainers.

Well, the lower teeth had already begun moving and the retainer was very painful

and did not really fit properly. Soooooooo... the orthodontist and I decided that he

needed to put the lower teeth back in braces for a short time which was fine with me.

After that round, he placed a "permanent" wire retainer on the back of my lower front

teeth. It is still there and I am down to wearing the full plastic retainers just twice a week at night.

It is worth it.

Oof! That sounds rough, but worth it. Unfortunately, my mom had a bad experience with a dentist when I was very young, and she refused to take me and my brothers for dental care. As soon as I got my own dental coverage when I started teaching at 23, I started going. Surprisingly, I only had one cavity at that point. I should have gotten braces then, when we had double coverage. My teeth weren't that bad then. They started getting bad, and started to chip from poor alignment around the time my kids started needing braces. I finally got them once the kids were done (couldn't afford more than one set at a time) shortly before turning 52, and we paid them off right before Hubby retired last fall. I'm now nearly 18 months into them. I had hoped to have them off before our Trans-Pacific and Asia cruises this fall. I doubt if I'll actually be able to get them off by September, but I now feel confident that they will be off before we cruise again, unfortunately. 

In the meantime, I think we will take trips in our new motorhome to places with nice weather between adjustments. Going back to Washington sounds great, and RVs are perfect for keeping our distance while still getting to go places! I just wish that the mosquitoes would learn how to do social distancing!

6 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Going back to Washington sounds great, and RVs are perfect for keeping our distance while still getting to go places! I just wish that the mosquitoes would learn how to do social distancing!

We were born and raised in S. Cal and left to the Pacific Northwest in 1979. We have never

regretted that decision. We also have a small travel trailer and were able to get away last month

for a couple of weeks. We really enjoyed the area around Lake Pend Oreille and then the area

around Glacier and Flathead Lake. Now, the next project is painting some of the interior in

the trailer and making new curtains. Then it will not be all brownish. Happy Travels!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nini said:

That was our low last night. Not too bad. Sometimes the low is in the 80s. 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In lieu of taking the 3 cruises we had booked we are using the money to Install a privacy fence around our property.  LOTS of trees and brush to clear but it will transform the fuctionality of the yard.  Figure we’re vacationing at home for a few years so might as well do projects to help us enjoy it.  No pool though, but I might put my chair in one of those little kiddie-pools, which will work as long as I have a fruity cocktail with a little umbrella.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LoriPhil said:

In lieu of taking the 3 cruises we had booked we are using the money to Install a privacy fence around our property.  LOTS of trees and brush to clear but it will transform the fuctionality of the yard.  Figure we’re vacationing at home for a few years so might as well do projects to help us enjoy it.  No pool though, but I might put my chair in one of those little kiddie-pools, which will work as long as I have a fruity cocktail with a little umbrella.

We are looking at Rhode Island near the water I would be happy sitting on my balcony  looking at the water!

🙂 We can drive there 🙂

Edited by Reader0108598

Just now, LoriPhil said:

And we had our cracking concrete driveway ripped up and a new one installed

which also added length. Next: ordering and spreading barkdust. And I am now planting a

second round of beets and lettuce. 

P.S. We have an industrial "deer fence" around our backyard. Otherwise, nothing

would be growing here.

• Like 1

We just got back from a 7 day beach house vacation with one of our sons, his wife, and our 4 grandchildren - this vacation was all about them - just the way we wanted it

when just me and my wife cruise, it is all about "US" - just the way we want it

both have distinct advantages, of course

NOTE: we ate out in a real seafood restaurant one night !!  all other nights were takeout or cooking in the house ...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

We just got back from a 7 day beach house vacation with one of our sons, his wife, and our 4 grandchildren - this vacation was all about them - just the way we wanted it

NOTE: we ate out in a real seafood restaurant one night !!  all other nights were takeout or cooking in the house ...

Wonderful 🙂 I love seafood hubby not so much. .lol Have to find a place we can both get somthing ..lol Although he is all about me getting my seafood! We missed Birthday cruises and our 40th anniversary cruise ...we are ready to go some where!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

This morning two masked men came into my house and took my bed!

Sounds like some pretty weird thieves but they actually took it to refurbish it for us. It was made locally (Square Deal Mattress Factory) and, after 10 or 12 years it's developed "divots" where we lie. We do turn and rotate it regularly but... I called and asked about having it reconditioned and they said it's a one day thing. They picked it up this morning and will return it late this afternoon. Much less expensive than purchasing a new mattress and it should end up like new. Cool!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nini said:

Thrak- that is pretty cool! I had no idea this was a thing!

Our daughters complain about our guest bed which we have no

issue with.

When we bought the mattress we were happy that it is one of the few places that still makes a "two sided" mattress. Almost all other mattresses are single-sided and can't be turned over. We've adhered to a fairly strict regimen of rotating and turning over the mattress but it's just been too long now. I got a call a while ago and they said the had the mattress apart and it would benefit from additional top foam as well as the planned refurbishment. I said to go for it and am looking forward to using our "new" mattress tonight. The company has been in business here for 100 years or more.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nini said:

Thrak- ours is also two sided and we were not as diligent as you were in

flipping it. I will need to do some research.

They picked it up this morning and will return it this evening. Rebuild and new top foam is $385 which is far less than the cost of a decent mattress. I know one can get inexpensive mattresses but they aren't worth having. My body will appreciate having the benefit of the rebuilt mattress. Since the company doing the refurbishment is the same one that originally manufactured the mattress I know we're in good hands. As for rotating and flipping the mattress: My wife just tells me it's time and we do it on a regular schedule. They gave us a schedule sheet when we purchased the bed and she follows that routine. When the bed is stripped for new sheets and such it's really not much of a hassle to take care of things. It just requires that she keep track and nudge me to lend a hand.

I really regret that I didn't take my favorite chair to these folks when it needed help. I had broken springs and they do great upholstery and restoration work. I could have had the chair repaired and be using it today but, instead, I let it go and bought a La-Z-Boy recliner. Big mistake. The old chair was soooooooo comfortable and roomy, matched the sofa and love seat, and has a large ottoman. The new chair isn't standing up to wear and the arms are getting floppy. So much for La-A-Boy.

On 7/13/2020 at 1:41 PM, voljeep said:

Sounds like a nice trip, glad you enjoyed it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Sounds like a nice trip, glad you enjoyed it.  

thanks - it was very nice - 4 bedroom, 2 bath house right on the beach in NC - walk down the stairs and you have toes in the sand

unpack once, just like a cruise ... easy to social distance ... each house on the beach just set up their "stuff" ... not really many other people, even tho it was a public beach

just wish more places had been open for eat-in, but it was all good

now glass  is still half-full 🥃 for our late Nov 2020 cruise, but ... backup plan is a mid April 2021 cruise ... if the 11/2020 cruise

doesn't go, hoping for a double 🍻 the amount paid down ( not paid in full ) as a FCC

• Like 1

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

thanks - it was very nice - 4 bedroom, 2 bath house right on the beach in NC - walk down the stairs and you have toes in the sand

unpack once, just like a cruise ... easy to social distance ... each house on the beach just set up their "stuff" ... not really many other people, even tho it was a public beach

just wish more places had been open for eat-in, but it was all good

now glass  is still half-full 🥃 for our late Nov 2020 cruise, but ... backup plan is a mid April 2021 cruise ... if the 11/2020 cruise

doesn't go, hoping for a double 🍻 the amount paid down ( not paid in full ) as a FCC

Which beach did you go to? We were supposed to go on a nice vacation in October to celebrate my graduation, but are now contemplating a week at the Outer Banks. It's nice and quiet in October.

12 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

Which beach did you go to? We were supposed to go on a nice vacation in October to celebrate my graduation, but are now contemplating a week at the Outer Banks. It's nice and quiet in October.

we stayed in a VRBO in Oak Island NC ... about 40 miles North of Myrtle Beach SC

beach was very pet friendly ... the house we stayed in was NO pets, but there were dogs in the house a couple of doors down

• Like 1

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

we stayed in a VRBO in Oak Island NC ... about 40 miles North of Myrtle Beach SC

beach was very pet friendly ... the house we stayed in was NO pets, but there were dogs in the house a couple of doors down

voljeep-

This sounds lovely and glad you had a nice time. Is it humid in the Summer?

4 minutes ago, nini said:

voljeep-

This sounds lovely and glad you had a nice time. Is it humid in the Summer?

we live in Central Florida ... 'nuff said

so we didn't notice a lot of humidity ... comparably 

just a nice ocean breeze most of the time

• Like 1

Hi all my Cruise Critic friends, It was a great day in Boston today the humidity took a vacation.

I was on the Rowboat all day and I actually caught another fish 😁 I’m staying out on the Rowboat Thursday it’s supposed to be another good day. 

4694D591-6821-421C-ABFE-FA0C324B385F.jpeg

• Like 2

I am extremely happy to be home in Michigan.  I am even happier to not be on a Princess cruise.  I get happy just knowing that I will never board another Princess ship.  The only thing which will make me happier is when Princess gets off their lazy butts and refunds my money for paid cruises, deposits, and trip insurance.  135 days since cancellation of a May 2020 cruise and the only response I get after hours on the phone is for me to be patient.

On 7/16/2020 at 2:04 PM, AncientMariner48 said:

I am extremely happy to be home in Michigan.  I am even happier to not be on a Princess cruise.  I get happy just knowing that I will never board another Princess ship.  The only thing which will make me happier is when Princess gets off their lazy butts and refunds my money for paid cruises, deposits, and trip insurance.  135 days since cancellation of a May 2020 cruise and the only response I get after hours on the phone is for me to be patient.

I totally agree with you about never booking another Princess Cruise. They should be ashamed of themselves for keeping you waiting 135 days and not refunding you your money. All they have to say is be patient. That’s TERRIBLE!!! 

Tony

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

I totally agree with you about never booking another Princess Cruise. They should be ashamed of themselves for keeping you waiting 135 days and not refunding you your money. All they have to say is be patient. That’s TERRIBLE!!! 

Tony

I wish I could get an interest free loan with no requirements for a pay back date.

• Like 1